Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Infinite Space really made me crave a Suikoden style space-merc style game but man, I don't understand why science fiction is rare in this realm.

Space Rangers 2 is really good and I would classify it an RPG. It's one of those European kitchen sink games so expect tons of jank but unprecedented emergent gameplay. There's an omnipresent enemy force that rampages across the galaxy and other space mercs will fight them. The economy will shift based on war and technology gets smaller and cheaper over time. It's one of the few video games, let alone RPGs, that make you feel like a small player in a greater conflict rather than the only person in the universe actually fighting back the badguys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

I'd say "complex" as in many moving, working parts meshed in with the overall plot, that relate to and effect each other. A backstory that spans several hundred or thousands of years. Cities and countries have their own unique culture and history.

Another example I think would be the Suikoden series.

To a lesser extent Seiken Densetsu 3 has three major plots and multiple subplots that interweave and events you see differ based on your starting character.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I really wanted Wild Arms 3 to not be so tedious. While it is the only game in its series to fully embrace the wild west aesthetic its pacing is horrendous and there's no moment where it gets exciting. It falls into the trap that some of the Tales games do where a plot thread is resolved in the same manner a season of a TV show would end. And it also falls to the use of Western terminology in an inappropriate setting. The SMT series gets away with this beautifully but every other RPG isn't afraid to toss poo poo at you like HERMES TRISMEGISTUS MACHINE like what the gently caress man (Xenogears was especially atrocious with its Soylent Green plotline out of nowhere).

I don't know why I kept pushing through but after a final boss that lasted somewhere around 40 minutes and a big "gently caress you" ending I just put it to the back of my memory. The first game was awesome. 2 and 3 not so much. I'm a sucker for an anime RPG so eventually I'll get to 4 and 5 and probably hate them as well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Terrible how? Is he Tales of the Abyss Luke terrible where he's a dangerously naive manchild paired with the strongest people on the planet who refuse to teach him or is he Radiata Stories Jack Russell terrible where he trolls everyone by pretending he's ignorant and will destroy the world to adventure with his tsundere girlfriend?

Because Luke was sad but Jack Russell is amazing and I need to know if he's sad-terrible or amazing-terrible.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

evilskillit posted:

I thought Tales of the Abyss was amazing because while almost all JRPG protagonists are completely loving worthless twats this was the first time that the party acknowledges this, and leaves the main character to die in favor of someone who sucks less forcing him to actually realize his shittiness and become a better person. I thought that whole angle was quite refreshing.

As for Radiata stories, I never did finish it but man I loved that game. I wish I had finished it or that I would finish it some day.

It would have been a great angle if literally everybody didn't already know Luke was a clone and refused to tell him. Never before have I played a game where the protagonist is ignorant and the supporting characters not only hate him for it but set him up for failure.

e: Actually Xenogears. Put me firmly in the "Citan is a douchebag" category.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The_Frag_Man posted:

What's a game that plays like persona 3/4? I want to play some anime high-school life simulator game.

Danganronpa :getin:

There's also Mana Khemia which is a pretty average anime RPG but you're students at a magic high school and in between spending free time with your harem you have to dungeon crawl and craft poo poo to get good grades. It basically has a social link which determines your ending scene although it's as simple as choosing which girl to talk to on your days off.

e: I want a Japanese version of Bully. Actually I just want more Bully, that game was sweet.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 2, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Overall I'd say not to stress the junction system. FF8 is a game that's easy to break even casually. And because enemies scale in level to a point you can play it comfortably without worrying too much unless you're going after optional content.

I'd say focus on GF abilities early on. Boost should be the first thing for all GFs followed by their refinement ability which turns worthless items into spells. Some of them have really helpful stuff like Diablos turns off random encounters, Siren lets you see invisible draw points and learn tool refine (tools teach GFs new skills), and Quezacotl has card refine to get rid of unnecessary cards.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble is probably the closest thing.

Unfortunately it doesn't take place during school.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is this what Photograph Boy turned into I am not impressed.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Machine posted:

Help, RPG thread, I have a lot of nostalgia for Quest 64 and need something like it but more modern. I have a PC, PS3, Vita, Wii U, and 3DS.

What do you like about Quest 64?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Machine posted:

Hm, probably the combat (so things like Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve even) but also the exploration and whimsical style. The leveling system was simple, but the spirit/spells system was neat.

