Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

Galicians speak Spanish and their own local tongue. They do not speak Portuguese. Their local language has a lot of similarities with Portuguese, however.

Yup, Gallego is essentially a mix between Portuguese and Spanish. In fact, calling it Portuguese is liable to get you punched in the face in some parts of Spain because of regional politics/identity and some people take that stuff extremely seriously. But its not that uncommon for Gallego speakers to use both Castellano Spanish and Gallego together, sometimes in the same sentence even if they are talking to themselves or to other Galicians. So Paz using Castellano at times isn't weird at all. And as mentioned Galicia is a very rural region with lots of small villages, so some Galicians will downplay Gallego in favor of Castellano because they don't want people to think they are bumpkins or something.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Gunnerkrigg is just the best. Never stop Tom :allears:

neogeo0823 posted:

Personally, I think it's be better if you swapped the order of panels so it's go Paz, KatPaz, high Kat, but that's just me.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 23, 2013

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Prison Warden posted:

My conclusion on Jones is that she's pretty obviously utterly full of poo poo when she says she doesn't have emotions. She's like Data in Star Trek, who goes on about how he doesn't have emotions, but makes friends and pretty obviously has an emotional connection to his fake daughter etc etc.

I agree. While her mind might be different, she is obviously swayed to some extent by emotional ties and motivation in what she actually does. This might not be tied to facial expressions (some people in real life can have this same disconnect, brains are weird and vary quite a bit, so its not even a stretch) but there is definitely stuff comparable to emotion going on in her head.

I imagine when she's had so much time to develop a sense of identity, she might find it easier to downplay certain aspects of herself than actually acknowledge that she might have real feelings. Keep in mind how long she has been "alive" and how relatively a short period of time she has actually spent with people compared to how long she has been around. She is probably still getting used to this whole interacting with other sentients bit.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

VanSandman posted:

Brutalism is actually a really bad choice for an art gallery that isn't showing something antique and easily damaged. Natural light is very important!

Well to be fair, that probably excludes almost everything that is painted that isn't contemporary art made with colors chosen for lightfastness. A lot of colors, especially older ones but plenty that are still used today deteriorate and fade when exposed to direct sunlight. Alizarin Crimson and Carmine red are particularly big offenders but are far from the only ones. Natural light is pretty great but I wouldn't expose 99% of paintings to it for long periods of time.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 28, 2014

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
They seem way too chill to get into an argument over something like that. So I think it's doubtful they'd have that kind of argument. Love or hate their work, I've never heard anything bad about the Foglios as people, and Tom is Tom.

I have no interest in the card game but I hope it goes well. The people behind it are good people and deserve nice things and not spiders. Unless they really like spiders I suppose.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 19, 2015

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
I wonder if Anthony is against the cosmetics for the same reason that Annie always wears it. It hurts him too much to be reminded of Surma and since he seems to have no skills for dealing with people he just decides to go full on douchebag. Cause that's what he knows.

Either way, given precedent, I'm half expecting Anthony to get redeemed at some point or at least shown in a somewhat more positive light. Though that is something that might take the entirety of the comic before it happens. But goddamn what an entrance.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
I feel like given how important Kat is to Annie this is going to be a kinda slap some sense into Annie moment rather than them splitting. Kat isn't going to change Annie's mind about her father, but she might ,due to Annie's desire to be a good friend to both Kat (and Renard to a lesser extent), convince Annie to give Renard to Kat instead of her father.

Then when Annie eventually sets Anthony's house on fire , rejects the court that he represents (he has removed everyone else) , and runs away into the forest you'll have everyone nice and split up like in the fourth treatise. All I bet it'll take, is for Anthony to say one cruel sounding thing about Surma and Annie will not take it well. Dude doesn't even have to mean it, he just has no idea how to interact with people like a human being nevertheless his own daughter.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

J.A.B.C. posted:

As for Anthony not knowing about what has been going on with Reynardine or Annie's powers, I don't buy that. One of the few things we know of him is that he is smart. He did his research, and I don't doubt he knows exactly what he is doing to Annie, Rey and Kat. Whatever his end goals are, he has pursued them in ways that are needlessly antagonistic and destructive.

