Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Raxivace posted:

The person that created the virus too was a ten year old kid that was given the death penalty for creating it.

The President of the United States also resigned from office due the to the spread of the virus, though frankly these days that might be worth sacrificing the entire internet.

Sounds like a win-win, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Stelas posted:

IIRC there are a couple of classes of collectibles, but the only one that's missable as far as I remember are the things you feed to Fina's weapon to make it level up. Even then, only a couple are missable and you should be able to get by without them just fine.

Those actually aren't missable. I believe the only relevant missable content is a secret boss fight if you get the best title, because one of the requirements is to open almost all treasure chests, some of which can be missed.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Are status effects useful in Skies of Arcadia? From my limited experience so far, I'm tending towards no. Seems like anything that you would want to use a status on is going to be immune to it, in classic JRPG fashion.

If it isn't Pirate's Wrath, Delta Shield or Justice Shield then it's useless. Skies of Arcadia is one of my favorite JRPGs but the combat is very poorly balanced.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Durance is fun because his story ends with him realizing that he's the most owned man in the world.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

For contrast in Pokemon you can beat the final boss by having the one pokemon spam the same move over and over again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxcFhOzJ9aE

That's not the final boss. Not that anyone has ever criticized Pokemon for being too hard.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Flash may be long gone but Zubats are forever.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Jazerus posted:

3.5/pathfinder combat sucks at low levels (without a DM that lets you do something creative instead of just smacking things for 1d4 damage over and over), is pretty fun at mid-levels (imo), and sucks at high levels. so yeah for awhile the combats will boil down to hitting things with pointy sticks but since spellcaster power grows quadratically in any 3.5-derived system the fighter types will become less and less relevant over time. that's a bad dynamic for tabletop but you might like the system better once your wizards are miniature gods since you get to control the whole party.

idk about the tabletop stuff but in the kingmaker game my ranger and thief were like 95% of my damage at the end of the game

felt like my wizard was practically useless

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Thuryl posted:

Yeah, in hindsight Bravely Default 1 is kind of weird about how it reveals its plot. The Anticrystalists turn out to be correct about basically everything, but they sent a constant stream of the absolute worst people on earth to stop you for the first half of the game without ever actually explaining themselves, so you had no reason to listen to them.

The fact that the real ending requires you to not realize you're being tricked is also weird.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

mycot posted:

I'm surprised everyone is bugging out about the Pokemon post I thought everyone has a save file with a level 99 starter at least once (even if this is more likely to happen when you're, like, five)

The max level in Pokemon is 100, you fraud!

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

sometimes i just want to zone out and grind a little

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

iirc ffx-2 doesnt let you get the secret ending if you skip any cutscenes

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i like a good cinematic unlosable boss. it's a guilty pleasure.

using the tested "demi boss is the hardest boss" or "final boss has a mostly cinematic final form" formula

demi boss???

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

the only good thing about suikoden 4 is there's an upgrade you get that makes you run faster and the sped-up animation is very funny

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

this, basically

it's a legit issue that the ending where you understand the game is the "normal" ending and the one where you don't understand it is the "true" ending

yeah this is truly baffling

the loving game is even named after this idea!!!

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

I have a vague recollection of your party members being completely useless towards the end of Radiata Stories. They would just die immediately in every boss fight and you'd have to solo it every time.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Managing your slate of personas for just one character is already more than a lot of players want to deal with. Requiring you to do it for every character would be insane.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

The Colonel posted:

persona 3 was a lot of experimentation and ideas that didn't really work out in execution, for one reason or another. some of it's because it was a first stab, other reasons are just cause the writing around s links kinda sucked and were really two dimensional. i've seen people read persona 3 as a game purposefully about artificial relationships and manipulation, but i don't think it's really even going for that, it just kind of hits that as a consequence of how hollow and nonsensical a lot of the smaller stories within it are and how shallow your ability to interact with certain characters is. ultimately it's just kind of a bummer that instead of developing on some of the more interesting concepts of it the sequels mostly just sanded things down into something even simpler, which is why i can't really blame p3p for even doing the same. it at least had better character writing, which is the one thing s links desperately need and, mostly don't have

The funniest thing about Persona 3 is that only the female party members had social links.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Endorph posted:

its not hard to see how much p5 was constantly rewritten and inconsistent even ignoring the japanese. the two separate beach trips, the trip to hawaii that emits a reality altering force field where everyone forgets that mishima is in on the phantom thieves, etc.

what, you're not allowed to go to a beach twice??

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

loquacius posted:

Sometimes, Palaces have towns near them. Sometimes, the real IRL police can all go into a Palace. It's all very internally consistent

yeah

but also who cares

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

persona 5 is pretty good actually

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

a worst game list is a pretty pointless endeavor since it would be 99% shovelware games

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

the worst game ever made is your favorite game :evilbuddy:

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

I beat Yakuza 6 pretty recently and I'm sorta baffled that people actually thought Kiryu was going away based on the ending.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

God, I'm so disappointed that Kiryu's story didn't end with him spending the rest of his life in hiding because a politician scared him.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

The Colonel posted:

its not klonoa. it's kuronora. or klonola.

it says klonoa right on the cover dumbass

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

If an RPG is completely linear without you having any say in how powerful you are, it feels less like a combat system and more like a puzzle game to me.

Zokari fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 11, 2022

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

RTWP is basically just a single-player RTS. I don't get why people act like it's some incomprehensible thing.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

There are RPGs with full-on action game combat. A game doesn't need to have turn-based combat to be an RPG.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

a 6-hour probation? this is an absolute injustice

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i remember playing harvest moon 64 for like 15 in-game years and randomly encountering a rival spouse event

suddenly seeing a new thing after like 10 years of nothing was really shocking

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

it was also a bold decision to set every dungeon in the same cave

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

also the days last like 5 hours and youll run out of stuff do in about 5 minutes

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Weak!

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

oh goodness wouldn't want to do something lame

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

personally i've never even heard of harry potter

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

whenever i hear the words harry potter it just sounds like a loud buzz and i go "what? did someone say something???"

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Prowler posted:

After a few months my muscle memory has adjusted to different contexts meaning different buttons regardless of the controller, so it only takes a few moments--if any--to adjust going from the Switch to playing games on Steam using the same controller.

Except for the times where a game like Persona 5 Royal will detect that I'm using a Switch controller and flip the assignment while still using the Xbox controller button labels. Even if my mind wanted to adjust, the button labels toss another wrench into it.

Freaking Nintendo.

hey, blame everyone else for switching, nintendo is just doing what they always did

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

The Colonel posted:

remember when oblivion got its rating changed from t to m, because someone found out there were texture files for nipples in it. not even like. detailed ones. and not ones you're ever going to be able to see in regular gameplay. just insanely low detail nipple textures.

that game also had like decapitated bodies and stuff though

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

every game i like is a masterpiece and if you don't like it you're a dumb idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

kingdom hearts 3 was so awful