Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Runa posted:

good dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Crystar is like, ah..the story is interesting and the gameplay is okay but never quite evolves? it's alright on the cheap, definitely a better furyu product. I bought Tokyo Xanadu EX at the same time and liked Crystar a lot more

Crymachina is probably better though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rinkles posted:

Never heard of this, but looks intriguing. Anyone play Crystar?

Yeah, I'd put it on a similar level to the original Caligula Effect, interesting ideas bolted to a pretty shaky framework. The basic systems aren't quite as bad as that game but the story and characters are quite as interesting either.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

I remembered fruit picking, monster raising and crafting in Legend of Mana but had completely forgotten about the whole create a Golem system lol

Anyone know how the remaster runs on Windows these days?

There are reviews from 2021 complaining of really poor optimization.

I've never played it, so it'd be interesting to check it out, but not if it runs like crap.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
crystar's main claim to fame is being written by an old KEY guy, the kanon writer who wasn't jun maeda. so i'd assume its main appeal is for old school vn heads who want to see what that guy makes out of a magical girl rpg lol

Annath posted:

Anyone know how the remaster runs on Windows these days?

There are reviews from 2021 complaining of really poor optimization.

I've never played it, so it'd be interesting to check it out, but not if it runs like crap.

tbh if you're on pc i would just say to emulate it on duckstation. but i don't like how the remaster looks, the high res backgrounds clash with the pixelated sprites

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Eiyuden Chronicles steam keys are out for backers and is playable early. Steam code redemption says the key is "for beta testing", but it's the full game. 24GB

https://yeteeproductions.com/account

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gyoru posted:

Eiyuden Chronicles steam keys are out for backers and is playable early. Steam code redemption says the key is "for beta testing", but it's the full game. 24GB

Looks like PS5 code too.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Gyoru posted:

The devs said to wait for the day 1 patch because of major bugs, tho, didn't they?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Crowetron posted:

The devs said to wait for the day 1 patch because of major bugs, tho, didn't they?

https://twitter.com/eiyuden/status/1778627275849883800

"We have two important announcement to Backers:

[Announcement 1]
We have now started shipping physical version of Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes from regions that are ready. Some backers have already received their physical versions of the game, but we are working on an additional patch for the 72 hour pre-backer Early Access to fix newly found issues and to improve the game based on feedback from the Closed Beta. In some cases, bugs may remain in your save data and prevent you from completing the game, so we kindly ask you to wait to play the game until the additional patch has been applied.

[Announcement 2]
For backers who have selected the physical version of the game, if you have not registered "shipping address" & "shipping method" we cannot start the delivery process for you. Please log in to the Yetee Store and complete the necessary registration as soon as possible."

Not sure if this applies to the steam/ps5 digital versions or just the physical versions

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
excited to play the game in 3 months or so...
because i have to play saga emerald first!!
both are going to be GOAT'd, i feel it in my bones...

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

There are so many good RPGs that have come out recently and I'm so behind because DQXI is taking me ten billion years

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The lighting in EC: Hundred Heroes looks better than it did in the playtest going off my memory. Stronger AO in battle scenes too

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

already pre-ordered emerald beyond from gmg, will play eiyuden on gamep rear end and then buy it for real on discount eventually!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Snooze Cruise posted:

Same!!!! Except I will be playing eiyuden first :twisted:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

fridge corn posted:

Same!!!! Except I will be playing eiyuden first :twisted:

I HOPE YOU BURN IN HELL

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Don't sleep on the Kingdom Come II announcement. Holy moly they went all out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R48DEEjyS5k

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Will this upcoming "Suikoden III" (the scenario writer left after the first two) be full of esoteric, missable bullshit to keep with tradition?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Will this upcoming "Suikoden III" (the scenario writer left after the first two) be full of esoteric, missable bullshit to keep with tradition?
the suikoden series was created by two people, yoshitaka murayama and junko kanno. murayama worked on 1, 2, and 3. kanno worked on 1, 2, 4, and 5.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I'm still playing Unicorn Overlord.

I keep getting cool new characters but being too lazy to bench existing people who are already in parties that kind of work.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Nobody Interesting posted:

Don't sleep on the Kingdom Come II announcement. Holy moly they went all out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R48DEEjyS5k

Hell yeah. It'll be released this year too (hopefully).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Never heard of this, but looks intriguing. Anyone play Crystar?

it demands 3-4x as much playtime grinding as playing the main game.

