Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

NeverRamza posted:

Overly cute 14 year old girl who tries very hard yet is clumsy and accidentally says adorably goofy things at times? Here it is, once again.

Out of curiosity, is there anyone here that actually appreciates this archetype? I'm not suggesting it is wrong to. I'm just wondering if anyone does. If there is an audience for this fine, but I always thought people would play these games IN SPITE of the insipid characters not so much because of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Nihnoz posted:

They don't make pure RPGs anymore in the west.

Because roughly the whole point of "RPGs" was to allow for greater complexity than was possible in games that were perhaps more action oriented. This limitation is quickly becoming not so limiting, but there are still problems, on both sides of the sea. jRPGs tend to favor keeping what a video RPG was in tact, while vainly attempting to appeal to larger audiences without abandoning the esoteric concepts/mechanics that "make an RPG". wRPGs tend to focus a bit less on the variety of features and seem more like shooters with an inventory and maybe some progression elements, more than anything else, instead they seem simplified to appeal to more people, abandoning both the archaic systems and many of the features that went with them. Bethesda, for as much as they frustrate me, probably come the closest to what most likely envisioned for video RPGs when they started making turn based role playing games nearly three decades ago, with Deus Ex probably being the first to really capture that intent.

So, yeah, a "pure" RPG probably isn't long for this world. jRPGs just feel contrived, with mechanics for mechanics' sake, and while there will always be a niche for the turn based or purely numbers driven RPGs of old, games in general are more than likely to lean much toward _____ with RPG elements.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

So. Playing Dragon Quest VI, and well. Is the last boss supposed to be wrecking my poo poo by the third form or am I under-leveled? I can easily get past the first 2 forms but when the final one hits he just levels my party in 4-5 turns. I've got everyone level 40-42.

I managed at 40, but only thanks to me going crazy with classes and had most classes mastered on most characters, so I had a whole lot of tools available. At that level it was definitely a crap shoot, though. I would suggest grinding to at least 45, and maybe check an FAQ to see what skills you might want to pick up while you're at it. Something like Hustle Dance on everyone can really save your bacon.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Lurchibles posted:

Another very smart move from Sega is the re-releasing of their games on multiple platforms. Not just handhelds (which obviously makes sense) but you can now pick up their games on Steam and everything. Awesome stuff.
This is nice, but I wish they would go the extra mile for things like Panzer Dragoon Saga. There are tons of gems out there that are practically lost to time, and there is little to no recourse for the public to communicate any substantial interest in these things, because MOST people simply will not have a viable means of trying things games.

I can appreciate it is a risk to get a lot of these games in order. A lot of software wasn't well documented, or even archived, so it may turn out that a lot of publishers/developers do not have much/any source code in tact. Just wishing it wasn't re-re-releases of games everyone has already played, even if it is nice they are being released to a platform that will (ideally) remain in tact for longer than a decade.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Polygamy posted:

I've heard that was true for Panzer Dragoon Saga but it wouldn't surprise me the least to find out they lost code for other games. I still want to know how in the gently caress do you just up and lose the code?

This was basically before things like remakes or re-releases really existed, so the idea that the code would somehow be useful after the initial release was practically unheard of. I guess developers just assumed the product would be rebuilt from the ground up. It was right around the turning point, thanks to the GBA and I imagine Japanese cellphone games proving there was a market in straight up porting games. Roughly everything before this point was just deleted after everyone was comfortable the game was "done".

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Nothing. It isn't even a legit release. That is, you can not and could not buy it. It is a hacked up FFVII that is supposed to be more compatible, but because the community rightly only supported the original retail release, that is no longer true.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Yeah, for the little information we have heard I would not be surprised if DQX just up and reconsiders whatever content the have before moving to a portable. If it wasn't clear before, I am sure Japanese developer/publishers understand that the market just isn't interested in family room entertainment systems. Even if DQ will sell well regardless it doesn't quite make much sense if most of the content already produced could just as well be put on a 3DS.