I can't think of anything quite like Quest 64, probably because it's not a game worth copying, but have you played Legend of Mana? It's whimsical, open ended, and with a bunch of simple subsystems that let you build spells/weapons/items/death dealing robot buddies.

If you just want to nostalgia on a bad game try Ephemeral Fantasia!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dragon Age is one of the few games where running an all caster party is not only enjoyable but completely wrecks the game.

But if you really want to get all your frustrations out play some co-op Magicka. It's not an RPG per-se but if you ever want to feel like a bomb dropping wizard you literally turn monsters into red paste with negative energy rays.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Praetorian Mage posted:

I also picked up the first two Witcher games in a sale on GOG recently. How's magic in those games? I'm almost positive that pure mage isn't an option. That's fine, because the games look interesting enough on their own, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Magic isn't really a thing, you're a swordsman not a wizard. Although Geralt's signs are OP as gently caress and the fun of your spells is being a dick with them.

And on that note of European RPGs the Divinity series all have powerful casters as well. Divine Divinity gives wizards the single most game breaking spell (basically shoving spikes under the people's feet) and Original Sin was built around combining elements so you can grease a floor then set it on fire and so on. The same thing is done in the Dragon Age games but Original Sin takes it a step further by making practically every object have some kind of special property.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Returns is a fun detective story up until the very end when they whip out an annoying enemy the RPG property has been using to piss off players since the early 90s.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

Has anyone played PierSolar? How is it?

Mediocre at best. The worst aspects being terrible level design that puts map warps inside walls or connects towns with dungeons literally forcing you to backtrack through multiple monster ridden screens to get an item on the other side of the world. It's also one of those RPGs like the Tales series that locks stuff behind you with no provocation and the pacing is structured so that you just have to talk to the right people on the right screen to ever move forward.

If the game is meant to trigger nostalgia in the player then I have to agree it did its job. It reminded me of the days playing "off brand" RPGs like Brain Lord or Secret of the Stars. Just kicking myself because I'm forced to spend the weekend on this when I could have rented Final Fantasy instead.

I could praise the game as a work of art and love but the dev team and community built around it is pretty spiteful.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Now that I think about it Pier Solar reminds me of a demo from the early aughts in the RPG Maker community. It had a similar graphical style and a battle system about gathering power to unlock new moves to unleash. It was more of a proof of concept than any kind of game and I wouldn't be surprised if someone at Water Melon designed or was inspired by it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The two things I look for in an RPG are a) deep/engaging mechanics and b) quick, straight to the point gameplay. I don't end up playing many rpgs :(

What do you like then because those two requirements seem to conflict each other.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Only a couple times, and only Secret of Mana style where you can't progress unless you talk to one very specific NPC and it's like "who". If I'm remembering this right, you're gonna wanna bust out a walkthrough 1) when you're looking for Fila Del Fia, 2) when you're looking for Lombardia, and 3) if you're doing sidequest poo poo. Read the instructions really carefully because those walkthrough people are horrible at ordering their sentences.

It sounds bad, but honestly, the overworld is worse because, thanks to the whole desert theme, it's really easy to get lost even with the world map feature since everything looks exactly the same. The keywords are mostly there for lore.

The devs probably realized this and wisely gave the world map coordinates which any good FAQ will list. They're a godsend if you're using a guide to find remote areas of which there are a lot of late game.

"If you go northeast of this town somewhere in a plateau that looks the same as all the other plateaus 10km from a set of train tracks you missed is a village no one has talked about until now I hear."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Are there many 0 exp boss fights in WA3? I'm not made out of lucky cards to burn them without a guide.

I'm pretty sure analyze reveals that information. If gella and experience show up as "???" then the battle is probably a scripted no-win encounter but don't quote me on that, it's been a while. Of course you should be using mystic with the lucky cards so the effect applies to everyone.

Gella cards are completely different. They sell for something like 1500 apiece. You won't encounter a boss that will give you this much (even doubled) until near the end of chapter 2 and you can't mystic them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

To be specific, I'm talking about the two dungeon entrances to Niddhogg(?) where one was easy to miss if you had the camera turned at the wrong angle and could spend forever sailing in circles because a tan-on-brown standard definition world map isn't gonna show you that tiny canal you missed. I spent like a week looking for that drat thing as a teenager.

