Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Paul MaudDib posted:

The thinkpad maintenance motto: Don't forget to remind your loved ones that if the fans are going all top gun it's time to schedule a geek squad appointment. Also, if the adapter shocks you, please contact an authorized family member immediately for repair/replacement. Things like keyboards and bricks can be replaced.

AMD/TSMC have managed to take a node on Intel, and theirs is evidently still a bit better. The mobile performance is pretty loving fantastic. I hope they can get some gemini lake type SKUs out. 7nm is a gamechanger for mobile.

Gimmie dat soldered down NUC-form-factor board that can be passively cooled though. Like the Akasa Galactico or poo poo. Giant high-performance passive poo poo. But AMD

I run my main PC passively cooled.

GTX1060

http://imgur.com/a/UthE5ci

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Twerk from Home posted:

This is super cool. What case? Stock clocks, underclocked, or overclocked?

I’d love to do that but reviews of recent Intel stuff shows pretty dang high wattage under load.

https://hdplex.com/hdplex-h5-fanless-computer-case.html

This is the PC build I went with. I run everything at stock speeds, no throttle. It works pretty well but doesn't quite pull off 4k at really high frame rates, it depends on the game, but to me it's worth it, I had wanted to build a fanless pc for a really long time and it is so worth it.

CPU
Core i7 8700K
GPU EVGA GTX1060 6GB
MB Asus ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming WIFI
RAM CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Memory Kit Model CMK32GX4M2A2666C16
Storage SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7E1T0BW
PSU Seasonic Flagship PRIME 600 Titanium Fanless SSR-600TL 600W 80+ Titanium Full Mo

Case HDPLEX 2nd gen H5 with riser and GPU cooler

I took a picture when I turned it on the first time because I thought it could be the last time I ever did, I had a fire extinguisher behind me.

http://imgur.com/a/SRvqHM2

wet_goods fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 11, 2020

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

wet_goods posted:

https://hdplex.com/hdplex-h5-fanless-computer-case.html

This is the PC build I went with. I run everything at stock speeds, no throttle. It works pretty well but doesn't quite pull off 4k at really high frame rates, it depends on the game, but to me it's worth it, I had wanted to build a fanless pc for a really long time and it is so worth it.

CPU
Core i7 8700K
GPU EVGA GTX1060 6GB
MB Asus ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming WIFI
RAM CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Memory Kit Model CMK32GX4M2A2666C16
Storage SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7E1T0BW
PSU Seasonic Flagship PRIME 600 Titanium Fanless SSR-600TL 600W 80+ Titanium Full Mo

Case HDPLEX 2nd gen H5 with riser and GPU cooler

I took a picture when I turned it on the first time because I thought it could be the last time I ever did, I had a fire extinguisher behind me. The case had a few quirks with alignment issues, most notably the power supply which I had to make a custom bracket for. HD Plex offers a PSU but it's like 400W. The Seasonic that I found was the biggest PSU that I could find without a fan.

http://imgur.com/a/SRvqHM2

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Cygni posted:

oh hell yes someone finally built in one of those. that has been a dream of mine for like 20 years, ever since living in a dorm room with an insanely loud ~gaming rig~ of the era.

im surprised you got that (rad) seasonic PSU in there, i didn't think they supported ATX supplies.

Yeah, if you look closely it's slightly askew because the screw holes didn't line up quite right, hence the custom bracket I made to hold it.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Whatever the case, I've always been of the opinion that C-level executives are not interchangable. Finance stays in their lane, otherwise they just cut costs they don't understand. Marketing stays in their lane, or everything becomes spin. Unless the executive has spent any time actually making the thing that the company's known for, they're doomed to fail.

And as far as I know, Bob Swan has never NOT been a finance lizard.

