Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

SomeChump posted:

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden: One of the best freeware RPGs around in terms of game mechanics and production values, it would still be an entertaining game with a vanilla plot. What makes this special though is the consistently excellent humour. Set in the Post-Cyberpocalypse caused by the incredibly destructive b-ball technique the 'chaos dunk' which destroyed the city of New York, it follows former b-ball star Charles Barkley and his son Hoopz in his quest for redemption and protect his son from the fascist state forces led by collaborator Michael Jordan. It is absolutely ruthless in its parodies of jRPG conventions and internet culture including an underground village of furries, a plastic surgery full of anime cosplayers, unexplained allusions to Christian mythology, save points which rant about the superiority of Japanese videogames (all real, copied from forums) and all presented completely straight faced. It's the best freeware game I've played outside of Cave Story.

There were quite a few callbacks to in-jokes; for example, the broke gambler is one of the game's developers, the turkey fur's portrait was a drawing of the author's "fursona" (he lied about being a furry on some fur message board and managed to get one of them to draw a sketch; the original story fell off the internet, shame because I wanted to reread it, but the picture lives on in Barkley), though the game suffers from a distinct lack of Dilbert.

Nathilus posted:

One freeware series I really enjoyed was The Way. Warning. This link contains an ad that blasted me with music. http://rpgmaker.wikia.com/wiki/The_Way

That game had a good library of music shamelessly ripped from a variety of sources (such as The Musashi Legend, which it puts to very good use :black101:) I make it a point to copy the intro midi from Episode 1 to the custom track slot for Episode 6's tournament sidequest, it just feels right. Pity the plot fell apart at the very end :lost:.

While it's a simple fact that you can't win a single plunge in Episode 1 because your stats are so bad and the opponents are veterans, it is possible to win Episode 2's tournament if you're lucky.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Thuryl posted:

Exit Fate is basically a Suikoden game with the serial numbers filed off. If you like the Suikoden series you will like it.

Seconding this, Exit Fate is the best Suikoden clone I've ever played. It has a different style than the original Suikoden and could arguably be a better game depending on your personal taste.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Miijhal posted:

I recommend browsing RPGmaker.net, and searching for the lowest rated games. It's great for finding terrible poo poo, like Escape From Middle School, Cod: Nazi Zombies, and the barely started, but "grafikally" intense Suteki. I've personally played the latter two, and I can vouch for their terribleness.

Which reminds me that I need to play Manos: Hands of Fate RPG.
For really bad RPG Maker games that aren't on RMN, grab the Laxius Power series. Needlessly long dungeons, terrible writing and a shitload of misogyny.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Avernum, especially the remake that just came out, is probably the most open and explorable title you can get from Spiderweb Software right now. Not even kidding. I know I point to Avadon being a good starter title, but if you just want a full-on game where you make some characters and find their place in the already-established world, get Escape from the Pit ASAP.

I am pretty sure that Avernum 4-6 are on an engine that runs fine in modern OSes, which is why they've just been added to Steam without a remake.

Just beat the remake yesterday after ten years of shareware demos, it really hit that open world RPG sweet spot. I was kind of sad to see the dungeons and quests run out at the end, but it felt good finally beating it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Atlus should sell off their unused IPs anyway. I'd love it if someone made a new Steambot Chronicles game.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

the only problem with using nintendont on a wii u is it doesnt have the gamecube ports. you can use one of those adapters but they don't support some of the more obscure accessories like the gba link cable

I wish Nintendo had a better track record with peripherals. So many doohickeys that only got two or three games before abandonment.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm getting pissed off at Age of Decadence's artificial difficulty. The devs claim it's because they don't want the character being overpowered like in similar RPGs but it plays out as mandatory min/maxing. Well, you don't have to, it's possible to just speedrun to the end but that kind of defeats the whole point of playing through the actual quests.

HGH posted:

I feel a need to post pictures of butz.

So anyone got a clue what this Dissidia thing is shaping up to be?

Nice Butz.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

ROMs really are the best way to play the SNES games in particular unless you're willing to dig out old hardware and pay new game prices for used carts.

I remember that glorious period during the N64 and early Gamecube era where SNES carts were dirt cheap. I still have my copies of Chrono Trigger and Lufia 2, though I have to emulate the latter because of the graphical glitches in places like the Dual Blade shrine.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Risen 1 is cool but the endgame is kind of a slog. It's a good idea to stop when you get the quests to gather the endgame weapon and armor and just YouTube the final boss.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Has anyone played that AntharioN game on Steam? I was wondering how it compared to the Ultima games.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Did Bethesda ever patch out the alchemy + enchanting exploit? I hope not because it's not really Elder Scrolls without alchemy abuse.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Grozz Nuy posted:

A new top-down OB game (I love LUCT of course, but SRPGs are so much more common than games that play like core series Ogre Battle) is my white whale, Square Enix holds the rights and even still employs most of the key people from Quest! :sigh:

Someone there still cares about the franchise, they wouldn't have made a Final Fantasy 14 dungeon that was a tribute to Tactics Ogre's Place of the Dead if it was completely forgotten. Maybe someday we'll get actual games for the series.

chumbler posted:

I have just realized a fatal flaw with trying to play Atelier Sophie.

