Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Speaking of which the backstory to Megaton Musashi is absurdly dark.

99.9% of humanity was brutally murdered and the planet was literally cored out, and the surviving humans all live in a fake town in a space station with their memories erased because they were so horrifyingly traumatized that erasing their memories and letting them live in the town was the only way any of them could continue to function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What game channels Cromartie, where everyone looks like a hardened badass, but in reality the entire cast is completely inept and rock-stupid except for the robot.

That is 100% Yakuza

kirbysuperstar posted:

fond memories of all the people on something awful playing persona 4 and going "i don't like anime but persona is good, it's not that anime"

My favorite was when people were insisting Xenoblade wasn't anime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The funniest thing about Infinite Space is that like one relatively minor choice in part 1 absolutely changes a huge loving chunk of part 2.

I said come in! posted:

I am the depraved weirdo that likes Forspoken. I think people were extremely unfair to this game, and I enjoyed it a lot.

I'm not big on Forespoken but it absolutely got ragged on hard for things other games in the same time frame got a pass for. (LOOKING AT YOU ATOMIC HEART.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Are you playing the game or did you just watch the first episode of the anime? (I wanna know what the game is like).

I haven't had a ton of time to devote to it due to some horrible poo poo in my personal life, but what I've played so far seems fun. It's an action-RPG with a ton of customization options but the basic gameplay feels pretty smooth and good. I'm not really sure how it will advance or get more complex but it feels like a kind of arcadey single player Gundam Vs style game.

My biggest complaint, and biggest concern, is that it is super bluntly a F2P-style experience adjusted to be a single player experience. The interface is flat out of F2P games, it has daily log ins, there's a shitload of DLC on day 1 even beyond the deluxe edition they were selling, it has the annoying various kinds of currency thing, etc. The game (again, only as far as I am) seems well adjusted enough that it doesn't feel like it is limiting me, it kind of reminds me of the Mega Man X Dive Offline thing.

I really am not in a situation I'd recommending it yet, it's going to depend a lot on how it scales.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am pretty forgiving of Emerald Beyond because it clearly has a budget of $25 and some string they found and a mandate to make it work on everything from consoles to mobile phones.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

saw some reviews of the gameplay loops and it does seem mobile game-like
guess i wait for it to hit bargain bin, seems like a candidate for a $20 game on black friday

The gameplay loop is pretty similar to other SaGa games, it's not really 'more mobile' or anything

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tequila Bob posted:

TBH I'm actually surprised Emerald Beyond isn't being released on mobile, since the technically similar Scarlet Grace was on mobile and worked very well there. The touch interface was good.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.SaGaEmeraldBeyondw&hl=en&gl=US It is? That's why I even brought up mobile.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, was that the source of the loving insane "a finger near another finger is secretly small penis mockery" thing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

How is that game? It looks neat but I'm a bit confused by some of the Steam reviews which say it's 90% text 10% battles. Which like, I guess is fine but I'm curious how true that is.

ImpAtom posted:

I haven't had a ton of time to devote to it due to some horrible poo poo in my personal life, but what I've played so far seems fun. It's an action-RPG with a ton of customization options but the basic gameplay feels pretty smooth and good. I'm not really sure how it will advance or get more complex but it feels like a kind of arcadey single player Gundam Vs style game.

My biggest complaint, and biggest concern, is that it is super bluntly a F2P-style experience adjusted to be a single player experience. The interface is flat out of F2P games, it has daily log ins, there's a shitload of DLC on day 1 even beyond the deluxe edition they were selling, it has the annoying various kinds of currency thing, etc. The game (again, only as far as I am) seems well adjusted enough that it doesn't feel like it is limiting me, it kind of reminds me of the Mega Man X Dive Offline thing.

I really am not in a situation I'd recommending it yet, it's going to depend a lot on how it scales.

(Not trying to be passive aggressive, just it got lost among the rest of the conversation.) It is a loooooot of talking so far but you unlock repeatable sidequests and stuff to do also.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh, lol Thanks. yeah somehow missed that post. Very interesting that it's setup like a mobile game for some reason.