Big thing that stumped me was a secret exit in one of the dungeons that lead to a small patch of land (where the dragon couldn't land, of course) with one of those towers you needed to activate at the end of the game. I can't remember the specifics but the exit had to be bombed but due to the camera's position and the wall textures it was difficult to see the crack no matter the camera angle. Even with a guide it took me way too long to find that spot and you needed to do this to actually proceed with the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tales of Hearts R so far is the worst Tales game I've played (but I'm only a couple hours in). It feels like a budget RPG just in the way its structured and presented.

But it has ability points and a Christmas tree of skills and anime tropes and now you guys know the secret to selling me something.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know why but I still have some warm fuzzy feelings for games like that. Lagoon and Soul Blazer on the SNES had that design where your level made a huge difference and boss design depended on how quickly you could stun lock them in a sword attack.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Already own them... and Hatoful Boyfriend... but do I want any of these other anime games? Any playable JRPGs?

If you like Hatoful Boyfriend then check out Long Live the Queen AKA anime loli death simulator. I know that sounds creepy but trust me it's not creepy.

Island Nation posted:

Sorry for interrupting but I have a bit of confession to make regarding this genre:

I've pretty much neglected RPGs for almost all of years of gaming and I wanted to try to fix that this year after noticing the RPGs I've bought on sale over the last few years but never played.

What I wanted to do was go thru all the mainline SP Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games before the year was up. I've started (barely) on the first games in each franchise and plan to replace the DQ games with the Chrono series once it has been exhausted.

My question is this a fools errand or is there something to gain from this project?

Dragon Quest has strangely fared better than Final Fantasy as terms of updates go. Dragon Warrior 1-2 on GBC were updated specifically to cut down on grinding and difficulty by boosting the power of your spells, tweaking the stat gains when you level, and increasing XP and gold gain from enemies. The result are two very compact little RPGs whose only weakness is that they're very simple. DW can be completed in maybe 5-10 hours at most while the second game isn't much longer.

DW3 on GBC is a solid game through and through. It's probably the best aged RPG from the 8-bit era with all the balance tweaks from the first two games.

DQ 4-6 on DS are just plain good games. DQ5 is one of the freshest stories in RPGs period.

DQ7 is rough. It's unevenly paced, really repetitive, and long as poo poo. It's not a bad game but it's my least favorite DQ game even when talking about the originals.

DQ8 is a masterpiece. You must play this.

I only played a few hours of DQ9 but I liked what I played and will finish it some day.

As for Final Fantasy...

FF1 and FF2 are best experienced on the PSP. It's basically the Dawn of Souls remake with fancier graphics and a bonus dungeon. FF1 is bare bones as hell and it's way too long for such a simplistic game. FF2 has a really trashy and broken level system but it's a pretty short and easy game. I beat it on a weekend while paying half attention to something on Netflix.

FF3 on the DS/PSN is a remake and the only way to play the original is through a translation patch. FF3 introduces the class mechanics but it's a really terribly balanced game. You're going to get wrecked multiple times, it's so unfairly designed.

FF4 has two options, a DS remake and the PSP "complete" version which contains the original updated storyline and a brand new side story. Unfortunately the complete edition is UMD only, it's not available on PSN. I'm not a huge fan of FF4 because of weird balance issues. It uses the ATB but there's a timer attached to skills so even once you wait to choose an action you have to wait again before the action actually resolves. And everyone has skills that don't scale with level so prayer heals 100hp at level 1 and 100hp at level 50 it's dumb as hell. Still, this is the game that turned heads for its story and music. A lot of people swear by this game.

FF5 and FF6 are best with the GBA version. There are patches that restore the audio to the SNES versions. FF5 goes back to the class system as FF3. Enough has been said about FF6 I don't need to say anymore.

FF7-9 can all be had on PSN. Opinions vary wildly but I think all 3 are worth experiencing.

FF10 and X-2 have the HD remakes. FF10 is one of my personal favorites. X-2 is really silly but I love the class system and will recommend it to anyone else who enjoys it.

Ignoring the MMORPGs the last FF game I played was FF12 which is only on PS2 for some reason. I loving hated this game but a lot of people praise the International edition which changes the license grid to resemble classes from the class based games. There's a patch that uses the English data for the International edition and it's a pretty game on its own so it's a commonly emulated PS2 game.

Final Fantasy Tactics is a spin off but it's a must play. The PSP version fixes the translation and if you have an emulator or hacked PSP there's a patch which fixes slowdown issues.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 9, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There was a Shannara RPG/Adventure game in the 90s that was decent only because Legend Entertainment was behind it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

gently caress Goodkind and his Randian fantasy bullshit.