It wants me to use items. I don't know if I can handle doing that in a jrpg. I might need them later!

lol

I assume you're partially joking (and I know that feeling all too well) but items of quality will generally last longer than the duration of a gathering trip and after a relatively short amount of progress into the story you'll unlock a service that refills your equipped items' uses whenever you return to town, so no more worrying about wasting a particularly good item. Treat AS items like Dungeons and Dragons' vancian spell preparation only not poo poo and actually way overpowered once you get good at making them.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

i like atelier sophie. why do people dislike this game its v chill

:agreed:

I enjoy it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Think I'll stick with my old /GU discs. I was partway through game two when I quit playing and feel like I might as well pick up where I left off.

I think the best part of the games was all the fake forum posts while logged out. Who doesn't enjoy ωRICE's rants about people calling him Butt RICE?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

I'm sort of wondering why anything .hack-related is being remastered in the first place, let alone brought stateside. Thought the property was pretty much dead.

Probably trying to compete with SAO and Log Horizon.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Endorph posted:

then again baba made a game about chopin so

Chopin's fever dreams about excessive taxation on bread.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

FF7, 9 and 10 are definitely still worth playing and the Steam ports are fine.

7 has a largely unchanged early PS1 translation which isn't great though. And pretty rough graphics.

You forgot 8. 8 owns.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

They were intentionally aiming for a Phantasy Star look and I feel they nailed it.

How is it compared to their older crappy games?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Your Computer posted:

videogames.png :whitewater:

In unrelated events, I was looking through DS rpgs to see if there was something I should add to my list of games to play and I came across Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (a game I had completely forgotten existed). Now, I know goons hate the Golden Sun games but I enjoyed the first two so I decided to check it out.... good lord the tutorial goes on for like an hour and it's so bad. Player control taken away to explain the most basic stuff ("Here's how equip an item") painfully slowly, and then a whole bunch of "Do you know how to do X? Yes. Okay but here's the tutorial anyway in case you're lying." :downsgun:

At one point the game gives you an obstacle and presumably expects you to turn back, but if you instead solve it the tutorial interrupts you and goes "Good thinking, but you probably didn't know what you were doing so let us tell you how to [do the thing you just did]."

I'm in shock at how bad this is and I just had to vent, sorry :negative:

I liked the GBA ones well enough but Dark Dawn was complete garbage. You know the initial plot hook, those ominous holes of darkness? Completely forgotten after the tutorial, only showing up after you beat the final boss as a TO BE CONTINUED that never will be. I don't remember anything about the plot except a bunch of people you meet turn out to be jerks and there's light and shadow mechanics that show up near the end, that's how forgettable it was.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Caphi posted:

And here I thought the only thing anyone knew about that show anymore was

That and,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-F_I-ebcg

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Looks like The Gate of Firmament is on sale for $4.49.

Who was it that was playing that and posting here? Did it turn out to be actual garbage or fun garbage?

I played half an hour of it last time it was on sale, seemed like a generic RPG.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

... what the poo poo is even going on in that box art.

Ask Axemaniac.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Tae posted:

Do not play Divinity 1. 2 is set like thousands of years after, there's no relation.

Divine Divinity is such a clunky old game.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

4e removed half the alignments so gently caress that poo poo.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Raxivace posted:

This thread should last forever IMO.

Or at least for a few thousand pages when the thread breaking bug finally hits.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

.hack//GU was always impossible to take seriously because they have these big, emotional talks about...MMO drama, grinding, and getting PvPed for a slight exp and item loss. They scream like they're in actual, physical pain when their characters take damage and continually switch between talking like nerds playing an MMO and talking like they literally are their characters.

I love it. Moon Tree is a bunch of angry babies we'd probably troll relentlessly in real life.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Did they fix the exploit in the motorcycle maps of GU part 2?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

The best part about that guy is that that's Salvador Aihara's character.

Reported for doxxing.

GulagDolls posted:

i love the fake forums in dothack

The dothack writers really know how to write forum posters. ωrice complaining about people getting his name wrong is classic.

Speaking of fake forums, there was a new Monstergeddon update on SA's frontpage.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

You know how much work that hairdo requires? Better have it armored, for protection.

How much product would that even take if it wasn't just an MMO character model?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dehry posted:

PSO 2 segment is announcing a live concert.

Let me know when they announce an official English release.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

I hated how Artea didn't join until near the end of the game. Like a quarter of Lufia 1 is spent on the road to find him so he can give you hot tips for fighting the bad guys, but then you play Lufia 2 and he's a total nonentity.

After Dekar, everything is a downgrade.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Agean90 posted:

the best pokemon alike was robopon 2 #deepcuts

They followed up a generic pokemon-like with something weird and amazing.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Verranicus posted:

Post your favourite JRPG. No lists or franchises. Pick one.

Suikoden 2.

Chrono Trigger

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Tae posted:

Brave exvious is the worst of the ff mobile games

Gameplay's ok but they're really anti-consumer.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I liked TWEWY's puck mechanic once I got it down. Taboo noise really forces players to get good at it and that's a good thing overall.

Stay safe music man. :(

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

We had individual threads for each game when they came out but the most recent one was 3 years ago

Have any good mods come out since then? They played up their mission designing tools as a selling point but I have no idea if anything's actually come of them.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah right now the only competitors really are Origin (which is almost exclusively EA games) and GoG (which is ran by assholes)

I'm out of the loop, what did GoG do?

Also there's itch.io which is decent and run by cool people.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

YIIK reminds me of The Demon Rush series, what it could've been if they had an actual budget and staff.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

DrManiac posted:

I'm playing travis strikes again and I cracked up when I saw YIIK as one of the shirts you can buy.

Travis leans up to a YIIK poster, softly whispers "Lemonade".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I don't remember scythe lady.