Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Laser cows, how could you?

Why do you make me do bad things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I think Jeanne was either honor-bound or forced to go down and patrol the shores of the Annan Waters that night, so she and the Elf-Boy made a secret pact that he would come get her at 3 a.m. and she would run away with him into the forest forever. Unfortunately, (a) the pact wasn't so secret (due to Diego's little clockwork spies, probably) and (b) the Court saw a golden opportunity to make the Annan Waters impassable in perpetuity. So Diego whipped up an Arrow of Elf-Slaying +5 with bonus "Paralyze Jeanne Until She Dies and then Bind Her Immortal Soul" power. Notice too that Jeanne's face still appears to be paralyzed, to the point that "frowning" essentially warps her entire head. :gonk:

I know all the olden Court guys are complicit, but Steadman comes out looking almost as bad as Diego here. Two-faced little bastard.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Brannock posted:

Why is she patrolling in a dress and not at least a fencer's uniform?
The Court had a strange dress code. Sir Young hated when it was his turn.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I'm just sad that these won't be the next two pages:

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Pardon my moment of wild speculation, but:
  • We know the Tic-Tocs were created even before the Court existed, supposedly by a god who was already there.
  • We know Coyote came across the ocean because he had heard stories of the trickster Renard from ... somewhere.
  • There's a black bird which appears to be talking to Steadman in the middle of the image here: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=774
... which all makes me think: There are other Native American gods and spirits. One in particular would have been the sort to travel the Earth in search of good stories and would enjoy tricks and chaos as much as Coyote would. He's also known as a creator of sorts, bringing light into the world, but according to legend he's also the reason people die ...

So I think Raven is going to show up eventually, and he's going to be a huge catalyst for some of the events we've seen.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Geekner posted:

I hear a slide whistle over and over as I watch this.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Ka0 posted:

GC makes me watch Dark City over and over.

So the headmaster is a Stranger, and Smitty can tune?

... I can see that.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I read it simply that Surma gave Renard the moniker "Reynardine" as an affectionate nickname one day and now he bears it proudly. Sort of like how he's willing to take a trip through the washing machine just because Surma made the body he's inhabiting. He's crazy for anything she has to do with him.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Bear in mind Annie probably still feels guilty for how bad Jack got during the whitelegs dilemma (knowing he was sick but not telling anyone etc.) even if Jack's all right with it now. And that's on top of her usual reserved demeanor.

On the other hand, boy have I been there. I got a little skin crawl in sympathy.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

My wild speculation is that Surma suffered from some sort of magical illness and Anthony spent his life bloody-mindedly trying to cure her with mundane medicine because he rejected the idea of magic. Bonus pathos points if something magical in the forest or the Court could have cured her instantly.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Oneiros posted:

IIRC it's been mentioned that the stone is more of a lens for etheric powers rather than a source. I have a suspicion that if she wants it to burn, it burns.

I think someone (Eglamore?) may have just gotten toasted :ohdear:.

Eglamore is the Dragon Slayer (even if it is an honorary title). I'd hope he would know his way around a jet of flame.

I expect him to land in front of her next page and shut her down somehow.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I pronounce Jeanne as "zhon," a la Jeanne D'Arc, because I am a language nerd.

Ysengrin is probably properly "EYE-sen-grin" but I still think "EE-sen-grin" when I read it.

Of course this is as pointless as arguing the proper pronunciation of "Submariner."

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Mythology note: the Egyptian goddess Hathor-Tefnut was sometimes known as the "wandering Eye of Ra." HMMMM.

However, "Egyptian goddess" is an easy explanation, and Reynardine's "you'll have to ask her, I couldn't explain it" kind of makes that one less likely.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I do enjoy reading your barely-restrained irritation into the goofy questions you get, Tom. It's even more fun to read your answers in Alan Rickman's voice. But Formspring shouldn't be a chore.

You might just throttle back and answer the questions which aren't pants-on-head retarded and/or spergbots who want to know whether Annie could REALLY cut the earth in two with the Coyote Tooth. Which would probably free up a ton of your time.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Holy smokes! She's a TOON!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Aeldaar posted:

the opposed reyardine/ysengrim poses are pretty interesting, from the splash page. What do we know of their relationship before rey went to the court?

