Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Did anyone catch The Hunt for Tony Blair last night? It's on 4oD if not, worth a watch for sure.

They totally nail the speech patterns, and self justification of Blair for a start.

And Saunders as Thatcher is horrifying, in a wonderful way.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Cerv posted:

FYI: A couple earning the median full-time salary of £25k each could not get a mortgage for anything approaching £400k unless they had cash for a deposit massively over the normal level.

It's all skewed by the fact that those same people could have bought a house in the 90s and have it sell for so much more now. If people are starting from scratch now there is no way they could ever get anywhere near those numbers.

Spooks - I think if nothing else the wall of agents really brought it home - this has been a really brutal 10 seasons - Spooks is not an easy show on the characters.

HIGNFY - I'm watching it now and I think everyones being a bit unfair on Louise - she's an odious person but anyone else making the (admittedly obvious) point of the protestors buying huge amounts of expensive coffee from an international firm which almost embodies capitalism would get a laugh. Still, she is horrible.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, she wasn't doing it as a joke, which would be pretty weak anyway, she was pushing it as a talking point designed to undermine legitimate protest. That is why they derided her and turned, uncharacteristically in Merton's case, on her.

Just like her last appearance, she was trying to win political points instead of treating it as a comedy half hour. Not surprising given just how objectively despicable her beliefs are.

Oh, I agree entirely, it seems she was there (at least in her own mind) as a representative of the Tory party, and not to contribute humour, and I thought the digging at her started immediately, not when she brought it up again. I could be wrong on that count though, and I don't feel like rewatching the episode to check.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

cloudchamber posted:

It's Have I got news for you not Question Time the aim of the show is to make topical jokes not to sell the party line.

Oh yeah, 100%, she was completely wrong to be acting like she was.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Kin posted:

What the gently caress are they supposed to do, crawl their way to Latin America, pick their own beans, come back and then grind them into powder using nothing but the sticks and stones that are around them? Get a grip, the digging started immediately because her statements were so absurdly stupid and ignorant.

From her point of view, you can't ever post a dissenting opinion on capitalism if you own or use anything that was produced by capitalism. Which, by the way, is almost everything. :suicide:

Are you starting to see why she was ridiculed the way she was? She deserved every bloody bit of it.

Haha, I feel that my views haven't come across on this at all - I agree with them to ridicule her, I agree that she was a poo poo contestant, I just think that everyone would have just chuckled and let it pass had it been someone else saying it.

It's not that people are using goods made by a capitalist society - it's that there are few companies which personify capitalism as much as Starbucks. It's hardly an original thought to draw the link of course - Forbes are doing it right now: http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterleeds/2011/10/24/can-you-occupy-wall-street-with-a-starbucks-in-your-hand/

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm thrilled that Mongrels is indeed still good.

It is, the John Terry's dog bit was great, even if I found it terrible that I found it funny.

And I love that the reaction of humans is still 'what the gently caress, why are there animals in my office' rather than accepting that talking animals exist in this world.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Brown Moses posted:

Is anyone actually watching Children in Need?

I watched the Only Connect, but mostly because I'm a sucker for Hislop and Singh.

Nice to have an episode that was more at my level though!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jakabite posted:

Had a minor panic with Unblockus, got it and spent about 15 minutes panicking that I'd now not be able to watch The Thick of It, since it's apparently not available in the US. Only just realised you can turn it off. Panic over. The Thick of It is really loving good by the way, I just started watching it yesterday, and it's kept me happy for many an hour.

It really is fantastic. There is also a decent companion book, available here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thick-Missing-DoSAC-Files/dp/0571272541/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328393203&sr=8-1

Basically, it's Malcolm's insurance file, and he's left it in a taxi.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Well thats a great start to a Wednesday. I saw him on an old HIGNFY last night (on Dave, home of out of date repeats of topical shows) and he was great.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Tony Montana posted:

I don't even understand what that means

Here you go

You can miss Home and Away this week.

