Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Are there any good guides to making money via monetizing social media accounts? A lot of results I found seem to be basic marketing bullshit--not like teaching you but trying to sell a product or service. Of course this is to be expected since it's marketing people but I'm hoping some goons can point me in the right direction. My goal is primarily on insta right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Shut up Meg posted:

How big are your tits?

Classic Meg.

Leal posted:

1: Do you have a conventionally attractive body form and are your tits sizeable?
-1.a: Are you fine with taking pictures of them for strangers on the internet?
-1.b: Do you accept someone finding out who you are and spreading those pictures amongst your friends, family, coworkers and teachers?
-1.c Do you accept weirdos getting clingy and trying to form a relationship where they think posting comments and giving you money owes them privileges?

If yes then be a thot. If not...

2: Are you already rich and own a bunch of stuff that shows how wealthy you are (expensive cars, a high powered gaming PC, useless kickstarter appliances that are made for 1 thing that you can easily do by hand)?

If yes then brag about how wealthy you are and get people to want to vicariously live through you cause they'll never be able to afford such things. If not...

3: Are you cool with preaching the virtues of adolf hitler and how cool and good white supremacy is and have the mental creativity to claim everything in existence is the fault of minorities and everything is an attack on the white race?

If yes then be a political person.

Once the viewers go up send an email to dollar shave club and every future post should dedicate 25% of it to your new sponsor.

I understand the responses but I meant more from a practice angle. Dos and donts. Income models. Etc. For #1 basically yes, but not the focus. #2 not really rich but this would be lifestyle-related. #3 I'm not an rear end in a top hat (well, not that kind of an rear end in a top hat).

I'm just looking for some semi-passive income documenting a hobby/lifestyle that I do anyways. I know someone who knows someone in my place of work that runs a similar thing that would be competing so I don't want to ask her due to that and not knowing her. But I know that person gets press and VIP access at events due to their content and that alone would be great. This person isn't even really hitting any #1-3 above.

Maybe just the wrong place to ask. Thanks anyways, goons.

Speaking of, wasn't Pioneer Woman a goon? I don't know if I'm misremembering.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Motronic posted:

So you're looking for income or D-list fame? Because those are two different things, that could potentially be put together but don't necessarily go together.

Just income. gently caress fame.

edit: oh, I'm not talking VIP like "backstage at the Kendrick Lamar" concert-level but like local city-event level with some free poo poo.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 25, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Motronic posted:

So it then comes down to the type of content you could produce that would be interesting to exactly which audience.

There are audiences that are very receptive to patreon, others that are happy to buy merch, others that are good for monetizing videos and basically getting paid with youtube ad rev, audiences where pimping products works so you get paid by the manufacturers.........

Your question is so general as to be unanswerable.

Yeah, that makes sense. I kind of hosed it up by not wanting to say exactly what it is. It's not some poo poo that is genius and I'm afraid of someone stealing but I just don't want to connect it to my SA account. As for product placement etc I'm totally open to that. I just wasn't sure, for instance, if it's normal to be seeking sponsors out or if I just wait to be approached if I hit some level of content interaction. I'm sure if I had a million followers I'd be the prettiest girl at the dance but until then not sure how much I need to actively seek out sponsors.

Anyways, I'm gonna back out of seeking advice here. I'll keep sifting through garbage internet. My default is to use the goon-filter on the internet so I wasn't sure if someone would have some links/specific advice handy.

Sincere thanks, thread.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 26, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Last post I'll probably make. I was done but this was a lot of thought and effort so I wanted to return the attention. I have a masters and a professional career. My career affords me a lot of free time during the work day (like the whole day sometimes) but I have to be at a physical office; on top of that I'd basically be documenting what I do anyways and then filling my free time with converting it to content. Your advice is completely on-point, though. I once met someone who was dropping out of college in senior year to be a twitch streamer and I tried explaining basically what you said. (In reality they were probably failing out and made up an excuse.)

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

mike12345 posted:

Let's say cops shoot a guy running away from them (maybe he's unarmed), and his family sues the police department for manslaughter. Who represents the cops in court? A state attorney?

Someone better than me may come along but I couldn't find much through some research this morning. I would assume the state can represent the police through state attorneys but they probably also have union lawyers to back up their organization gang. I looked up a few high-profile police murders from recent memory and the articles aren't saying how they're represented.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

My car key broke recently. Putting the key back in the rest of the chassis doesn't work--it just falls out again. Is it fine if I just superglue the key back in or is there something that I am not considering?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Maha posted:

What was that one passage from a declassified CIA (FBI?) field manual that went something like "have other people do as much of the work as possible"?