I agree that things will prob get worse before they get better but I don't buy the whole Anthony knows exactly what he's doing bit.

He might know every single detail of what happened to his daughter, I would be surprised if he didn't. What he's probably going to be ignorant of is the emotional/supportive/social/etc value of her relationships and what these accomplishments meant for Annie in terms of personal growth. This is a guy who runs away from his own relationships (Even his best friend is quick to comment on how Anthony can't be found when he doesn't want to be found) and he seems to have a pretty avoidant attachment style. Dude is introverted as gently caress and the one person he was able to emotionally connect to and get him to actually open up, died as a result of that relationship. Dude is probably still hosed up from that.

The fact that he is pretty smart (in terms of logical reasoning, etc), might lead him to believe he is the only one in position to fix his daughter's life or at least the problems he sees in it. But he doesn't have the emotional intelligence to recognize the gains shes been making. It has never dawned on him that most people, particularly kids, actually need things like support networks and people in their lives. Cause that's not the way he lives. I mean gently caress, consider how Annie was at the start of this comic, that's pretty indicative of the social support she got at the hospital after her mother died.

Sad part is, he probably is acting out of love. He just can't recognize the harm hes causing by severing her from everyone she loves. It's not even about being a robot cause hes not, dude has emotions. He just knows gently caress all what to do with them, hence the whole digging nails into his palm thing.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Apr 18, 2015

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

T-man posted:

Are those cracks in her reality...

or bone spears?

They coincide with the breakdown and not with her trying to put up a front after so I think it's the former.

The shunting of emotion looks like a decision Annie is making for herself because for some reason she feels that's the appropriate thing to do cause some jackass never taught her real coping skills. I'm really hoping she sets Anthony on fire at some point which is prob Tom's intent with all this so he's done a great job. Now to see how he'll flip it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

She was clearly trying to give him a comforting hug. She is really bad at that sort of thing though!

At least she didn't try to smile at him.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

himajinga posted:

Which is funny, because I feel like it being totally 100% psychological doesn't keep with the mystical/eerie themes of the series, I'm sure it's some weird combination of the two.

I dunno. I like the idea that, in a world with deities, crazy murder ghosts, fanatical robots that want to be turned into flesh and so on, one of the most horrifying things in this comic is just a non-magical abusive dad. I don't think this has anything to do with ether, just plain human cruelty/negligence.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Brightman posted:

You guys realize there's a slim possibility they're just meeting here for whatever reason and it isn't part of Annie's new living quarters (it totally is though), right?

Maybe this is some space created by etheric projection thing or something. Or some meeting place so they can meet undetected or something. I can't imagine this is her actual living quarters. Cause that would be too much, even for Anthony.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Clearly Anthony is there to remove the final obstacle in the way of his plans.

RIP Kat

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Boogaleeboo posted:

Yes, and that makes her telling him to kill her best friend's dad if poo poo goes down so much better!

Keep in mind that Renard has built up a lot of good will based on his actions since then. Enough so that even Egalmore (who is very well acquainted with Renard's crimes and suffered personal losses just because of him) tolerates his company and spends time with him. It stands to reason that whether your opinion of him, that Kat trusts him a lot more than Anthony and just wants him to be safe in case Anthony decides to dissect or murder him. Or does whatever else Kat thinks he is going to do.

Given the comic, this is probably going to back fire in some way (probably not in anthony's death but maybe Renard hurts him and it causes Annie to break away from Kat or something) this is a pretty reasonable thing for Kat to do given the events of the comic as a whole.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

AfroSquirrel posted:

Does no one remember the Hettie chapter?

Yeah, that and the whole Coyote saying that it is Renard's love for Annie that keeps him there in the first place.Which is important because Coyote cannot lie outright. Renard isn't stupid, he knows that doing something bad to Anthony would hurt Annie even if he would want to do something to him. Mind you, something still might happen (what if Renard witnesses Anthony doing something like that etheric surgery on Annie again?). But people acting like Renard is going to kill Anthony the first chance he gets haven't been paying attention to the comic.