There was some talk about making the game a Wii/WiiU release, where it would support some WiiU features, while still being compatible on a normal Wii system. They may do just that, since I believe the whole idea of getting the console untied from the TV was specifically for Japanese audiences.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Philip Rivers posted:

While I do love FFT, I was looking for a more traditional JRPG. I used it more to draw comparisons to the job system.
I would definitely recommend Dragon Quest IX. I've been looking for a FFT style class system in a more typical RPG for a good while now and it did not disappoint.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Philip Rivers posted:

I feel like the one guy who likes JRPGs and doesn't like Dragon Quest. I don't get it at all, they seem like fantastic games, but every time I play one I get bored after a few hours and can't plow through.

You are definitely not alone. Obviously I am not one of them, but you have to be in the right mood of the game. They do not disguise the basics or dress the game up with much fluff. They're just straight up numbers driven adventure games. Don't look at the numbers or grinding as impediments to progress, but facilitators. They very much encourage the idea of training and preparation, and seeing how the games are only loosely story driven, it works; but like I said, you have to be in the right mood for it.

Which is why I recommend DQIX, since there a huge portion of the game is just about building your characters to meet the next challenge (boss) so you can probably get into the gameplay side a little better, given you will have some actual goals to work toward with each character.

Still, if you have tried a number of the games and just can't get into them then I wouldn't force yourself, but it did take me a lot of tries before I really "got" Dragon Quest. The fact most other jRPGs are little more than visual novels instead of actual games didn't hurt either; its nice to have a series that is just some very straight forward traditional turn based gameplay, with fairy tale style plot/stories just to drive the progression.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

C-Euro posted:

If memory serves, you have to switch to Surround sound in the game's options, which eliminates the echo for some reason :eng101:

I can confirm this. I guess they didn't properly QA the game and unless you select Surround the game is still trying to play on more than 2 channels, which just get echoed/oversampled on a stereo system. Set it to surround and the extra channels get lost, but since voice was going to play on all speakers anyway... well, no echo. I don't think there is enough positional audio for the change to otherwise have any negative impact, and at least not enough, or frequently enough for it to matter.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

I've been thinking about doing this as well. Would I need both a PAL modded Wii and a PAL TV to play it?

Just a modded Wii. Loaders can define the output mode, even if the game itself does not technically support it (most PAL games these days either have a 60hz/50hz option, or just let the system determine the frequency).

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
^^^ On Suikoden Tactics, I have heard nothing but good things. Such good things that it apparently all but redeems Suiko 4. I can not confirm, because slow/tedius "tactics" style gameplay just drives me bonkers, but for what its worth, Suiko Tactics is worth the time/effort if the gameplay doesn't turn you away.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Yeah, I agree. I don't mind that recruiting was often more involved, but the flags/cut-offs was a real kick in the balls. About the only real gripe I had with that game, though.... aside from the loading time... and the ten hour prologue... uh, I really did like the game, honest.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

al-azad posted:

"Busy work" usually carries negative connotations but I enjoyed comparing armor/weapon attributes, upgrading equipment, exploring planets, and bumping up stats. Mass Effect 2 was somehow longer than the first game but had nearly nothing to keep you preoccupied.

This is just a matter of making the numbers go up. Where ME2 "steamlined" the content so that roughly everything was unique, it lost the gradual statistical gains that tend to define the addictive RPGs. "Just one more". If there are countless ways to improve and gain in power and you are ALWAYS gaining tiny incremental gains it can be very difficult to just loving quit for the day.

I had an opposite experience with Mass Effect games, but it wasn't just busy work. It was just the constant feed of reward. Even if the rewards didn't make the gameplay any more engaging/dynamic. Even these adventure game shooters like ME2 can have it (ME2 DID NOT). Look at the recent Deus Ex. Simply exploring to accumulate a tiny bit more experience for just one more praxis point? That alone wouldn't be enough, but environments are always littered with bullets (which somehow manage to remain scarce), credit chits (for which there is very little to buy once you find your "load out), and ebooks or pocket secretaries that yield nothing more than some plot. You are constantly being fed with rewards that FEEL like they have some immediate impact even when they do not, all the while working toward a larger goal (more augs). Not that DX:HR is a good example of an RPG. Just saying that format of ME2 can have that addictive edge, because everytime I look at the clock another two hours have passed and the only thing I have to show for it is some logged emails and a handful of ammo.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

3D Budgie posted:

Ni no Kuni confirmed for America!

Here's hoping that we'll be getting more console JRPGs next year.

:bearcat:

I don't care jRPG or otherwise, just give me more stylish games like this. Literally have been waiting for more stuff like this since Dragon Quest VIII/Wind Waker. Okami was solid. What else was there? Whatever, it hasn't been nearly enough. gently caress this photorealism. I want my art to imitate art!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
To everyone suggesting "you can just play it on Vita", I wouldn't get ahead of yourselves. Vita does not have a UMD slot, and unless this is released on PSN I would NOT trust Sony to properly support backward compatibility.

"There will be a UMD reader (optional $59.99 device)" *never releases anything*
"We'll simply let you trade UMDs for access to PSN equivalents" *doesn't follow through, PSN equivalents do not exist for the games in question, or publishers -unanimously- do not support the option*

Until there is a rational way to get your PSP games on Vita the last thing I would recommend is Vita as a PSP.

This all assuming the Suikoden isn't garbage. I'd like to be optimistic, but considering Konami and the state of the industry in general, eh. This is gonna suck. :sigh:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Finally started playing 4 Heroes of Light seriously, and... I dunno. I guess I gotta rant a little.

For starters, I really like it. They do a lot of things right, and most other things OK. Most important is it generally feels like a traditional RPG from the NES days, without having all of aging mechanical faults; for example, gear seems focused on utility than linear upgrades, so the numbers don't seem to radically inflate. Of course I am not too terribly far, yet. Just got White/Black mage, out of a poo poo ton of classes (crowns). Anyway, even stuff like being unable to target your actions, works out well enough, and no complaints there.

My problem is with the script(ing). For starters, having static characters doesn't feel right. I can deal if they were otherwise vague placeholders, since each character will have a variety of appearances based on armor/crowns, so that's kinda cool. Squareenix decided to give them personalities and basic stories, however. We have a snob princess, but dialog is so brief that it doesn't matter. It just reinforces that the static characters exist for the sake of static characters.

Which brings me to scripting. It doesn't take long to get your full party, so I was keen enough to just suck it up and have some fun. So what is characters are awful, and I don't get to really do my cRPG style party building. Functionally it isn't much different. What happens as soon as you return from your first quest? Let's split the party!

Did I mention there is heavy inventory management? So up and go two of your four party members, taking everything they hold. It doesn't go to storage or anything. Not like this is a-typical for the genre of jRPGs, but the characters are utterly throw away. It doesn't feel like anyone is expressing personality. It just feels like you are being forced to follow the script.

I get this was supposed to be geared to new audiences, hence the overly simplified battle system of auto-selecting targets; THAT actually works. But the characters, plot, etc feel forced and simply existing for the sake of capturing a non-attentive audience's attention, as if they need a personal level to enter from. That MAY be true, but the script is otherwise so trite it might as well not be there. End result is it is an impediment to gameplay that would otherwise be fun as a classic "Here's your party, now go exploring/adventuring" style RPG.

So, Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light. Better than I expected in some regards. Kinda insufferable in others. Can anyone tell me whether I will get a full party back and stay that way, or is this game going to keep pulling/swapping characters arbitrarily?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

The problem is that enemies get stronger (they have ridiculous level scaling to the point where overworld mooks will wipe you once you hit the 40s or 50s if you neglect upgrading your equipment)
Wait, so NPCs level up with the player?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
No, I was talking about monsters, enemies.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Joshlemagne posted:

The party splitting and solo sections were the stupidest things about that game.
Yup. I'm still not up to that regrouping point, and it's been consistently rather poo poo. Tolerable, but tedious and not so much engaging, as you only ever have two party members that are worth investing any time into at any given time. Occasionally only one.

I'm still sticking with it. Got Aire to the floating city, which I am guessing is where everyone comes back together? Guess it will work out, though, because I like to grind in portable RPGs, and I've been itching to really get into the game and start grinding up equipment upgrades, and crowns, since gaining access to the Merchant crown.

Oh well, thank goodness for the wayfarer and escape. Otherwise, yeah, the level scaling is mad dumb. Ran into lizardmen outside of Urbeth, and they were hardly comparable to the lizardmen you can encounter in the beginning of the game, though there is no in-game indication to identify just how much more advanced they are since you last saw them. What progression?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Barudak posted:

FFVI is fun once you get out of the World of Balance but getting to World of Ruin is a slog and I to this date can not stand how far you have to get in that game before it deigns to start giving you Espers. I'm always surprised when people talk about FFXIII being a huge tutorial when FFVI does the same thing until World of Ruin.

FFIV is just bad. Note; I'm ridiculously biased against it.

World of Balance isn't too bad for me, because I always try to low level the WoB, so I can take advantage of esper level up bonuses. It's a nice little diversion where you game the systems hard in a series of pre-set challenges, and the reward is a mostly open world with a bunch of blank slates you can grind up absurd stats and complete and totally break an already imbalanced/easy to crack game. I'm a bit of a power-gamer like that, though, so FFVI has grown a lot on me. Still think the original Final Fantasy is my favorite. Particularly the remakes that tighten up some of the mechanics a bit. I would be just shy of killing someone for a game in the same spirit as the original, with say, the generally open world design of FFXII. Dunno about the battle system, to be honest. I like turn based stuff, and actually find myself becoming more partial to random encounters. Strange what age will do to a person.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Can someone please help me with a non-spoiler hint as to where I find the Dark Elf in Final Fantasy 4?
I think I have found the cave but I can not land there. What's up?

To the south west from that little forest island with a cave is a castle town. Go there.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Thanks, but I just came from there - I met those women in the castle and they told me to go to the cave to retrieve the crystal. :( :confused: :(

I could just head over to gamefaqs, I know, but I'm trying to do the game without a walkthrough. I'm stumped now though. Do I need to purchase a writ for the pub to advance the main quest?

Head north from the castle town, you'll find a chocobo forest. Should be evident what you need to do once you're in there.

EDIT: poo poo, I should probably refresh before replying.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
How is the multiplayer in Two Worlds II?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Well, maybe not what you are looking for, but mentioned earlier was Opoona, for the Wii. Had never heard of the thing until yesterday. Going to be looking more into it this weekend and might hunt down a copy of the thing.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Thanks everybody for the SMT IV pointers earlier. Just one more question: how involved do I need to get in cherrypicking my fusions? So far I've just taken recommended fusions when I've been able to (and when they seemed beneficial), but do I need to be actively searching for and pre-planning fusions? I'm not interested in min/maxing, just in being reasonably well equipped to make it through the game.
Generally, you only need fusions for keep demon levels up to speed with enemies, since demons basically level very slowly. So fusions with sacrifices can be pretty essential in keeping pace, if not simply saving you a lot of trouble by unlocking more skills on a given demon without needing to grind everything up, or gently caress around with skill transfers (since not every demon can inherit every skill and not every skill will you want demon's to inherit).

Having said that, because of the nature of press-turns, fusing the right demon(s) can make all the difference in the world with some boss fights. Usually the "right" demons to have along are no more difficult to come across than simply recruiting demons that are readily available in the area, based on element resist/attacks. Every now and again you will encounter something hugely loving painful, however, and you will want to take a step back and try checking out all of the potential fusions and which of this will get you the best results for the current boss that may be stone walling you. That may even including going back a zone and recruiting/fusing everything available from there, but these times are often few and far between. Instead, just recruiting what you find and picking/choosing from what's available so you get the right mix of skills across the entire party is sufficient, rather than fusing up a single strong-counter demon to the current roadblock.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

I would have liked to see a Dragon Quarter 2, I think they could have absolutely nailed the gameplay they were going for with a second go-around. Sadly, it's likely we'll never see even a regular BoF again.

I still hum the boss theme from time to time.

Which is a real shame, because the game being designed like a dungeon crawler, it would work out really well with the trend toward roguelike/lites. Slap in some randomized dungeons, keep the SOL system so the gimmick to sort of set it apart from other random dungeon crawlers is you do not necessarily have to give up everything between replays, but keep the limited dragon power deal, so you have an "I win" button, if it is however extremely limited and may result in your guaranteed death, given the randomized nature of dungeons means you can not quite meta your way through by using dragon powers in a certain way on certain bosses. :breath:

Otherwise, maybe keep the save restart setup, so the option of just grinding your way through things by abusing dragon powers then using the restart mechanics to keep the XP, while losing any accumulated "heat". Better yet, abandon that, abbreviate the scope of the game so it can conceivably be completed in a single sitting, not dissimilar to Binding of Isaac, and keep the various weapons/armors sufficiently unique that they can wildly change the direction of the experience and you would have a winner. They could even slap the thing on 3DS/Vita to accommodate Eastern audiences, since they tend toward portables, and then drop it on PC to accommodate the West.

Not only do I think it would work out for them very well, but it would revive the series without necessarily making GBS threads all of it it, where "Dragon Quarter" is more of a derivative title than a main series so it doesn't matter if it only diverges farther... not that BF6 doesn't poo poo all of those plans, but you know. Good luck, Capcom. God bless.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 9, 2013

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I played Oblivion for almost 200 hours. During that time I went into a gate once, and never again. I think I met the important prince character or whatever but other than that I never touched the main story. It took 150 hours or so before I even went through that drat gate :v:

Pretty much the same for myself. I have never finished the main quest line.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

I recently bought the Witcher bundle on GOG because what the hell, less than 5€ for two huge games, but I've since been reminded why I just really didn't much like Witcher 1 at all and never made it past the second act. The gameplay is just interminably dull and glacial and the character development options are so limited it might not even call itself an RPG at all. I know it's got a supposedly really good plot, but what good does that do me if I can't get there for boredom? Not a recommended purchase.

I haven't played Assassin of Kings enough yet to have much of an opinion, but I hope it's better.
The Witcher 2 is basically a completely different game, outside of dialog. Just jump in. It doesn't concern itself too much with the events of the first game that isn't explained to you well enough, so just get at it.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

CVagts posted:

I actually liked Suikoden IV... the characters weren't really hashed out a lot.

Use the confessional.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Are there any RPGs out there with simple leveling systems like Dark/Demon's Souls, a cast of generics , and no classes?

I mean, literally the only way I can think to describe what I am looking for is a party oriented turn-based Dark Souls (concerning stat allocation/leveling). I can vaguely think of a few, but they tend to have characters weighted one way or another, or some sort of opaque/obtuse mechanism for leveling statistics that it just doesn't really work in practice.

Almost anything with a degree of flexibility is class based, and baring that, they tend to have some sort of opaque/obtuse leveling mechanic. Final Fantasy II (the original on NES) probably comes the closest to what I am imagining, absent a cast of recruits (which is OK, since practically speaking they are blank slates + or - a point here or there), but it effectively uses the practice-to-level mechanics that encourage the most soul crushing of grinds, and I really don't want to game the systems using obfuscated system. I just want to grind levels, distribute points, and min/max a variety of builds to the extent the other mechanics (statistical formulas etc) allow for viable focuses one way or another.

I just recently realized I had so much fun with Dark Souls is because I didn't have to do anything silly to make the character I want, so I ended up making a whole crap ton of different characters focused around a bunch of different things, like certain spells, weapons or even armor sets. Figured there had to be something similar, like gain a level and then the player is free to distribute a handful of points any which way, but the nearest I can think of might be the original diablo, but again, it is class based, and almost anything else I can think of, tends to have a cast of characters that start so far toward one archetype or another, or have unique weapons/skills that make the idea of stat allocation pretty much irrelevant.

Just about all platforms welcome. More than anything I'd just like to know whether there is anything like this anywhere.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Those faces are the creepiest loving thing. It's like looking at "realistic" PS3 game like Metal Gear Solid 4 for the first time but a hundred times worse.

Its because they're using a pseudo realistic render style, the scene would appear to be motion captured, but the rigging on the models causes the anatomy to look really bizarre (look how high that kid in blue can kick). Lastly, perhaps most importantly, the expressions are completely static. What you get is a Chuckie vibe, where you watch some dolls with creepy smiles are dancing around on their own.