I think this is it: https://www.cia.gov/news-information/featured-story-archive/2012-featured-story-archive/simple-sabotage.html There's a short summary and also the full manual. If this isn't what you're looking for I can dig up my posts from the Corporate thread.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Maha posted:

This is what Google kept giving me, but I don't think it's what I'm looking for. The way I remember it, the "use as much of other people's work as possible" was supposed to be actual helpful advice for agents, not bad advice to sabotage organizations.

Oh, I guess I misread that. I thought you meant take up their work time. Do you mean passing off work that you're responsible for so that someone else has to do it instead?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Shoot me your digits and i'll hit you up in like 8 months.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

MikeStmria posted:

How do professional lurkers find good threads to lurk into ?

Lurkers don't post. You done hosed up.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Bioshuffle posted:

I have some doc marten loafers I found at Ross, and I can not for the life of me find any information about them.

The only identifying marks are on the label, which reads ASHFELD AW004 SK 01 R.

Where the hell can I buy another pair? Everywhere I look, they're sold out. They're the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever owned. After 4 years, they're starting to show some wear and tear and I need a replacement badly.

If I get any other Doc Marten shoes with the same size, will they fit my feet the same?

I really don't have any idea about shoes but given that you can't find them in stock anywhere and you found it at a discount store that buys items that big stores are trying to offload it might have even been discontinued by the time you bought them at Ross.

Alternatively, my Stitch Fix stylist sent me these and they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. You could also consider signing up for Stitch Fix and telling them about the shoe in case they can find something similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxDSYIOWQT8

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

regulargonzalez posted:

That's a cool and interesting page but it seems like the inverse of what I'm looking for

Yet at the same time exactly what you were looking for. Very meta.

Seriously, an example you used, "down," is one of the examples listed on that page.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

ineptmule posted:

That is indeed a teapot

I still think it’s crazy to scour a 10 hour video and catalogue every teapot

I like how they said "teapots that may or may not have been discovered yet" implying that, real or not, the commenter believes that others are rushing to find the teapots.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Slimy Hog posted:

Check the link, the teapots are definitely real.

I meant if the other people looking were real, not the teapots, but this addresses it, wow:

Tesseraction posted:

Scroll through the comments and between the people making jokes about procrastination are people excitedly timestamping a new discovery.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Speaking of SA Mart (on this page) I have a bunch of old board games (circa 2008-2015, nerdy not basic) that I want to sell off. However, I only have experience shipping small items in basic pre-set size USPS boxes. The boardgames are often heavy or oddly-shaped. I want to sell the games at a fair price but don't want to lose all of the gross income on paying for expensive shipping. Any tips would be appreciated.

I do have local and popular game stores but they're hardcore about not letting you advertise sales.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I am confused by what you mean by proportion. Could you put it in different words or maybe say what your end goal is?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Sometimes ill do that to find an old reply but almost always say its a placeholder and add real content afterwards.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Badger of Basra posted:

(This question is about the US, since I don’t know if other countries’ regulations are different)

How do pharmaceutical companies come up with the trade names for new medicines? Do they just hire ad companies to do it?

I feel like I read somewhere that one of the rules is the name can’t actually mean anything, so I’m curious how ad companies even go about making up the names.

Many of the oldest drugs were named by shortening the systematic chemical name for the compound. However, the AMA-USP Nomenclature Committee quickly realized that a different way of naming drugs was needed and published a list of guiding principles to systematize nomenclature and move away from names derived from the chemical name of a substance.16 At that time, the AMA-USP Nomenclature Committee recognized 3 difficulties with chemically derived names: (1) the use of chemical syllables led to “complex, unmanageable” names for large classes of chemically related drugs; (2) common, chemically derived syllables (eg, di-, chlor-, meth-) were so overused that names were becoming less distinctive; and (3) some chemical compounds were so complex that the names derived from the proper chemical name were not meaningful to physicians.

Consequently, most USAN now include a stem. A stem consists of syllables—usually at the end of the name—that denote a chemical structure, indication, or action at a specific receptor. For example, in the name imatinib, the -tinib stem refers to the drug’s action as a tyrosine kinase (TYK) inhibitor. Occasionally, a substem is used to further classify a drug. Thus, -citinib refers to drugs inhibiting a specific family of TYK inhibitors, the Janus kinases. There are currently over 600 stems and substems that have been defined for classes of drugs

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I'm not going to defend them but sometimes when I'm getting gas the station has a notice that if you use credit (or debit maybe? i don't remember) they'll charge you a static amount so that they can ensure that the money will be there and then they'll later change the amount when they find your total charge. Might not be your situation at all but wanted to through that out there.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

mike12345 posted:

Is there a term in the business world to denote activities that are only tangentially related to your work? Like, say, buying beverages for a business meeting. Takes up time, kinda stupid, but you still got to do it. I need it for my project tracker, and so far I've been using "small poo poo" as a label. There's probably a more glamourous word for that stuff, I guess.