Also I have a feeling that if the Annie says something about the break in during the dinner, the Donlans are probably going to take Anthony's side on the matter. Remember they may not understand him, but he is their friend and they trust him.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 2, 2015

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Do they? They liked Surma, and yeah Kat's dad and Anthony were "friends" but even Kat's dad seemed rather perplexed by literally everything he did. Anthony's a mystery to basically everybody still alive right now, and need I remind everyone that his presence is almost certainly orchestrated by the Court itself? At least the Headmaster.

I don't see why he wouldn't.

Kat's dad still knows a lot about Anthony, like the story he told Annie about how he deals with emotional difficulties in a rather avoidant/internal kind of way. Something that he noticed in Annie when he handed her that glass (Tom wasn't subtle with them digging their nails into their palms in the same exact way). Though Annie, at least before, was growing to become more extroverted and open, her dad's reemergence seems to be bringing her back to how she was before.

He knows that you can't take Anthony at face value and a lot of his deal is beneath the surface. He also knows the dude has more emotion and etc that he lets on, remember that Mr. Donlan was his confidant throughout school. So yeah, I suspect Mr. Donlan still harbors a lot of good will and trust towards Anthony. Trust in the sense that he'd probably believe that Anthony has good intentions even if he isn't expressing himself or going about things in the best way. Also while sneaking around a school is one thing (he's done that himself), I don't think he'd be okay with his daughter breaking into his friend's private home.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

It has nothing to do with academia. Trust is extremely important to me. I wouldn't have done the same thing in her shoes.

Everyone has their own standards by which they gauge others behavior based on their experiences and all that, that's okay. But you have to acknowledge in turn that other people might have different priorities than you.

The reason Kat is okay with it, is that she loves Annie (as a friend) and is more concerned about her happiness and well-being than her being honest in academics. Remember, Kat isn't a high academic achiever because she necessarily feels grades are valuable in of themselves. She's clearly pursues achievement because she loves knowledge and making things.

Given that, it makes a lot of sense that she doesn't really care that much that Annie copied her work and is more hurt by the fact that she feels Annie is suffering because of Anthony (with the constant humiliations and control he's exerting over her). Right or wrong, that's clearly how she sees the situation. For her, if anything is a betrayal then it's Annie's willingness to hand Renard over to someone Kat thinks will likely hurt or kill him. Though Annie giving Rey to her in spite of her dad helped to ease that conflict between them. If she didn't give him to Kat and something bad happened to Renard as a result, then yeah that would likely be a true betrayal as far as Kat as concerned and she might not forgive that.

Right or wrong people are more willing to forgive the people they love than say acquaintances. That's hardly a controversial thing. It might be different if the particular issue of cheating was important to Kat (like working hard to be top of the class was a cornerstone of her sense of self-worth or something), but it's clearly not. She just wants her best friend who's gone through so much poo poo to be okay.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 9, 2015

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Of course I know that people have different standards. I'm not an idiot. I understand why she forgave her, and I won't argue that it's not in character for her, but I find it hard to sympathize because that's not what I would have done. I've had to make some very difficult decisions in my life based on my friends' honesty or lack thereof. It's a subject that I feel very strongly about for personal reasons.

Ah okay, I thought you were arguing that it was weird for Kat to not feel wronged by Annie's actions based on the events on the comic when you were actually arguing that based on your experiences that part of it was hard for you to accept. That makes sense. Didn't mean to imply anything ill, I just misunderstood. Sorry about that.

If you've had some bad personal experiences with friends and trust, of course stuff like that would definitely be something you'd pick up on and find jarring. It's definitely not a pleasant thing to go through.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Roger Explosion posted:

Don gets better every single time he's on panel.

Pretty much. It's pretty distressing how night and day Annie and Kat's family situations are.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Blackheart posted:

But also he genuinely wants to know where his friend has been.

