Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Any quests that are missable/can expire have the clock symbol next to them, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

I guess this is an okay place to ask since it’s about a JRPG: does anyone remember if there’s any side quest cutoffs in Xenoblade besides The Big One in the lategame? I beat it when it first released in the states so I’m not worried about spoilers, I just can’t remember if the whole Colony 6 reconstruction ruins the side quests on Bionis’ Leg with the refugees.

The move to colony 6 times out most of the refugee camp quests

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Any quests that are missable/can expire have the clock symbol next to them, IIRC.

I probably should have been more specific, I mean if there’s multiple points of no return for the side quests or just the big one when everything goes to poo poo and the High Entia get turned into Telethia or whatever the psychic monsters are called

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Microcline posted:

The move to colony 6 times out most of the refugee camp quests

Thanks, much appreciated

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ImpAtom posted:

I am now picturing it being narrated by Michelangelo at his most 90s surfer dude.

"You WRECKED that guy! Totally tubular, dude!"

Has anyone ever discussed how hosed up it is that the Turtles are in new york but talk like Californian surfer dude stereotypes? What in the rear end were they thinking

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Turtles should say things like "OHH! check out this broad" and stuff like that imo

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!
Okay, just finished Grandia 2. I admit I've got a soft spot for this era of JRPG when they're not being arbitrarily bullshit, it just has my ideal level of tone and seriousness, and mechanics that exist well enough to sink your teeth into without either getting too weirdly complicated, or feeling like they streamlined away useful parts.

Mechanically... honestly I'm genuinely wondering why we don't just point to this as THE game to emulate for 'active turn-based', it's a really engaging system that's got a lot of clever nuance while remaining fairly simple to understand (I think I actually said 'oh you clever loving bitch' at the first boss who just stalls on the turn gauge instead of immediately going into move prep), and I feel like we'd only be able to do it even better with an example to learn from; I kinda feel like the game itself wasn't super aware of how its own system works, given the final boss was easy pretty much entirely because it's not built to actually make use of the system it's in. But there's plenty of boss fights that really flex all the different ways a fight could be difficult here, it's really just the finale that fumbled it.

For the story... I kinda got the feeling that the actual plot started picking up in interesting ideas just as the actual character writing started falling apart. Learning the overall truth about Granas and Valmar, through several layers, is actually super interesting and feels like sort of a precursor to a lot of later RPG plots that try to do similar; in particular I started noticing a lot of similarities to Zodiark and Hydaelyn in FFXIV, but there's definitely a lot of others like it. You can see where standards raised in the time since Grandia 2's release, because a lot of those concepts are kinda skeletal and unexplored where similar stories now would dig deeper, but that's not really a fault of Grandia 2 itself; it's doing what it's setting out to do, it's just not setting out to do as much. But just as this stuff was getting more interesting, Ryudo becomes a far less compelling character in a way that feels less like character development and more like the writers just wanting to make him an archetypal hero without quite doing the work to get him there. Zera also felt underbaked, but that might just be hindsight; he's exactly the character that would be given a specific and sympathetic reason to feel the way he does if the game were made now, and they just don't bother doing that; he's not an unrepentant rear end in a top hat monster, there's clearly some internality, there's just not really a 'why' to him. And also Elena just pulls some out-of-nowhere powers and revelations at the end, but that was just kind of a 'sure, why not'.

Also I kind of assumed that Skye was some secret super-important figure that'd be key to the whole story... but no, apparently in this universe some birds just talk and are super wise, and that's all.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 16, 2024

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Turtles should say things like "OHH! check out this broad" and stuff like that imo

it's mostly Mikey who's like that, and also in the 2003 series Raph has the thickest Jersey accent known to man

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If Grandia 2's twist (and then its later, optional, double twist(?)) didnt exist exactly what you talked about where the character writing collapses entirely would be its narrative legacy. Instead it survives for going for it.

Also yes, the combat rules and any game that remotely apes it like Child of Light is an automatic fine game to me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thanks for suggesting a less neolib Spider-Man 2, that's fun to daydream about.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Junpei posted:

it's mostly Mikey who's like that, and also in the 2003 series Raph has the thickest Jersey accent known to man
I assume that the Turtles, not having a formal education or much opportunity to socialize with humans as children, probably learned their language skills from TV. Which explains why some of them have over-the-top accents which may not necessarily be from the area they grew up in.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

lol

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Has anyone ever discussed how hosed up it is that the Turtles are in new york but talk like Californian surfer dude stereotypes? What in the rear end were they thinking

You lose your regional accent if you learn to surf. Many New Yorkers don’t take advantage of the strong currents in the sewers like the turtles and therefore have maintained their accents.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Okay, just finished Grandia 2. I admit I've got a soft spot for this era of JRPG when they're not being arbitrarily bullshit, it just has my ideal level of tone and seriousness, and mechanics that exist well enough to sink your teeth into without either getting too weirdly complicated, or feeling like they streamlined away useful parts.

