Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AMD didn’t make cellular basebands and dream of getting every “big chip” on a smartphone or tablet’s bom.

(Also AMD was in pretty bad shape until… 2 years ago?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AMD has some small SBCs and such with embedded Ryzen, think mostly targeted at stuff like digital signage and gambling and stuff like that.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It’s crazy how big the gambling segment is for AMD, maybe Intel and nVidia, too.

Too bad it’s all pre-rendered, the only ray traced metal gear solid content will be on a pachinko.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

AMD did look at that when they bought SeaMicro like a decade ago; they jammed a bunch of small footprint cpus together on a card and then hooked like 64 of those cards together:

those are atom processors

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
UP AND AT THEM

Is that a Vesa Local Bus or something?

Man thank god for PCI Express

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

NewFatMike posted:

the only ray traced metal gear solid content will be on a pachinko.

why do you say these things just to hurt me?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

WhyteRyce posted:

They used to give my old group a free, tracked CPU for working on the project but they stopped doing that because they started penny pinching and it was “hard” for our program managers to set it up. I was at a dinner with our department head and asked why we hadn’t gotten any Skylake CPUs for working on the project. He agreed and turned to a PM and told him to look in to it and I was given a death stare back. And no CPU ever was offered

Aw, that's a shame. I remember the Merom ES was quite an odd duck, certainly parts that were not able to be sold through any other channel. I built systems off of 2 generations of those chips.

I wouldn't expect that to be a huge cost, you know, given the 500 engineering salaries paid out over 5 years, but that rounding error's gotta go.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Wasn't Merom the chip design that got Intel out of the Netburst rut?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What's funny is they gave just about everyone a pretty decent-sized raise in April of this year in order to "fix" years of being under-paid vs the tech market and having a decade+ of raises coming in under the inflation rate. So much for that!

Dividends? No way, we still have to pay those out to shareholders. To the actual, literal people working on the products, get hosed!
When I graduated from college in 2006, software and hardware paid similarly (I did VLSI and semiconductor physics). Then software went crazy over the next 15 years due to tons of VC being thrown down the drain.

Hardware has always been a lower margin business and trying to keep up with software pay is futile.

(I’m an economist now :vv: )

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

Aw, that's a shame. I remember the Merom ES was quite an odd duck, certainly parts that were not able to be sold through any other channel. I built systems off of 2 generations of those chips.

I wouldn't expect that to be a huge cost, you know, given the 500 engineering salaries paid out over 5 years, but that rounding error's gotta go.

yeah my team had access to socketed Merom parts and I was always tempted to try and build an HTPC out of them. But my team was given desktop parts for take home and no one could say whether or not we could borrow the Meroms even after we were done with them

such a good waste of a HTPC opportunity :(

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 22, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

wet_goods posted:

Tbh I’m waiting for both cpus and gpus to come with aios water coolers as the standard, it’s a way for manufacturers to justify higher prices and masks their cooling problems
I know for a while, the Noctua DH15 performed as well as AIOs without the issues of pump noise and installation complications, but GamersNexus uses the Arctic Liquid Freezer II in their benchmarks. Are AIOs now clearly better?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I'm against AIOs generally, so I'd rather not have them become standard or bundled.

We need more power efficient gear, not less

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

If you have a large open case with lots of airflow, go air cooler. If you have a small form factor case, go water cooler.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

wet_goods posted:

Tbh I’m waiting for both cpus and gpus to come with aios water coolers as the standard, it’s a way for manufacturers to justify higher prices and masks their cooling problems

I really wish more companies would lean into the motherboard+processor+huge loving monoblock strategy, for both intel and amd. IIRC there have only been one or two iterations, they were low volume/pricy, and not as performant as they should have been for the price vs DIY.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Speaking of liquid cooling... In the next couple weeks I should have my first custom loop completed. SFF case (15L, iirc) but with external rad, pump, and reservoir. Will eventually feature quick disconnects for every cable and tube the external cooling system uses but that will require some pci bracket customization as well as a custom bracket for the display outputs (Meshlicious case with vertical gpu).

It is inspired by my gf wanting me to bring a smaller pc (haha jokes on her!) to Quakecon and this build a friend showed me:

Kibner fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 23, 2023

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

That's sexy. Is the next one for sure happening in person?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

New Zealand can eat me posted:

That's sexy. Is the next one for sure happening in person?

Yup! The one in 2022 could have happened but they didn't have enough lead time to get everything organized. 2023 is 100% on! I've been to about a dozen of them and it is also where I met my gf in 2018. Very excited to go back.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Put the PC in a backpack and the radiator on a bandolier type strap across the chest.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

I know for a while, the Noctua DH15 performed as well as AIOs without the issues of pump noise and installation complications, but GamersNexus uses the Arctic Liquid Freezer II in their benchmarks. Are AIOs now clearly better?
AIOs aren't clearly better for CPUs. It's something that has caught on due to looking better and being a more flexible form factor. If you go to 360mm AIO then they're in a similar performance class to the D15, where neither is better. A larger AIO would outperform the D15, but the performance gains aren't there for real world use.

I would get an AIO for a 4090 gpu, but that's because an xbox is smaller than the 4090 -- by volume even. And most of that size is the cooler.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 23, 2023

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Put the PC in a backpack and the radiator on a bandolier type strap across the chest.