The bad MGMT is at the top of the manufacturing org and a few tiers of awful vps there, not the c-level. The biggest sin out of the c level people is that they didn't fire about three tiers of managers in the manufacturing org when 10 failed long before Bob was CEO. Bob should should 100% axe people at the top of manufacturing now that 7nm is going to be a zoo because that's on him.

One more thing, it's the c level and sales people that have kept things growing at actually a really good rate for the past few years to cover for manufacturing gently caress ups.

wet_goods fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 25, 2020

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

wet_goods posted:

The bad MGMT is at the top of the manufacturing org and a few tiers of awful vps there, not the c-level. The biggest sin out of the c level people is that they didn't fire about three tiers of managers in the manufacturing org when 10 failed long before Bob was CEO. Bob should should 100% axe people at the top of manufacturing now that 7nm is going to be a zoo because that's on him.

One more thing, it's the c level and sales people that have kept things growing at actually a really good rate for the past few years to cover for manufacturing gently caress ups.

Self quoting cause I am a prophet

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Paul MaudDib posted:

It’s pretty clear Intel needs to clean house. I don’t know enough to say whether these are the responsible guys but Intel can’t just let things keep slipping. They’ve slipped four years in four years on 10nm and now it’s happening again on 7nm.

This is the one slip they can afford, and additional slips are all but assured if they massively clean house. They can maybe pull off one more 6 month slip if they stretch it, but they are already way behind AMD (which isn’t even using leading nodes at TSMC).

Not even sure how you fix this mess since it’s basically a problem of production costs and it’s baked into the process they’ve chosen and the designs they’ve Implemented in those processes. Physics don’t care that someone got fired. I guess the simple answer is just ear the costs even and run the process even if the margins aren’t what you like, and continue doing R&D to try and bring yields up, but that depends on how bad things are.

Comedy option, buy NVIDIA, fire Raja, make Huang the CEO of the merged company. They gotta find someone with engineer-CEO chops like Su or Huang, or at least someone like Keller who understands the engineering and tells it like it is. Maybe there’s some process guy they can acquire from TSMC or GF or Samsung or something. Then try to hire back as many of the people you drove away over the last 10 years as you can (good luck).

They have to go about 2-3 tiers below where Murthy was to cut out enough of the rot.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Nomyth posted:

While being careful not to cut out exceptions to the rule? Total headchopping isn't really as great of an idea as it seems on paper, especially if documentation and other efforts to make such a transition happen result in a brain drain of what good knowledge there is left.

edit: if you go too far in removing a culture, you can end up with brain drain of administrative know-how at the very least (think: not just brain drain, but connections to SMEs on various subjects or at least access to those SMEs) and general conditions bad enough to instill a new culture that's just as bad

To give you an idea of the level of psychosis in that tier of management, there are department managers with the title of vice president who walk the office area floor every day at certain times, writing down the names of people at their desks ( before covid) to inform their managers and question why they are not attending a particular meeting. The top of the manufacturing org is extremely bad through and through and unless aggressive cuts are made to that tier Intel will never get out of this mess or fix any of it's other problems, most of the high level managers are not interested in success of the process, they only care about not having blame waft in their direction.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Paul MaudDib posted:

this NUC case from HDPlex is wild, full passive and they use a M.2 to PCIe riser to give you a 1 slot expansion slot.

https://hdplex.com/hdplex-fanless-nuc-kit.html

Not sure what you'd put in 1 slot that's slim and puts out little enough power that it doesn't melt in a passive case, but that's a cool design. I'd love to see a version of this for the Asus PN50.

I use an HD plex hd5 for my GAMING PC. It works well with a 1060 6gb but the problem is no one is making cards in the 125 watt TDP range anymore so I won't be able to stay fanless if it breaks.

No issues on the cpu side with an i7 8700k

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

VorpalFish posted:

The 1660 through 1660ti are all in that power envelope and I'd be shocked if those didn't get ampere based replacements some time in the next year.

