Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Upcoming page, in the time honored tradition of kids fighting: "Stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Paz and Kat had an argument over who gets to wear the Drift King shirt next.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Prove it! Select all images with traffic signs in them!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

BobTheJanitor posted:

So the two dimensional paper robot thing is a representation of their brain chip, right? Or did everyone else come to that conclusion weeks ago and I am just now catching on?

Thats what I assumed from the start.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Just an idea, but if the Annies aren't supposed to exist in this universe, this could very well be a universe where the tic-toc's never existed before now and Kat just made the first weird spy-bird-bot in this universe, which sounds ominous if true.

Maybe in the original universe that's how Kat knew where to find Annie and bring her back to the court after the mecho-birds saved her from falling.

Queue Kat going "so I had this idea for a spy bot and I feel bad but I have reasons" and the Annies being confused and worried because things aren't adding up.

Or maybe she is just reverse engineering like it seems, but whatever the case Kat seems to act a bit guilty about it.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Dr Subterfuge posted:

An Annie existed in this universe, just not the two that are presently in it. Really interested in seeing what Kat has to say about the Tic Toc. If she's never seen one before, it sort of suggests that future Kat is keeping them secret from herself to prevent time shenanigans. And I imagine the reason she looks embarrassed is because she made, or is at least planning on making use of, a creepy surveillance bird.

Sure one did I guess, but just the other page Kat mentioned how "neither of you should be here". I mean who knows but its interesting!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

TheDemon posted:

Oooooor, maybe this universe where the Court is wrecked and everything is weird is the wrong universe, and forest Annie is actually the "real" Annie from the reader perspective and the entire universe is the wrong universe.

Sort of the same thing to me, be it right universe wrong Annie or right Annie wrong universe, either way one or both don't belong, but this might have put it in better words then I did.

fractalairduct posted:

I think some of you are really leaping to conclusions here. There's no reason that it couldn't be something as simple as (for example) 'Diego created the tic tocs and Kat is reverse engineering them to do something ethically questionable, and that's what she's guilty about'.

But this like I said before seems like the most likely explanation, but it's fun to come up with weird theories when there is so much to speculate on right now!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

The "I made them, they are all the same robot" really makes me feel like if Kat made them, but it's just the one same robot, it has to be multiple Kat's in multiple universes or timelines that each made one robot and they all went together to save Annie, and that's why she feels guilty about having multiple Annie's in one universe.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

:nice:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I can't believe another goon, on these something awful forums, hasn't voted "Goku" yet.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

It looks to me like she's less having a time and more being given a war hell ride.

Shout out to everyone that gets that.

Definitely got a head butt from him back in the day.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Hempuli posted:

This is a great panel :)

karmicknight posted:

Yeah that panel is very great and good.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

da emails

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

It makes sense if this is how it pans out, but the most likely way to go from "loveable fun Annie duo" back to a single one is to make one of them (looking like court Annie)

1. Unlikeable do to crazy violence

2. Fake, not a real girl

Or maybe this is just tension due to being in Zimmiverse.

Honestly I don't know how I would feel going back to one Annie after having the pair for so long but I guess "make one into a crazy angry unreal being" would be a way to go about it.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

YaketySass posted:

I'm betting on fusion.

Mr. Fusion. Where Annie is going, she won't need roads.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Splicer posted:

The stone cold stunner

The Jones cold stunner

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

anthony carver is a miserably uninteresting little man and the comic has spent years trying to convince its readers otherwise

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

coolusername posted:

Kat and Annie doing mystery adventures together

This is what I, and I think most people, actually want

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Mimesweeper posted:

yeah coyote's whole deal is he's bored, this is something new! and adorable! haha!

True, but still way better then "IDGAF" Dad

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Tiny Myers posted:

And the comments on every page from that arc proved that the broad crowd consensus was "yeah, you tell em, Annie!" and taking this as a Good Thing and cheering her on. Like, you can argue "you're not supposed to see it as healthy or good!" but the audience is clearly taking it in that way so either that's how it's meant or the writer has done a bad job of getting that across.

See I don't read the onsite comments so I assumed the general consensus here of "Annie's relationship with her dad is unhealthy" was a near universal view, but there it is right there on the latest page people going "go Tony!", "that's right Annie, dad is coming for you, you are right to blush", and "here come the haters" type comments and I just don't get that take. That's why I assumed the above quote as "you aren't supposed to see it as healthy or good" was correct, but apparently plenty of people are. I can only hope those that do are misleading themselves and that Tom knows what he is doing and expects us to pick up on the obviously toxic relationship for what it is. Otherwise I am going to be pretty disappointed, but not entirely surprised.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

dragon enthusiast posted:

the takeaway from brawl is that deliberately trying to make a game anti-competitive also makes the game a miserable experience for casual players. unless you're 100% orange juice

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Eventually I realized this must have been a post that accidentally ended up in the wrong thread, but at first I read this and thought I was having a stroke.

lol

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Xand_Man posted:

Oh gently caress they are all wearing tracksuits

This will end well

My first thought was "Am I missing something? I don't see what this has to do with eastern European mafia?" lol

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Tiny Myers posted:

Can't wait to see all the robots doing a slav squat

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Shell being the primary non-teenager in the conversation mostly monologuing while having such an angry>accusing>sad>angry>idolizing>doe-eyed>dismissive>mopey>angry>spiteful angsty teenage moment in a very short span of time, I can't blame Reynard after she throws shade at him at the end of her rant for going "hey, back up, chill, and think a second". It's a very soft pulled punch in comparison, and perhaps what she needs to hear.

