Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

casual poster posted:

No it never said that I dont know what your talking about!
:smug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Console Parade posted:

For those who miss games like Fallout and Arcanum, I highly recommend following two indy titles: Age of Decadence and Dead State. Both are in development.
I can't believe that someone, in good conscience, recommended following an in development indy-game. Do you know how many projects get abandoned daily? It's the express lane to disappointment.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cool Cool Cool posted:

Speaking of charm, what are some other delightfully charming rpg's? The only one's I've ever liked enough to complete were Skies of Arcadia and Final Fantasy IX, if that gives any indication. I can play pretty much anything that isn't on PS3 or 360 or too new on PC.
Dragon Quest 8 was pretty charming, at least it was to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jesto posted:

It gets much, much harder as the game goes on. Particularly when you unlock the Tomb in NewGame+ mode.
I've never played this game so I can't really comment on anything else, but.

"This game is too easy!"
"Don't worry, it gets harder after you beat the game!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xythar posted:

Who makes them and how do they find the time, especially when entire developers have been scaling back their own RPGs these days presumably due to time and money constraints?
Indie RPGs: Sprites, no deadlines, no FMVs, doesn't really need to "appeal" to anybody, so there's no executive walking in halfway through development and going "Hey, this game is swell, but we need the protagonist to be in his late teens. K, later guys."
Console RPGs: 3d Models most of the time, Deadlines, FMVs most of the time, so on and so forth.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xythar posted:

How long do the people who make good indie RPGs usually spend on them?
It probably varies, but one of the indie RPGs linked in this thread mentions in it's FAQ that the guy who made it worked on it for 8 or so years, and I imagine that isn't too extreme of a case.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FF13 was a better game than DA2, bro.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ross posted:

I keep waiting the next Final Fantasy to have high-rez sprite-based graphics but in truth realize this will never be :gonk:
Why do you keep waiting for this? FF13 was downright beautiful at parts.

Granted, an RPG with BlazBlue quality sprites would be great, but FF as a series has had more 3D games than sprite-based games at this point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ross posted:

I'm just nostalgic is all, no real other reason.
Sprites don't mean the game'd be anything like the old FFs, though. And if they were High Resolution they probably wouldn't even be in the old game's sprite style.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Astfgl posted:

Here is another random question:

Why do so many JRPGs seem to use French for their naming conventions? Like the Atelier series or this La Pucelle thing or Recettear. Is it just a translation thing, or is it part of the actual Japanese game?

Also, I've never played a JRPG in my life except for 30 minutes of FFIV which wasn't to my liking. So I don't know if this phenomenon is more or less widespread than I imagine it to be, but it seems to crop up a lot and I've always been curious about it.
It's not really France so much as Europe in general. Some JRPGs use German, English, a couple use Russian, and some are some unholy mishmash. If I had to guess, it's due to wanting to keep the feeling of the game's world or setting being foreign.

EDIT: and yeah it's in the original Japanese game 99.9% of the time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

K-Flow posted:

Could someone recommend me an rpg with a fun battle system? I really liked Valkyrie Profile's battle system, it was actually fun to fight not a chore.
The Tales of series? It has the added benefit of most of the series being multiplayer too, in a way that actually works.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stelas posted:

Even with four skills equipped you can really get some very silly combos going.
And in Tales of Vesperia you have the shortcut system which lets you basically have 8 skills equipped, since the AI is usually smart enough that you don't need to tell them to do anything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ledneh posted:

That I didn't realize. That might help somewhat--I'd always assigned RS to other characters, I didn't even think of assigning it to Yuri. :(
Also also, remember that you don't HAVE to play as Yuri. You can switch your control to any other member of the party if you want. That can be a nice change of pace.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the Ar Tonelico games aren't the same kind of universe as the Atelier games at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm completely tolerant of anime, but man, I really can't stand the Ar Tonelico series. Or the Atelier series. Or anything Gust has ever made in their entire history. Everything they make has the same incredibly dull quality to them that make them a complete chore to play. Don't play Gust games.
Listen man, let's hear Dr. Video Games 0001's opinion. :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

VC2's core gameplay is fine but the maps feel cramped and the story's somehow turned into a terrible school anime. Even the generic characters with barely any dialogue are a lot less likable than the ones in the original.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Disgaea 3 is on Vita too, and Disgaea 4 will probably get a Vita port at some point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There was a grandia MMO in 2009, but it was only released in Japan. It also closed down in 2012.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

Archers are really, really good.
Archers are really good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The difference is FFVI at least unlocks all the battle mechanics a few hours in. It only takes like 5-6 hours to get to Espers, really.

