Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Finally decided to check out where all the Coyote avatars were coming from, found the comic, and sat down to see what the fuss was... a few hours later and I finished reading the entire archive. Oops. Worth it, though-one of the best parts was seeing the art go from borderline terrible to amazing in a fairly short period of time. I love the paper-like texture in the backgrounds, and the way Coyote is drawn, and the style of pages featuring the ether, and... :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I hope Raven shows up at some point, and we get two trickster gods going head to head over whatever. A more serious Raven against Coyote's carefree attitude could be fun to see.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Fatkraken posted:

Do raven and coyote ever exist simultaneously as tricksters in the same traditions? I had thought they were basically the same archetype but typified in different animals by different tribes/nations. I mean, I guess that doesn't stop them existing together, any trickster god is really a reflection of the same aspects of human experience, but it would seem odd to use two native North American animal tricksters as adverseries when there's a whole world of mythology to explore.

I have no idea, but there's a page somewhere that I can't find at the moment that has a montage of a bunch of different characters, with the back of a raven head in the middle. That, and things like this: http://askgunnerkrigg.tumblr.com/post/29119914852/i-have-indeed-visited-with-them-and-they-have maybe hints Raven will show up at one point, and the comment about not getting along makes it seem like they'll be rivals at least.

E: Thank you, mystery avatar gifter! :3:

E2: Found it, it was this page. http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=774 Looking at it again, it's a little different from what I remembered, and might just be random symbolism. I didn't realise the tumblr was fan run, my bad!

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 22, 2012

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

drat, that's some update to wake up to. :suspense:

Have we seen how she looks in the ether before? I'm wondering if she looks different there, since she's not a normal human.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Wake up, go to check for updates, and... should have known it wouldn't have been answered so easily. :v:

I'm also wondering if it's Parley, since the name wasn't mentioned-maybe Annie is too prone to doing her own thing and not listening to others to be a good medium right now? Or leans too much towards the forest side? Then again I could just be reading into it too much and the obvious answer really is Annie.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Migishu posted:

I was actually kind of hoping this would happen. Annie needs to be knocked down a few pegs. Her actions and emotions as of late have been generally smug, thinking that she's better than everyone else.

This is one of the things I really liked as I read through the whole thing for the first time recently-at the beginning, Annie felt like a Mary-Sue, always seemingly knowing what to do or having things work out for her with little to no effort on her part. Then, the more I read, the more developed and believable she became. For example, at the beginning, she felt almost a bit too perfect. Now, instead she's portrayed as somewhat arrogant, and not always listening to others. It was (is?) one of the things that kept me reading through.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Those shirts actually look really nice, especially the court symbol one. However, the link showed me there are Coyote and City Face shirts available too, so it's a good thing I'm poor right now and thus don't have to decide between them.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

This is such a pretty looking page, drat.

What would Dr. Disaster make of this :ohdear:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

A student posted:

What is Jones's connection to Dr. Disaster?

How reliable is the Gunnerkrigg Court wiki? On the page for Jones, it says "Dr. Disaster is smitten with Jones and has given her flowers, as well as asked her on a date, on one occasion. Jones appears to reciprocate the affection in her own way, addressing Disaster by his first name and inviting him to watch a Vincent Price movie with her. They have been said by Tom himself to be dating." It doesn't have a source for the last part though.

On this page: http://gunnerkrigg.wikia.com/wiki/Word_of_Tom:_Parents_and_Court_Staff it says she considers him a friend, but that their date was good, "as usually is", implying that they are or were dating, so that might have been the source for the above.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

This chapter can't happen quickly enough.

Zimmy/Gamma for next medium!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If Annie is descended from Fire Elementals, why can't Jones be descended from Earth Elementals?

I thought about this too, since it seems to fit a lot of her characteristics. Still no clue what "Wandering Eye" could refer to.

