Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

1stGear posted:

Donny and Anthony sent satellites into orbit as a hobby. Said satellites are still there in a stable orbit.

As a hobby.

Makes sense really, Kat made an anti-grav unit in order to experiment the effect of protein crystal growth in zero gravity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Tea-san posted:

People have called me a bad and lazy writer since the day I started the comic, but that's fine, I know this is the internet and I am not perfect. I hope people at least enjoy the story.

The thing I like most about this comic is that when I go back to re-read things I notice stuff that ties into the more recent chapters. The amount of planning/foresight that you obviously put into it makes it great.

The story itself isn't so bad either. :)

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

V. Illych L. posted:

Does anyone have the big avatar post? I, uh, made the mistake of arguing with someone in D&D.

There's a link to it in the OP, but here it is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3351001&pagenumber=139#post399784438

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Quinton posted:

Now that's a rocket launch I can believe in. It kinda stands to reason that, like much of the work Anja and Donald have done, his rocket is some kind of science-meets-etheric-arts hybrid. One wonders if Kat might eventually follow in her parents' footsteps here, carry on the Donlan legacy, as it were.

It also reminded me of this rant, by somebody who did not get the memo that GKC is not exactly hard sci-fi: http://c1qfxugcgy0.tumblr.com/post/20510046708/this-is-not-how-spaceflight-works

Also I would assume that The Court isn't on our Earth, that would just be ridiculous.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

MikeJF posted:

I assume that it exists in a world that is like our world except for when it's not.

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm specifically thinking that all the UN resolutions and the entirety of the Cold War would not exist in GC world since it's clearly not taking place on our Earth.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Since we see them both in frame but not actually joining I now suspect that the next comic something totally unexpected will happen to the rocket/MS5.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

SirSamVimes posted:

I wanted to do the telescope appearing, but I couldn't get a good crop. :(

Did a quick touch up of the bottom of the quote bubble too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

And with the boarder.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Parts Kit posted:

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I could have sworn Zimmy said she never sleeps. So how would she dream?

Dreams in the sense of the bottom row of panels here: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=459.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Iceclaw posted:

Maybe none of last few strips happened in the real world, and we are currently seeing one of Kat's nightmares? It would make all of the weird elements fit in.

I don't think City Face sitting on her head would be a "nightmare".

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

though I'd expect a Zimmy-dream to have more relevance than that.

If it was a Zimmy-dream wouldn't she have her Birmingham clothes on? She's still in her normal outfit in the forest.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

What the gently caress :staredog:

Edit: I'm guessing (though most of my guesses have been wrong) that Kamlen and Jonesy are simply metaphors for the forest and the court? I don't THINK a naked Jonesy popped out of a bush and gave Annie a mask.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 14, 2012

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

endolithic posted:

So Annie's binding from Coyote goes from a ring of teeth last page to a plain wrapping in the first panel and is gone by the second-to-last panel. Maybe it's a symbolic depiction of her return to the court. Now she's unhappy but putting on a brave face for her friends? That doesn't explain her collapse or why Jones is naked, but there may be more to see.

P.S. Tom please draw Deadly Premonition fanart forever

That binding looks like a gift from Kamlen. It's the same as his bracelet (which he also had in the previous comic).

After she gets the mask she removes the bracelet and Kamlen leaves.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Bitchtits McGee posted:

What, you got something against equality? :mad:

I think it's more along the lines of getting knocked up would eventually kill her

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

So when she removes the mask she starts wearing Zimmy's real world clothes? And what the hell is Zimmy wearing with that collar and the red streaks in her hair? It's not her Birmingham clothes because that has no collar, and it's not the same collar as her real world clothes.

Also the pigeon doesn't even know it's a pigeon on Kat's head.

And what is that red stuff on them?

The only thing that I think I understand is Annie crying because a) Kat is there and b) she could remove the mask, nothing else makes sense at all

pik_d fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 16, 2012

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

YF-23 posted:

Pretty sure she's just wearing the clothes she was wearing on the tree scene, not Zimmy's clothes.

Zimmy's real world clothes are the same as the others but without the brown sweater vest, which disappears as Annie removes the mask

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Raposa posted:

As others have said, she's just wearing her school uniform from that scene from way back, when Annie first broke her emotionless mask and wept for her mum. Red stuff is cherry juices, cause they were eating cherries in that cherry tree they're under. Dirty clothes from climbing and falling said tree.