On the subject of RPGs based on books, anyone have any strong opinions on Return to Krondor? I played the poo poo out of Betrayal as a young creature and I've always been curious about the sequel.

It's a solid game. Ugly graphics but an above average CRPG.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The second most important thing about Vagrant Story beyond keeping one of each weapon type is risk management. Literally.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

It's a Matsuno game and he's never made a bad game.

:colbert:

Matsuno's departure was announced late in the game's development but I wonder if he had total control over the project how much of it would be different. My biggest annoyance with FF12 is that the plot wants to be something grand but never moves past a shonen action story. It reminds me of the Star Wars prequels where you have this big war and political maneuvering as stage dressing but the plot is straight up good guys fighting evil guys. FFT devolved into a generic evil-religion-demons-bullshit story but it always framed itself as a character drama (same with Vagrant Story to a lesser extent as there were like 5 named characters). FF12 wants to be heavy, it wants high stakes and drama but hell if I can remember anything about the story besides a villain with dumb hair.

SelenicMartian posted:

Wild Arms 3 is hilariously bad sometimes. They've got the basic engine for running, but then decided it was good enough for precise "platforming" between swings and rotating gears. Then they made 20 puzzles that involve pushing and dragging blocks, and no one thought that maybe having "dash forward" and "grab block" set on the same button is not a good idea when running off the puzzle area resets everything.

The best part so far was installing the biggest cannon onto the sand boat and one-shotting everything including the boss you're supposed to fight on it.
Clive critting regular bosses for a quarter of their HP was fun, too. I'll continue pumping cash into his gun's shot power.

It's such a mish-mash of odd mechanics. I like puzzle dungeons in RPGs but not when I'm fighting the camera and controls. Even with the second-long pause before you dash I'll have the camera in a position I can't see so I just bump into the block and fall off the edge. Most of those millennial puzzles were maddening for this reason.

By the time most of the world map opened I looked up a guide for the hidden treasures which got me enough avoidance-whatever ability that I could ignore most encounters.

Baby Babbeh posted:

Vagrant Story's mechanics aren't HARD, they're just obtuse, critical to dealing enough damage to handle most of the harder enemies, and the game makes zero effort to explain them at all. That coupled with the fact that most of us played it when we were like 11 and were expecting it to be more like Final Fantasy 7 means that a lot of people think it's harder than it actually is.

The final boss is pretty trash with his 1-hit-kill-unless-you-block-it-within-a-1-second-window.

But yes, replaying VS a few years ago and it wasn't as difficult as I feared. There's some terrible moments, like dungeons having 1 save point but with 2-3 bosses inside, and some wonky map design (dear game designers don't magically lock poo poo behind me, that's loving annoying) but it's not that difficult of a game.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 9, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

Really? In a thread full of JRPGs, and you think THIS is "dumb hair"?

It's like a combination of things that make me really hate his design. It's certainly not the worse offender by a long shot but for a realistically modeled human, in a position of power as emperor of a highly advanced kingdom, and in a game that's more or less among the most serious in its franchise, Vayne looks really dumb. Certainly not intimidating or villainous.

Seymour was dumb looking but so was nearly everyone else in FF10. It's a relative thing. If Vayne wore tight leather pants with a ruffled blouse and fought with an electric guitar I'd like him more.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sorry, the best hair is always facial.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

So do the older people in this thread find it very difficult to play these games? I imagine it must take a while to beat a RPG when you have a family.

Strangely I can't get anything done on consoles or PC but when it comes to portable games I put in just as many hours as I could in high school. I could have the same amount of time in the day to play video games but the ability to start and stop it at any point makes a world of difference in my playtime. My Vita and 3DS library are 90% RPG.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rascyc posted:

I like to call this the cutscene problem, or sometimes even the voice acting problem if I am feeling really compulsive. I have the problem where I just get really burnt out on games that are cutscene heavy when I just want to play the RPG portion, but I still don't like skipping cutscenes or voice acting cause ~IT'S PART OF THE EXPERIENCE~. Older games I can at least read at my very fast reading speed and skim the dumb parts.

I couldn't live without awkward goofiness in my Japanese RPGs. The terrible voice acting, the often meme filled localization, the stories that never progress beyond the same shonen archetypes that have been done to death for 40 years.