Its one reason I have had trouble being bothered with any RPGs this generation. Uncanny valley makes any of these fantasty stories really difficult to engage with, because the action or script tends to conflict with the render style. When the art style can't remain consistent and you get sort of janky animations, or static creepy expressions, things start to get weird and its difficult to tell if you're supposed to laugh or just feel a little bit scared.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Levantine posted:

Ah, thank you. I can see why that gets poo poo on a bit, but I've played so much Chrono Trigger at this point the entire game feels a bit like mindless grinding so I'd probably give it a shot anyway :v:

Just wait until Lost Sanctum. The Dimensional Vortex isn't bad. It isn't good, especially by Chrono Trigger standards, but it is fine. Lost Sanctum has a special place in video game hell, however. It is something that really must be experienced to be believed.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 22, 2014

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm kinda curious how Alter Code F makes Wild Arms 1 worse because what the hell could they have done besides graphics and some general quality of life stuff?

It wasn't just improved graphics and quality of life changes. They tinkered with a lot of the gameplay and design in the process, the result is not so satisfying. Additionally, they added a variety of features that were introduced in later games that are not so entertaining. I know some people like the search features or whatever, but it doesn't work very well in WA1. It's difficult for me to say how much is nostalgia and how much of Alter Code F is just bad idea, so at worst I can say Alter Code F is playable, but it isn't a replacement to the original.

EDIT: ^^^ yeah, the padding. The original already had issues with pacing. Alter Code F stuffed a ton of intermediary steps to existing quests that only further slowed things down. I can only imagine this was an effort to keep the game "fresh" for fans of the original, but I can't imagine it only making the experience unfun for everyone. I certainly didn't appreciate it.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 17, 2014

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Zereth posted:

The out of battle graphics are pretty sweet, though.

Yeah, that and while RPGs have their gameplay mostly in battles, Wild Arms keeps you mostly in Zelda style dungeons. The battles are still solid, and I personally appreciate that it avoids the often gimmicky systems of more modern games. The force system was always a nice touch, but nothing overdone.

It's only major fault, outside of a rather ho-hum script, is battle graphics looking truly awful. I personally have little issues looking past them, however.

Heck, all of this Wild Arms talk makes me want to give the game another go, but I probably should finish 3. I never quite caught the bug it seems a lot of you did with that game, but it did still keep the charm of the series well enough. It's just drat that game drags on and on.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
That's probably a good way of thinking about it, and it makes sense in hindsight. It'll probably work out better for me keeping that in mind, because I got bored originally wondering why things seemed so haphazard, like a few plot lines just sort of got forgotten (though they were technically solved, I was just expecting some sort of twist).

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Gamma Nerd posted:

The games would totally have been better if they had all been a storm of crazy poo poo constantly happening like this

The last 3 hours have had more stupid plot twists than a whole Kingdom Hearts game and it's loving amazing

Yup. If Xenosaga had been written from the start with a well paced script, it could have been a great series. A ton of chaff could have stood to be cut simply on the basis of it existing exclusively as anime cliches, anyway. Episode 3 still had its problems, partly as a result of them trying to salvage something out of the existing games that went absolutely nowhere, but it is easily the better of the games because of it. I should really go back and give that one a second whirl. I had a lot of fun with it.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tonfa posted:

The open world kind of falls apart when you realize that each encounter always (re)spawns in the same place. oh i guess i get to run through yet another chimera GOD

Yeah, Dragon's Dogma has some pretty glaring faults, but it somehow manages to have its own charm and ended up at one of my all time favorites of the generation. Dark Arisen dungeon crawling was especially rad.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

How far into TiTS am I if I only just finished chapter 1? I get the feeling not far, and besides the oft-amusing dialogue, the game's still not really gelling for me :(

From what I understand, TiTS has a really slow start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

RadicalR posted:

Wait, what? First I'm hearing of this.

It's a really simple exploit, google for specifics, but I believe it works like this:
Have your first character use an herb, or something. You need at least 3.
Have the second character use another herb.
Third character reorders the inventory to swap the herb with whatever you want to duplicate, the item to duplicate must have a stock of only 1.
Let the turn play out, and it should use two of the item to duplicate, looping the stock from 1 -> 0 -> 255.

Google to double check. I'm not even sure it was necessary to let the turn play out, because I vaguely recall duplicating things like Crest Graphs, which were unusable in battles, so it may be even more broken than I remember.