Yeah I agree. Your introverted best friend up and vanishes one day, then comes back after so many years looking like he had been recently introduced to a weed thresher. Clearly some horrible poo poo has gone down and Donnie wants to know what happened. Doubt he's pleased by Anthony's behavior mind you, but there is more to this than "Donnie just got tired of his poo poo". I have a feeling the two will talk in private at some point (or at least Donnie will want to) because I doubt he is going to let this all slide if Anthony does try to be evasive.

That said I don't think he is going to try to tear him down at the dinner party or anything like that, Donnie seems too diplomatic and savvy a person for that. But who knows, he probably felt some hurt himself given that his once best friend didn't feel the need to clue him in on what was going on for all this time. Feels like almost anything could happen during this dinner.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Anthony doesn't have a lack of emotion, though. He has a near-total inability to emote. Everything we know about him suggests that he's a raging torrent of emotions.

Yeah, this. If anything he is just an extreme introvert where he isn't forth coming about how he feels and keeps everything internalized where it can seethe and fester. Like others said Autism actually doesn't mean lack of emotion and even if it was, it's doubtful that Anthony lacks emotion. Look at the glance he gave Annie while at Surma's deathbed or how he behaved while fretting about the fact that some girl likes him to his friend Donnie. He keeps his feelings to himself and has difficulty expressing himself, but you don't need a disorder to behave that way. Hell, if he has isolated himself in his work for all this time (10-15+ whatever years, whenever he abandoned his daughter to the school) he's probably lost a fair amount of his ability to appropriately interact with others.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 11, 2015

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Tollymain posted:

let's go with a slightly less hyperbolistic reading here.

donny is unhappy with his friend here, but he knows how far he can push the conversation after knowing anthony for years and years. still he's attempting to get anthony to actually talk about what the gently caress he's up to because the man disappeared on them and his daughter for years without a word, then showed up without warning with extensive physical and emotional scarring and immediately went about clumsily dismantling the life his daughter had been building for herself.

donny is angry, but simply expressing being angry here would be counterproductive. also, being angry doesn't change the fact that anthony is a very, very old friend.

Yeah, this is probably closest to what's going on.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

The problem with Tony's belief that Renard is dangerous is that it's really old news and an old fashioned belief. We (the reader) have been shown that he is not dangerous anymore and he truly regrets his past actions. Renard is the least dangerous of the three doggies and we love him. Tony has been away for all of this though and is out of sync with us and is still worried about how safe Renard is.

Yeah, which is what Kat is getting at with her dig at the end I think. Anthony apparently had no idea what was going on his daughter's life at all. He made no effort to communicate or even find out even trivial details about what his daughter is going through. He probably has very compelling personal reasons for this, but as far as "being a good parent to your daughter" goes, he's completely failed. His ignorance is the worst part, because he is a dude who probably is very particular and careful when it comes to his job/science. He has the means, contacts in the court (Donnie) and communication equipment but circumstances/personality issues caused him to not do it. Thus he is not in position to really know whats best for his daughter who is pretty much a stranger to him. The Donlans and Egalmore are much better custodians at this point.

Hettie was planning on murdering that poor kid and apparently as the posters below have stated that Rey has been visiting the grave of the dude he killed. If he was truly flippant about it, i doubt Egalmore would be hanging out with him. If anyone has a reason to hate Rey, Egalmore does. It's probably complicated.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jun 16, 2015

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Countdown to Tony forbidding Annie from associating with Kat or her family at all.

Anthony doesn't need to do that. Look at Annie in the last two panels. Kat and Annie's friendship has taken some serious damage here. Guess Annie was right about her fears, she is going to push Kat away.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

It's not really Kat putting her in that position

Annie does not like people saying that her father could do wrong and Kat is definitely not helping things by constantly accusing Anthony of various things. Rey did that too and things got ugly really quickly. They did patch things up yes, so I'm not saying this one event will break their friendship but I do think it's a very bad sign that Annie is so quick to brush Kat off here.

