Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

maswastaken posted:

A court grunt that can't remember who the forest medium is?

Stuff at the court has been shown to be really disconnected

those strike force dudes that showed up around the conflict with jack chapters probably don't know anything about mediums or whatever, and these dudes look similar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Forest Annie just leaning back and saying “she’s OBVIOUSLY fake, duh” was a good panel

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

this was a cute page

Yep, great fun way to wrap the week. Also congrats Tom

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

you call them steamed even though they're obviously girls.

It's a Forest expression.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Don't we already have Ginger Annie(s), Posh Annie, and Sporty Annie? Now we just need Baby Annie and Scary Annie, and then they can zigga-zig-ah.

Zimmy is pretty scary and thought she was Annie once upon a time

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Iceclaw posted:

She's a sorceress, though. Do you imagine her spending any time preparing spells? Kat's an artificer through and through.

Need to diversify, imo

Just spamming Fire Bolt and Fireball all the time, shallow!

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Chapter is going to end with Annie, Kat, Shell, and Juliette in a meeting talking about what they've learned about Loup, revealing that they know he's Jerrek but don't want to unmask him because the Lana/elf encounter caught them off-guard, and having him close by is better than him running off and hiding again. They'll set up a plan or something.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Pfffffffft

that is all

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

Like, I expected Loup's fixation on Annie to be shown to be incredibly toxic. It's a byproduct of Coyote treating Ysengrin's brain like silly putty and toying with his memories and thought processes until they all wrap around Annie. It was even demonstrated in the lead-in pages of the chapter where Loup was created:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1938

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1939

Loup's expressed a super unhealthy, possessive, and borderline violent obsession with Annie. So yeah it's a bit weird if all this build up resolves into him turning into a blushing tsundere teenager. Like I really hope the years of abuse and straight up personality-reshaping Coyote was doing don't slide off with a shrug? But that is also how all the issues around Tony's abuse resolved so... man I don't know.

Remember when Annie hugged Coyote and it was conveyed as a genuinely nice moment? Not a wisp of Coyotes various misdeeds, no bad vibe, nothing.

Also loups obsession with Annie could just as easily be Coyote's influence as well; he was very taken by her.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

The comic dumps on Loup so much I'm almost ready to cheer for him.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Feels like chapters are starting in media res more and more and this one is the most res of all. Couple pages of exposition would be splendid.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

I really wish we had gotten a chapter with more of the other robots at some point. It would help to determine whether Lana is being immature and easily swooned because of her nature or if that's just the kind of person she is.

Jerrek not being Loup would have actually given us a pair of characters that could explore the whole "human robot" situation in a chapter or two; as it is the whole situation seems really glossed over.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Why are they suddenly buff

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

I don't buy the "Loup dies so Jerrick lives" theory anymore because Loup isn't hiding that he's Loup in these recent strips. In the comic's eyes they are one and the same at this point.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

lmao what? it's been years since I read QC. it almost sounds like it's gotten good.

Cubetown! It's on an oil rig, and the ferry is a wisecracking douche, and the security is bumbling, and the robots are made of water! So WaCkY!

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Whenever Loup is not on screen, the other characters should be asking, "where's Loup?"

J.A.B.C. posted:

This has been me for the past two chapters.

I feel as if there is a huge lack of perspective anymore. Like, all the Jerrek stuff? Annie has no clue that even happened. The last she saw of Loup, he destroyed the body of one of her longest, greatest friends. He's brought nothing but suffering and pain to the Forest and the Court, far beyond what Jeanne had ever done, and the souls of two figures she deeply respected are basically gone because of him.

Annie should, by all rights, be glad to kill him where he stands. She has every right for vengeance. But since Tom wants to write a TokyoPop romance it has to be sidelined.

Seriously. The tonal shift here is exceptionally jarring, and the framing of the last shot makes it feel like her conflict is romantic rather than pragmatic, over a character she has had nearly zero time developing feelings over. Even her big 'jealousy' moment landed flat. She doesn't care about Jerrek, why is he even there.

I would legit love to sit down with some tea and just...discuss this. It's so eminently terrible.

The chapter with Rey's body burning feels really out of place at this point. Without that happening I could maybe see Annie struggling with the kill Loup thing, but that poo poo should have pushed her over the edge into not giving a poo poo about him. They don't even mention it at the start of this chapter!

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Pretty sure Paz is gonna do something on Monday, given the last couple panels.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

"Got 'em"-Paz

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Oooh! Aaahh! Ohhhhh! *Mashing down fast forward to the pages with dialogue*

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Something I never see anyone mention is that, at the start of the "Zimmy fuses the Annies" chapter, the two Annies are arguing about their mother, pretty much out of the blue. They had been getting along fine in previous chapters and had a chapter specifically geared towards helping them become friends, and then suddenly, bam, a convenient argument to frame the chapter's content around! Really stood out to me as contrived.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

It feels like, instead of Loup freezing the whole forest in stasis, he should have been the impetus for its more violent denizens to launch attacks on the court. We know there's some rowdy creatures in there from when Annie and Ysengrin confronted them, so have a faction of them be all for Loup's chaotic, destructive style and add some danger to court life. It would also add urgency both to finding Loup and stopping him as well as the court's plans to leave.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Coyote has emerged to finally become the unambiguous villain. Cut em good, Annie.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Coyote is going eat Lana in a single bite.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Same as it never was

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Best page ever

I'm in awe

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Just more evidence of what everyone has been saying

Ditch that first speech bubble and this page is a lot better

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Page doesn't need Annie's second sentence. Hoping for a shred of explanation on Friday.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

What is Kat's expression in the last panel

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

We're being trolled

This is trolling, at this point

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Annie is so angry and demanding of this character who has done nothing

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

The plot has the pace of someone learning to drive stick

LURCH forward, sudden stop!

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Coyote nommed Zimmy on August 11

Since then, a bald robot died

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

isasphere posted:

Wow, remember when The Stone had people going "get on with it!"? When that was intolerably slow compared to the regular comic pacing? And remember when the comic messed with the reader but still moved things along? Good times, good times.

A. I loved the Stone. Every page communicated just how amazingly old Jones was and really made me wonder how such a being perceived the world.

B. Jones? Who's Jones? An immortal dawn-of-time being would surely have some sort of influence on the finale of this comic so she must be something you're making up.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

It's cause he got turned into barnaclebot. He thinks this is a divine punishment or something. Which is a decent reason, but the reveal of all his machinations being flashbacks is really underwhelming.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Honestly none of this is hitting for me because it's been so long since Omega was even mentioned in the comic; there's no buildup here at all. Just...give me some plot, please.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

She kicked that gopher

Prior to that she locked Loup in a cage

Prior to that...I got nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Loup love story