Ah, I guess I was just seeing parallels in that Zimmy also wears a school uniform sans sweater vest, combined with the fact that in Zimmy dreams sometimes people (including Zimmy) aren't who they appear to be, also combined with the fact that clothes disappearing/appearing seems to always be related to Zimmy dreams.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Nettle Soup posted:

I love that pigeon, totally my favourite part of todays page.

My favorite part of today is that it makes me believe we're really going to see some inner workings of Annie's mind in next weeks three updates.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Annie's sleeves were tearing when she reached out... I wonder what that means.

And yeah, it looks like Zimmy is jumping into a hair-portal into Annie's mind. Or something like that.

Then they're not torn in the next panel, to me that's even more strange

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Mazerunner posted:

Annie looks like Popeye in the first panel.

And the last looks like... something but that is probably just me being terrible.

That's definitely you being terrible

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Iceclaw posted:

I think that's pretty much it, except the spikes seem to be ice, because she want to project the aspect of someone cold, like Jones.

It doesn't look like ice though, they're not translucent and they're gray. Also fire melts ice, everyone knows this.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Zimmy is about to gently caress with something that I don't think she should gently caress with :ohdear:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

That eye with fire coming out of it looks pretty mad

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

You're all gonna feel real bad when it turns out Tony was really close to making it so that Annie could live a normal life without dying a few years after she gave birth.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Kanthulhu posted:

I thought at first she had broken Anthony's face but yeah, this nobody isn't wearing the same clothes as the punched guy on the page before.

Like that matters? Zimmy has changed clothes between panels of the same page.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Maybe because of the Tic Tocs she's afraid of birds?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Zenzirouj posted:

I think it's ok for the early Zimmy stuff to not line up perfectly with what's happening now; that was a long-rear end time ago and the comic has evolved a lot since then. No need to go crazy in-depth to make sure everything was foreshadowed 7 years ago.
You say this but:

Bongo Bill posted:

True, plus Zimmyvision, like the more serious distortions, only happens "sometimes."

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Fargo Fukes posted:

The eyeshadow can be a bit much. I never read Gunnerkrigg the first few times I was linked it because if featured an eleven year old schoolgirl in eye shadow, lip gloss and what appears to be false eyelashes and hair extensions. And the first page is her doing an over-the-shoulder pinup pose. It was Creepy As gently caress, essentially. It recovered obviously, but overly sexual depictions of eleven year old schoolgirls in a creepy dark boarding school is kind of a worrying place for a webcomic to start.

You're really loving weird dude, she had a football head and a frumpy brown sweater, not sure how anyone can look sexualized (especially as an 8 year old) with those features. And no, that's not a pinup pose in the first comic.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Micgael posted:

You're all assholes. Gunnerkrigg Court is a thread for peace (Except when Tea-san comes in to deliver the sickest burns).

I noticed that these two hugs looked pretty similar when I first saw today's comic, but I do honestly think it's just a coincidence since That's How People Hug.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

RickoniX posted:

That image is a little disingenous, the cover is closer to this

It has nothing close to the same body language and facial expression as that example so no, it's really not.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Oh, it was just a dream. Okay then, everything's just hunky-dory I guess \/:)\/

I think the missing headband shows that it's not a dream, and that's just how Kat explained it. For Annie it would be more dreamlike since she started out unconscious.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Produced by... what? PRODUCED BY WHAT?

Don't leave us hanging like this!

It's OK, we will definitely find out on Friday.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

OriginalPseudonym posted:

Comic update.

The makeup's back.

Possible flashback chapter?

Edit: Also what is she climbing? I don't remember any climbing in the forest. And those shoes don't look like good climbing shoes.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Coyote broke the forth wall to help future-Annie narrate. He is indeed very powerful.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Regy Rusty posted:

I think it's weird to call it a cliffhanger when it only exists as one for two days.

It's more of a ledge, like jumping off your kitchen counter.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Coyote is going to obliterate the 4th wall by telling Annie how the Native American myth of the Coyote and the European myths of Reinardus the Fox and Ysengrimus the Wolf then explain how thousands of years later a webcomic artist used them is his webcomic and how Annie herself is just a character then GC will end.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Fecha posted:

That rock really does look pretty feminine. No idea why.
To me it looks like a blanket wrapped around a baby minus the baby

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Even when he transforms into some kind of spider-wolf he still has opposable thumbs

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Migishu posted:

Is it just me or does Ysengrin have 2 left feet in the 3rd panel?

(also called it 5 days ago)
I think it's because:

pik_d posted:

Even when he transforms into some kind of spider-wolf he still has opposable thumbs

Also look at the previous page, he's got a ton of limbs (because he is a tree, I get it now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Maybe she did hurt her ankle?