Maybe it was kind of a jerk move by Rey, but Shell's overly stylized facial expressions art wise aren't really helping her case right now, even if maybe that's the point or something else entirely. Hard to say without seeing another page or however many it takes. I guess it was some good exposition to be honest, and it feels like that is what Shell's weird lens of a character was designed for if not more.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Shell being a jerk after a nice compliment? Yup! Her being drawn more cartoony then the other cartoon characters in the story? Check. Throwing literal over the shoulder dismissive comments as she walks away? Yeah. Do I like the character as someone I would hang out with? Nope! Considering the Loup blending in as a naive nobody recently, something's up here, and I don't think I like where this may lead, but it's quite interesting and my interest is peaked recently!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

Haven't seen anyone mention Unsounded in the "what else to read" recs yet. It even has its own thread!

Edit: As a warning, it does go some dark places, but imo doesn't do them in the cack-handed way Gunnerkrigg seems to. If the most recent stuff is just too inherently uncomfortable you might not want to read it, but if it's more of the last lovely straw of a long decline for you, maybe you will!

Oxxidation posted:

I love Unsounded to bits but yes, it’s often viciously dark (and in a way that suggests the author sometimes finds it more amusing than disturbing, which would probably rub some people in this thread the wrong way). The dialogue is also so heavily affected that it’s sometimes challenging to make out what a character is actually saying under all the flowery circumlocution

Tenebrais posted:

I can't imagine anyone uncomfortable with this scene would be happy with Unsounded.

Unsounded is really good, one of my favorites, but it's not for the faint of heart in the slightest. There is a bunch of very dark and uncomfortable situations, but it does it with purpose and doesn't pull punches. One of the big differences is it doesn't pretend to be anything else (other then maybe the first chapter, which I agree with many people that is tonally different to the point of being grating, but even that was done intentionally so says the author).

It's not telling a story of a bunch of school kids where some fantastical things happen like GKC, it's telling the story of a gritty terrible world with very flawed characters and even though it is in a fantasy setting, it aims out to be telling real stories of how messed up things are with these messed up characters and complicated relationships. I completely understand that it goes very extreme with regularity, and it will certainly be too much for I dare say most people. However it does so in a way that to really tell the story the author is trying to tell, much of it is necessary (some is fluff, but much of the horrible things that happen wouldn't have the same impact by skirting around them, it's just not that type of story).

So while yes it can be dark, gritty, etc. and while sometimes it goes to such extreme places that it is intentionally uncomfortable, it's generally doing so with purpose and not just throwing a weird curve ball at you. There's plenty of things that readers won't see coming, and they may be shocking, but they are all tonally in line with the setting of the comic. Seeing some skeevy stuff in a generally PG to PG13 rated comic feels weirder to me then having over the top craziness in one that I would give a hard R rating.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Annointed posted:

Why did they bring the two robot people they barely know into their dangerous mission?

GunnerJ posted:

To be fair, this time they have Loup on their side, so that should even the odds against Loup.

Bilirubin posted:

why is everything always so stupid

Snake Maze posted:

Leaked draft of the final chapter:

This pretty much sums it up for me with the bonus nedroid comic edit being pretty funny. I admittedly have no clue who really knows what exactly at this point but I am leaning towards "they are just stupid" even if anyone does know more then they are letting on.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

"Yeah, we built this house with our own two hands. It's really nice. We used to have trouble with various pests like roaches, termites, etc. but the local extermination company always took care of it pro bono and we were fine. We even had some issues with the neighbors, but we managed with some help from previously said company, got to know some of them, and even made a few friends. Then we saw a rat, a really huge scary one trust me, and we put out a single rat trap, and the trap went off while we were sleeping but didn't catch anything on the first day, so we are just going to move out. Support the proven local extermination company? Nah, they haven't been in business that long, so we're just going to abandon the entire house. We already rented the moving truck anyways, so why bother trying any more or going with plan B? Bye!"

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't know what you mean by that. But you're welcome to click the ? under my posts to see that I didn't like the whole setup around Lana almost falling into the sexual peril trope if you need any clarification on my feelings there.

I'm clicking on the "?" under your AV and nothing is happening?