My understanding is that Megaton Musashi was a stand-alone, then they rereleased it as Megaton Musashi X which was a FTP game with a for-pay DLC story mode, and now Megaton Musashi W is a single player release containing the content from the FTP (including the mecha crossover stuff) with the story mode baked in. I might be wrong about the specifics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I file project moon’s stuff with the secret world and fallen london as games I like to read about but will never ever play. great concepts, can’t handle the execution

Is there any good place to read about Fallen London? I've genuinely been curious about it since the most I heard was from ads on podcasts but I can't imagine I'd enjoy the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Is the localization readable at least, if there is supposedly that much dialogue?

Seems fine as far as I am. The only thing that stands out is that it has a surprising amount of foul language. Not like anything worse than a character going "I wrecked your poo poo" but a bit more than I expect from a Level 5 thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

67 and still making love posted:

Can someone help me out here, this is like the first circuit board puzzle in the game and it seems to be completely impossible

Can you turn any block?

If so turn the block one down and one right from the red dot and then one right and one down from the topmost blue router. (If I'm understanding the mechanics right and you're trying to link the two red dots.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Starting EIyuden Chronicles, hows the difficulty? Is hard mode just bigger numbers?

It's different, it changes up the moves bosses have and such, but some people seem to have a really hard time with it so it may not be great for a first playthrough

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus Christ. One of the characters in Megaton Musashi is a robot. Which might sound fine except it was revealed that he was a 'service robot' built explicitly to be bullied and beaten up as a method of stress relief for society because apparently it was easier to create an Omelas robot than to tell schoolchild not to beat a child so badly his arms break?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Willo567 posted:

So is the game good?

Ehhh... so far I wouldn't recommend.

A) The plot genuinely feels like a cliff notes version of a story. It has events but there's not really a lot of context between them, scenes happen entirely offscreen, there are anime scenes randomly inserted for no clear reason.

B) This also contributes to the plot, where almost every major battle I've done so far has involved what in *story* is some kind of major scene but in gameplay has absolutely no change or impact on anything. Like one mech is supposed to involve two rivals piloting a machine together Dendoh-style but it doesn't play any different and when it claims they're doing a special unique kind of movement it just is in text. This also applies to things like "This enemy is too hard to damage, we need to use a special move/unlock a new weapon/etc" where the enemy is the same as anything else but their health bar stops at (x)% so they can do a cutscene or unlock a new move.

C) The combat is absurdly simply disguising itself as complexity. You equip the weapon that the enemy is weak to and button mash, occasionally peppering in special moves. As far as I am that is it. That's all you do. The bosses all die hilariously quickly.

D) The mech building mechanics are at once too simple and too complex. The mech building is just "Arms + Body + Legs" and aside from visual differences a stats there's no real difference between them. The exception is the cameo robots like Mazinger where you need to use all of the parts in order to have access to their special moves. There's a pretty small selection of weapons and it takes a while before they even get any real significant differences at all.

On the other hand there's like five or six different types of incrimental upgrades, each with their own currencies, most of which feel kind of crap, poo poo like "5% more fire damage" or "Recover .02% TP while guarding" and stuff. There's a whole circuit thing where you have to unlock skills via giant tree and them make a motherboard based on specific sizes and it all feels loving pointless. Maybe this picks up later but I've played the game for hours and nothing seems to have changed.

There's also just a lot of annoying things. There's a transmog system but it is extremely limited and requires a resource. There's unit painting but only specific colors (which is more limited for the 'less important' main units) and you have to go and buy paint and then go and pay more money to paint the robot as opposed to just... being able to change the color.

Maybe it's unfair but I can't help compare it to Gundam Breaker 3 which has similar systems in places but everything feels more in-depth, where different arms give different skills, the incremental upgrades are just tied to parts and are trivially swapped around, weapons feel unique and distinctive, and in general Megaton Musashi feels like We Have Gundam Breaker At Home, which isn't a thought you want to have with a Gundam Breaker 4 already announced.

