Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

But speaking more broadly, have I missed any good higher-tech-than-feudal-setting RPG's?

The World Ends With You uses modern Tokyo as a setting, highly recommended if you have a DS.

Live a Live (SNES) presents a variety of short chapters placed in different eras, ranging from prehistorical to futuristic.

Nathilus posted:

The Way

No, don't. The series devolves as it goes on, forgets plot points and has reveals that would be retarded by Square-Enix standards. The gameplay becomes increasingly more boring and painful as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Bellmaker posted:

What's a jRPG with a good magic system? I'm a sucker for elemental strengths/weaknesses, especially when it applies to everyone. I played the hell out of Magical Starsign (the game's plot-shift from Earthbound-esque whimsy to "totally serious" nearly gave me whiplash), Chrono Cross, SMT...

Try Rudra no Hihou for the SNES, where you generate your own spells by typing out a word and putting it into your spellbook. You can figure things out through in-game hints and spell names used by enemies, play around with prefixes and suffixes, or just luckily stumble your way to getting a huge fuckoff level power spell by inputting a random word that comes to mind.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The PC version of Oath in Felghana was really good and many people say that it's the best Ys game, or at least the best recent one. Not sure how the PSP version will stack up.

Ys Origin is pure excellence (Oath gameplay system with a few additions, three characters, postgame unlockables like Ys6 Adol and YsOiF Adol) but it's unlikely to ever get ported to anything. :sigh: I highly recommend the PC version if you don't mind the text being in Japanese, there are maybe four spots where progression is not obvious even with no language knowledge, and there's a FAQ. The fan translation project seems like it'll be done in 2020.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Anyone who actually suffered through Last Rebellion mind giving a quick summary of why it's considered one of the worst RPGs ever? I'm curious about how a current gen game (E: that is not Black Sigil) can be on the same level of terrible as Drakkhen or Secret of the Stars.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Wendell posted:

All right RPG thread, it's got some pretty bad reviews but I like its bright colours and low price point. So tell me, is Wild Arms XF for the PSP a game worth playing?

Would you enjoy a FFT style battle/job system except half the maps are horrible gimmicks that do things like make all but one class completely useless or make you lure enemies tediously out of water so you can damage them?

I hear it gets better later but I wasn't able to stomach chapter 1.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Phantasium posted:

Probably would have played Spheda more if the first dungeon didn't have water traps on the side of every piece of the map.

The first dungeon is secretly Spheda hell. Skip it at first and do the awesome 2 and 3, and the somewhat boring but easy 4. By the time you get to dungeon 5 you'll be ready for its brand of :unsmigghh:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

abraham linksys posted:

This is an admittedly vague question, but does anyone have recommendations for RPGs that are around 15-25 hours long? I want to play something different than the MMOs and shooters I've been playing recently (holy poo poo, playing WoW and Destiny back-to-back is a great way to burn out on those genres hard), but avoid too much of a time commitment.

If you want a RPG with a sweet battle system that moves at a fast clip Wild Arms 4 is good and clocks in at roughly 20. Don't bother if you have a low bad plot tolerance level though.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I like how you can switch the character portraits in Natural Doctrine from "anime" to "realistic" and how loving horrifying the realistic setting looks.

:allears:

Go on. This game sounds more interesting with every post.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

With a handful of exceptions anything you don't fuse is going to be hopelessly obsolete a couple dungeons after you get it. Keep on moving up in the demon world.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What JRPGs are grounded in reality, in that the characters wear clothes that'd only take a minute to get on and aren't overly immaculate for their status? If I remember, nobody looked too out of place in Chrono Trigger.

What is even the point of making a JRPG if you're not going all out on fashion disasters

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

ImpAtom posted:

Don't stress out about leveling. The game is designed in a way where you can use anyone you want and they'll catch up in levels super quickly.

To expand on this a bit if you're underleveled you get several levels a fight (dozens, even) and as you approach the target level for the area the exp you get drops heavily. Grinding is the absolute dumbest thing to do.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

MockingQuantum posted:

It's been a while since I played 2 but isn't there a character that you can miss out on if you don't complete certain events within a (fairly generous) time limit? Clive maybe?

