Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
sooooo. I've been cleaning out my stepdad's house with my mom, and we found a variety of sex toys. specifically, three different dildos and a "red rider" strap-on. they're all brand new and unopened, mom said he bought them for her to use and she told him HELL NO. he never threw them out, he just kinda left them in their boxes, and now we've found them.

they're totally new and unused, I'd feel bad for just trashing them since some of them are pretty expensive(one's 60 bucks on amazon). Is there a place to donate new, unused sex toys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
is there a thread for collecting, identifying, etc sports cards? I found 4 shoeboxes full of what seem to be really nice condition sports cards(mostly baseball, some football) from 1962-1964, possibly full sets, and half a shoebox full of these colorful metal coins of baseball people probably from the same era

saw a mickey mantle sitting on top of one of the piles in one of the boxes and decided to just leave it be for now, except for taking the rubber bands off some of the stacks of cards because that's never a good idea to have on any cards ever

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CzarChasm posted:

I don't know that there's a thread here, but I'm assuming you're looking to see if there's any money with any of these. I'll give you the same advice I've given anyone else before: Check ebay. You mention a Mickey Mantle specifically, which is probably a good start. Double check the year of printing and the manufacturer (Fleer, Topps, etc.) and cross check that on ebay. You'll find a wide range. There's one that claims to be a loose (not in a protective Lucite sleeve) original MM rookie card, and they're asking $75 with 0 bids. There's another one that appears to be the same design card, but in better condition and in a case, and marked as a reprint, and that has over 20 bids and is currently sitting at over $300. The last oen I can see that sold was a "custom" recreation, where it appears the same image was printed, color corrected and scaled up to a more modern size card, and that sold for $4.

If it were me, I'd go through all the boxes and sort them by manufacturer and year and look for any names I recognized, and search for those specifically, see if anything stuck out. If nothing else you might be able to see if there's a complete collection there (all 200 Topps 1963 MLB cards or whatever) and see if the whole set is worth anything.

That way at least you know what you have.

But, if you were trying to offload it quickly you could try shopping them around to the local sports collectables shops and see what you would get. Probably less than what you would get putting them up on ebay and doing it all yourself, but you'd probably get your money faster.
yeah, there's probably around 3000 or 4000 cards total here I think. unfortunately some are damaged from being wrapped in rubber bands, but aside from being a bit curled, most seem in nice shape. most of them are 1962-1966 from what I've seen so far. about 3 or 4 boxes this size full:

and then there's the coins, a few hundred of them I think. same era, and some are a bit dinged up, but a lot are in excellent shape.

thanks, I'll try asking there, though not sure I'll have much luck.

edit: sifting through hundreds of ebay listings of "complete your collection!!!!" sort of poo poo, seems like a mostly-complete set of 1964 topps baseball cards in decent condition is like 400 bucks, and a complete set can be over a grand. and the coins, a complete set for 1964 can be like 500 bucks or more. sounds good to me!

edit: oh...oh, poo poo, the set that sold for 1200 was pretty beat up from what I saw, with some cards folded in half even...I'll have to go to a card shop and ask about figuring out the general quality of them all I suppose, since sets that are in good condition seem to have gone for like 5 grand, and sets in EXCELLENT condition are like 15k. I doubt they'd qualify for that last one but they're really nice overall with nice corners and stuff...hmmm. always thought sports cards were worthless nowadays, guess not.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 29, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CzarChasm posted:

Looking at your stuff the condition appears to be good, you might have a little pile of $$ you are sitting on. I've never seen those coins, but they are pretty cool

Good luck
thanks for your help(and other goons's help), I went through one of the boxes over the last few hours and picked out some noteworthy stuff. it's mostly in great shape with a few exceptions, and there's a handful of goodies like these:

definitely going to go to a professional with this stuff. the price difference on things like those mickey mantles ungraded vs graded is staggering.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If it's from 1960-1966, it's probably somewhere amidst the boxes. I was literally thinking of that exact card when sorting through things, wondering if he had one lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Silver Falcon posted:

Do give an update on how much bank you end up making on your secret hoard.
well I showed those pictures to a guy I work with who flips sports cards and his eyes bugged out of his head and he told me to go to PSA ASAP and get them investigated for potential gradeable cards at the minimum, and said we've got at least a small fortune on our hands.

And I still have two boxes to go through. Christ, I wasn't expecting this when we started (literally in some cases) digging through his house looking for things that we could donate.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Silver Falcon posted:

If you end up making a thread for this, link it here! I'd follow it.