Kat and Annie's friendship is central to the comic, and I think Anthony's purpose (narratively speaking) might be here to be a direct threat or obstacle to that friendship. Now if something were to happen to Anthony, like say, as a result of Kat's instructions to Rey then that might be the tipping point that gets Annie to run off to the forest. Course Tom is great at surprises and who knows what will happen, but I do think there is a possibility that this could happen. If it did, I imagine they'll eventually patch things up but they'll probably go through a lot of hell before then.

Who knows, maybe that'll be the climax of the whole comic. Annie and Kat repairing their friendship and reuniting the court and forest at the same time.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

UndyingShadow posted:

At this point, Annie appears to be a lost cause. This plot line has BEEN a lost cause. I wonder if this comic will finally cut to something else, or should we just continue waiting for nothing to happen.

Have some faith. Tom does prefer slow pacing but he does go somewhere with things. This is clearly set up for something major to happen. We don't know exactly what but there is definitely going to be a pay off. If the day to day updates get to be too much just take a break and come back a few weeks later.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

So if this was a real-life case of abuse, would anything that Annie's friends are doing be helpful to the situation?

It is in the sense that under Anthony's care, Annie becomes withdrawn, lacks self-confidence and doesn't adjust as well to interpersonal situations/conflict. Compare Annie from the start of the comic, to after her adventures in the forest and with her new friends at the court, to now. He is obviously a negative influence on her. Though in reality, you can't force people to help themselves. She has to realize what Anthony is doing to her and that while he isn't evil or anything like that, she needs to be her own person and not let others define her. Kat is a fiercely loyal friend and is doing this to try to help Annie, just as I'm sure Anthony thinks he's acting in her best interest, but it's true both of them are failing her right now.

Annie might realize this, but I think she won't be able to until after a great amount of damage will be done to Annie's other relationships, particularly Kat. Otherwise what would be the point of Anthony's introduction from a narrative standpoint if everything returns to the status quo? Learning that the people you love are flawed(because everyone is) and not necessarily the best examples of how you should live your own life is a lesson Annie needs to learn. Kat needs to learn to listen to her friends. When someone is suffering the worst thing you can do is deny them agency, make decisions for them and not pay attention to the things they are telling you.

Basically, everything is a train wreck and is pretty painful to read as a result. Kudos to Tom.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 17, 2015

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

You know, so far, I'm not seeing a downside to removing a magical parasite that eventually kills its host and then transfers to her child.

It's less that and more trying to cut away a core part of another person to make them into the person you think they should be instead of the person they truly are. Note how Annie ends up acting a lot more like Anthony under his care both in the early pages of the comic and now after he's reappeared.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

I'd agree with both of you if this thing that makes her the way she is wasn't also a death sentence.

e: OK after thinking about it that post was a little disingenuous. There is a downside to what happened in that it changed her personality. I believe that this is worth saving her life, however.

Well I kinda view it more in that it's something like oxygen. You need it to live so getting rid of it means you die. That doesn't mean the oxygen is responsible for killing you but rather is just part of the environmental/operating conditions that you need to live. If she is this way because she is a fire elemental and she gets her life force or whatever from the fire within then fully separating her from it will kill her because that's what keeps her alive. Of course there is a lot we don't know so it might not be this simple.

Trying to find a work around which Anthony is doing isn't necessarily a bad thing in of itself but it's pretty bad to not care about Annie's thoughts or her consent on the issue. He just kinda treats her like an object which isn't a healthy way for a parent to care for a child. The early etheric surgery was definitely done without consent or notifying anyone who knew and cared about Annie. It's clear Anthony is involved though because otherwise the housing quarters make no sense. I mean look at Anthony's house, dude still knows what living quarters should look like and he's not a card carrying villain who is gonna put his daughter in an expensive looking giant all metal lab room just for fun.

He's probably been working on this research ever since he dumped Annie off at the school without a word years ago. What we don't know is the extent of Annie's involvement, though she would do whatever Anthony says in regards to herself so she can't really be called a free actor at this point. Unless she's playing some long con but I doubt her devotion is anything but sincere after her fight with Renard. Look at how hard it was for her to deceive her father in regards to Renard as well, and she only did so because her best friend of many years really pushed her on it.

