Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Hyperlynx posted:

Would it be possible to make shaped charge rifle rounds? Like, say, .50 cal rounds with shaped charge shells instead of bullets? Then you could turn an anti-materiel rifle into an antitank rifle.

(I don't know why you'd want to, it's just something that's been floating around in my head lately)

Yes, but penetration scales off the diameter of the charge. For a .50 projectile, you're looking at a couple inches of armor penetration from the jet in the most optimistic case. Additionally, HEAT rounds' penetration is less effective when centrifugal force disperses the jet, so you're looking at an even lower practical number. Less of an issue for a smoothbore gun, but then you have all the issues that come with that.

A normal .50 BMG projectile penetrates about an inch of steel, so in theory you'd be coming out "ahead" if the spin doesn't gently caress you over... but it's nowhere near cost effective enough to be worthwhile, especially not when you can just give an infantryman a 40mm launcher instead for a hell of a lot more effective armor penetration (albeit at shorter range). So, yes, possible, but not really worth it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

So I left Facebook a long time ago. I don't miss it at all, but all of our local hobby groups exclusively organize through it and will shut you out completely if you don't have an active account. Several people in the group that prompted me to look into signing back up do so under accounts with fake information, not tied to themselves at all; these people have had these accounts for 5+ years (it's a group I got out of a long while ago and am coming back to) with no issue whatsoever, and I remember people from ~2010 and earlier doing the same who also still have their accounts working. On the other hand, every time I've tried to set up a burner account (with actual email/etc, not 10minutemail junk), my new account gets suspended in under 5 minutes, before I even finish account setup, and Facebook demands ID to prove I am who I say I am. Obviously that doesn't exist for an account explicitly intended to not show my personal information. Did Facebook just crack down hard on account signup at some point to where burner accounts can't register any more, or what's the trick for getting through their automated filtering? I don't want anything out there that I don't have some degree of control over, but these people will never switch off of Facebook even if you paid them to, so I'm stuck with either making a burner actually work or reactivating my old account and trying to purge everything I can.

If there's a better thread for this I'll go elsewhere, but it sure feels like a "stupid question" since I'm the only person who seems to have trouble with this.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

So I left Facebook a long time ago. I don't miss it at all, but all of our local hobby groups exclusively organize through it and will shut you out completely if you don't have an active account. Several people in the group that prompted me to look into signing back up do so under accounts with fake information, not tied to themselves at all; these people have had these accounts for 5+ years (it's a group I got out of a long while ago and am coming back to) with no issue whatsoever, and I remember people from ~2010 and earlier doing the same who also still have their accounts working. On the other hand, every time I've tried to set up a burner account (with actual email/etc, not 10minutemail junk), my new account gets suspended in under 5 minutes, before I even finish account setup, and Facebook demands ID to prove I am who I say I am. Obviously that doesn't exist for an account explicitly intended to not show my personal information. Did Facebook just crack down hard on account signup at some point to where burner accounts can't register any more, or what's the trick for getting through their automated filtering? I don't want anything out there that I don't have some degree of control over, but these people will never switch off of Facebook even if you paid them to, so I'm stuck with either making a burner actually work or reactivating my old account and trying to purge everything I can.

If there's a better thread for this I'll go elsewhere, but it sure feels like a "stupid question" since I'm the only person who seems to have trouble with this.

Answering my own question: looks like they did crack down hard enough that anyone who already had a burner is fine, and anyone trying to make one now is SOL, so guess I'm just hosed.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Flipperwaldt posted:

Newpipe with Sponsorblock is the best way of watching YouTube on Android.

You can install Firefox and add uBlock origin to it if you want more from YouTube than just watching videos you encounter in other apps, but ehh.

Firefox on Android also just doesn't work well due to a significant bug the developers have made zero headway on in two years, so I have a hard time recommending it for anything. I use NewPipe and it's the best way I've found. No account compatibility is annoying as hell, but it's better than ads.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've got a number of frequently visited pages that heavily depend on custom cosmetic filters in uBlock origin to make them usable, which is where that came from. I've got to agree the user experience isn't great on account of the frequent reloading. More, like, a fan of the adblocker than the browser.

Completely understand, and that's why I keep it installed as well. Sometimes you just need the ad block, everything else be damned. Just unfortunate it's lacking as a daily driver.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Tiggum posted:

I didn't even realise that was a bug because that's just what every loving app does on my phone. Alt-tab out of anything and it'll always reload when I come back.

It does it on a handful of apps on my S21+, but Firefox is far worse about it, and other apps like Chrome never have the same issue - I have tabs I haven't touched in weeks or months that immediately load right back to where I was with whatever collapsibles/etc I had open, meanwhile Firefox reloads a tab completely if it and Gmail are the only two active apps and I switch over to get a recovery code. There's something hosed up with how Firefox is handling memory that makes it more prone than any other browser on mobile.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

dokmo posted:

Can anyone tell me what this is? I know it's a cheap trinket, but what is it saying?

It's an Order of Labour of Armenia with the paint worn away completely (or never painted if it's a replica, which is likely), judging by searching.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 30, 2023

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Trapick posted:

It could be both - like the talking head on Fox News says "eye-raq" because of their weird agenda, and then Jim in Ohio hears that and thinks that's just how it's pronounced, and it flows from there.

As a Midwesterner, this is the first time I'm hearing (well, seeing) people pronounce it differently from "eye-raq" in English, including in university courses at a Big Ten university. Have never heard it another way. So yeah, it's not just "they're racists saying it to be racist".

Iran I have heard pronounced what's apparently correctly, though.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Smirking_Serpent posted:

because they both use the word "aids", op

Jokes work better when they're remotely funny.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I would do what I was doing for Book of Hours (which similarly is a lot of small bits of scattered lore) before I gave up on the game - start an Obsidian local wiki, set up a page for each "thing" you're documenting, and crosslink between them as needed. It's pretty straightforward software for doing this kind of text "database" (and it supports images too). Works for a lot of other stuff too, I use it for RPG prep and for organizing writing notes as well.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

bee posted:

Are there any half decent ai photo restoration tools out there that someone with no Photoshop skills could use? I got sent some old film scans of my Dad when he was young, but they're a bit spotty. It'd be great if I could clean them up a bit somehow.

There's plenty of people you could talk to who enjoy doing restoration work, without resorting to AI.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

alnilam posted:

I vaguely remember something from a story, probably a fantasy or medieval-ish one, where a messenger delivers a sealed letter to a nobleman or whatever and it says "please kill the bearer of this letter" because to the guy who wrote the message, the messenger guy has become a problem somehow.

I can't remember much else, can't even remember if I read it or watched it, and I'm sure it's happened in more than one story, but is there a big obvious one?

Doesn't it go clear back to the Iliad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

YggiDee posted:

If Jesus died on Good Friday and came back after three days wouldn't that be the Monday?

Some denominations mark the crucifixion on Wednesday instead (because it gives enough time for "three days and three nights" while still keeping Easter on Sunday). It's uncommon but not unheard of.

But you are correct that it doesn't line up with scripture.

e: well, it's more complicated than that, but basically if you take all four Gospels + Paul's writings you can kind of reconcile a Friday-Sunday timeline, but it relies on not using words according to their meanings and Paul is carrying a lot of the weight for an event he wasn't even there to see.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 30, 2024