Mechanically... honestly I'm genuinely wondering why we don't just point to this as THE game to emulate for 'active turn-based', it's a really engaging system that's got a lot of clever nuance while remaining fairly simple to understand (I think I actually said 'oh you clever loving bitch' at the first boss who just stalls on the turn gauge instead of immediately going into move prep), and I feel like we'd only be able to do it even better with an example to learn from; I kinda feel like the game itself wasn't super aware of how its own system works, given the final boss was easy pretty much entirely because it's not built to actually make use of the system it's in. But there's plenty of boss fights that really flex all the different ways a fight could be difficult here, it's really just the finale that fumbled it.

For the story... I kinda got the feeling that the actual plot started picking up in interesting ideas just as the actual character writing started falling apart. Learning the overall truth about Granas and Valmar, through several layers, is actually super interesting and feels like sort of a precursor to a lot of later RPG plots that try to do similar; in particular I started noticing a lot of similarities to Zodiark and Hydaelyn in FFXIV, but there's definitely a lot of others like it. You can see where standards raised in the time since Grandia 2's release, because a lot of those concepts are kinda skeletal and unexplored where similar stories now would dig deeper, but that's not really a fault of Grandia 2 itself; it's doing what it's setting out to do, it's just not setting out to do as much. But just as this stuff was getting more interesting, Ryudo becomes a far less compelling character in a way that feels less like character development and more like the writers just wanting to make him an archetypal hero without quite doing the work to get him there. Zera also felt underbaked, but that might just be hindsight; he's exactly the character that would be given a specific and sympathetic reason to feel the way he does if the game were made now, and they just don't bother doing that; he's not an unrepentant rear end in a top hat monster, there's clearly some internality, there's just not really a 'why' to him. And also Elena just pulls some out-of-nowhere powers and revelations at the end, but that was just kind of a 'sure, why not'.

Also I kind of assumed that Skye was some secret super-important figure that'd be key to the whole story... but no, apparently in this universe some birds just talk and are super wise, and that's all.

Grandia 2 is the inspiration for a lot of games (or at least part of the evolution tree.) Timeline manipulation is a pretty common element of RPGs and you can trace elements of Grandia to other timeline rpgs. Heck, to some degree Emerald Beyond/Scarlet Grace's combat system is basically what you get when you give Grandia 2 a decade of evolution.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a lot of games sort of fumble the 'rear end in a top hat becomes a nice guy' type of character development because theyre too afraid to make the character actually unpleasant at the start, so it feels less like theyve become a better, more likable person and more like most of their personality got removed. grandia 2's definitely a case of this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

a lot of games sort of fumble the 'rear end in a top hat becomes a nice guy' type of character development because theyre too afraid to make the character actually unpleasant at the start, so it feels less like theyve become a better, more likable person and more like most of their personality got removed. grandia 2's definitely a case of this.

It's honestly a tough road to walk in general. First impressions tend to strongly color how people view a character and starting someone off as a jerk means that it is what people are most likely to remember especially because a lot of people like... don't finish games, especially long-rear end RPGs.

I'm guilty of it myself in that I respect what Tales of the Abyss did but I find Luke's initial presentation so grating and annoying that I had a hard time caring once he got better. That isn't really a writing problem so much as it didn't walk that particular tightrope to me, so I can understand why games overcompensate.

(Cloud owns but Cloud's jerkass moments are almost instantly tempered by Tifa or Aerith making fun of him.)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kurohyou is still the one that fucks me up the most for this because tatsuya's a bit of a jackass at the start but also his intro is him specifically choosing to beat up loan sharks because he hates adults who strong arm and abuse other people for no reason. and it's an early 2010s yakuza game so tatsuya's arc of growing into responsibility and adulthood does not include "becoming less misogynist" lol. the only real way that game is able to pretend it has that arc is by pretending he might've broken a guy's legs once (he didn't)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think luke in abyss worked because while he was grating and annoying you could see parts of him still being a decent guy in there without it being overemphasized. like him freaking out when he actually kills a person instead of just a monster.

and clouds barely a jerk honestly, hes a bit standoffish and tryhard but he never goes out of his way to really antagonize anyone.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ImpAtom posted:

It's honestly a tough road to walk in general. First impressions tend to strongly color how people view a character and starting someone off as a jerk means that it is what people are most likely to remember especially because a lot of people like... don't finish games, especially long-rear end RPGs.

I'm guilty of it myself in that I respect what Tales of the Abyss did but I find Luke's initial presentation so grating and annoying that I had a hard time caring once he got better. That isn't really a writing problem so much as it didn't walk that particular tightrope to me, so I can understand why games overcompensate.