My money is on the idea that while you can put distance between the fire elemental and Annie, you can't fully separate them because the fire elemental is Annie. Just like Surma was still able to survive in close proximity with her daughter for a time, it might be a similar situation here. In an attempt to do a more severe break, I bet something really bad will happen which will probably be when poo poo really goes down. Anthony's one sided obsession to fix Annie in a way that he failed to do with Surma is probably not going to lead to everything being all nice and good for everyone.

Can't wait to see where Tom takes this at any rate.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 4, 2015

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

The bone surgery thing might have been him, but I don't think that's an open and shut case. For all we know it could have been a manifestation of Annie's own fears or whatever that took the form of her dad. It was a weird chapter that is vastly open to interpretation.

Anthony did it. Zimmy who is highly in-tune with the ether was able to identify him and stopped the procedure by doing the ether equivalent of punching him in the face. Anthony's battle damage could have come from something else, and it's possible the bone spears could have been coming from the sky not because of the satelite her father controls but for some other reason, and maybe he was asking for surgical equipment from Donnie for an unrelated reason but the Zimmy thing is hard to deny. We saw that whole thing from her point of view after all, so it's not likely a lie.

There are other bits you can argue are less certain for sure, but it's pretty clear cut that Anthony was the one behind the surgery.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

On the other hand, it could just as easily be some manifestation of her subconscience taking the form of her father. Zimmy saw a bunch of people in her mind, like Jack and Jones. Were they also in there loving around with her mind?

That apparations are different. Zimmy starts lucid, having just left gamma's care and is conversing with Kat who is sitting next to her while she is delving through Annie's thoughts. Thats when the whole exchange between her and Anthony occurs and she does the whole here's a present from your daughter bit. Note if you are stickler, she is able to tell Kat that her dad is involved at this time as well. She even says, I'm going to try to stop what he's doing. When things go crazy and she says to get gamma notice how she is unable to interact with Kat at that point but before she could.

And notice that she never addresses Jack cause she knows he's fake, instead she complains about not wanting to know about Annie's boyfriends, etc etc. The same comment she made in regards to Jones and the elf guy.

What got punched didn't turn into anything or at least it didn't look like that to me, I think Nobody Jack just appeared behind her. When she did the punch thing she is shown flying up into the air and not something in the room.

As far as being clueless about renard I'd say thats not his area of expertise, contracts and dolls or whatever is involved. Keep in mind this is Anthony, he has probably spent most of his waking hours on the fire elemental problem ever since Surma got pregnant most likely. Just because you are an expert in one area doesn't make you an expert in everything. It wouldn't surprise me that "fixing" this is probably his single driving obsession or pretty high on the list anyways. How much does he really care about Renard? He wanted to remove him because he doesn't trust him but that might just be the extent of it.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 5, 2015

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Boogaleeboo posted:

Well I mean she lives in a giant room whose only practical use could be containing the fire side of her, so.....there's a fair chance he has an idea something is happening. Unless she asked for the giant featureless white cavern to live in and he just went "Seems legit.".

Yeah, the room is why I thought Anthony must have some idea what is going on since he actually lives in a proper house so the dude knows what residential quarters should look like.

The idea that he put his daughter in a giant featureless room with almost no furniture just for the hell of it is pretty awful but also funny.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Noonsaliwah posted:

The impression I got is that while humans pass on 50% of their genes, the fire elemental passes on 100% of itself - that's why the parents need to die (since part of themselves is transferred directly, instead of half being copied as it is in humans). That would suggest that Annie is as fire-elemental the result of the first union.

It's clear that the fire elemental 'genes' don't work the same way as humans, as Annie needed to stay by her mother in the hospital while it passed over. Or have I misread things?

Yeah, I think that's a good way to look of it. People treating the fire elemental as an inconsequential or barely present part of Annie are being really disingenuous since this aspect was important enough that Surma died without it.