Not the character himself, but he has a side plot that requires you to reach certain places before a game clock time limit, IIRC. You definitely can get 108 stars without worrying about time.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Yeah, it took me a few tries as well. The keys to the battle are poison, turtling, and the resist death accessory that I believe is in the dungeon right before the boss.

Keyword "resist". You still have a chance to instantly die if the game wants you to no matter what! :shepicide:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Levantine posted:

Legaia 2 was better than the first. It was way less grindy. The first one was hard as balls at some points which is sorta good but I could only ever get past by grinding.

:shrug: It's really hard to die in Legaia imo unless you're running from all the encounters or something.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Levantine posted:

I dunno man, I haven't played it since it was a new game but bosses pretty much required you to be in top form: best gear available and at least a certain stat threshold. That big plant boss in the ruins fairly early on was a nightmare til I ground out levels. I seem to recall most bosses being the same. Legaia 2, on the other hand, was more along the lines of what you're describing.

I do remember just printing out a movelist 'cause gently caress the game dripfeeding you your combos, so I guess that's an advantage. The plant boss can be instakilled with one of your early summons :v: though he is a major list shitkicker, probably the hardest in the game along with the duel fights later on. Still if you keep yourself fully healed every time you take damage you shouldn't be dying. Most of the other bosses have a really obvious tell before they're using their big move.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

The open world kind of falls apart when you realize that each encounter always (re)spawns in the same place. oh i guess i get to run through yet another chimera GOD

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

i feel like SO3's system had potential to be good but ultimately you just spammed a single move until you couldn't deal with the voice clip anymore

still enjoyed spamming a single move forever a lot

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

I have no idea what's up with these systems and subsystems in resonance of fate but as long as I can keep up the sick 360 noscope bullet time jump action feat. dressup I don't really care

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Shadow Hearts 2 dungeons are godawful turbomaze slogfests that made me quit the game combined with the encounter rate and even single round encounters taking way too long

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Sjonkel posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what Snes rpg's do people recommend? Only tried Chrono Trigger which is pretty amazing, and I'm sure there are more games out there that I've never heard of as well.

How did no one mention Live-a-Live, ffs

Edit: Rudra no Hihou is also fantastic just for how surreal it is

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 3, 2015

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Rascyc posted:

Ya do this. I played the Lufia games backwards and thought it was better for it.

Should have done that. Lufia 1 is a real piece of poo poo by any modern standards (hope you like not being able target enemies and an outrageous encounter rate) and I slogged through on sheer misguided willpower. Lufia 2 looked playable but I just didn't care at that point :dawkins101:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Tales of Graces and Xillia are up on PSN as a combo deal for 15 euro, I've played some of the primitive titles and seen most of Graces played and think the series is basically Star Ocean Minus, should I bother

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Whoever recommended Tales of Xillia is pretty alright, a few hours in this already seems like a quality timesink even though the controls are a bit questionable

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

A couple pages back people were talking about two controller RPGs and no one mentioned FF5 :colbert:

and ff9 but don't do that one

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

ManOfTheYear posted:

I remember my friend having a pirated something-or-other dual disc thingy with chrono trigger and ff4, but they were completely in black and white. I don't know what was up with that adn why they didn't have colours.

Happened with NTSC games on certain PAL TVs.

Please don't dredge up any more memories of NTSC/PAL bullshit :negative:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

SelenicMartian posted:

VP2's battle system is odd though. I've put it down after test-playing it for about 4 hours, went back to that save a few months later, and got my rear end kicked by every single encounter. There's so much crap to take care of in every battle and I forgot all of it.

Use the Dash jump to get into the enemy's face, mash every button. It works fine. RPGs that expect you to work out combos while giving you gently caress all for documentation and no training dummy :effort:

Look up the rune combo for Toughness, you'll be able to double the entire party's max HP in Chapter 4.

Oh yeah don't use mages, unlike VP1 they are the dirt worst

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 2, 2015

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

SelenicMartian posted:

Is Jade Cocoon 2 as dull and monotone as the first one?

The gameplay is better but it is quite repetitive. I personally loved the "quiet end of the world" setting in the first one, but the second one doesn't quite deliver there. It does bookend the first game's protagonist really well though.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah for every dude with an anti-tank chainsaw or Not-Vampire with Secret Vampire Girlfriend there are hours of stupid and stupidly bland JRPG.

