Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

They also filmed it all in English to be shown next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

So it was just the first four Him and Her episodes that were put on iplayer a week early? That's a bit poo poo and pointless.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

That's.... an OK looking Big Fat Quiz line-up, actually.

Although Richard Ayode being on the 'wacky team who get things wrong on purpose' seems to bring him down. It'd be better if they teamed him up with Dara and Kristen Schaal with Noel Fielding.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The Ghost Story for Xmas was...ok, I guess? Could have done with being longer than half an hour.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

That made it worth watching right there

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

My friend just had it right when she said he was a twat when everyone thought he was putting it on, but when it became clear he wasn't, he somehow became quite endearing.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Irisi posted:

See instead of Britains Got Talent, or The Voice, why can't we have an hour of Charles Dance sitting reading books for us on a Saturday nights?

And when Charles is busy filming Game of Thrones we could get Mark Gatiss in to read us some horror stories, or Tom Hiddleston, Rory Kinnear, Idris Elba or other people with marvellous voices to read us a selection of literature in order to educate, inform and entertain.

Dave is actually doing an adult Jackanory.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I think only the first two seasons aired over here anyway (on late night C5). DVDs have been available, but unless you're the type to hunt down US shows, it's not surprising that you wouldn't have heard about it before the Netflix promotion.

It had a similar boost in the US this year, too.

And yeah, I haven't seen Broadchurch yet, and I would have much prefered an old school screenwipe style segment telling me why it was good rather than DR WHO LOL!!!

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 30, 2013

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The Bridge is back tomorrow.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

That Nuts thing is brought up every single time. Is it not a parody of Danny Fackin' Dyer, or am I giving Nuts too much credit?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Bozza posted:

I've not watched The Bridge, but I did watch and enjoy The Tunnel - Stephen Dillane and Clemence Posey were both brilliant. If nothing else, it made me want to try and learn French for some reason.

Does anyone know if you can jump from one to the other (I'm guessing the remade it basically like for like)?

I would have thought so. As long as The Tunnel ended with the male detective's son being killed in the baddie's plot, you should be able to watch it as a continuation. There's a recap of the ending, anyway.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Answers Me posted:

Is there any particular reason that the show is split up? The credits roll, there's a little break...and then back to the studio for a 'different' programme. I know the thing on after the main show is a little different but it still seems like an odd quirk.

I haven't seen it, but a lot of hour-long BBC docs have an extra 15 minutes (making-of segments for Attenbourgh stuff for example) so they can sell the main bit to fit in hour long slots on channels that have adverts.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Adblock works fine with 4OD.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Lauren Laverne has been skirting the edges of TV for years since The Girly Show,

I think you're confused between Lauren Laverne and Sarah Cawood (or Sarah Cox)?

quote:

If the Beeb could open up the vaults in the same way it would be great.

I know the BBC aren't allowed to because Murdoch said it'd be unfair, so how come C4 can do this? Has the climate changed enough that we might be seeing BBC archived stuff soon?

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 11, 2014

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Taff posted:

I see it as more of a Richard Herring bit tbh

It's definitely one of those skits where you can almost feel Herring's presence. I don't think I've seen a single show by either Lee or Herring that didn't have a bit where they have a conversation with themselves playing the part of the other side of the partnership.

I wish they'd do something together again.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

It's ironic just how played-out and catchphrase-y "He fell through bar and then Trigger made a face" has become. That's pretty much all my Facebook feed is at the moment.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

This starts two weeks Monday:

quote:

Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith follow up the multi-award-winning Psychoville with an anthology of tales of the genuinely unexpected.

What goes on behind closed doors on the street where you live? Inside No. 9 invites viewers into six very different No. 9s, where the ordinary and mundane rub shoulders with the extraordinary and macabre.

From a grand country house where a game of 'sardines' leads to some chilling revelations in a wardrobe; to a very oddly haunted house; to a blood-soaked actor's dressing room in London's West End; to the flat of an apparently happy primary school teacher who becomes the victim of a good deed; these unpredictable tales feature high comedy and claustrophobic horror by turns.

The episode titles are: Sardines, The Harrowing, A Quiet Night In, Last Gasp, The Understudy, and Tom And Gerri.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The Perfect Element posted:

I think the series was a bit of a wet fart, really. It got a few chuckles per episode, but I really think it lacked any particular insight or edge. It's been said in here before, but I think it would be so much better if there were episodes once a month so there was more time for Brooker and collaborators to get one, great hour/45 mins with less fluff and more actual analysis and decent satire.

It was enjoyable enough, but a bit....pointless and un-Wipey? I thought Moments of Wonder was very funny, but felt like it should have been in a TV Go Home show or something rather than an x-Wipe. Shitpeas and clunk commenting on a news story was fine, and worked well, but I hate their TV stuff and would much prefer Brooker do old Screewipe style TV segments. Watching the Broadchurch bit for example, if I didn't know it was well received, I'd have no idea if the show was calling it good or poo poo.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Don't believe this has been brought up, but Richard Herring has an internet sort-of-tv-show-thing going on, which I only found out about when I saw him the other night.

http://vimeo.com/channels/rhmol

Similar to his touring shows with the odd animated sketch thrown in. You can pay a bit to subscribe via Go Faster Stripe for extended versions and extra interviews and what have you.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Captain Mediocre posted:

Also I'm a big Richard Herring fan generally, but that first free episode of RHMOL seemed kinda lovely to me.

Yeah, bits of it were OK. Pretty standard modern-day Herring without the polish of one of his tours or the anarchy of AIOTM.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

QI is a totally different beast because the female panelists actually contribute, whereas every time I watch MtW, it's a pretty much perfect definition of 'token female.'

No 'pretty much' about it anymore.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/feb/25/dara-o-briain-bbc-ban-men-only-panel-shows

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Paladinus posted:

It'll be Chuckle Brothers, mark my word.

Quite the opposite:

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 3, 2014

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

She's no Fearne Cotton though.

I certainly can't argue with you there.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Nevermind.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

A few years ago, I bought my grandfather the Get Some In box set for christmas (I think inspired by a post in this thread) and he loved it. Are there any similar series available on DVD that haven't been repeated to hell and back? I'm looking at The Army Game

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

So close to a really good Big Quiz line up as well. Everyone was answering the questions properly! Putting Ayoade on Mitchell's team was a good move.

Apparently it would have been recorded around the time Mel B was 'having some trouble at home', though.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

A friend of mine stayed with an ex of Brooker's in London once. She showed him a copy of one of his books he'd sent her, which was signed with something along the lines of 'To xxxxx, I bet you thought this would be all about you, didn't you? You were great at sucking cock though. Charlie Brooker'

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Looks like a British Drunk History started this week. Any good?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Guardian posted:

Meanwhile, Clarkson’s stint presenting BBC1 quiz Have I Got News for You is still due to go ahead on 23 April. However, sources say the final decision as to whether or not Clarkson will takes part will be down to him and it may be that he wishes to sever his links with the corporation entirely.

I hope he doesn't chicken out of this and he gets a right kicking as his final Beeb appearance.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The best Channel 4 music show was actually The White Room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LTlQJ3-tKA

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Comrade Fakename posted:

I thought that The City and the City was pretty good, though mainly I was excited to see that in the next episode bit that apparently they filmed some of it in a block of flats I used to live in.

The whole series is on iplayer already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

NOT BEHIND THE BUS SPOTTY!

I was talking to a friend who works for BBC Wales the other day and she said they basically can't show any Superted anymore 'cos it's racist as gently caress.