Launching the wrong game at the wrong time causes second degree burns

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Icept posted:

Launching the wrong game at the wrong time causes second degree burns

what are you guys chuckling about, lol? MSI literally made a PC backpack at one point lol, it's a thing. (that's quite a URL lol)

What's the trivial solution to the best headsets not having wireless? Don't use wireless. But I still want to move around my playspace? OK just carry the PC then.

the vive wireless adapter is the only perfect solution to date. sadly index never got wireless at all, and vive pro 2 has to run sub-resolution (despite there seemingly being ample wigig channels available?). So one answer is, just carry the PC.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Paul MaudDib posted:

What's the trivial solution to the best headsets not having wireless? Don't use wireless. But I still want to move around my playspace? OK just carry the PC then.

the vive wireless adapter is the only perfect solution to date. sadly index never got wireless at all, and vive pro 2 has to run sub-resolution (despite there seemingly being ample wigig channels available?). So one answer is, just carry the PC.

I realize this is mostly a joke post, but there are a bunch of alternatives to making wired headphones wireless, nowadays. The EarStudio is one example, but there are several competitors.

And there is also the good ol' ModMic if you want a wireless mic.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The best pair of bluetooth headphones I have are a pair of Sennheiser 599s and an Ifi Go Blu. That doesn't really solve the wire thing though.

Although I think Paul might have been talking about VR headsets since he references the Vive, although the Quest 2's wireless PC solutions are really good.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kibner posted:

I realize this is mostly a joke post, but there are a bunch of alternatives to making wired headphones wireless, nowadays. The EarStudio is one example, but there are several competitors.

And there is also the good ol' ModMic if you want a wireless mic.

headsets = VR headsets here, hence the PC called the "VR One" and all lol

and yeah I'm not suggesting it's a super great idea that everyone should do, but VR backpack PCs are something that was embraced by a few of the commercial VR centers actually, like the places that set up in a mall or in a warehouse or whatever. it's not completely out of left field, it's common enough that OEMs made actual products for it, like MSI.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 25, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

sadly index never got wireless at all,

it came very late but nofio released a wireless kit for the index

it's a $400 add-on for an already very expensive and somewhat dated headset though

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Oh wow, I completely misinterpreted what "headset" was referring to.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I seem to remember the Arctis Nova Pro that came out last year having super low wireless latency with it’s base station.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've run into an issue I cannot fix and not sure whats happening. Parts: 13700k @entirely stock settings, all boosts off, all Asus enhancement off. Asus Z790-P Wifi. I have both Corsair DDR5 6200 and Crucial DDR5 5600. Tried both. 850w Corsair PSU, brand new. GTX 1080, and a 4k Cap card by Avermedia.
This system is entirely stable except one thing, I cannot run latencymon with out either getting a full system lockup, where the cursor freezes and the system is stuck or getting a Clock watchdog timeout bluescreen. I've tried a billion bios things, nothing changes this behavior. Im completely boggled by this.

Anyone have any ideas?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Do you ever get the lockup doing anything else or any other time?

I'd try pulling the capture card and trying latencymon and seeing what that does.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lockback posted:

Do you ever get the lockup doing anything else or any other time?

I'd try pulling the capture card and trying latencymon and seeing what that does.

I did that and same lockups. No I can't get the thing to lock up at any other time doing anything. I can even run for weeks on end and just suspend at the end of the day.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

My assumption if it's something latencymon didn't expect. Maybe try turning off the MB audio, wifi, etc if you really want to get past it.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Is it crashing right away?
latmon does some funky stuff when it starts up, try disabling the CPU speed sanity check option.
If that's it you really need to run more cpu torture tests.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

My Asus Z690/12700K at stock settings would crash at the very start of the Prime95 small FFT test. It seemingly wasn’t getting enough juice as manually setting the LLC fixed it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sauer kraut posted:

Is it crashing right away?
latmon does some funky stuff when it starts up, try disabling the CPU speed sanity check option.
If that's it you really need to run more cpu torture tests.

Locks up for the most part within a minute. Sometimes I get a Bluescreen Clock Watchdog crash but mostly just solid freeze. CPU Speed sanity check? What is this?

I did also manually set the LLC up a notch, didnt do anything. I will mess with that though since I have an Asus potato board.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 3, 2023

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

redeyes posted:

Locks up for the most part within a minute. Sometimes I get a Bluescreen Clock Watchdog crash but mostly just solid freeze. CPU Speed sanity check? What is this?

I did also manually set the LLC up a notch, didnt do anything. I will mess with that though since I have an Asus potato board.

Really hard to help from a distance :(
Could be anything from an incorrectly installed CPU cooler, some obscure driver/3rd party software interaction, any hardware problem.
Are there any useful entries in Event Viewer when a crash occurs?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sauer kraut posted:

Could be anything from an incorrectly installed CPU cooler, some obscure driver/3rd party software interaction, any hardware problem.

Nah, nothing. The system is stable otherwise, so I guess, Im going to ignore it. Freakin odd problem.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.anandtech.com/show/18760/lenovo-teams-up-with-aston-martin-for-new-thinkstations-up-to-120-cores-4-graphics-cards

Pretty good lookin workstations. Can't wait to set up an ebay alert for used ones in 10 years because im sure they are gonna be hellaciously expensive.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sauer kraut posted:

Just to finish off this mystery. It was actually a defective 13700k. Well slap my rear end and call me sally because that is unexpected.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

redeyes posted:

Just to finish off this mystery. It was actually a defective 13700k. Well slap my rear end and call me sally because that is unexpected.
are you one of those people with electronics-destroying EMP fields

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

are you one of those people with electronics-destroying EMP fields

Nah, this is completely unusual for me. Promise.