Miscellany? Assorted Tasks?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

crossposting because I am desperate:

The Sean posted:

Over the past few days my cat has started to constantly lick his arm in the same area and now this has progressed to him being without hair on a few inches of his arm. We're trying to constantly keep him under watch but if he's awake he's trying to lick it. I think this is referred to as a hot spot. We called vets in our area but they're not accepting pets for days. Can anyone please offer some advice? I want to wrap his arm or something but he's too stubborn and smart to keep a wrap on him.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Thank you, folks. And I'm planning on a vet but just can't for a few days.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

tuyop posted:

My wife and I have been thinking about dumb teen movies from the early 2000s. Like Scary Movie, The Core, Idle Hands, The Grudge, Loser, even Mean Girls (though that one’s not dumb) stuff like that.

What is the current batch of that genre? Like, what are 14-19-year-olds watching now that they’ll cringe at later but also enjoy as guilty nostalgia pleasures?

I don't exactly know because I don't even know anyone in that category, but Booksmart seemed to fit the genre of "send off/parties/existential crisis from graduating high school." It was okay movie; it will probably scratch that itch for you. It was kind of like a modern Superbad, without exactly trying to be.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Im trying to remember the name of someone related to music in the 90s.

On napster etc so many rap songs woukd be interruped by this dude who would yell "dj _______!" In the first 30 sec or so, even though he didnt work on the track. Just fuckin every song in rap/hip hop/rnb. Annoying as gently caress in the past but annoying rn bc I cant remember his name. Im pretty sure when he yelled his name it was echoed.

For more detail, i totally get when people like Khaled and Mike WiLL rep themselves on tracks they produced but the dude above was just a parasite.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 12, 2020

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Yes. Thank you.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Im also going to vote douchebag.

I also dislike when people just park at the entrance of a store and are like "parking spots are for losers."

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Platystemon posted:

Babe! It’s 4pm! Time for your hiccup cure!

I like your welcoming but approach, but also:

"No! No, no, don't come in! I just have hiccups!"

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Ancillary Character posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Foz9KKqxZ-I

It was MadTV, the superior Saturday night sketch show.

Lets politely argue this point over PMs. (A ton of talented comedians on madtv, tho)

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Helith posted:

Germ theory, basic hygiene and basic medical care. We’re talking stuff as basic as wash your hands before touching any wounds or attempting surgery.. It took a surprisingly long time for people and doctors to work that one out.

Tiggum posted:

Good luck getting anyone to believe you though.

Here's a summary of the story of an actual doctor doing actual studies, not just a random time traveler, being mocked and killed for suggesting you wash your hands. Doctors were touching cadavers and then moving on to deliver babies and couldn't make the connection that it was dangerous.

quote:

Despite various publications of results where hand washing reduced mortality to below 1%, Semmelweis's observations conflicted with the established scientific and medical opinions of the time and his ideas were rejected by the medical community. He could offer no acceptable scientific explanation for his findings, and some doctors were offended at the suggestion that they should wash their hands and mocked him for it. In 1865, the increasingly outspoken Semmelweis supposedly suffered a nervous breakdown and was committed to an asylum by his colleagues. He died 14 days later after being beaten by the guards, from a gangrenous wound on his right hand which might have been caused by the beating. Semmelweis's practice earned widespread acceptance only years after his death, when Louis Pasteur confirmed the germ theory, and Joseph Lister, acting on the French microbiologist's research, practised and operated using hygienic methods, with great success.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignaz_Semmelweis

So, not telling people to wash their hands, sadly, increases your own chances of survival. Note: Helith kind of said this but I wanted to expand on how vilified the concept was.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Crumps Brother posted:

I went on a bike ride today and the map I rode ended up looking like a really specific either video game or cartoon character. I can see the character in my head, but I just can't place it.

The two little spots on the second line from the top are the eyes above an agape mouth. Can anyone else place it? It's kind of driving me crazy.

https://weirdmarioenemies.tumblr.com/post/177624782625/name-fronk-debut-warioware-inc-mega

I can't find the right pic, but this is close. Warioware had little pixel weirdos that kind of looked like that.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Storming here. Florida. Power flickered for a bit. Half the rooms in the apt have power and the other half dont. I called my apt mgmt but havent hear back yet and I dont know what to do. Flipping the breakers doesnt seem to help.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

tuyop posted:

I hope you stay safe! Did you have a question?

Yeah "what the hell do i do?"

Moo the cow posted:

Have you checked you don't have a second set of breakers elsewhere?

