Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
still salty that we never got a localization for SB2 heroes because the vanilla game unironically has some of the best dub work i've ever heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Professor Moriarty posted:

Not exactly the thread for it but what's the current gold standard for Musou games now? Haven't played one since Dynasty Warriors 4.

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate

If you liked Persona 5, P5 Strikers is a fun sequel.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not exactly the thread for it but what's the current gold standard for Musou games now? Haven't played one since Dynasty Warriors 4.

The best warriors game now are same as 10 years ago, Samurai Warriors 4, Warriors Orochi 3, Dynasty Warriors 8 and Hyrule Warriors

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*

Paying2Lurk posted:

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate

If you liked Persona 5, P5 Strikers is a fun sequel.

really liked Strikers, since it was Dynasty Warriors-ish, but not full DW.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Dynasty Warriors 8. all the mechanics have been refined to a razor sharp edge, there's an insane amount of game to play, tons of variety between the characters, and i love what they did with the alternate history campaigns you can unlock by pulling off difficult objectives on certain maps

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

GateOfD posted:

really liked Strikers, since it was Dynasty Warriors-ish, but not full DW.

Yeah it managed to feel like Persona with some DW flavor. Plus it's a cool hangout game with the gang.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
i find it amusing that a few game releases are like "oh poo poo, the DLC for Elden Ring is that week, everyone, we're delaying out release dates, we're not gonna try to even challenge that" Even saying that it be a suicidal release date.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

SMT V got pushed up a week so I'm happy with that.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The best warriors game now are same as 10 years ago, Samurai Warriors 4, Warriors Orochi 3, Dynasty Warriors 8 and Hyrule Warriors

Three Hopes was pretty good and had some fun systems that would work nicely in any Musou game, but it didn't have enough movesets.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pirate warriors 3 is pretty good, as is sengoku basara 4 sumeragi

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Samurai Warriors 4 is my go-to.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

pirate warriors 3 is pretty good, as is sengoku basara 4 sumeragi

what about pirate warriors 4?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would go to bat for Age of Calamity having the overall best character design in a Warriors game by a significant degree, even if the level design isn't great.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Meowywitch posted:

Not as good as 3 for reasons I can't quite put my finger on but are almost assuredly related to how grindy it can get.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

ImpAtom posted:

I would go to bat for Age of Calamity having the overall best character design in a Warriors game by a significant degree, even if the level design isn't great.

I feel like "level design isn't great" is really understating the problem. When a Warriors game has good levels, it pressures you and forces you to juggle multiple objectives and to make the most of when multiple characters are available, because if you walk everywhere with one character then you're going to lose forts or CPU allies. Hyrule Warriors was good about this! But Age of Calamity basically just doesn't have that entire aspect of the game. The combat's good! But without a context to pressure you it all feels kind of hollow.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

less maps and characters, better gameplay. Introduces aerial combat which wasn't really necessary for a warrior's game lol and also environmental damage which is pretty deece

Adds more customization to movesets which is fun enough to gently caress around with for the 20 minutes before you realize there's not a lot of depth to it. Aerial combat's a nice thought but it's janky and the best characters are Speed characters. Cavendish and Carrot are tremendously broken so if you love them you'll love PW4 (haven't played DLC characters so couldn't tell you how Yamato gets in that game). Also the extra modes are way more boring than 3's, so less replayable if that's what you're looking for.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
okiku is my big favorite one piece character and she's playable in pirate warriors 4, so thats the one you should play if you pick any of them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pirate warriors 4 is okay but a lot of characters from 3 wound up with much jankier movesets than they had in 3, like crocodile.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
When I read "pirate warriors" my first thought was that it'd be some weird pseudo-historical thing with all the most famous pirates from the age of pirates, so hearing that it's just One Piece is somehow disappointing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you want a koei game with weird playable characters bladestorm lets you play as Christine de Pizan

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

So Legend of Legacy is supposed to be bad, right? Noticed an HD version or whatever just launched and it got me a bit curious.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Infinity Gaia posted:

So Legend of Legacy is supposed to be bad, right? Noticed an HD version or whatever just launched and it got me a bit curious.

The Alliance Alive was made later, but already got a HD port years ago. Even the developer and publisher know the later game was far better.

I don't know if it is considered bad tho. It just isn't good enough to make it to a "best RPGs that were on the 3DS" list unless you are making a top 50. Barely.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 25, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Crystal Ortha update. About 2 hours in. It's not bad! Not great either, but hitting that JRPG junk food craving I was having.