E) There's a lot of poo poo locked behind DLC. Most of it is merely cosmetic but the lovely kind of cosmetic, like you need to pay for-real money for different victory poses. (Which only occur at the end of the stage.) This isn't a big problem but it really stands out when you're trying to customize and you have extremely few options.

Overall I feel like I'm kind of struggling to push myself forward, which I feel is incredibly damning because I have a loving astronomical tolerance for lovely robot games. And to be honest the only thing pushing me forward here is that I can have a team of Mazinger, Getter Robo and Combattler V. (Well, sort of. The proportions for the robots are weird because they have to fit on the Megaton Musashi skeleton, but whatever.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 28, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My favorite dungeons in games are honestly either Lufia 2 or the Wild Arms games, but in both cases that is because they are effectively Zelda dungeons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is an episode of the Zone of the Enders anime which is completely inexplicably almost a shot-for-shot recreation of Die Hard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

honestly Dolores is tied with Fist of Mars as my favourite anything about ZOE

Dolores is probably my favorite 'bad' anime. Like it has a lot of flaws and a budget of about 50 cents but I love it a ton.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

bioshock already does have way less going on than system shock with its budget though. it sets itself apart from system shock but the ways it sets itself apart are mostly in having nothing going on gameplay wise that would make it fun to go back to anymore

This is both true and playing Atomic Heart made me appreciate how much Bioshock actually did have going on with its gameplay when compared to that game. At least in Bioshock if you electrify a pool of water people get actually electrified.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

comparing bioshock to a bad game doesn't make bioshock good!

Oh, I know, I'm just saying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hey now, comparing anyone to Max Landis is a low blow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Danger posted:

Should I play Unicorn Overlord or Eiyuden first. I've already bought both of them.

SaGa: Emerald Beyond.

(Start with UO, will give you time for Eiyuden to get patches for the stuff that seems to be bugging people.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sandland the game at least changes things up significantly from the manga. It introduces a Bulma-like character who is there from basically the start and pretty notably changes the dynamic of the cast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The article specifically discusses that they want to outsource fewer games and focus on their in-house development studios for console games.

That is pretty unabashedly about stuff like Foamstars, not FF7R. "We're outsourcing less because FF7R underperformed" makes no sense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It also has a mobile game which appears at least moderately successful.

Honestly if I had to guess what significant things are likely to get backburnered:
Tri-Ace stuff (Star Ocean, Valkyrie, etc) are probably close to the cutting block if not on it. At very least I expect them to go smaller like the remake rather than another big console one.
Dragon Quest isn't going anywhere but I think they may be more selective with stuff like Treasure/Infinite Strash/etc
I feel like stuff like Harvestella or Diofield is probably going to fall into a grey zone where it's low budget enough to have a chance but I imagine it's a slim one. More proven successes like Octopath or even Triangle Strategy are probably at least somewhat safe.

Honestly the biggest takeaway from this is probably that Tri-Ace is going to have a rough time considering they were already hemorrhaging money before Divine Force came out and it looks like they were barely involved with the SO2R.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 30, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

who are the two separate characters being referred to as the bully and the homophobe here

Maybe they mean Chie? I've seen people refer to her as a bully relatively often.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bussamove posted:

Beyond like, Final Fantasy Legend I’ve never actually played a SaGa game and really feel like I should so I can get another taste of that particular kind of jank. How good of a jumping in point is Emerald Beyond?

Emerald Beyond is probably the best jumping on point you'd get for SaGa as a whole.

Edit: Excuse me, I mean if you want a REAL SaGa experience you need to play the gatcha game!!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

I know Valkyrie Profile's script is one of those that's become enshrined in memes but I think it'd be interesting if it was enough of a remake to get a fresh translation.