I only have one set of breakers. I dont have a master breaker like I feel Ive had at earlier places Ive lived at. It may be bc Im in a large complex.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Thank you for your responses. An extra bonus touch was hearing that from someone with a Ron Swanson avitar.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Manager Hoyden posted:

Oh really please tell me more that is my stupid/small question

I'd be interested in hearing your support that marriage isn't inherently misogynistic from sociocultural perspectives from many different cultures across the world. That's my small question.

Also, really super cool that you used the "jerk off emote" alone, with no other words, to pretend that marriage isn't misogynistic.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Organza Quiz posted:

You're moving the goalposts. No one's claiming that marriage hasn't historically in many cultures been misogynistic, but that's a totally different statement from saying that marriage is always as a current concept in all cultures misogynistic. HTH.

Okay, maybe i misunderstood. My bad. I don't think it "has to be misogynistic" but has cultural roots there.

vvvv yeah, i don't know what you're asking but i'd rather just reflect on what i thought I read then dig a hole

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Powered Descent posted:

Start a competing pool that features revolutionary new features like "actually buying the tickets" and "showing people the tickets", minus a reasonable* operators' fee for yourself.

* However you define that.

I have directly witnessed two situations the OP described. I have also heard about two of these by proxy via people I know in different companies/departments. The people i witnessed doing this were 100% dishonest and selfish people
One of them was volunteering at a company event packaging christmas toys for kids of people who work there. Toys were supposed to be random but she got caught going through other peoples bags to find "the best toys" to swap into her childrens bags.

The only solution, OP, is to run your own pool but two problems.

1) from my (completely unscientific) conclusion, to run this it seems a requirement is dishonestly, so you may not be cut out for that. (Im mostly kidding on this one).
2) the person running the pool is gonna get pissed af for you coming up on their terf and they will likely retaliate in some manner. The people who dont care about the lack of transparency are gonna go all centrist on you and label you as a trouble maker and disruptive. The people who also do care about lack of transparency either wont take your back bc they dont want trouble or they will but it will be too insignificant.

Finally, a possible strategy is scorched earth. If you have an anonymous reporting mechanism, tell some authority like HR (tho theyre worthless) and ruin it. This ruins it for everyone but if a winning ticket comes up that person running it will 100% steal all the money and not only is it ruined for everyone but they subsidized the dishonest person's win.

E: tbc, reporting this would not be "they arent sharing ingormation!" But instead "they are using time on the clock and company resources for their own personal game." Im not a narc, though, so I dont have experience with this.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 4, 2020

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Professor Shark posted:

If I have an image of an actor/actress in my mind but cannot recall what movie I remember them from, what is out there that would help me? I remember an actress from the 00's/10's but for the life of me cannot think of what they were in and I'm usually pretty good at using clues to help me solve stuff like this.

Edit: Not a porn thing, I just hate not being able to remember or find things and they get stuck in my head

This is kind of my thing. Any idea or detail at all? Age, race, gender, type of genre, etc?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Boba Pearl posted:

How do people find new music? I've tried spotify radio and pandora, but I don't really get a lot of new things, I find maybe one or two songs I like each week.

Pandora was terrible when I used it. Their limited library led to constant repetition of music. I left about 4 years ago, not sure if it changed.

Spotify has been amazing, though. I have an "all music" category with over 8 days of music saved. Then I have things broken down into various categories (main three ones being a gradient from Lounging to Chill to Crushing It). My lists are heavily curated. I never add a full album, I'll add exactly the songs I want. I feel like this has helped because each week Spotify makes a "Discover Weekly" where they suggest music based on your listening habits and 60-80% of it really matches my tastes and is new to me. So, in short: curation on my end and Spotify's recommendations have really worked out for me.

Youtube's algorithm is a miss 95% of the time but sometimes tosses me new music based on my habits.

What type of new music are you looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

The reason for posting this question is I am not handy at all.

I live in a rental community that has a service auto-included for trash removal. The company provides every resident with the same exact in-doors/kitchen trash can and you put it out at night time and they take it away and leave you the same can. Recently they switched companies, replaced our cans and the new ones suck. The lid is designed to auto-close and I hate it. Like, when preparing dinner I like keeping it open so I can just toss unneeded parts without touching the trashcan. Now the only option is to keep opening it or making a pile of waste; sure I could do the latter but I hate how it looks.

Are trashcan lids completely interchangeable? Or do companies have more propriety designs so you have to use their brand (like Sony does with a ton of stuff)? This company only sells one style and sells in bulk to companies so I can't just go buy one from them.

edit: also, tbc, it closes incredibly quickly and doesn't open all the way. so, clearing a plat at the end of a meal is hard (not the worst thing, but just stupid) since you only have one hand as one is taken up with the lid.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 3, 2020