Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

calusari posted:

I posted earlier about undervolting. I got good reduction of temps under load. However, my computer is occasionally rebooting when left idle. I can game or watch youtube videos for hours with no issue. Is there anything I can tweak to prevent this from happening? Disabling c-states?

Make your undervolt less aggressive because what you are experiencing is an unstable undervolt. You can't stress test them like a normal overclock as the instability more often shows in cycling between idle and in-use.

If you do want to test it, you can try using this over the course of a few nights: https://github.com/sp00n/corecycler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

priznat posted:

What’s the temperature tracker du jour? I was thinking about getting one of those CPU retention blocks GN featured for my 12700k but not sure it’s worth the hassle.

Something that can plot some nice charts over time would be good.

I think Argus Monitor is the usual recommendation if you want to tie temps to fan speeds. Probably overkill for just temp monitoring, though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

repiv posted:

oh yeah that was a good one

https://www.mono-project.com/news/2016/09/12/arm64-icache/

it was cacheline size changing under your feet, not neon support, unless it happened twice

That's really neat!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

FunOne posted:

I know this is grand heresy in the Intel thread, but those new AMD CPUs look pretty good to me. And it appears my intel option comes with efficiency cores and lacks the ultra-wide AVX instructions to boot?

I've been on the Intel train since I moved off my Opterons, but its starting to look like its back to AMD land if I want to get a bunch of cores with full features.

Since Ryzen 2 (the 3<xxx> series), AMD has been a very viable alternative for just about any kind of purpose. Intel recently took back the performance crown, but if power efficiency is at all a priority for you, Ryzen CPUs are a more appropriate choice.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

mdxi posted:

FTFY. Not to be pendantic, but because the Zen (core name) / Ryzen (CPU product name) thing has gotten increasingly confusing as time has gone on. Especially now that they aren't guaranteed to move upward in lockstep in the mobile and embedded product lines.

Not my best morning because I have been making these kinds of typos/mis-naming multiple times today.

And, yeah, it is confusing.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

That's why I'm going AMD when I eventually get enough money saved up - I absolutely do not want to have a pump creating more noise than any even half-good fan, let alone a case full of Noctuas.

TBF, it is nearly trivial now to set power limits in the BIOS for both Intel and AMD chips. Of course, you would also need to test performance to see where you want to fall on the power consumption vs performance curve, which takes a not-insignificant amount of time.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Saukkis posted:

What is the price and power consumption of a chip that runs at -18% performance by default?

Look at chips before self boosting algos became a thing.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Twerk from Home posted:

But why? 12VO will give us cheaper, better, more efficient power supplies, why wouldn't we see it start creeping in.

Modern PCs as they exist right now only use a couple watts of 3.3V or 5V anyway.

because mobo manufacturers don't wanna

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

redeyes posted:

I ordered a 13700k and now wondering if a Noctua U14s w/2 140mm fans can even cool the thing. Yikes

Only worry about the heat if you notice decreased performance. Run some benchmarks and make sure it is up to par with similar systems.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

redeyes posted:

Those don't have a box cooler do they??!!! hahaha, that is surprising but I don't think I wanna rock 100c for the life of this machine.

I guess I'll see how bad this actually is in a few days. I won't go water cooling, Just too much hassle.

If the chip doesn't throttle and has preformance in line with other people's benchmarks for that same chip, it is at a safe temperature.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Higher refresh rate monitors are also a huge change.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

silence_kit posted:

In the case of other international suppliers, what is the big deal? Is this just the US gov’t contingency planning for the case where they are at war with the rest of the world?

Yes. The US government already mistrusts electronics produced overseas because of security concerns (backdoors or other foreign government strategies to compromise devices). For anything that is security critical, they likely only use US-sourced electronics and employ only US natural citizens to minimize the risk of foreign interference.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

silence_kit posted:

Thanks to everyone for your posts on this topic.

Are you saying that a computer on a classified network is totally made up of US designed and manufactured electronics? Is that even possible?

Maybe not 100%, but government contracts try to ensure that there are as few foreign produced products that could conceivably be used to compromise security as possible.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

icantfindaname posted:

I haven't been paying attention, Intel entered the consumer desktop GPU market to compete with AMD and Nvidia? Why? That seems like a gigantic investment for a limited market. Are they really betting on GPUs for buttcoin mining and AI stuff being a massive growth market?

They are trying to get into the server compute market and the desktop gpu's are a bit of a side hustle that could earn money, if executed well. Same/similar silicon, different software stack.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

HalloKitty posted:

Finding phones with physical keyboards is a tedious process these days.

Yup, that with an audio jack is like a unicorn.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Speaking of liquid cooling... In the next couple weeks I should have my first custom loop completed. SFF case (15L, iirc) but with external rad, pump, and reservoir. Will eventually feature quick disconnects for every cable and tube the external cooling system uses but that will require some pci bracket customization as well as a custom bracket for the display outputs (Meshlicious case with vertical gpu).