Yeah I was hoping there would be a 3600? series that was a half step but included RTX. Not sure what is feasible. But that's good to know at least I won't be sol

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

SourKraut posted:

I would still bet on TSMC hitting 3nm well before Intel gets their 7nm node fixed.

Why are you skeptical though, when the architecture itself is wider, capable of more superior and aggressive branch prediction, has a huge ROB, etc.? They will likely be able to crank the clock speed to some extent given the available active cooling systems available, and again, can also crank core counts in addition to clock speed.

It's funny because we are going to hit a wall in feature size that will require a fundamental shift in design to make progress on. Nano sheets and what not and eventually quantum computers I guess but it will give intel a chance to catch up long term.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
Return of the king baby!

PAT IS BACK

Intel CEO Bob Swan to step down in February, VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger to replace him

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/13/intel-ceo-bob-swan-to-step-down-in-february.html?__source=androidappshare

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Save me senpai

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

WhyteRyce posted:

Unfortunately it seems like it's riling up online hardware posters looking for any excuse to get offended more than employees in the company.

Employees of the company should be offended, the past decade has been a giant gently caress up

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

WhyteRyce posted:

There are a lot of smart people still there. A lot. But a lot of the rot that helped contribute to the giant gently caress ups are still there and generally aren’t personally offended by stuff like this

Part of remaking the culture at intel is to face hard truths like this, what's missing from this equation is if Pat is willing to show the remaining good people that he is serious and firing the same poo poo heads that probably worked with him and drove the company into the ground. I brought this up before and people were up in arms about the potential for brain drain at top levels of the company but you gotta start somewhere and my suggestion is the top of TD. Mercifully Bob fired Murthy, it's a shame he didn't do it before driving Jim away.

Sohail would have still been running the place if he didn't get caught lying to the board, he should have been prosecuted

wet_goods fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 16, 2021

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

WhyteRyce posted:

It's a tricky thing because brain drain did happen the last time they did mass firings. Yeah some people who should have been kicked out years ago got let go, but so did some actual good people because of politics. Other good people just decided to leave because they got mad friends got screwed or just didn't want to hang around in a depressing environment. Any mass firing is going to be tricky because all the rot is going to cover their own rear end and look out for their buddies. Pat was around long enough I hope he knows how to spot it or who the problematic actors are.

Yeah that's my hope too, an advantage to coming back to the company is that the same lovely people are mostly in the same positions of power, he should recognize at least some of them.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Kazinsal posted:

IIRC Pat was the CTO for basically the entire era in which Intel did more than just micro-iterating on Sandy Bridge for a decade.

He also did miracles at vmware, the guys resume ain't bad

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

I saw that and wept for cornell road

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Been toying with the idea of turning my 9900k into a nuc or htpc whenever i retire it. Its on an ITX board already so with some heavy allcore downclocking and a cute litte case i dream it will be all shades of possible. The igpu should be good enough.

Just have to find an actual use case for it first :downs:

Use an hd plex hd5 for fanless glory

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

DrDork posted:

Apple already have first-dibs on however much of 5nm as they wanted. So they're not snaking anything from them. AMD....maybe, but that presumes AMD is ready to go with a 5nm design already.

To me it seems like the lowest-cost option to test-drive outsourcing as a concept. If it works, great, maybe for round two they apply it to some tiers where it'll actually make sense. If it doesn't work, well they didn't lose too much profit off it.

Or, as has been said, it could just be a misunderstanding and it's not really cheap-o desktop i3s that are getting talked about in the first place.

Regarding margin, outsourcing the lowest margin products does make sense because you free up your own capacity to make higher margin products full time. In theory, Intel would rather keep a larger share of a more expensive product.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

WhyteRyce posted:

This is odd I see nothing about drones or game shows or TAM in this news release did Intel hire the right guy?

I know right, loving distractions

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Indiana_Krom posted:

We could get in to lots of technical reasons Intel 10nm has been a dumpster fire, but the rough of it is: They can't make chips as quickly as they would like, way too many of the ones they do make end up being defective, and even the good ones don't perform well.