I dunno man, you can't knock it for the length. 15-20 hours total, I distinctly remember it for being a rare JRPG that doesn't grind to a halt anywhere. Even if the part you're at is bad you're basically guaranteed to get to something :krad: in the next 30 minutes

Re: the low level challenge talk a few pages back, I absolutely love doing challenge runs but barely tend to have time for even new games as is anymore.

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 7, 2015

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Maria is Really Good actually, keep up with the Aiming Device spam. If you're playing the PAL version use Peppita for sicknasty Power Dance chains.

There's a safe spot in some corner of the arena during the giant supermove. Also consider using items in the middle of it to mitigate the disaster.

edit: oh you were using her for healing, don't do that. just use items and spam the poo poo out of aiming device scatter beam or w/e was even better i think when not mp killing

also it's the top left corner iirc

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 8, 2015

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

CottonWolf posted:

The materia system probably needs some relatively major changes too, given that it functionally makes your party members completely interchangable apart from the weapons they get and their limits.

I've tinkered around with modding VII and come to the conclusion that it's not really materia making the characters interchangeable, the stat/weapon/armor design in the base game is just boring and uniform as hell

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 30, 2015

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dont sell your weapons, you need a few early ones for weapon fusion (I think the Ogre or Mage-Masher is the REALLY lovely one that cant be bought again for a few discs?).

it's actually worse than that, you need to buy extra copies of javelin or some poo poo to make everything much later

just don't loving bother trying to complete ff9 :fireman:

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 9, 2015

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Hey it's time to dungeon crawl for the next 30 minutes, I hope the bgm is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4x4c0AvsBY

gently caress

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Nate RFB posted:

randomly preventing some characters from being in your party to use

I get RPGs have this for story reasons but losing the who's going to be in the final party prediction game really blows in games with growth systems and/or uneven EXP

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Quest For Glory II posted:

Barring a sudden difficulty spike I'm gonna finish Breath of Fire IV today. I'm surprised at how easy it is. My characters are about 7-8 levels under the recommended by the FAQs but it hasn't been a problem. The combo attacks nuke just about every random encounter. I haven't even needed to use the summons yet.

From the start of time FAQs have at minimum been 10 levels above sanity for their level requirements

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Endorph posted:

my favorite part of demon path is that you recruit all the villains from the normal path, but instead ofi t being some 'alliance of evil' thing they're basically your wacky miniboss squad while you get to do all the hard work, and as the game goes on they go from 'wacky' to 'uncomfortably demented.'

Also the ones that aren't completely mentally destroyed by the halfway point eventually get increasingly uncomfortable with you and go "uhhh, you're worse than we ever were, nope not doing this"

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Also people who take it slow, explore everything and let the game run while making food or w/e

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

My favorite thing about Golden Sun is that around two thirds of the way through the game the characters actually have a 15 minute discussion where they ask each other what have been doing the whole time and if anyone knows what they're supposed to be doing. That just sums up the whole game.

Tae posted:

Phantom Brave was listed in the steam DB, presumably that's next but NISA might be trying to shore up their pc porting team right now.

Also this is extremely good, presumably it will have all the improvements across the versions and maybe some enterprising fan comes up with a way to unlock all classes and items at will.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

I am now going to go play unlimited saga

Even if you think you do the game will probably find it lacking.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Morpheus posted:

Kind of an oddly specific request, but what are some RPGs in which your strength of abilities, stats, equipment, whatever, goes up the more you use them?

Star Ocean: The Second Story goes above the usual "Skill+13" stuff and actually substantially changes your skills' usability by adding extra hits, speeding up animation and so forth.

In one unfortunate case it completely changes the skill animation from a point blank fire to a delayed mortar and it becomes unusable :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Million Ghosts posted:

FFX has a pretty drat small number of sidequests but some are pretty stupid so it's your call. i didn't use a guide and got most things.

now FFX-2 on the other hand absolutely requires a guide and is very easy to gently caress up even with good directions.

X-2 actually has a ton of side plot outcomes no one sees because they're playing optimally with a guide. Just play the game and do your thing imo

playing with a guide is cool too if that's what you want to do though!