(It's a dumb "you have a question mark as the text under your AV but there's also the filter button under that" joke, sorry, thread needed some positivity) :)

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

Excuse you, that ? is next to my posts. For this gross insult, we're now thread enemies.

:shrug:

We're still posting friends in my book like it or not! :)

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I don't know if I agree with calling ethics and morals a "technology", but I get it that Renard put it that way to drive home a point to Kat. Anyhow, that isn't the point I want to make, so I'd rather not debate semantics.

People saying the panels on the latest page 2632 don't flow, I can see it. However my interpretation is Renard just poked a huge hole in Kat's weird take on things in the last few pages, and after seeing the expressions on both Kat and Annie's faces while Annie holds on to Renard, Annie's misinterpretation is just her trying to do some damage control on the fly while perhaps accidentally trying to give an idea of her own.

I've definitely done the "reword the argument between two friends in order to lighten the mood" more then a few times before. Annie's just missing the point quite a bit and inserting some of her own opinions which probably isn't helping as much as she thinks it is.

But maybe it will work because who knows lately, or it's just crazy jumping around to make story point stuff and I'm giving too much credit.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I mean it's pretty obvious why they aren't going and Annie is dumb for letting that one go over her head, but I think it is surprising that they haven't at least caught word of it since most everyone seems to know both people who are and aren't going and are speculating on what exactly it is all about.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

CYBEReris posted:

honestly it's kind of funny that the court intends to just leave the entire lineage of people who have the best skills and training to protect them behind. like regardless of what they have planned it's amazing they don't think that will bite them in the rear end later.

I totally agree but I am assuming their reasoning is "if we leave all the magic stuff and magic people behind and run away, there won't be any magic stuff to threaten us anymore so we can just do whatever in peace."

I'm not saying it isn't stupid.

There Bias Two posted:

I like that they're literally fast travelling between plot beats because nothing is happening in a way that makes sense organically.

This reminded me of "why didn't all this just happen immediately after the kids made a half assed attempt to catch Loup". Destroying Reynard's never used old body would have even seemed like more of a direct immediate retaliation, and it would have made a little more sense as a knee jerk "you tried to screw me? oh yeah, well, screw you then!" first thing he thought of. The meeting invite could have come before, or after, or whatever, instead of going back to learn about that just to teleport right back to where they previously were dealing with the same stuff.

If Parley and Eglamore weren't supposed to be in on the rogue Annie, Kat, and friends plan to capture Loup but still are somehow relevant to witnessing the seemingly pointless body destruction, then moving on to finding out about the half secret meeting, they could have always noticed some commotion in the distance while on patrol or whatever and did the teleport thing to show up half way through, basically at exactly the time they showed up anyways, then continuing on much more organically.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I mean sure and he could also just say that in the same continuous scene, and it would still flow better. I feel like Loup already had his mind made up about his feelings about Reynard that you mentioned above, and it was well enough established, without him needing a time out alone offscreen to stew about them.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Reading about how Annie and Renard just had a big reaffirming double down on their friendship moment, and with him just losing his original body, it does looks like flagged for death foreshadowing.

Possibility: Coyote said before that Annie is going to kill Loup despite her not really wanting to kill anyone. So, with Loup obviously even more pissed off and having destroyed Renard's original body, he next "kills" Renard and Annie loses it and kills him in a fit of rage. Turns out Reynard is probably fine and everyone is relieved, or Annie accidently kills Loup to stop him from trying to kill Renard in the first place. Coyote comes back from the "dead" and says good job, and nothing really happens other then Loup is gone and Annie has a reasonable excuse to for her in the heat of the moment actions which she probably immediately regrets because she is "good". With the threat of Loup gone, the court probably decides they are still going to move anyways because that makes the least sense, but maybe a few people decide to stay that otherwise would have gone.

I'm not saying that is satisfying in any way, but it seems likely enough, or who knows something else completely because lately it's a lot of dumb stuff lately. :shrug:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Annointed posted:

I beg this to be interesting.

So much promise, I'm not keeping my hopes up, but this really has potential.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

I mean even if he couldn't be bothered to do something like that, how exactly does "The Robot was killed by a psychopathic dog with god-like power who has free reign around the court" spell "Jerek is Loup"?

Yeah, unless the next page is explaining how Robot has some sort of dead man's switch that triggers an instant wireless memory upload that would easily be found or something like that, it makes no sense. Loup has looked cool on the last couple of pages, though!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

pik_d posted:

1996 if you'll believe it

I also had a hard time believing how long Loup has been in the comic along with many other posters from discussion on previous pages, but unless I am missing something this is just plain devious, lol. I know I was a few years late to the party, but I had to check.

Wikipedia posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court is a science-fantasy webcomic created by Tom Siddell and launched in April 2005.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Pretty page, and full of intrigue. :nice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Annointed posted:

We have gone a few pages in a row of what seems to be good comic. I'd like this to continue.

I mean I'm trying not to be negative, but yeah, this is good right now.