Why it is taking 5 years is for multiple reasons from typical corporate mismanagement to the actual goals being too ambitious for the equipment they are trying to use. Also high volume manufacturing of stuff that small is just inherently incredibly difficult and risky.

What helped TSMC succeed with 7nm where Intel failed is TSMC is using EUV "extreme ultraviolet" lithography for critical layers where Intel is trying to do it only with DUV "deep ultraviolet" lithography. Basically if the ultraviolet you use is a marker, Intel is trying to use a 193nm wide marker tip to draw a 10nm wide line where TSMC is using a 13.5nm wide marker instead. Everyone was using 193nm down to about 12-14nm, there are a lot of tricks and workarounds to make it work down to those sizes, but the difficulty goes up exponentially as the size decreases and TSMC/samsung/etc simply waited till the machines that work with 13.5nm became available before they attempted anything smaller.

It's not just drawing the lines, the way duv gets around of it is by using more layers to make the same features. If you needed let's say three layers on duv to make the equivalent layer on euv, then you are going to have at a minimum three times the defects, possibly more exponentially depending on the process and under layers. Not to mention it makes it far more expensive since you will need more tooling to print the same number of features.

wet_goods fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 3, 2021

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

PCjr sidecar posted:

Yes; that matches what I’ve seen. EUV get cited a lot, but there were many other design choices that increased risk. They were late and underdelivered on 14 and over promised on 10, and then continually lied about the problems they had.

Bad executive culture.

100% on the executive culture, it took years to fire the guy in charge of the technology, then a few more to fire his lovely, overpaid boss

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

mobby_6kl posted:

Seems like a good use of AI/ML, better than 99% of poo poo we see. It must introducd a huge delay though since it needs to work on whole words, wonder how they works.

All of the gamer words are collected ghostbusters style to be accidentally released in a catastrophic storm of hate in a few years.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I have a running theory for tech companies that once you stop putting the executive part of the company in the Executive office, (in the case of Intel, the example would be "engineers") that company is no longer concerned with making poo poo anymore.

Like, at some point, companies stop being about doing the thing, and about just amassing more money, and put a Finance ghoul in the CEO seat, where they most certainly should never be, because they almost invariably start cutting costs to make the balance sheet look better, the detriment of doing the thing.

Intel was like, one of my last holdouts for the theory, considering, I think, before Swan, every other Intel CEO was an engineer that came up through the ranks through the COO seat.

I dunno. I haven't revisited the theory in several years, I probably need to scrap it and come up with a new hypothesis for it, or wait and give Gelsinger more time.

Gelsinger spent 30 years at intel before going to VMware when he didn’t get the ceo job the first time around, he famously claims that he “went through puberty at intel” and is an engineer’s engineer, if he can’t fix intel I really doubt anybody still alive could.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

canyoneer posted:

There have also been several engineers who made it to senior management who were terrible at strategy (notably Brian Krzanich and Sohail Ahmed)

Sohail should have been prosecuted imo and not given an honorable exit with a stupid banner with his portrait on it during an all company meeting on his way out

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Zil posted:

The one time when a staff wide pizza party might have been more appropriate.

Lmao remember the ice cream socials ??

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

It's not a layoff, it's a corporate people movement and lateral promotion to customer!