(Cloud owns but Cloud's jerkass moments are almost instantly tempered by Tifa or Aerith making fun of him.)

i mean if you're focusing on how "annoying" he is i guess but abyss also goes to great lengths to highlight positive traits luke has that nobody else does. abyss' execution of this arc is interesting because it's not strictly a "starts out bad, improves" arc it's a "has the right stuff in him but is critically failed by the people around him and unable to introspect, once he starts examining himself more on his own everyone else starts to feel bad for not really doing much for him"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

i think luke in abyss worked because while he was grating and annoying you could see parts of him still being a decent guy in there without it being overemphasized. like him freaking out when he actually kills a person instead of just a monster.

and clouds barely a jerk honestly, hes a bit standoffish and tryhard but he never goes out of his way to really antagonize anyone.

this is honestly just one way in which the remake's pacing is gonna change how people look at him a bit because there you have him and barret doing their back and forth for a much longer stretch of the game instead of for just like. the first eight hours lol. those guys chill out with each other right towards the end of midgar and it just so happens we spent an entire video game in midgar now

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there's always the TWEWY method of pairing up the dick with an even more magnificent dick later so he looks better by comparison

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

joshua 'show those 8 year olds who's boss' kiryu is an all timer

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Luke’s arc is also fairly unique in that when he first tries to improve he actually goes too far into a full-blown martyr complex, and it’s not until the third act that he approaches something like a happy medium

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I have to give TWEWY props in general for waiting until the postgame dungeon to explain why your protagonist starts off so misanthropic and hostile to everyone, it was a real bold choice.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Last Celebration posted:

I have to give TWEWY props in general for waiting until the postgame dungeon to explain why your protagonist starts off so misanthropic and hostile to everyone, it was a real bold choice.

I prefer when they do it in a supplemental manga that was never translated to English.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly the specifics of why nekus kind of a self-centered depressive dick arent really important, hes a teenaged boy.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yeah I can't even remember the reasons for Neku being the way he is, but I do remember his character growth during the main story in way that stuck with me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!

Endorph posted:

If anything I feel like Ryudo might be the opposite of that, he comes out the gate really rude, and then they struggle to sell his de-assholing.

If one of your first character-defining lines is 'I hate God and women' said directly to a priest, your story arc should probably be about being less awful about specifically those things. And outside of the early scenes warming to Elena (which were quite nice), it's just not, and there's no hint of that initial attitude after around when Mareg joins.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nobody expects the Granas Inquisition.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf given the setting he was right to hate god

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean to be fair roughly 90% of Ryudo's problems can be boiled down to God or Women and the other 10% are his quest to find his brother KYOOOOOJI Melfice.

(Side note: If you name your child Melfice you have set him up to be possessed by an evil god.)

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yeah I can't even remember the reasons for Neku being the way he is, but I do remember his character growth during the main story in way that stuck with me.

It only really gets expanded on in Another Day but iirc the big reason was that one day he was supposed to hang out with his best friend and said friend was killed on his way over, so he started to shut himself off from people.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I should replay Grandia 2. For the life of me I can't remember much of it despite beating it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vargatron posted:

I should replay Grandia 2. For the life of me I can't remember much of it despite beating it.

church bad

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Question: do the versions of the Trails in the Sky games on Steam have the orchestral soundtrack/other improvements that the Evolution versions on Vita have? I know the Vita versions are described as being "quite reworked" from the originals, so I'm wondering what the differences are.

I actually have Evo 1-3 on my Vita, but if the Steam versions are basically the same I don't mind buying them there just to play them on my Steam Deck.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

It only really gets expanded on in Another Day but iirc the big reason was that one day he was supposed to hang out with his best friend and said friend was killed on his way over, so he started to shut himself off from people.

Yeah, he was always kind of antisocial but that really made him draw into himself. I don’t think it’s super important either for the main story in and of itself, but it stands out as something where the devs wanted you to learn to like Neku because he was becoming a better, more open person throughout the game instead of getting “free” sympathy points, which again, legitimately bold choice.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Annath posted:

Question: do the versions of the Trails in the Sky games on Steam have the orchestral soundtrack/other improvements that the Evolution versions on Vita have? I know the Vita versions are described as being "quite reworked" from the originals, so I'm wondering what the differences are.

I actually have Evo 1-3 on my Vita, but if the Steam versions are basically the same I don't mind buying them there just to play them on my Steam Deck.

At least for Sky nah, the PC versions are just the base games with QOL and no new OST/full voice acting but last I checked the Evolution OST was largely seen as a sidegrade at best. You can listen to both on Spotify or Falcom’s own music YouTube channel, but most of the tracks I’ve heard from Evolution failed to impress me.

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Annath posted:

Not by default, but you can mod most of them in last I checked. The only thing AFAIK that you can't add properly is the animation for the character portraits. You can mod the Evo art in but it won't have animated mouth movements etc. I'm not a fan of the Evo art replacements so I just added the voice acting in while keeping everything else as-is & IMO it's the way to go, the voice acting is very good and adds a lot.

Here's a decent Steam guide on how to do it, it's not as intimidating as it looks & also gives some visual comparisons for the art if you want to see: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2799479886

Blankspace fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 16, 2024

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Annath posted:

I actually kinda prefer the old character portraits, the art style in Crossbell threw me off because the dialogue portraits are the same as the Evo ones. Also there is a turbo button on the steam versions that idk maybe that was in the EVO versions but is essential to my experience with all Trails games.

Edit: Apparently Evo’s turbo is battle only, the steam version you can blaze through the game.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the evolution remixes are bad. there are mods to insert the voice acting from evo if you want that, there are some better remix albums people have modded replacers for if you want to use them in the game but you really shouldn't, the original games have cutscenes timed for the original tracks and if they want to bring back an old song for dramatic effect they'll occasionally use those remix versions in a later game