Organza Quiz posted:

I am so invested in this now, maybe it should be a thread?
circumstances have changed since I made that last post and so for the moment I can't talk further about it, but once things are cleared up, for sure I'll make a thread for it if I'm able.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a small request, does anyone know what story this post is referencing, the person didn't respond to requests for a source and doesn't have plat soooo:

Pennsylvanian posted:

This is one of my favorite sci-fi scenarios. I read a kind of short story/novella-sized thing in a Reddit writing group where spacefaring aliens under attack from a non-sentient alien race discover humanity and basically look at us the way that the Mass Effect races look at Krogan. We can eat what's poisonous to them, survive limbs being cut off, can fire weapons that break the alien races' shoulders, and they're even shocked when some Canadian private tries to take a Queen of the alien Xenomorph-like aliens prisoner. The story follows a Russian translator working with a joint US-Soviet strike force that tries to rescue an embattled space port. It's novel-sized now and he's trying to finish it.
it sounds like a fun read

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Platystemon posted:

Well I can tell you that if the Reddit writing group is not itself /r/HFY, they will certainly be able to point you in the right direction.

Post in their “looking for story” thread if you cannot find it yourself.
alright, thanks! I don't use reddit much so I was unfamiliar.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is there a specific name for this sort of thing? I always thought it was a "hurdy gurdy" but then found out that's an entirely different thing. Is it just a "one-man band", or is there some weird old-timey name for it? The sort of setup this guy has:
https://i.imgur.com/fSnGaS8.mp4

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I sold a slabbed coin to someone on ebay. It wasn't a super valuable coin or anything, and I packaged it like I do every other coin I ship that sells for under a hundred bucks; taking a large padded envelope and folding it over repeatedly until it's about the size of the label, so making four layers of bubblewrap on both sides of the coin slab, then using three strips of tape that fully surround the package and label so that they touch the ends of themselves, which is a strategy I've found to be essentially foolproof in ensuring things make it unscathed to their destination. It results in a pretty fat ball of bubblewrap, essentially, you can step on it and it won't affect the small item inside.

the buyer contacted me saying I damaged the slab in between listing it and shipping it. I asked for photo proof of said damage and they sent me this image:

I know I didn't cut it because I don't cut any part of the package itself while packing things up, just tape. and that looks like way too clean and straight a cut on the slab, as well as too isolated, there's no crush/crack/etc damage which would indicate it got mangled in transit. they never mentioned any damage to the package otherwise either, just to say it was ugly, and have thrown away the packaging so they can't check, conveniently. the photo looks to me like they cut the packaging open, accidentally cut the slab while doing so, and are now trying to blame me for it. I'd like some advice, I'm not really looking to take this thing back for the reasons mentioned above, and I especially don't want to with the way they've talked to me, they've been condescending and/or hostile from the word go.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I dunno if this thread can help, but I found my dog chewing on this thing:

not a clue what it is, not a clue where he got it. some sort of electrical thing based on having wires coming out of both ends of it, but beyond that gently caress if I know

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
How long does a viral infection last? I got "rmv disease", some stupid malady when I had to go into the rmv to get my car registered and despite my best efforts masking up I still got something. It's not covid, it's not strep, both tests were negative, the urgent care np said it's a viral infection. I've had it since last Saturday, and the following symptoms:

-No achiness or fever or wheezing or anything like that
-Sore throat
-INSANELY AWFUL-looking mucus, like I wake up, blow my nose, and huge bloody chunks mixed with milky yellow-white mucus fill the tissues. Every time I blow my nose thereafter, no matter how gently, lots of bloody mucus, not a free-flowing bloody nose, just bloody mucus. The huge chunks are obviously buildup while sleeping, but the general bloody snot is awful and shows no real signs of going away.

last night I started to lose my voice as well, which is a problem since my job involves a lot of yelling at the top of my lungs. I've noticed my sore throat is largely gone, but definitely have started feeling the light tickling that leads to harrumphing to get some poo poo out of your lungs since my voice started to go, so I'm guessing whatever it is is moving southwards from my sinuses. Also my normal voice is currently somewhere between patty and selma and the cracking voice register kid from the simpsons.

Should I go to the ER, should I go back to the urgent care and see if they can prescribe something, or should I check with my doctor on Monday? Aside from the horrible snot and now the harrumphing, there's no other problems really, it's weirdly isolated.

Apologies if there is a general medical questions ask thread, I could've sworn there was one but I can't find it using the app atm

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alright, thanks! The bloody mucus is lasting longer than it usually does when I have a sinus infection or similar malady, but maybe that's just me getting older and less resilient to sickness.

Guess I'll see where the garbage decides to go, if it starts taking up residence in my lungs, I guess that's when I'll consider more than just posting on the internet about it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
3 tests, two of my own, one by the doctor.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got the flu vaccine alongside the covid booster so that's possible, that it is the flu and it's just hitting me in an "incomplete" way. The NP was in a hurry with a bunch of people in the office, she was basically in and out both times I saw her, so it wouldn't surprise me that they just plain forgot to test for it while rushing to the next patient.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have about 14 pounds of old CDs both of my own and from family and friends to dispose of, and was wondering the best place to dispose of them through. I've heard of Greendisk, but I'm not sure if they're legit or the best option. I'm in massachusetts, but it's difficult to find where I can properly dispose of these in a place they won't be just chucked in a landfill. they're mostly not music CDs, mostly blank data CDs(lots of blank CD-Rs that are super archaic and basically worthless data-wise anyways, like, 70mb in some cases). the recycling locator websites basically say "donate them or turn them into ~crafts!~" which is stupid and irrelevant here.

