Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
This Derren Brown thing is such a cop out, they could have at least done a vomit comet style situation rather than a poo poo simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madey
Sep 17, 2007

Figaro posted:

I'm pretty sure the whole things only come off right because the victim is as thick as poo poo.

Yes, or they are so meek they just go along with it as to not embarrass anybody.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I thought it was a bit hamfisted to be honest.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Please tell me that wasn't a pun...

Yeah. Sorry.

I thought that las scene was going to put on some bizarre horror twist where he was gonna turn round with a snout or go down to a dungeon with a pig or something. Gripping stuff though.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

Never mind Ten o clock live, what the christ was that on afterwards.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I think I have just seen a new low in advertising on espn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XZ5MOB3nww

Paddy Power sends a load of transgendered people to a horse racing day and then tries to guess which ones are female and which are transgendered. Choice quotes include "a dog no wait a man" and good luck with that Ian".
How did that get past advertising standards? :psyduck:

madey
Sep 17, 2007

Has anyone received their youview boxes yet? I got an email saying my one is coming Saturday and I'm quite excited tbh.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

Roidweiser posted:

What happened there?

Someone got spoken to about protesting the Olympic torch by the police for what they posted here. I doubt the met are going to enforce the youview confidentiality agreement though also a lot of people are talking about it so im not even sure it breaks the agreement.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

The thick of it was very good but not funny in the slightest. Ok maybe the credits sequences but that's it.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

So they're changing genres to true life (p)re-enactment, maybe that's why it wasn't funny it was just what actually happened. I also realised last night that if they go down the Leveson route they already have a baldy lord in the wings to preside over matters which would be amazing.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

The BBC just broadcasted a full minute apology for accusing a woman of being a "nazi loving aristocrat". Quite bizarre.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I'm not really sure that utopia has a good enough plot or character development to justify having multiple scenes that are purely for shock factor. I could maybe understand the school shooting as some allusion to a political statement and that Arby has been built up to a robo-killer over the last couple of episodes.

But that capital had been used up by the time he shot the girls mum in front of her and in my opinion was in really bad taste and to no point that hadn't already even established. The school shooting had already shown Arby's readiness to kill and Chris rea's character was obviously high up in the network. So we learnt nothing new and nothing would have changed plot wise if he didn't shoot the lady, we just got a gratuitous shot of a man shooting a woman in the head.

The part at the end was even worse when the minister threatened the angriest man in Scotland's wife with rape. The last minister was a clueless chump hung out to dry by the network and the new one appeared just to be a messenger or at least a small cog in the machine up until this point. So he hadn't really 'earned' the right to threaten something so vile by that point.

That said I do like the vivid colours and Wes Anderson style right angle shots. I will keep watching because because I think there is a chance that the show could contextualise some of my complaints but I find the violence against women, on screen and threatened, really distasteful and difficult to watch.

There will probably be a similar daily mail column tomorrow morning but that doesn't mean that this show is not problematic.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

Bland posted:

But the violence against children and men is perfectly tasteful? Seems to be a strange thing to get hung up on when pretty much everyone is being violently murdered.

Not at all. Like I said above though I think there is a concept in play where what is 'earned' through character development and plot is then 'spent' in these sort of scenes. Therefore my complaint about the violence against women being worse is a consequence of running order.

Also all of the kids are killed off screen which lessens the impact and I think Arby's kill count for that episode is one man to three women.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

Lovechop posted:

I thought it was really cool when the woman died.

Same. Lol

madey
Sep 17, 2007

Corte posted:

Why do you try and hurt me Rarity? Did I wrong you in some past life?

Anyway hoping for another recommendation if there's anything left that I've missed, so far I've gone through:
Life on Mars
Broadchurch
Utopia
The Shadow Line
Cracker
State of Play
Luther
Sherlock

Shows I'm aware of that are options are Hustle, Spooks and House of Cards.

There was a sequel series to life on mars if you haven't seen that. Black mirror is a quality drama but it is a series of one offs rather than linked episodes. If you liked Sherlock you might like Coupling by rhe same writer but that's a comedy.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Since I'm a terrible person, I enjoyed the first 2 seasons of The Only Way Is Essex. My question is, with 7 seasons up on Hulu, at what point does the show no longer even have entertainment value?

I'll spare you the pithy response of minute one of episode one and tell you this:

Although I cannot stand this show and probably hate it more than anything on tv right now I do end up watching/hearing about TOWIE quite a lot. For I have the grievous misfortune of growing up in the same area and briefly attending the same school as some of its stars. From my experience it always putters along the lower echelons of popular entertainment throughout and never really changes anything up apart from the cast. It did win a BAFTA for season three I think so that may be the highpoint but for the life of me I cannot tell you why. So I would say keep watching as long as you like watching gormless people fail to act unless its those particular gormless people fail to act.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

The reason that a UK version of their stuff wouldn't work is that we don't have the type of "news" programme that they are parodying. You may as well complain that the US doesn't have anyone competent enough to run a local equivalent to Private Eye, which is a more legitimate gripe.

The Onions pretty good and I think it is physically printed in some parts of America.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

Rarity posted:

Thanks Charlie, I'm now imagining a copy of myself being put through that situation and it's awful and mommy please give me a cuddle :stonk:

It's not a real person though its just a bit of anthropomorphised code. It's akin to empathizing with Mario dying over and over imo.

madey fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 17, 2014

madey
Sep 17, 2007

Quote is not edit

madey
Sep 17, 2007

Rarity posted:

Wow, it's like you watched the whole episode and completely missed the point

What did I miss? I get how the central premise was that technology allows us to be more callous and do bad things to each while easily bypassing our conscience. But the Rafe in the hut was literally a simulation and not a human at all. I thought Jon Hamm had the worse fate by far.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I Liked the This Is England tv show. Although I'm not sure how much someone not from the UK would appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madey
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, release the emails.