It is inspired by my gf wanting me to bring a smaller pc (haha jokes on her!) to Quakecon and this build a friend showed me:

Kibner fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 23, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

New Zealand can eat me posted:

That's sexy. Is the next one for sure happening in person?

Yup! The one in 2022 could have happened but they didn't have enough lead time to get everything organized. 2023 is 100% on! I've been to about a dozen of them and it is also where I met my gf in 2018. Very excited to go back.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Paul MaudDib posted:

What's the trivial solution to the best headsets not having wireless? Don't use wireless. But I still want to move around my playspace? OK just carry the PC then.

the vive wireless adapter is the only perfect solution to date. sadly index never got wireless at all, and vive pro 2 has to run sub-resolution (despite there seemingly being ample wigig channels available?). So one answer is, just carry the PC.

I realize this is mostly a joke post, but there are a bunch of alternatives to making wired headphones wireless, nowadays. The EarStudio is one example, but there are several competitors.

And there is also the good ol' ModMic if you want a wireless mic.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Oh wow, I completely misinterpreted what "headset" was referring to.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

hobbesmaster posted:

My EE/CompE program and I believe all ABET programs effectively require a semester of semiconductor (ie solid state) physics, semiconductor circuits (diodes, transistors), digital logic (gates, kmaps, whatever) and computer organization.

This hits every part of how a CPU works from sand up and should plant an undergrad firmly in the “trough of disillusionment” on those dunning Kruger charts.

“There’s a lot of weird poo poo I know nothing about going on under my currently layer of abstraction” is actually a very important baseline for systems programmers. Expectations should be set but it’s a very reasonable line of thinking.

Yeah, I had one or two classes that covered the very, very, very basics of this kind of stuff and it made me lean towards the side of "computers are magic". Like, I get kinda how they work, but the fact that they work at all is astounding to me.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
^ a very on point and well-done post. Thanks!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The Z790 Sonic motherboard from Asrock is pretty cool. Helped my gf with her new build based around it:

Only two complaints, so far.

1) You have to pick and choose whether you want to attach a pcie4 m.2 to the cpu or a pcie5 m.2 that will cut the pcie5 lanes in the gpu slot from 16x to 8x. You can't use both, either, as there just isn't the physical room. At least it comes with three other pcei4 m.2 slots, for a total of four usable m.2 slots.

2) It does not appear to come with any wifi or bluetooth. Bought a cheap Intel AX200 m.2 since it has bluetooth 5.2 and ran the wires to the rear i/o panel shield, instead. Took some time, but was pretty easy to do.

Still want to change out all the fans for the white SL-Infinity stuff, paint that ssd heatsink under the gpu to a more appropriate color, and also paint the front mesh cover to Sonic blue.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 11, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

kliras posted:

you'll want your loop to go above the pump btw like so: https://www.arctic.de/en/faq/detail/how-not-to-mount-your-water-cooling-aio-by-gamersnexus, so might wanna flip the front so the loop goes to the top instead of the bottom

i just repasted my d15 cooler today, and man i want to just go aio, but i really need arctic to offer a nicer design with better ux than the current freezer ii

This should be the correct orientation, even based on that same video. Tubes are all below the pump and the top of the rad is above the pump, too. The air will accumulate at the top of the radiator since it is the highest point in the loop. It will sit there and not interfere with the fluid circulating throughout the rest of the loop. If I was to flip it, air would start circulating through the tubes, since they would be at the top of the loop.

So far, the pump has been silent when playing games. No bubbling sounds and temps seem to be in control.

e: the video actually points out having tubes at the top as the wrong way to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGomv195sk&t=1083s

Kibner fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 11, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

kliras posted:

oh weird, must have misremembered after fighting my d15 for an entire day, my bad

No worries! It’s always useful to get a second set of eyes to double check.

Klyith posted:

This is universal on all Z790 boards with a gen 5 m.2 slot, because the CPU only has 16 gen 5 lanes.

(which, lmao, I guess means 790 will be another one-and-done chipset-cpu combination. since if they were planning to have a more upgradable platform they'd have just done a single gen 5 "supported" slot.)

Regardless it does not matter at all, gen 5 NVMe drives barely exist yet and gen 4 drives have more performance than anything in desktop & games can use. History says that worrying about which PCIe gen your slots have is almost always a waste of time.

Yeah, wasn’t too worried about it, it just caught me off guard that it was a potential issue.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

SpaceDrake posted:

Having been somewhat detached from the CPU rat race for the past half-decade or so, I'm kind of curious how we got here, even as I sit here and gawk at the shrines to thermal waste the Intel Corporation has decided to throw into the high end market.

number go up

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://x.com/ghost_motley/status/1744803710834806960?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The Asus Sonic motherboards are pretty cool and I wish that kind of thing happened more often outside of limited edition things.