I took the voluntary offered in November after ten years of working there, I’m bummed for my friends still there, I feel like plenty more of them would have signed up for the vsp if they knew this poo poo was coming

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

WhyteRyce posted:

lol I guess in Pats open forum in Folsom he described the compensation reduction as a first world problem and said everyone should sacrifice a little more to be a part of the mission and vision

Also if you don’t want to be there because of compensation he doesn’t want you there either

Man didn’t think Pat would speed run being a bigger rear end in a top hat than BK but zero dollar kudos to him

Pretty funny for a guy who could only be lured to run the company with the most outrageous compensation package in history

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

canyoneer posted:

10 years here too. It's the only place I've worked since graduation.
I got notified that I was being included in the action 2 weeks before the pay cut announcement. I was pretty bummed about it, because I like the people I worked with and the stuff I was working on. And the whole job searching thing is at best an annoying chore, and it can be much worse than that.
This week I've had a change of perspective. I think they may have done me a favor, because I stay on payroll for a while longer and then get a decent severance. Coming out way ahead compared to someone who remains who now wants to do something externally because they're pissed about the pay cut and feeling less optimistic in the company as a whole.

My father in law worked as an EE for IBM his whole career, and then got laid off 6 months before he was eligible for retirement with the (legacy) cushy pension. He ended up somewhere else real quick and has been really happy there, but it shook him badly when it happened. When he tells people he spent nearly 30 years working at IBM, people say "Oh wow, I remember when they were big. Are they still even around?" I wonder if in a few years telling people I spent a decade in my early career at Intel will get the same reaction.

What sucks is I did really well there, three promos, got stock awards out of cycle, had a huge network inside and with our vendors all over the world, I felt like I accomplished a lot there but ultimately came to the conclusion that leaving was the best choice

Lmao gently caress

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
Most of my direct managers were good -great, the only problem was that it was somebody new every year or two. I started in the fab but moved out a few years ago and that helped , the real gently caress ups at intel are the senior area managers and vps who despite repeated gently caress ups are still mostly in charge

It took way too long to soft fire peng (he wound up jumping ship after an annoying stint in supply chain and works for a Chinese firm now), firing Myra took way too long, sohail had to be caught lying to get canned, the list goes on

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
Intel senior managers still feel like they need to micromanage everything, I know vp level folks who are still doing loving lot dispo, it’s ridiculous

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

mmkay posted:

What's a lot dispo and why is it weird?

Making individual decisions on how to proceed with a lot (one FOUP or containers worth of a handful of wafers) when something comes up. Usually it’s some kind of misprocess that could impact the yield of that lot.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

hobbesmaster posted:

5G and really wireless in general is a contest to coin terms and it’s seems to sillier the better.

5G fog computing has to be close to the top though.

I remember the week he was fired he had some bullshit six pillars company wide meeting planned and it was the funniest poo poo ever to see the invitation to that and the notice that he got canned in my inbox

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

busfahrer posted:

I recently got a new 13700K build and it's a little annoying that the CPU fan (Noctua NH-D15) gets loud very quickly even when the CPU is under load for even a little bit, like loading an application for 5 seconds, when the temperature goes up to 60C (140F) or something.

Knowing nothing about these things, I found out that there's a tool that came with my Asus mobo that lets me set the fan curve manually, which helps a lot.

With that in mind: would it be harmful for the CPU to run at, say, 75C (167F) for long periods when it's T_Junction is 100C (212F)?

Tbh I’m waiting for both cpus and gpus to come with aios water coolers as the standard, it’s a way for manufacturers to justify higher prices and masks their cooling problems

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
That was definitely an all time low level of debasement for them, I remember being so god drat embarrassed when the headlines came out that they were making that garbage

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

WhyteRyce posted:

Pat made people eat a paycut so they wouldn’t have to fire people

Remember when he said “this is the bottom” like three quarters ago

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Rexxed posted:

I'm gonna get in on this solidgm pro bandwagon. We'll all go down together.

Mods thread title please

Intel: We’ll all go down together

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

mmkay posted:

A friend managed to get the QPB+ award (a 50% boost IIRC compared to regular Quarterly bonus), just as the bonuses went to poo poo. Lol at the extra 0.2 days of pay for exemplar work.

I got one in q3 and yeah it was like 170 dollars or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
I heard they renamed ptd to ftd (foundry technology development)

This has got to be the most braindead org name in a while