Utterly pointless sun-umbrella, excellent.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Lord Thiefington posted:

Congratulations guys, you managed to derail the thread so hard nobody even mentioned how completely and utterly amazing The Thick of It was last night.

Whoever shot the slow balloon rise shot needs an award.

It's all going (gone) down here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507221

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

onoflalks posted:

But the range of weirdos he can do is impressive. From Brian in Spaced, to Jim in that via Dr Alan Statham in Green Wing and the Psilence inventor in Look Around You
After watching him in Spaced as Brian, releasing he was Statham in green wing completely surprised me - he looks nothing like him.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The Perfect Element posted:

It's like he gained weight specifically for that role and then lost it all again straight after.
The figure of a professional crack addict.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Sion posted:

I got neither. My folks say that's because Blue Peter ran out of instructions on how to make it but looking back on it in the cold light of 20 years plus, that's total bollocks.

This what I remember happening as well - I know that we wrote in and didn't get anything back, and the BBC says that there were 100,000 requests (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7649362.stm) which sounds right considering the mailbags they showed on the show.

Anyway, if you feel like a crack at it... http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/bluepeter/makes/tracyisland.pdf

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Squalitude posted:

Also the two assassin-types quite reminded me of the pair from Neverwhere in their insanely evil methods.

Yes! That's exactly who it reminded me of, although I couldn't remember the names at the time.

Not the only people to draw that link either, judging by a quick search. (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Croup+and+Vandemar+utopia)

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I never think to do these things, thanks.

Seconded the 'wait is worse' feeling. I've started the new House of Lies and as my only two other series are Utopia and Nikita I keep expecting people to be waiting to grab people in rooms and the like. Quite disconcerting for a character to get home to their dark house and have... No-one there.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

onoflalks posted:

The bit where Jen's companion gets shot and flops down at the back of the petrol station, and her reaction to it is on par with dropping a small bowl or getting caught watching things on YouTube when you're meant to be working.

Not for me - I'm watching Utopia and Jen felt just like the Jessica character, so that didn't tip me off at all.

The only feeling I got that this might be a reality show was that it pretty quickly reminded me of 15 Million Merits from last series, with the uncaring observers like the audience for Hot Shots.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 19, 2013

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Cunning Plan posted:

Does anyone else find Google Glass rather disturbing having watched "The Entire History Of You" Black Mirror? I mean it's essentially accomplishing the same thing (perhaps even inspired the Black Mirror episode? I'm not sure of timelines.). Either way, I find it a bit eerie.

I think that google glass announced literally two days after that episode aired, and I had exactly the same thoughts.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

That audience is the one that they used for a Waldo reaction scene in Black Mirror. I had never really thought about how they would have to 'fake' crowds for shows that never really happened before.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Also, the floppy haired fat man is so typecast he might one day wake up and find himself a member of parliament.

As soon as you said this, without having seen the show, I pictured Mannion and thought "I bet that's who he means." What I'm saying is I think you might just be very right.

The Hyundai advert has been taken off YouTube for copyright, so I guess they're not planning on it going viral now. Anyone have another link to it? I'm intrigued.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

onoflalks posted:

I think you can watch it here on Liveleak, but I can't check it's the right one, because apparently you can't get a good phone signal on a train in the Midlands, but it looks like it.

Yeah, looks like it. Seems fairly obvious that it was never meant to air though, I can't believe anyone would think it a good idea to actually put it out.

pointsofdata posted:

Sounds like someone at Hyundai's PR firm is getting a raise

Touché.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

NwahNerevar posted:

Man this Eurovision coverage is the most Alan Partridge thing ever.

Montenegro last night really was something else though.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Hell, the domain itself should be worth a fair bit.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

As it is, iplayers content pales in comparison to 4od - I'd be happy even if they kept all of a series up while it was still being aired, anything else would be a bonus.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Gorn Myson posted:

The only problem I have with Rich Hall is that he isn't on TV as much as he should be. And I don't mean appearances on panel shows, I mean things like "Fishing Show", "Cattle Drive" and his documentaries.

Rich Hall should just have his own TV channel where hes given loads of money to do anything he wants.

His stand up at Edinburgh a few years ago was great as well - especially when he completely misread the crowd and starting going on about how the couple who had met 'on the internet' were weird.... Without realising that internet dating is actually pretty popular now (and this was a few years back), and that no-one else in the crowd thought that.

Cue quick, quick cut to another series of jokes.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Channel 4 has been fairly bad commissioning comedy programming recently, apart from panel shows and the like the only good new sitcom has been phoneshop all their other notable output has been one-offs like bad sugar.

I was about to say that Bad Sugar would be coming out as a full series soon, but it looks like it was cancelled. :(

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

UnquietDream posted:

On a not quite TV related note, Radio 4 is broadcasting The Aeneid (part 1). So if you want a little bit of Roman's looking back on the Trojan War, check it out.

Every time something interesting like this comes out I wonder why the BBC iOs radio app doesn't do downloads whereas the iplayer one does. Surely it would be more useful for radio on the move than tv.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I'm really enjoying The Returned with one episode to go. It is so very, very French as well. So French.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

mrfart posted:

For some reason I thought his girlfriends dad was Noel Fielding at first.

Glad I wasn't the only one.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

That number 9 really was something else entirely.

so I guess a running theme through them all was that:

Someone isn't who they seem to be until the end:
The IT guy, the salesman, Gerri, the stage assistant, the schoolgirl. Although this falls down for Last Gasp.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I've seen the first four and really enjoyed them, not sure whether to watch the last one though if it's horrific - I'm a wuss who had nightmares after X Files. Is it nightmare inducing would people who have watched say?

Episode 5 is not.
Episode 6 is a bit nightmarey, yes

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Ant is the one on the left.

No seriously. When they were on Comic Relief, they appeared at the back of the audience, Ant on the left. They did their intro bit, ran to the stage and crossed over in the audience pit so that when they were on stage they'd be the right way round.

My brother said this to me as a joke but now that I look, Ant is almost always on the left. You know, excepting the good old Byker Grove days.

Always - you can remember that A comes before D to tell them apart.

That's why the selfie they put up a few months ago was so shocking...

THE PHOTO YOU NEVER THOUGHT YOU'D SEE.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

James May posted:

Jeremy Clarkson is not a racist. He is a monumental bellend and many other things, but not a racist. I wouldn't work with one. #ThatIsAll.

Certainly more than a grain of truth there.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's The Daily Show except there's a lot more white in the branding, as opposed to TDS' dark blue.

Also dicks. A lot more dicks.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The Big Taff Man posted:

Therouxs biggest skill is the silence, staying quiet till the other person starts talking about things they didnt really want to say

This is also a great thing to be aware of for job interviews - I will always wait a few seconds after the question has been answered before moving on - it's very useful for getting candidates off their 'prepared answers' and on to the truth.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mickolution posted:

True.

Once you've finished watching it all (including Mid Morning Matters), be sure to check out the book, it fills in lots of gaps around the character. If you're into that sort of thing, the audiobook is excellent, as it's read by Partridge, which is how the book sounded in my head while I was reading it.

The audiobook is an absolute triumph.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

A few years back I was laid up with tonsillitis and binged Demon Headmaster.

That loving Octopus is still terrifying, even as an adult.

Meeting Gillian Cross and having her sign my copy of the Demon Headmaster was, as a 10 year old, easily the highlight of my term.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The Big Taff Man posted:

Ive just written "Neeeerrrdddd" in my notes.

Worth it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Gorn Myson posted:

Everything Alan Partridge related is worth watching or listening , even the Sky specials. And its worth reading the book as well, if only for the foreword (which is a lukewarm reference from his boss) and the soundtrack he wants.

Better yet, get the audio book. It's read by Coogan in character as Partridge. And it's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I've never watched it, but this BBC article makes it sound like I've been missing out.

Soaps' unluckiest man? Hollyoaks' Dodger is leaving