40-some hours into FFXIII and it's still throwing tutorial boxes at you.

EDIT: Also most FF games are pretty linear until the very end. I'd say maybe FFVII is the most free-form one?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I never said FF6 didn't railroad you, just that it was way less restricting than FF13, and for less time. Part of that has to do with game length - you can 100% FF6 in the time it takes FF13 to open up - but still.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Where's my Dragon Quest 8 HD? :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Frankly, portable exact-opposite-of-HD DQ8 would also be fine by me. Especially if they rebalance the weapon skills a little - Eight's abilities were pretty balanced, but the other three party members all had at least one skill set that wasn't good for much.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FF6 isn't very popular in Japan, from what I remember, so a remake looks unlikely.

The best version is probably either the SNES original or the GBA port. The PS1 port can be downloaded onto your PS3, but it's, in a word, bad. It's got ridiculous load times.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

The GBA version has added optional content, but I recall it having some kind of issue. But I don't remember what it was.
They retooled the translation. It's probably a more accurate one, but it lost some of the charm of the original.

EDIT: Also the sales don't really mean much, it's more about the Japanese view of the games. The Japanese have a huge nostalgia boner for 4, like how the west has a huge nostalgia boner for 6.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The 'dreams' segments are probably the best part of the game. How are they really fanficcy? The protagonist is immortal, so he's had thousands of little incidental stories/adventures/whatever. The dreams segments are an optional backstory dump.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Now I'm curious to see what would have happened if Square continued to make Mario RPGs but took them in Kingdom Hearts' direction.
Super Paper Mario came pretty close, plot-wise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

I just looked it up and it looks like for battles they have just made interactive anime clips rather than create character models or anything like that. It looks terrible and anime as gently caress
It is literally an anime. Final Fantasy is an anime. All JRPGs are an anime. Everything you love is an anime. You, are an anime.

That said it does look like a pretty bad game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Everyone has fixed stat growths but I don't think the difference is *that* major. It's somewhat noticeable, but not so huge that the game is unwinnable if you make people what you want? Basch is always gonna be a worse Black Mage than everyone else, but if you make him a Black Mage he's still perfectly usable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Is mashing ATTACK > ENEMY > ATTACK > ENEMY really that interesting?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

DA:O's graphics were a loving offense to humanity.
Does anyone have that gif of Alistair's head turning into a giant purple beast and flying towards the camera? That was my favorite graphical glitch in any game ever.

And for an actual post - how do the transfer mechanics in Valkyrie Profile 1 work, exactly? I've played the game before and gotten the best ending, but I've still never fully understood the mechanic. Is there a guide out there that explains it comprehensively?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I see about the Transfer stuff. I figured for most of that, I just wasn't sure if there was anything deeper going on.

Also, what sick bastard decided that the guy you have to sacrifice for the best ending should be ridiculously good? Lucian has trouble not creating millions of gems and crystals.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'Material Trader' is the most boring name for a game I can possibly imagine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

"Stuff Doer." Well, maybe that's not quite as boring. At least it implies that there is stuff and you're doing it.
'Stuff' could be anything, and 'Do' could be anything. Blowing up a T-Rex would be 'Stuff' that you are 'doing.'

Material Trader is just that. You are trading materials. Even if the materials are illicit drugs, that's pretty drat boring.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Levantine posted:

the dialog is a bit on the stiff side
Can't speak for VP2, but in Valkyrie Profile 1's case, the stiff dialogue has its moments. Mostly in Badrach's recruitment.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Basically all I want out of the PS4 is Valkyrie Profile 3: Hrist.
I would buy a PS4 upfront if that was announced. Covenant of the Plume wasn't bad at all, but Valkyrie Profile 3: Some Dude You've Never Heard Of Also it's a SRPG Now wasn't what I wanted.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The acting in VP2 is a little weaker except for Liam O'Brian's Lezard Valeth who is pretty great. The Japanese voice actor for Lezard is better but that isn't really a fair competiton because Takehito Koyasu's performance is absolutely out of the park good. Either way they're the actor who steals the show.
And O'Brien at least keeps up in the maniacal laughter race.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also keep in mind that Sakura Wars is like 80% dating sim and 20% SRPG. I found it enjoyably goofy, but fair warning.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

I don't know why this is a complaint for so many people. Go play some Touhou or whatever but don't pan a game just because it isn't hard enough for you.
If a game's too easy, then the gameplay gets kind of boring. That's a legitimate complaint, though obviously it varies from player to player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also as bullet hell shooters go Touhou is among the easier. :v: