Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

Not our fault the entire genre went to poo poo years ago.

And one game redeems everything called Xenoblade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Gonna rep that Blue Dragon. Classic RPG with some good improvements albeit slow combat fps. Shoulda been released on the PC

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zereth posted:

So, I felt like actually starting up Last Remnant becuase I downloaded it on steam a while ago after buying it during some sale a longer while ago.

Does this seriously not let me use the loving mouse in menus or have an option to turn on subtitles. :staredog:

I don't even bother using the keyboard/mouse.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tae posted:

It's basically KOTOR with more action-clicking than automatic combat.

It's actually more like DA2 than KOTOR, as a fan of KOTOR.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Gyoru posted:

They might be redubbing the European VO with American VO. That would probably mean no more "What a bunch of jokers" / "Reyn time" :(

Reyn becomes ahnold, shulk becomes that lead character from transformers, fiora becomes giddy anime girl with too high pitched of a voice, jennifer hale voices sharla, liam o'brian voices alvis, etc

:suicide:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If I had a million dollars I'd buy 20,000 copies :v:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

you've got to release it at a time frame when its potential audience is likely looking for something to do.

Yeah like, back in august with the PAL version.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there any rpgs like Avadon or Eschalon on PC?

I played a bit of eschalon and it's okay, but meh. Avadon is loving amazing, but I'm thinking of something a little less story involved and more combat.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

What Stelas said, also there is so much crap thrown in your way to throw you off the plot in 1 and 2 (not much of it fun), and 3 has a pretty complete recap of both.

So, uh, just get 3.

Agreeing with this, as an actual fan of the Xenosaga series, just get the third game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there any recent game like Ogre Battle 64?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

iastudent posted:

Picked up an extra PSN wallet card for Unchained Blades. Now someone over at Sony or XSEED hurry up and tell me if I'm gonna be able to play this on Vita or not. :argh:

I'm only a little ways in (past the first boss), but whether or not you'd find Pier Solar to your liking is very contingent on how nostalgic you are for 16-bit RPGs.

Also:

Can you play this on an emulator? I don't have a genesis anymore.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oh my god Star Ocean: Till The End of Time is awful.

The dialogue, the graphics that aren't CG, the animations, the plot, eugh

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Hey, at least it's not Star Ocean 4. ....:smith:

Oddly enough, I liked SO4 more than this, but I haven't finished SO4. I forget where I am but it's more than half, I think.

However in playing this, it's obvious they didn't learn anything at all for SO4 from this game.

"Oh you have 20 items already? you aren't using enough of the items/you're too rich, best put this thing back"... What NO! Regardless of the fact it's only 20 items.

The battles are loving boring though, I kind of want to see what happens in a "this is a horrible trainwreck" sort of way.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

a medical mystery posted:

The gameplay can be frustrating and overly frantic at times but it's very unique and getting into the rythm and flow can be highly addictive. The story is pretty bad anime stuff but never nauseatingly so.

I'm not good at rhythm and flow, so I'd only end up playing for the story. However you say the story is awful and I think it looks aesthetically lovely so I don't think I'll ever touch the game.

Now for DS rpg games, Infinite Space is fan loving tastic.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If I want to play some PS2 rpgs that perhaps weren't very popular, which ones are the best ones of that lot?

Bold: not popular. I'm thinking Rogue Galaxy or less.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wendell posted:

This is really nonspecific so please don't scream at me if this series is too popular, but Shadow Hearts 2 is off the chain.

Not sure why I'd scream at you, mostly I've tried the xenosagas and final fantasies and dragon quests and such, and was looking for maybe something not nearly as popular but still enjoyable. I'll give these a look.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Only Episode 2 was ever released in EU territories, it came with a DVD of the cut-scenes for the first game. No-one bought it because we didn't get the first game, so they never bothered with the third game.

We didn't get Tales of the Abyss, either. :(

As a fan of Xenosaga, 2 is bad. 2 is basically "well we didn't release the first in EU, and we gotta SPICE THINGS UP, so lets make it have a lovely combat system. Oh wait what do you mean it's so awful we've alienated existing fans!"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Agnostalgia posted:

I bought Unlimited Saga for three bucks a few years back. I was swindled.

I thought this, but replace Unlimited Saga with Magna Carta. God that made me mad. Then they actually made a second game!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there an english patch for growlanser 1 or the Langrisser series?

Also there seems to be an english patch for Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix+?

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 25, 2013

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is shadow hearts any good?

I'm playing through Rogue Galaxy right now, holy drat this is good.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oh my god there's pokemon too, this is bad. Very bad.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Should I play the PS1 game that serves as a semi prequel to SH1?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I'm playing rogue galaxy and right now all the enemies are super hard.

I'm In the prison level and my highest level character is 17. 12, 17, 11, 11, 13, 13

Enemies are only giving 1xp per battle, so I can't exactly level up faster unless I want to grind, A LOT.

For whatever reason, when I see a creature for the first time, I get like massive amounts of xp at once, then it peters off to 1. Is this normal? Is this the level I should be at?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

You weren't kidding about Rogue Galaxy towards the end overstaying its welcome. I just finished the Labyrinth and the last three dungeons felt like they made them intentionally long to pad some game time. Mix this with the horribly implemented xp scaling, and the fact the levels themselves look very cut/paste with minor color changes and you've got a recipe for my favorite saying "I really don't loving care!" as I'm escaping from pretty much every fight because past the first few new fights fights because I no longer get xp (1-10 xp is meaningless when you have 20k to level up).

Add to that I have a few minor issues, such as having to set up power cords individually in the factory, the fact it doesn't have better controls (having to go into a menu to change operating types is not cool), placing materials should auto lockon to the materials tables only, the fact there simply isn't enough bagspace for everything, especially if you carry around mats with you so you don't have to dig into storage for that 1 item you need to increase the skills of your character, how you don't get to choose your characters till like chapter 5 of 13 resulting in you having like 8 characters 3 of which you only ever really use. Or how about enemies chain knocking you down for hundreds of damage a hit? That's a thing. Oh you got hit twice, well I hope you have revives! Nevermind if it's an AI that keeps doing stupid things and you can't do anything about it.

I'm not done yet, but ugh.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I liked rogue galaxy up until a point, until it very obviously was trying to pad game time. Even the Ghost Ship was a mild diversion built around the same padding.

And what's the point of completing some of the segments of the game simply to get say a 314+ shoe that requires you to not only do the post-game dungeon, but the postgame dungeon+ (which is 100 random levels), when I can make my own shoe at endgame that is also 314+ attack power?

Then, to get a costume, you have to beat the 100 level dungeon TWICE.

Then, for a new game plus, all that transfers over is unlocked costumes. :\ But after all that effort, why would I ever replay the game?

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 12, 2013

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If I want to start on the Atelier series, do I have to play in order? Is there any ones I should avoid?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Stelas posted:

Assuming you mean the PS3 games, the order goes Rorona -> Totori -> Meruru, with Ayesha being a separate 'arc'. That said, you can safely skip Rorona, which is a little too simplistic, and jump straight into Totori, which is the best of the lot.

I could play the ps2 ones as well, if they're not crappy.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What about these Ar Tonelico? Aren't those also the same kind of universe?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Is it really any good? I can hardly imagine a licensed game like that not being awful.

It's a mediocre, slow plodding KOTOR with a slow time button instead of a straightup pause button.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does Xenosaga 3 have an auto attack feature I never noticed before?

Like my ES craft except for one are uncontrollable all of a sudden and the word AUTO shows up on the top left...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just blew through Xenosaga series for the second time, and then started to work on Xenogears. All the references jesus. Also the two are clearly not the same universe. Wave existence might be the same thing in a different universe than Xenosaga, and all the rest. But it can't be a prequel for a few reasons.

Anyways the entire time I was playing it I felt like I wanted to play FFX instead. I say this as a Takahashi fan too... It's just too old, too archaic.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

As an english speaker, if I get FFX International, will I be able to play the game? ie: are texts in english and/or audio is subtitled if spoken in japanese?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

Why not just wait for the HD re-release? It will have all the International content.

PS3 is semi broken right now and I'm too lazy to fix it. I do however still have a ps2/emulator I can play it on.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Nobody here would be versed well enough in the save editor to help me out with a Nar Shadaa bug? I keep on getting crashes right before the Duros bounty hunters fight (going back to previous saves, the game starts crashing at earlier points, after/before the Twin Suns fight).

I am using the latest version of the restoration mod (1.8.2) and this was a fresh save.

Game was also randomly crashing on every forth or so load screen for some time now (it wasn't so bad initially).

e:actually it seems all my previous saves now crash after any cutscene, wtf?

I replayed (second time on pc, two and a half times on xbox) that somewhat recently and never got any crashes nor had to force windowed mode.

Actually no I think I got some crashes but I dont even remember what they were related to.

I hope you're not using the droid planet. Even with it being restored content there is a valid reason why it's not in the main game, it's just loving boring padding and fetch quests that has you running back and forth over the linear path over and over again. It's almost as bad as dragon age 2 if dragon age 2 was fun at all times except for that level.

As for Kreia, you always fail her expectations because she's an old hag who thinks everyone who isn't her is useless.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Rinkles posted:

No that was without the droid planet mod. Game's just buggy as hell, even with the mod work. Playing on a modern OS doesn't help either.

I'm all for Kreia ultimately not accepting you, but she should do so because she disproves of your choices (for whatever reasons), not because you're blatantly forced to act in a way she won't like.

I suppose so yeah. I gave it a little more leeway because lucasarts hosed them over so they were rushed in probably a few parts.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I guess it's been a while since I played Vesperia, but I seem to recall that being kind of... overpopulated, I guess? Phantasia definitely soured me, and Destiny 2 certainly did the series no favors in my eyes. I feel like it had the same problem as SO3 where enemies had aggro zones and they were frequently placed in really inconvenient areas where it was hard to evade them or it would be quicker to just kill them than sneak by.

Yeah. Xenosaga did the whole "no random encounters, buuuuut we're gonna place an enemy here you can't sneak by, and when you escape battle your model isn't allowed to run through the enemy so sometimes you're kind of SOL"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I need a game that is like bravely default that isn't exclusvely on 360/ps3 (because I no longer own them).

I can't afford to buy BD for probably at least a week (ironically when everyone stops playing it) but I would like something like it to tide me over until then. I've already beaten the demo and the final bosses like ten times and it's not like I can just mindlessly grind for cash because that doesn't carry over, or items.

Any tips?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The gap mentioned is really only like a light timeskip. It's filled in for you later as the story goes on, though the reasons were kind of dumb.

I mean, as RPGs go Xenosaga 3 is easily the best one, but namcobandai really poo poo all over the franchise in trying to compete with FFX, localization, blaming poor sales due to it not being good enough and changing stuff up to "fix" it (when part of it was localization and being tryhards on the devs). It "ties" up the plot threads but you can tell they tried to mush everything together towards the end because they didn't have enough game. Combat is great tho.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

And finally, back to my first comment, is there just something I'm doing wrong because it's not fun being unable to fully use my abilities because I can never position myself properly to use them most of the time due to aggro.

The aggro in that game unfortunately is not a buildup of aggro but whoever is doing the most aggro at any given moment, which is basically vanilla wow so high dps folk can steal threat very fast.

swtor also had this issue that wow fixed ages ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How is Drakenguard 3?