Annie isn't fully human, shes part elemental part human and currently she is divided but both parts are still a part of her. She'll have to acknowledge and face her anger to grow as a person or she'll fall in the same trap that Ysengrim does with treating his anger as an external demon that sometimes takes control.

It's seems to me to be more an analogy of personal struggle and coming to terms with yourself than purely a game of genetics.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

YF-23 posted:

Annie's fire elemental part is obviously important because it's part of who she is an part of what makes her different. But I don't think it's big enough that it missing would impede her mentally or emotionally in any serious way as the people likening its removal to a lobotomy seem to suggest sometimes.

The fire elemental part of her isn't important because it makes her different, it's important because it makes her not be dead. Pretty sure being so dead, that there is nothing left of you even for the psychopomps to escort counts as an impediment. Did you forget about what happened to Surma?

Based on the fact that Annie is still alive, she's done something to affect the connection but it's not a complete break. We don't know the exact nature of it, but it might be something similar to cutting away emotions/thoughts that she just cant deal with and this is the way it's manifested. As she said to Kat, it's taking all of her willpower not to break down so this is probably isn't something that can be maintained forever.

Can't wait to see how this conversation goes. Can easily go either way and be a tipping point for Annie. Maybe it'll help her understand him a bit better, and it helps her parse some of his more incomprehensible actions or it'll go bad and half the school will burn down. Should be a fun read regardless.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Podima posted:

So just to make sure I'm not confused - this is taking place some time after the failed dinner, yeah?

I'm not sure, but I don't get the impression that Anthony was really phased by the dinner and needed time to cool off. Just cause he doesn't seem comfortable expressing himself in front of people (with the exception of Donnie and presumably Surma) doesn't mean that he took personal offense to anything that was going on. He simply might have wanted to end an awkward situation as fast as possible, just as he'll use work as an excuse to do the same. Tony and Donnie seem to have a close enough relationship where they are free to be frank and not take offense. Though he probably didn't want to have that talk in front of the kids, and Donnie picked up on that. If anyone is pissed right now, it might be Donnie cause he has yet to smile or anything here.

Maybe one day Annie will get to have smiling jokester tony in her life, but the fact that he treats her so probably indicates that he has no idea how to interact with her. Possibly due to resentment about Surma's death, but it could just be he has no idea about how to be a father and so he just emotionally walls himself off and runs away because that's his response to every difficult interpersonal problem so far that we've seen. That's my random speculation anyways.

Great updates and I love that Tom manages to make this stuff even more compelling than all the etheric and magic stuff.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

a bloody icon posted:

This page is having the opposite effect on me and making me more angry that he didn't even attempt to show an ounce of affection for his daughter.

Oh don't get me wrong, he is a horrible dad. He withholds affection, ignores her for years, humiliates her in public and cuts her off from most of her friends and her support network she had built up. Renard, the dude who tried to kill her once, is 10x the father figure he is which is really saying something. (Though Donnie is best dad of course)

But that said, hes a very complicated character and it'll be interesting to see what happens, if Annie is able to better understand him and either reject him or try to rebuild their relationship into something healthier for the both of them. It's doubtful Anthony is going to be the person to make that happen so it's going to be Annie who gets to make that call most likely.

^^^ I know that's a joke but if Annie has problems relating to people, that's probably her dad's fault too. She started the comic very reserved and emotionally distant and has only now been able to get to a better place. Her father returns and all that isolation comes back and it's likely not a coincidence. How much was she suffering at the start of the comic, before she had friends or people to really talk to and get her? Right after her mother died, her dad just ups and leaves her in a strange place and then never tries to contact her or reassure her or anything.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

One Legged Cat posted:

Hold on, hold on.

It's just horribly tragic enough to be true.

Yeah, I think that's very possible. If he's experiencing shame from his failure to save Surma (in his eyes) or he fears what his daughter thinks of him, then that could explain why he finds it so difficult to be around Annie. Since we know how he acts when hes in difficult interpersonal situation it explains his behavior pretty well. If he feels that his daughter hates him now, that would make it even worse. Donnie he feels understands him and he is comfortable around him so those same barriers don't apply.