Well, Reynard and Isengrim (or Ysengrin) is a cycle of Medieval European stories about a clever trickster fox who constantly gets the better of a dim-witted wolf. I'd assume that in the world of GC these stories are about real events, since Coyote heard about them and traveled across the ocean to find them.

Anyway, generally speaking, in these stories Reynard is a folk hero/trickster type and Ysengrin is a self-important bully who keeps trying to get Reynard arrested and/or killed.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I don't think the magpie is just saying "Oh, gee!" ...

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=150

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Uhh. Hmm.

Don't take the brown source code, Kat.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Wonder how many "Way to be heteronormative :mad:" notes Tom has gotten so far.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

"Let's date, but no one can ever know because...um...a reason. Even though two of our friends are openly dating, and no one cares."

Because when they started dating two years ago, they publicly pretended to hate each other so their friends wouldn't think they'd caught The Cooties Ew Girls/Boys Ew. Now their "hatred" is such a part of their public personas that they'd probably think it humiliating to openly admit they've been hot'n'heavy for years. A bit childish really, but they're still a bit children.

Meanwhile, I'd lay down money that their friends already all know and are just humoring them because it's adorable.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Note that this whole revenge thing has been in the works since before Annie fled to the forest. I had wondered about her angry face after she awkwardly talked to Jack a couple of chapters ago; now it makes a little more sense.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I think Willie and Janet are about to out themselves. :shobon:

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

From what I've gathered from his Twitter etc., GC is Tom's break. It's his chance to do art, write a story, create something that's totally his, and get some recognition. Birds gotta fly, Tom's gotta cartoon.

And considering how fast he normally works, I get the feeling he can knock out two weeks' worth of City Face in the time it takes him to do one color comic.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I started reading it around the middle of Chapter 2, I think the first page I saw was Sivonadine howling while impaled on the tower on the roof. I'd already been keeping an eye on Tom ( :q: )for a while, since he tended to draw pictures of pretty girls in art threads and came up with this design for SA-tan.

So when he came into one of the early comics threads and did his typical "I sort of have a webcomic, you can all read it or not, I guess, that's cool too," I hopped right on board.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

FronzelNeekburm posted:

This discussion is starting to sound like an episode of Match Game.

I fear that only you and I will get this joke, Fronzel, which is a drat shame because it's brilliant.

Anyway, if there was telefragging going on, I think it would be a lot more explicit with burst lines and cogs flying and probably a different camera angle and Kat holding her face and saying "Oh! She telefragged my robot chassis, which I made to copy Jones but for some reason everyone thinks it looks like Eglamore" while Annie plays a sad trombone (which is really Mort).

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Oxxidation posted:

For some reason I really don't see Coyote as the type who bothers to think that far ahead. His train of thought when handing over the tooth was probably something like, "I don't know what she'll do with this, but it will be hilarious."

I dunno, he's up to something. Jeanne protects the Court, which implies that the Court needs protecting. But the only thing in Gillitie Forest that is really dangerous is Ysengrin, who gets his power from ... Coyote. Then there were the bound dogs which crossed over and "infected" the Court with Coyote's glass-eyed men. And his infuriatingly vague proclamation that the Court was "man's attempt to become God."

Somebody seems to be playing a long game. It appears that the first domino will be Jeanne being unbound/destroyed. I'm starting to wonder if Coyote told Muut about Jeanne in the first place, really playing up the sob story, getting the psychopomps all worked up about this soul they can't reach. He knew they would try to find a solution. And if they (or their agents, like Annie) remove Jeanne from the board, then some nefarious long-term plan will suddenly become apparent.

Or maybe we'll have another twenty chapters of Smitty and Parley before the nefarious plan happens. That's good too.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

tinaun posted:

So someone made fanmusic.

It's pretty cool.

That's pretty good, but for a more cinematic style this one from a few years ago is still my favorite.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Roger Explosion posted:

Tom, if you sell these, pleeeeeeease charge more for them than what you charged at that convention stall of yours a while ago. We want to shower you with money. Let us shower you with money.