• Encounter rate is high, like count to 5 and you'll be in another fight high, but there's Auto and 2X speed options so it's been fine.
  • Random encounters can kill you if you're under-leveled, but it doesn't take long to catch up in a new area. At least for now.
  • Your HP heals after every fight, no healing items either. Just Skills you can use in combat.
  • You collect Gem fragments that give you boosts like +3 Agility, etc. No need to equip / use them, passive for the party.
  • No money, which is neat. You craft new equipment with Ore.
  • All the chests and gems are marked on the mini-map.
  • Story is clunky, but interesting enough. I've played worse / more confusing from Kemco.

I thought there would be more to the gem fragment system, like needing to decide which ones to keep active or combining them, but nope. You just get the stats after finding them. Combat is done first-person / Dragonquest style. Not a ding against it, but I have more nostalgia for side-view fighting.

Oh, and the "Crytal Ortha" is the thing you're searching for in the game. Ortha apparently means "sea" in an old language so it's a huge sea of crystals. Crystals are the hot new power source, replacing steam engines, but they're linked to ancient dragons and they corrupt animals exposed to them so they may be bad, too. It's engaging enough.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mierenneuker posted:

The Alliance Alive was made later, but already got a HD port years ago. Even the developer and publisher know the later game was far better.

I don't know if it is considered bad tho. It just isn't good enough to make it to a "best RPGs that were on the 3DS" list unless you are making a top 50. Barely.

I found it kind of interesting. Alliance Alive is absolutely better for sure. It's got similar (if less baked) mechanics and a good soundtrack. On the flipside I found it to be very, very grindy and I think the 3 person party is very limiting. Personally I'd wait for a sale (or play Alliance Alive if one hasn't).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
yup, confirming that DQ Builders 2 is dope.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Hell yeah it is

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

It's fine but I wouldn't pay full price for it, especially when we have a new SaGa game coming up.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

they want shady posted:

less maps and characters, better gameplay. Introduces aerial combat which wasn't really necessary for a warrior's game lol and also environmental damage which is pretty deece

Adds more customization to movesets which is fun enough to gently caress around with for the 20 minutes before you realize there's not a lot of depth to it. Aerial combat's a nice thought but it's janky and the best cbuharacters are Speed characters. Cavendish and Carrot are tremendously broken so if you love them you'll love PW4 (haven't played DLC characters so couldn't tell you how Yamato gets in that game). Also the extra modes are way more boring than 3's, so less replayable if that's what you're looking for.

bunny girls remain extra

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I wish we’d get another Gundam Dynasty Warriors.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I wish Sifrin got more useful stuff

Sifrin wishes they were more useful too :)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

DNE posted:

Sifrin wishes they were more useful too :)

...that hurts after getting a Rock attack and the Attack Buff at battle start Memory. And well, everything else. I'm sorry my boy, you are the best, please forgive yourself or at least that's what I think the Headmaiden is trying to say before the forced looping

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Mystia's Izakaya update: you can take all the time you want to challenge the final boss, which is a) a little odd considering the pacing of the rest of the game b) nevertheless greatly appreciated because the first time I challenged her I got rng screwed into a no-win loop on her second phase

edit: is it an rpg? I'm not entirely sure but it's good and more people should play it

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Leraika posted:

Mystia's Izakaya update: you can take all the time you want to challenge the final boss, which is a) a little odd considering the pacing of the rest of the game b) nevertheless greatly appreciated because the first time I challenged her I got rng screwed into a no-win loop on her second phase

edit: is it an rpg? I'm not entirely sure but it's good and more people should play it

I have that game but haven't played it yet.

Does it run on the Steam Deck?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Rinkles posted:

It's really good. I wish they'd release a Builders 3.............

Infinity Gaia posted:

It's like... a less good SaGa game, but the 3DS version was released a bit before they started porting all the SaGa games so it filled a certain niche. But now you could just play, like, any SaGa game and have a better time, including SaGa Emerald Beyond, releasing in one month.

(Incidentally, The Alliance Alive, a pseudo-sequel, also got remaster several years ago, and by most accounts it's a much better game. It was written by the late Yoshitaka Murayama, who also has a game coming out next month, Eiyuden Chronicles Hundred Heroes)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Annath posted:

I have that game but haven't played it yet.

Does it run on the Steam Deck?

I don't know, since I don't own one, but I don't see why it wouldn't. The store page also says it's verified for steam deck.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

is the cheapest steam deck worth 300?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Meowywitch posted:

is the cheapest steam deck worth 300?

It’s 64gb but you can just use SD cards. I would buy it if I had $300.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

TheMightyBoops posted:

It’s 64gb but you can just use SD cards. I would buy it if I had $300.

sorry I guess the cheapest steam deck is now $400

what about that?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I feel this is entirely down to if you are going to play it frequently enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yea like. its a thing you can play steam games on portably. if you have use for that its good. if you dont then its not.