Also YF, I don't recall any part of the comic where Tony wanted Annie to call her Father instead of Dad, the only thing similar to that was when he said she had to call him Sir and not Father. But presumably that was a matter of classroom decorum to him, rather than something more significant than that. Though the fact that exchange happens in the middle of a bunch of public embarrassments for Annie, I'm sure the point of it was to show just how profound the disconnect was between them and how bad their relationship is right now. Hence Annie's complete breakdown just after all that.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

at least turns out to have been trying to save Annie.

This is most likely the case. The problem here isn't his intent, the problem is he cut Annie out of the process for everything. Though I suppose we wouldn't have much of a story if he took the time to talk to Annie to figure out what she actually wanted and what kind of person she is from the get go. Instead, he tried to shoulder all the responsibility himself and make all her decisions for her.

Though what is confirmed is that Donnie is the best. He knows he cant convince Anthony to talk to Annie, so he creates an opportunity to do it by using the blinker stone. Donnie knows both of them so well and he is truly the best friend/dad type person.

It's going to be really interesting to see what Annie will do after all this.

^ Whether Annie is in danger or not: Being half fire elemental seems to be only life threatening if you have a child. We know this because if any time down the line a person of Annie's heritage passed away for different reasons, Annie wouldn't be here today. Also it fits with Tony's MO that he would do whatever he can to fix Annie, without notifying her or knowing how his actions directly affect her. Because he has to fix his mistake and "make things right" for failing to save her mother. His feelings and shame probably trump everything because he is an intensely emotional and withdrawn person. Which makes sense, the dude's wife died and it's understandable that would mess him up. So that does make him sympathetic. But never talking to Annie because of shame/fear is not the best thing for her and that doesn't take a rocket bone surgeon to figure out.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Hremsfeld posted:

I'm of the opinion that experimental surgery should only be done with the patient's informed consent and that to do otherwise kinda makes you an rear end in a top hat, and that going out of your way to humiliate your daughter the very first time you see her after so many years also makes you an rear end in a top hat, and that both of those choices were the wrong choices, but maybe I'm just weird :shrug:

Yeah. Anthony has suffered, has good intentions and is not malicious. Anthony has also neglected, humiliated and hurt his daughter to the point that she is suffering an emotional breakdown. Both of these things can be true. How much is Anthony's fault is a whole can of worms but also irrelevant to the fact that he has done hurtful things to his daughter. Annie learning these things will probably do a lot to help her deal with it, but the sad part is it probably still wont help them be closer. Unfortunately when someone internalizes poo poo to this degree, it takes more than a hug and a talk to fix it.

In short, I wouldn't call Anthony an rear end in a top hat but he undeniably behaved like one. I think that's an important distinction.

It's complicated, like real life relationships often are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Also I am rereading to Kill a Mockingbird and I just finished the part where Scout overhears Atticus talking to Uncle Jack about the upcoming case and about Scout herself. The entire time Atticus knew she was there and it was years later before she realised this. I think it'd be neat if Tony knows Annie is listening in and this is the only way he can be open with her, it'd be sweet. Sweet as in cute not as in kickin' rad.

I think you are giving way too much emotional competency to Tony in respect to his daughter. We know based on how he acted towards Brinnie and how Donnie describes him that when he gets cold and silent and harsh that means he doesn't know what to do is and stressed. If he knew Annie was listening he I don't think he would be nearly that open. Dude is extremely introverted, that's not something a person turns on or off on a whim. Atticus is more like Donnie, wise and more emotionally grounded than someone like Tony.

Don't get me wrong, that would be very sweet and heart warming, but I have a feeling we aren't going to get that for some time. The one thing Tony has been insistent on is that he committed a big mistake and while it could be any number of things, Tom has had him mention it a few times now without telling us what it is. That makes me think its going to be a big deal and something that we don't know about yet. It may involve Annie but maybe it won't. Makes me nervous because hes portraying him in a nice light right now so I'm just waiting to see how hes going to pull the rug out from under us.