I guess there's nothing stopping you from walking up and saying, "What do you want for that picture? Okay, here's five times that amount. Keep the change."

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Roger Explosion posted:

We have yet to scare him off, amazingly.

He's been a goon since before he started GC. He knows the score.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Josef bugman posted:

As a slight derail from robot chat.

Does anyone else keep thinking that the big black bird we saw in the "city face" arcs might have a bit more to do with the story at some point? Maybe it is just me but I thought that, what with Tom drawing a bit of inspiration for naming conventions from Native Americans, we could be seeing Raven making an appearance in the court, possibly as a thing to combat(not actually fight but act as an opposing player to) Coyote on relatively even terms?

Of course I am spinning all of this out of a thing that has about 6 words of dialogue and appears solely in a "break time" cartoon, but I still think it might be interesting.

Cf. mid panel here: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=772

I've held this same theory for a while yet. Not sure what Raven's role would be exactly, but more mythology is always welcome.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I hold the theory that Jones isn't an etheric being at all, but some sort of misfired attempt at time travel. Some entity (smart money's on the Court, of course) attempts to send a volunteer chrononaut back in time and instead by accident her personal timeline gets ... smeared all across history. That's why she can't be injured or even her hair cut; at every moment in time, from her origin back to the destination, she remains as she was at the very instant she was sent, and the timeline prevents any paradox by making her inviolate. This would also help explain how she appeared way back when with a fairly modern hair style. She now perceives her timeline in the forward direction, gathering experiences along the way, to eventually either merge with her human template or see her own origin as it happens.

I've had theories about this comic before, of course, so your grain of salt size should be very large.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

"By the way, it's Steve. Steve Bismuth."

Alternate joke: Ask your doctor if Lunesta is right for you!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

... yeah it's a loyalty test. If Annie sides with the "Seed" here and agrees to take it back, she'll be offering to give the Court an advantage over the forest. Not a good idea for the brand new Forest Medium to do.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Tollymain posted:

What is that corvid in the center of the picture with the Archer? http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=772

My pet theory is that it's the Native American god Raven. I mean, heck, we already have Coyote and Muut running around.

Why he's there, of course, is yet another Gunnerkrigg Mystery (TM).

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I 'spect they're going to look for the green dude's final record next, if he even has one. And if they can find it without knowing his name. Although they do know Steadman's, come to think of it ...

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I read it as the sirens dropping away and the increasing roar of approaching bombers.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

No, see, Anthony only made Antimony leave the room so everyone else can get the decorations up and party favors ready. When Annie gets back everyone (including Jones and the Donlans and Eglamore, who were all hiding in a closet) will shout "Surprise" and get the big family reunion shindig started, with Annie as the guest of honor surrounded by all her friends. "Oh man it was so hard to keep a straight face!" Anthony will laugh.

It's all so obvious. I don't know what comic you guys are reading. :colbert:

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Hmm. I'm trying to think of this from Anthony's side. His wife dies by slowly draining her life force into Antimony despite Anthony's best efforts. He knows it's the fate of his own daughter and wants to stop it. (Aside: I wonder if Surma was supposed to die in childbirth but Anthony delayed it somehow by keeping her in the hospital for 12 years.)

So he runs off somewhere and continues his life's work of neutralizing the fire elemental death part of her. He comes up
with a radical etheric technique and tries (probably not expecting it to put her in a coma) to remove the elemental from his daughter. But then Zimmy hitches a ride up the bone spears and mauls the gently caress out of him, with the proclamation: "MESSAGE FROM YOUR LITTLE GIRL, MATE!"

So now Anthony is beat to hell, possibly crippled, possibly unable to practice medicine anymore. I can see how he might be kind of a dick -- well, even more of a dick than usual. He may be making assumptions about what really happened while Antimony has no memory of the incident and wouldn't be able to convince him otherwise.

He's still a tosser though.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Tom: "And now to make you love him."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Bah to all this haircut/hairstyle discussion. You're all missing the important detail here:

PAZ IN A LAAAB COOOOAT

soooo cuuuute

dies