Last panel of today's comic is great, Eglamore looks so uncomfortable.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Well, I remember reading somewhere that Jones is "older than she looks" but it's still strange to see it. No closer to figuring out the nickname of "Wandering Eye", unless it's simply just Coyote's name for a being that apparently lives for a long, long time, affiliated to no real side, possibly wandering around before coming to the court and just watching life pass by over time...

I wonder how old she is at this point, and when she came to the court (if that wasn't said already). Before or after Jeanne?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Haledjian posted:

Did we already know that Jones was ageless (or near to it) before this update? Cause that seems like a thing that was also solved.

There is this: http://www.formspring.me/gunnerkrigg/q/242446003 Though true to form, it's not exactly specific.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I just noticed, apparently Ysengrm lost more of his ear over time, be it due to art style or something I've forgotten-

Older, where he seems to be missing about half of his right ear: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=483

Newer, where the whole thing seems to have gone: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=1092

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Still probably a mother figure thing, given the rest of this montage.

I want to think this, if only so Dr. Disaster can still have a chance.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I don't know if anyone else was wondering, but it also answered for me whether she changes appearance along with changing names (apparently not).

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Jones was born of the seed Bismuth. :colbert:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Still can't decide whether I think Jones is older than the court or not, considering how far back we're going at this point without her changing.

I also hope we get to see her when she first meets Coyote, and he gives her the "Wandering Eye" nickname (assuming that is a nickname and not her actual title).

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

This chapter may be slow paced so far, but it doesn't feel irrelevant or just hammering the "Jones is old" point so far-this is her life we're seeing, or at least the highlights reel. I'm pretty happy with that, even if we're not getting much information about her abilities/skills/etc just yet. If nothing else, it's certainly pretty to look at.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

If we ever start getting Gunnerkrigg Court Technical Manual-type breakdowns of just what each character's Power Level is the comic will be headed down a dark loving path.

I meant more moments like where Jones stopped the spear, and countered Eglamore's attack, rather than DBZ-style stuff.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I've had no idea what to say these last few pages (except that the art is beautiful, as ever) and this last one was just amazing. Annie's face is just perfect.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I can't decide whether this new wave of avatars is better than the Mort ones.

Dodgeball posted:

In that case, I think Annie has a problem:

What's in this?

Okay this one is awesome.

seravid posted:

Got your back, bro :whatup:

Oh god, Ysengrm's face fits so well!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Last line and the gif underneath the comic are just great. Now ask her about the stars in the sky, Annie!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

Wait, Jones don't-

The gifs and edits over these last few pages have been amazing.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Shugojin posted:

Dear Avatar Fairy:

I am still getting weirded out every time I see one of my posts and I miss my parrotfrog and :cry:

But you got the best tea avatar!

I hope there's new City Face strips soon and we get a wave of avatars based on him. Not for any particular reason, of course.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

More canvases for Thought Bubble, from Tom's tumblr:

City Face is great, but the Coyote one is the best of all. I'd love something like that hanging on my wall, canvas or print.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

The stars in the night sky are Jones' memories. It got tiring remembering all those millions of years so she just kept a few highlights and stored the rest in the sky. Maybe.

Does anyone recognise that stone as a particular kind? Wondering if it has an interesting name (like Antimony, Bismarth, etc with extra meanings and links behind them) or if it's just a standard stone.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ursine Asylum posted:

Also not addressed:
Is Jones as impervious to etheric damage as physical?
Does Jones even have an etheric nature?

I kind of want Annie to look at her that way, now. I'm kind of surprised she hasn't yet.

I wonder how Zimmy sees Jones.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

BoneMonkey posted:

Just reposting from the webcomics thread as PleasingFungus said :)

I work in a Nursing home, in the activties department. One of the perks of my job is that I can do something like this.

Its fat Coyote!

I can't talk about any of the residents that helped me with this, but its clear to say that they are all really cool people.

Sometimes I have the best job :D

It looks great. Makes me want to do something similar, have a Coyote painting to hang somewhere, or one of Ysengrm, though a print from the man himself would be even better.