It's kind of a cool concept and I got nearly to the "first" ending before I just couldn't tolerate it any more. The combat is extremely repetitive and the overall playstyle feels like something that was a planned mobile game they got too ambitious with.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Vargatron posted:

Hell yeah. It'll be released this year too (hopefully).

I expect it to be broken as gently caress on release as is tradition but after that announcement production I kinda don't care.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

how was the first one?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Joey McChrist posted:

how was the first one?

I didn't play it on release so can't speak to that. I started and finished it a few months ago and I loved it. They nail the zero-to-hero thing both in terms of narrative and gameplay, and the fact that it's historical-ish makes it a very nice departure from typical magic and monsters fantasy poo poo. Even small details like game killed on the King's land counting as "Stolen" are delightful.

The jank is very present and some mods are essential (not many - I had like 5, mostly interface-based), and I know the 'realism' bogs down the gameplay too much for some but I enjoyed that it meant steamrolling wasn't an option - it's stupid to walk in the woods at night in medieval Europe. Altogether just very good and if they really can deliver on improvements to it in the sequel I will be utterly delighted.

I have not been excited like this for a video game release for a long time.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't recall anyone defending the asinine save system from that game. It''s a good thing open-world games made in Cryengine aren't liable to crash.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

OH YEAH I actually managed to forget about that. It's...not the best. I think on a replay I would simply use a cheat mod to save anywhere, because it is poo.

Saving is limited by an in-game item called Saviour Schnapps, which also happens to be alcoholic. Drinking alcohol makes you drunk. So it's a save-scumming protection in two ways: 1) you need the brew 2) you are now drunk, and the thing you're scumming for (a pickpocket maybe?) is now harder to do.

The game also saves at certain story beats and when you sleep.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is this the game where it only has white people in it because the creator is racist?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jesus Christ be praised it looks great. I do wonder how they're going to do the story given their goal to make it larger in scope considering who wins to conflict and what happens to Kobyla

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Wait, it's a sequel that uses the same subtitle and just appends a "II" to the name. It should be "Kingdom Come: Electric Boogaloo" or something.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

is this the game where it only has white people in it because the creator is racist?

I don't know much about the creator's views, but there are only white characters. I don't really know what to think of that - easy to handwave and be like "nah there's no PoC in medieval Europe" but that is...probably not true.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Video games don't do subtitles until the third game at least.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

This is the only thing I care about at all in game news. That's how good the first game was. 120 hours in and I'm still not finished. Time to actually stop loving around and get to the end I guess.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

mycot posted:

Video games don't do subtitles until the third game at least.

Something Awful: Origins

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wait, it's a sequel that uses the same subtitle and just appends a "II" to the name. It should be "Kingdom Come: Electric Boogaloo" or something.

I think you shouldn’t be allowed to have a subtitle on the first entry in a series in general. by law

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I don't recall anyone defending the asinine save system from that game. It''s a good thing open-world games made in Cryengine aren't liable to crash.

It becomes less of an issue once you learn alchemy because the herb requirements are pretty easy and you get 3 save potions per brew.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

I don't know much about the creator's views, but there are only white characters. I don't really know what to think of that - easy to handwave and be like "nah there's no PoC in medieval Europe" but that is...probably not true.

I think his statement was something like "this game takes place in a few square miles in eastern Europe, there legit wouldn't be any POC around.

Make of that what you will.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Owl Inspector posted:

I think you shouldn’t be allowed to have a subtitle on the first entry in a series in general. by law

Tell that to Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins. There was no sequel.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I wonder if it'll let me transfer my 20/20 stats for everything and 300,000 gold and full inventory from my current save into the new game, or if I need to spend another 20 hours picking flowers before the intro-cutscene again just to afford a dagger so I can go around knifing people for slightly better daggers.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Annath posted:

I think his statement was something like "this game takes place in a few square miles in eastern Europe, there legit wouldn't be any POC around.

Make of that what you will.

It's my guess (or at least my hope) that they actually just....didn't think about it all that much and when challenged on it that's what they come up with. I don't really know how reasonable it is to suggest that such an area would be so homogenously white, even lacking Iberian visitors? It's something worth being conscious of in all media for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I have no value judgement on the game itself but the lead dev is a huge reactionary freak. I think it might have been historically accurate for the specific stretch of land he chose to only be white people but he's sure made it impossible to defend him over the years.