Any help in finding a good disposal method for these would be appreciated. also, old fire extinguishers and spray cans too, if possible, I was able to properly dispose of the old light bulbs, batteries, and electronic cables I had set aside to get rid of, but the CDs and fire extinguishers are all that's left to dispose of.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ivory goods are still illegal to sell no matter how old, right? My stepdad passed away almost two years ago now and left behind some stuff from his grandparents. some of it is ivory-handled dinnerware, as well as some ivory statuettes and other assorted trinkets from probably the late 1800s/early 1900s. one of them is a super neat bust of what looks to be a native african with their hair coming to a point from four separate connections of ivory, with empty air between/underneath them, so I think it was all carved from a single piece that way.

it's fine if so, they're neat trinkets regardless, but if I can sell them for any appreciable amount I'd do that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you want someone else to look up relevant legislation, you need to provide a location.
ah, yeah, I'm in massachusetts.

going through my stepdad's stuff is just opening entire worlds of "oh god how do I even catalog things like this", like really really old silverware from the 1800s and possibly older, the kind that's super tarnished with no name or date on it, just a bunch of stamps indicating the creator. or these weird plastic things that appear to be made from like, the oldest plastic ever made. just is definitely plastic, but definitely unbelievably old. we were given a month to clear out his house of anything we were taking or donating, before the house was going to be completely overhauled and resold. so over the last couple years we've been going through everything we salvaged from it bit by bit.

maybe I should make a thread.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 13, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Slimy Hog posted:

I'd read it
what subforum would be good for that sort of thread? Ask/tell? Gbs? Not pmf because I'd want help identifying stuff in some cases

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

YggiDee posted:

When I buy a cured sausage at the supermarket why is it tied up in a tiny rope?
hey, don't yuck its yum

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
took a picture of the little plastic figurines and such that are so unbelievably brittle that they literally feel like they will break in my hand just from a light breeze. one of them was already slightly broken when I found them. It is really hard to convey just how fragile they feel without holding them yourself. Showed them to my uncle, who used to be an antiques dealer, and he said they were "Celluloid" figures, an extremely old plastic-like polymer, the stuff used in film reels before switching to something that didn't arbitrarily burst into flame

also, found this inside an old tin toy delivery truck from my stepdad's childhood. yes, it's a pez dispenser. yes, you use it exactly how you think you would to get the pez out.

it was part of a line of "Pez Shooters" that included a variety of different colored ones, this was the only one that looked like a real gun. the other primary one was red and cream colored, so was very clearly a toy, and can be sold on ebay. this one cannot, so I might auction it off on here.

what subforum would be best for a thread where I post stuff I found at my stepdad's house? GBS? Ask/Tell? I'd just do the PMF thing like with my UPS thread, but I want to be able to ask questions from folks on the fly for identifying stuff or have people chime in with info about the random old poo poo from his place that I post.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

hooah posted:

True, but there has to be a space to mount the towel bar(s).
already mentioned but get one of those adhesive hooks. You can't tell me there's no room for one of those in your bathroom anywhere.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

actionjackson posted:

adhesive won't stick in a bathroom, assuming you are running a shower in there
??? I've got two bathroom hooks that have been stuck to the wall of my shower for like a decade at least. There's adhesives that absolutely work in a bathroom environment, and in the shower itself to boot, so long as they're not applied while it's wet.

5 seconds on Amazon resulted in this, cheap and easy, adheres to the outside of shower doors too, and is highly rated
https://a.co/d/erRhZrP

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I feel like I've heard of a procedure or shot or something to make yourself not allergic to a specific animal like your own pets. What's the name of it, and has anyone here gotten it? My allergies in general are horrible, but especially with animals.

That doesn't mean I'll ever not own dogs, though, because dogs are great, but if there is something I can have done to slightly reduce the reaction I have to them, that would be cool.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

NotNut posted:

What's the purpose of bed frames? What's the advantage over putting the box spring on the floor?
among other things mentioned, it also helps reduce or prevent altogether critters from getting to your mattress if you live somewhere with a bug or rodent problem.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got two of these huge 30 gallon grey bins at a rummage sale, but neither have lids. I've been trying to find a place to buy replacements but I can only find bin + lid together including on the manufacturer's site itself. is there any way to get replacement lids for these?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
is there a website that like, lets you put in a video url for youtube and tells you what that video was, for videos that have been privated or taken down? sometimes I have a video in my watch queue and it's been privated or deleted and I'm curious as to what the hell it was. very likely no, but doesn't hurt to ask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
For the life of me I can't remember what the name of those hinges that automatically like, slow down right before they close are called. I want to get some small ones so I can lay my Detolf glass cabinets on their sides and still be able to open the glass doors without the possibility of accidentally letting go of the door and it slamming down and possibly breaking the glass. Anyone know?