I think I appreciate the craftsmanship more than the final product. Currently playing through Akiba's Trip which is a mediocre Yakuza style game with pointless RPG mechanics but goddammit if I don't love how stupidly sincere it is. Not only did someone design this game, someone thought it was interesting enough to give a really good localization for a foreign audience and that makes me happy for some reason.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Erebus posted:

I just want them to make another Dark Cloud. :(

I'd say White Knight Chronicles is Level 5 mashing together everything they've been doing for 10 years mashed together.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

Speaking of Dark Cloud 2/Dark Chronicle, was there ever a point where the monster transformations were at all useful? I've completed the game a couple of times and not used them at all beyond the one required bit when they're introduced.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that you had to charge up Monica's magic spells for them to do full damage, too. I thought they were just poo poo.

Evolving them gives rare items but other than monster only challenges there's really no point because they all suck.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rogue Galaxy, Infinite Space, and Steambot Chronicles are all on the long list of interesting-but-flawed games I want to see remakes of.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've never hated a Level-5 game, AI warts and all. But I look at a Tales game then I look at any other RPG with AI teammates in a real time system and all I can ask is "why did nobody bother to steal this?" ToH R is starting to warm up on me. I still don't understand the timing behind the guard break, I just mash square when I hear that little noise, but being able to set up specific attacks under specific conditions is fantastic.

Nihilarian posted:

I can't think of a single thing that Dark Cloud 1 does better than Dark Cloud 2. The town-building stuff is so different that I can chalk that much up to different tastes, I guess.

I'd say brevity is Dark Cloud's greatest strength. DC2 crams in everything and the kitchen sink. It's like 4-6 hours to get through all the story and intro dungeon before you even reach the first town. Dark Cloud just blows up and the world and there you go, start playing the game.

All this Dark Cloud chat I'm probably going to dust it off tonight but I'll never replay the sequel even though it's a far better game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

Its story is so bare bones and simple that it largely stays out of the way, and I preferred getting the rewards for town building in the town itself rather than travelling to Future Town which is a rigid static layout that only expands out rather than shifts around to match the past town layout. Also I'll always prefer 60fps to 30fps. DC2 also overloads you on systems to the point where you can golf inside of dungeon floors

Having to search for the treasures was absolutely miserable. I recall one of the latter areas where you don't even have a town to build, they just unlock chests as you complete the story. So every time you reach a point in the dungeon you have to zap to the future and run around this huge map trying to hunt down tiny objects. You need a guide to keep your sanity.

And if you hate missing stuff then Dark Cloud 2 is the worst game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

In which dungeons? The ones with ditches running along the walls? The ones with unpredictable bouncing off angled walls?

I'm a spheda master. I can bounce balls across floating islands with my eyes closed.

I really wanted Monica in a leopard bikini.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Machine posted:

I'm excited for the upcoming EO x Mystery Dungeon game, but I was curious if there are any Mystery Dungeon games I should pick up before that comes out? I've got PC/PS3/Vita/Wii U/3Ds. It's the newest Pokemon MD worth getting?

Shiren on DS is really good. and there's also a Shiren game on Wii which I haven't played but heard it's suited for beginners to the genre as well as Chocobo Dungeon on Wii.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mokotow posted:

Dear RPG thread, is there a jRPG, classic or otherwise, for the iPad, you'd consider a must have?

Secret of Mana is often recommended. I don't know how true this is but supposedly the game uses assets (or is based off assets) from the canceled SNES CD version.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

So uhh.. couldn't you just emulate snes or whatever and play your Dragon Quests that way? I dunno what these ports offer other than warm fuzzies cause you threw cash in Squenix's empty coffer.

The only good versions of DQ1-3 are on the GBC. I haven't played the mobile ports but if DQ3 has all the improvements of the GBC version with better graphics then that's the definitive way to play it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sony is doing a 20th anniversary sale. Among the things discounted are basically every digital version of Final Fantasy, Chrono Cross, Dragon Age Origins, Disgaea 4, FF4 Complete Collection (I don't know when this dropped on PSN but this is the definitive FF4 buy buy buy), Persona 4 Golden, Persona 3 Portable, Tactics Ogre, Legend of Heroes, and Ys Felghana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've never played a Fire Emblem game but is it like Final Fantasy Tactics where story important characters are immortal until their plot is over or do they actually alter the story for dead characters?

Because I totally didn't care if people died permanently in FFT but if it's the other way around I sure as hell would be restarting the game.