Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What could make link.theatlantic.com URLs not resolve for me? I do have NextDNS, but I've tried with it off (as well as with uBlock and uMatrix turned off) and the links still don't resolve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

mystes posted:

Does it work in another browser?

If not, if you're using firefox, does it work with dns over https enabled?

Assuming you are using windows, if you open powershell and run "resolve-dnsname link.theatlantic.com" can it resolve an ip address for the domain?

If it's not a dns problem, you could also open the network inspector in the developers tools of your browser and check "preserve log" (chrome) at the top or "persist logs" from the gear menu at the upper right (firefox) and then open one of the links to try to see what's going on but that's more complicated.

Honestly, if you're using umatrix my initial guess would be that you're most likely somehow preventing it from working with extensions, even if it seems to not work even with those disabled.

You could also try asking in the haus of tech support https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170

I didn't think of pinging the URL (I really should have). When I had NextDNS enabled, link.theatlantic.com pinged localhost. When I disabled NextDNS, a ping tries to hit haproxy-prod-link-nlb-9484743b55d7f6b1.elb.us-east-1.amazonaws.com (3.226.166.212) but never gets a response.

Edit: Turns out it was uBlock Origin. I thought I'd tested without that in the picture, but evidently not.

hooah fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 29, 2024

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I ordered an item from Etsy last month. Somehow, Etsy had two nearly-identical addresses on file - one correct, and one (the default, of course) with the last two digits of the zip code transposed. This has led to the package being misdelivered several times. The shipper has updated the information with DHL, but I don't know if that's translated to the USPS. I'm thinking about going to the post office to see if they can correct the problem. If I do, will I need to go to the post office closest to where the package is, or can I go to my closest office?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there an effective way to rinse out an empty soap bottle (like a refill that I've used all of)? Rinsing seems... futile.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I thought for recycling purposes things should be pretty clean. Granted, end-user plastic recycling is pretty much a scam...

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Swapping the cables shouldnt interfere with that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tiggum posted:

Won't solve the problem though, which is that the positions keep resetting to default. If they were straight side-by-side it would, but they're not so it won't.

Oh, I misunderstood the problem. I thought it was just the monitors swapping position.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Do Lyft and Uber charge more for transporting a family vs. just yourself (for the same class of ride)? I tried finding this answer on their websites but was unsuccessful, which makes me suspicious.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What could cause wifi to not actually serve internet? I'm at a hotel that has wifi for guests, but after I connect my Android phone, nothing works. My brother-in-law reported the same thing on his iPhone. I didn't bring any kind of computer to check. I tried all the things I had access to on this page but nothing fixed it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hyperlynx posted:

Probably a captive portal. Go to a website (any website) and see if you get redirected to an entry page from the hotel.

Or ask the hotel reception.

It kinda is a captive portal, but not the usual kind - it doesn't redirect or anything. Just doesn't connect. I had to go to a specific site and sell my email first.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
AT&T upgraded our service yesterday from 300 Mbps to 500. However, only their speed test shows the speed at that new level. Everything else shows a slight bump from about 310 Mbps to maybe 330. Is there any way to get them to investigate? I assume they'll just point to their own tool and wash their hands, but it'd be nice of there's some way to get them to loop deeper.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, I know the actual speed depends on lots of factors, it just seems weird that a 66% theoretical improvement would end up being maybe a 10% actual improvement. Especially since I usually saw slightly above 300 Mbps on our previous plan.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

have you tried using a less crap desktop rss app like rss guard?
i tried thunderbird briefly but its rss support seemed like a pain in the rear end to use compared to proper rss readers

Oh poo poo, two-way synching? Then I could use this on my computers and Inoreader's app on my phone. This is intriguing... Thank you!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tiggum posted:

No. How do I install this? I'm using Linux Mint and I need a file I can download and double-click to make the thing go.

Mint's got an apt/yum-like thing, right? See if it's in there. There are also installation instructions in the documentation. I'll be installing it later (maybe today) on a Fedora spin, so I'll see if there's anything to note when I get to that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It's more wellness influencers than in-person, in my understanding.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tiggum posted:

Why are mass-produced cigarettes referred to as "tailor made"?

They are? Where? I've never been a smoker, but have never heard that term used for cigarettes.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I assumed that the Android Auto system needs consistent data connections, not just power. That said, I was able to mount the phone as a drive on my PC and copy files off of it, which verifies that the data connection on the phone is fine. So now I dunno what's going on. Maybe it is the car. Which would suck, because the car's a 2022 model and definitely shouldn't be breaking yet.

Have you tried a different cable in your car yet?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Any ideas where in the US I would be able to find a small number of paper grocery bags? Stores around here don't seem to have them as an option when checking out, and I don't need 50, which is the smallest number I can find to buy from online.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

YggiDee posted:

why do I keep seeing wrist braces and compression gloves with copper in them? what does the copper do. is wrapping myself in a metal actually beneficial or is this an offshoot of crystal healing

It doesn't do anything related to healing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, now I'm curious what issue folks have with the Atlantic.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tesseraction posted:

I opened a new tab and scrolled down a little bit

then I got this fuckin' gem https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2024/05/joe-biden-antisemitism-gaza-protests/678282/

Don't both-sides this Joe, tell those kids getting the poo poo kicked out of them to stop being antisemites.

Yeah, I haven't been happy with their headlines (and snippets from the newsletter) I've seen regarding the college protests, but I thought overall they were fairly well regarded?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Should the sentence "He became a true Goon making GBS threads his pants at every opportunity" have a comma after Goon? Or maybe a semicolon? Or just nothing?

It'd be either a colon or some kind of dash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have a wifi-enabled sprinkler controller and the router is about 20 feet away. The signal goes through an exterior wall and (obliquely) through an interior wall. Sometimes the Unifi app reports that the sprinkler controller has excellent signal, sometimes it's all the way to poor. What could cause the connection quality to vary so much when neither thing moves?