Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Junkenstein posted:

The best Channel 4 music show was actually The White Room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LTlQJ3-tKA

Anything with Rocket From The Crypt is automatically the best thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Irisi posted:

BBC4 right now, Victoria Coren-Mitchel being exceedingly sarcastic about the Bohemians, it's incredible. Never before have I seen a presenter gleefully rip apart her subject matter within the first third of the programme before.

There's a point in the programme where she reads aloud "the worst gay poetry in the world" that has to be seen to be believed.

Enjoyed this but found the personal angle a bit jarring at times. Poetry bit was needlessly smug imo: "Oh this guy subverted expectations of class & sexuality about 40 years before anyone else but listen to this lovely poetry he wrote lolz."

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Also the complaining about grape and peanut as a flavour combination was infuriating too.

Sounds like a weird combo to me too tbh

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Taear posted:

I always wonder how many people actually apply to these shows. I know they have auditions and etc beforehand but surely it's not that many? I can't even imagine enough people watch it to keep a decent stock of new contestants especially if you're auditioning them and cutting out the boring ones.

There was a dating show being filmed at a bar I was in a couple of weeks ago, it was awkward as gently caress and I'm amazed anyone wants to put themselves through that. What exactly do you get out of it? (I suppose they pay for the meal??)

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Yeah it's great. I like everything Sharon Horgan's done, but was really surprised by how good Rob Delaney is. Supporting cast are brilliant too, especially the Scottish couple and her sociopath brother.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Toast is really lazily written imo (just the same 4 or 5 jokes repeated ad nauseam) but the great cast saves it. If Matt Berry put as much effort into it as his bucolic prog albums it'd be a classic.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

That sounds like an extremely self-important thing to do.

My illusion of Adele as a friendly humble lady is shattered.

She's also a Tory who whines about how much tax she pays, despite being incredibly rich, if that helps.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Yeah it's a bad programme for normal adult people. If kids or nerds are into it I can accept that.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Yep, the companion stuff is so odd to me. Clara is awful - I think that's something a lot of fans agree on, but she's sooo dull. And you'll get fans justifying the contradictions in the relationships between characters, and the weird tone shifts, the plotholes etc. when it's clear to anyone else that it's just pisspoor writing. Probably a result of all the different egotistical fanboy writers they employ who just have to leave their legacy on the series.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

drunkill posted:

Having not read the book although knowing a bit about the napolionic wars, War and Peace was amazing. The production values are through the roof and it is very beautiful in cinematography and set/location filming. The costumes are great and the cast is good.

First episode established the characters and set the scene with a nice battle sequence. Really looking forward to the other 5 episodes.

I made a thread for it because i saw no discussion of it in tviv, then I remembered to check this thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758871

Good OP, will check this out. Also Tuppence Middleton is a funny-as-gently caress name, good on her parents.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Rondette posted:

Also had to laugh at the 18 year old lad parroting other's opinions in his parent's spare room which was decorated for a small girl.

They did a zoom on the kitchen roll by his bed, which I thought was a cheap shot (cos ALL 18-year-olds wank alot, not just the deluded rape-apologists.)

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

He's popular with bellends across the class spectrum, a true man of the people.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Taear posted:

And I'm sort of sad to see BBC3 go because it was a good place for experimenting. Utterly bizzare whacky poo poo will never get put onto BBC1/2.

I think they paid lip-service to the idea of putting some BBC3-style programmes on BBC1/2, but seeing as they also have to appease Daily Express reading Tories 24/7 now it's not going to happen is it?

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Fresh Meat is great and I had no idea people weren't into the last series cos it was obviously the best one yet.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Watching The Night Manager and the weirdest thing about it is how bad Olivia Colman's been so far

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

ineptmule posted:

Does anyone understand the process of building the legend a bit better than I do? I don't feel like I get exactly what happened down in Devon.

No. Honestly I was on my phone a bit because I'm not finding it that compelling, but it seemed like they missed out a few scenes. I've never read the book.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

It's the media equivalent of tea and toast. Nothing bad can happen while you're listening to Radio 4.

Idk they have a lot of stuff about people dying of cancer or just generally talking about death which I realise is important but I don't really want to fall asleep thinking about it.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Really not sure what to think about this series of Fresh Meat. I am enjoying it, but it seems to have lost something since the previous three. I'm not laughing half as much and sometimes it just feels like they're kind of going through the motions. Though I tend to do that on first viewing, I'll probably watch it a bunch more times and realise it's actually still excellent. In any case, hopefully the finale is a good send off.

Last night's seemed a bit weaker than usual, I'm the same re: appreciating it more on second viewing though.

101 posted:

I'm absolutley loving it so far. Especially Kingsley having a breakdown over his choice to go to Uni

I think Oregan's plot has been awful though but I never liked her much to begin with.

I kind of like how deluded they've made Oregon, although maybe they take it a bit too far at times. Kingsley's new girlfriend has been great too - the stuff about him excusing her behaviour because he thought she was Italian cracked me up.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

I watched the 1st two episodes of Flowers and they were funny and dark, and a sombre reminder that even the most private, heart-wrenching moments of your life will possibly be ruined by awful people, because there is no god.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Like most radio deejays Evans is a personality vacuum if you scrape away that wafer-thin layer of middle-aged-lad shtick.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

I think its because people just empathise with her quite easily. She might be a millionaire, but she'll still chat away on stage in a colloquial manner and stop once in a while to sip her tea and then just burst into the next song.

She moans obnoxiously about how much tax she pays and is a massive tory though. Her and Gary Barlow should get together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

and every single episode of sherlock s4 was loving horrendous

I've been told by one of my friends (and all of twitter) to watch the paedo episode but I don't think I will, cos I can't imagine how it won't be offensively poo poo