Honestly I'm not entirely sure it is the script so much as the voice acting. Say what you want but Maddie Blaustein voiced the fuuuuuuck out of Lezard/Arngrim.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Star Ocean 2R gave Tri-Ace a bit of a lifeline. It reportedly didn’t do too badly and it even got post-launch support and I can’t even remember the last time that happened for one of these smaller SE games.

Yeah we’re probably not getting something like Divine Force or Elysium, but I agree with Endorph that a 2.5HD Valkyrie Profile is something that is a lot more possible now

Tri-Ace actually didn't work much on Star Ocean 2R from what I can find. It was mostly Gemdrops, Inc. Almost everything I can find of Tri-Ace is tied to the original version of the game.

It looks like Gemdrops is made up of some former Tri-Ace staffers but also people from Tokyo RPG Factory (a lot of the same people worked on I Am Setsuna and FFXV Pocket Edition.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like this one screenshot is 95% of what people know about Foamstars.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

Well poo poo, then if Tri-Ace’s last titles were Divine Force and Elysium (wait, were they even involved with this one)… well… yeah the next few years are probably going to be rough

For Gemdrops, I was quite pleased with SO2R and hope they get more work and opportunities

Yeaaaah, about that.

Valkyrie Elysium was Soleil whose last big game was... Wanted: Dead. The Divine Force was the last game Tri-Ace worked on that wasn't mobile stuff I think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i recommend wanted dead to anyone who wanted an answer to the question of, what if the people who made devil's third booted itagaki out of the studio and tried to make a version of devil's third that's kind of fun. the answer is a game that's still like kinda rough but you can see what they're going for and sometimes it actually works well

my man your words are making less sense with every sentence

Wanted: Dead is a game I desperately wanted to like but it is so close to being a good game that it's almost frustrating. I'm glad it exists though, it is weird as poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

Holy gently caress Itagaki

Has that guy even done anything of note after Devil’s Third

He apparently advised on the Samurai Jack game that Soliel made.

(Spoiler: It was an insanely forgettable game.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

have you played it post-combat patch? that's the only version i'm familiar with and i had fun with it. i can imagine the late game being much more maddening if the combat balance was more brutal before, it's forgiving enough to just squeeze through some of the more annoying bullshit now

Yeah, I played at launch. I should give it another go sometime when I can actually make spare time, if just because them actually giving it support makes me want to give it a fair second shot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

frankly foamstars is like. idk how to say this without it sounding weird but the only reason i can think of to choose foam is if you wanna get a little sexy with it? like hunky dudes and sexy babes in swimsuits covered in foam or w/e. idk. thats the only aesthetic thing my mind associates with foam. like how splatoon uses the brightly colored ink paint to go all in on a grafitti, punk, urban youth kind of aesthetic. but foamstar's designs were just really generic. so it feels like foam was just picked because its also vaguely water themed and no other reason.

I can see where you're coming from but I think they just were genuinely trying to find something that is close to but not the same as paint in terms of 'spreading around.' Like something you can shoot out and it remains present and can cover stuff. It's kind of a cliche image someone being absolutely covered with foam. They probably could have hit the same mark with snow or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

They could have done something like uh, silly string i guess? I mean it also has the whole "this has dimensions" thing they were doing with the foam. I guess you can't really swim through silly string.

I mean to be fair you can't swim through paint either. You could do like... I don't know, travelling along the silly string like an electricity wire.

But honestly at the end of the day if you're going to come at Nintendo you better than something more than Focus Tested To Oblivion.

Endorph posted:

i guess the idea is that you can stand on it but... i dont really associate foam as something solid i can stand on?

I admit I do but it's more from something like this:

Quick-hardening foam stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

I detest it but I think they should have gone with slime. Just a less weird choice imo.

I choose to believe someone at Nick has a lawyer on retainer to just break someone's knees if they ever try to use slime in a goofy kid-friendly way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

a sweets themed shooter in general? youre shooting like frosting/icing

Your melee weapon can be like a candy cane or giant lollypop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

would Babylons fall have been saved with a cake aesthetic

I mean it saved Nier Automata.