Hopefully we'll get more City Face pages soon! This chapter has been great, it will be even better to read through it in one go in the book.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

The Coyote art is (in my opinion) the most stunning art in Gunnerkrig. So even if you have no idea what the Coyote avatars are from (which I did not) they're beautiful to look at anyhow. It wasn't until I discovered GC and then checked to see if there was a thread that I put it all together.

Yeah, it was the amazing looking Coyote avatars that eventually made me go look for the source of where they were all coming from. Mort is great but one day I'll get my own Coyote(or City Face, because username), the art is so drat pretty to look at.

This was a great chapter but I'm glad it's finally over, reading online it felt like it was going on forever-though in the book I'm sure it will work fine.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

I liked the long slow build to the "Jones formed out of the Earth! :wtf::tviv::sbahj::drat:" panel, but the dozen or so pages of the Smiles Brigade afterward seem anticlimactic. I feel like it might've been a tiny bit more effective if the imagery and the dialogue alternated more. Another data point for Siddell to ignore because he's so far beyond the rest of us!

Yeah, that was the part that felt like it dragged on a bit for me as well. The Jones flashback could almost have been it's own small self-contained chapter.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Goddamn, Avatar Fairy. I wonder how much they've spent on avatars in total. The latest ones are nice though, with all their colours and variety, instead of a solid page of Mort or tea.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I'm half afraid to change my avatar now, in case it gets changed again-even if I made it a City Face so it was appropriate or something. They must be slowing/stopped now since there are a whole two people above without a GC avatar.

I like though how they seem to be matching up new avs with currently existing text.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Shadow's face in the second panel is goddamn adorable. :3:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Just seems like a case of everyone expecting the medium to be Annie, so they just assumed it was her name read out and acted accordingly. No Coyote tricks or anything. While Reynard was the only one who actually listened properly and gave us those awesome last two panels.

I was kind of hoping it would be Smitty (with or without Parley), or Zimmy out of nowhere. Now that he's actually been announced though, I have no idea what to think or where it will go from here. I just hope Smitty gets some good screentime with Coyote, his order and chilled attitude vs Coyote chaos could be fun. :allears:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I half think with all this speculation it will end up being something completely mundane, like Annie simply not being old enough for the job. Smitty/Parley are what, 16 or 17? They're old enough to go face off against dangerous forest gods of their own accord, but Annie is still young enough to need a parent or guardian to sign a permission slip for her and the court is supposed to be responsible for her safety and well being.

Kind of hope that whatever is in store for her, the headmaster has her best interests at heart so he doesn't seem entirely bad. Mostly though I'm just waiting for more Coyote faces and comments :3:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

This wasn't really surprising, but look forward to seeing where the story goes with this, and especially if/how it affects Reynard.

Oh, and poor Ysengrin. :smith:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

To be fair, Ysengrin was a pretty lovely medium.

Oh yeah, definitely. He just doesn't seem to have much going for him right now.

So there's this Goon Notebook project thing going on in GBS at the moment, and I'm one of the starters (first to send out a notebook). Aside from other random things, I did some GC sketches of Reynard and Ysengrin in mine. Not amazing or anything but:

I'm planning on mailing the book out tomorrow or Friday so don't know if I'll have time, but wanted to do some Coyote/City Face/Mort in there as well-if not maybe I'll try in my own time.

(Sorry for crappiness, no scanner available at the moment)

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Thanks to those who commented on my stuff yesterday! I managed to get a rushed Coyote page done, sort of. The only colour pencils I have are Boxbot levels of quality, but:

(Is it cool to post stuff like this in here repeatedly? Should it be linked instead?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I wonder whether this really was planned out on the Headmaster's part or not. He's not exactly telling her she can't do it, or at least saying she needs parental/guardian permission being under 16 and all. Then again, he looks like he can't wait for this meeting to be over and done with, and couldn't care less what the outcome is.

Love the faces and confusion in the last panel-almost as good as the Reynard grin.

I don't remember if it was mentioned or not-can Coyote forcibly take back the powers/gifts he gives away, or does the receiver have to willingly give them back? Thinking mostly of Ysengrin here.