Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'll second Jesto's post. I've gotten most of the way through Last Scenario and it's a ton of fun and does have that early Final Fantasy vibe to it. It's also far and away the hardest RPG I've ever played, so if you want a challenge pick it up. I didn't get through much of Exit Fate but not for lack of interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Oh my GOD Last Scenario's mini game is loving lovely. Why yes I love the FF9 system of you lose the game oyu lose cards haha YOU DONT HAVE ENOUGH TO PLAY

loving DIE

Pretty much this. I played one game, got my rear end handed to me without even realizing what I did wrong, and never played again. I know you can get prizes for trading in certain cards, and I think there's an optional boss if you collect every card in the game, but gently caress that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Pork Roll posted:

Can someone recommend to me a single player pc rpg that is:

- party/turn based (I'm thinking like wizardary, final fantasy or maybe even eye of the beholder style)

- basically just a random level dungeon crawler. I could care less about story. Just give me a hella difficult never ending dungeon that scales in difficulty as my party progress. (I'm thinking like a rogue like here except party based)

If you're down for Infinity Engine maybe Icewind Dale II? At the very least I know the focus of that game is purely in the combat.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Gilg posted:

I've got an itch for a traditional class-based RPG, preferably for the DS but possibly also Wii or PC. I'd like one where you "master" classes fairly often and then move on to others. Like Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea without the tactical aspect or Dragon Quest 9 but with more frequent "class mastering". I might be forgetting how it plays, but I think Final Fantasy X-2 is the most recent example of that type of game that I've played.

Easiest to find would probably be the Final Fantasy III remake for the DS, methinks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

U.T. Raptor posted:

I beat Blue Dragon recently, it was pretty cool. Easy as hell aside from a handful of super-powerful enemies I didn't feel like grinding up to gently caress with, though (even the regular optional bosses were easy as hell, aside from the stone dinosaur and that loving poison ghost tree)...

And who doesn't love a game with a boss theme so ridiculous it loops back around to being loving awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUjxPj3al5U

Holy poo poo it's Shut Up And Jam :stare:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Doc Hawkins posted:

Just gonna say it: I am in literal disbelief that people actually buy and use strategy guides.

I bought the BradyGames guide for Tales of Symphonia just because there's so much extra stuff in that game and it was a pretty well-made guide. I want to say I bought it after beating the game at least once though I'm not sure. At any rate, that was the last one I ever bought because these days you can find all that stuff for free with minimal effort.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

niggapolis posted:

the funny thing about the bad voice acting in baten kaitos is that it was intetional. its a pretty weird mechanic were the closer the relationsip between the main character and the spirit thing (ie you, the player) the better it sounds to simbolyze you being closer to the human world or something like that.

Wait really? If you turn on Surround sound in the game's Options the "tin can" effect goes away. I never knew it served a purpose :psyduck:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ice Phisherman posted:

I've played a huge number of RPG's. I'm currently looking for a modern day RPG, preferably PC platform. I just got done with the Witcher 2 and as fun as that was, I'd like to try something with less swords and magic.

I've already played games like this before: Persona Series, Vampire the Masquerade, Earthbound 1 and 2, Deux Ex (kinda), Alpha Protocol, Jagged Alliance, Shenmue, etc.

Am I missing anything in particular or have I pretty much exhausted them all?

You try any of the Fallout games? No swords OR magic there and they're very well regarded.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Also, I distinctly remember Baten Kaitos having an option buried in the menus to turn off voice acting, which I used for however long I was playing the game until I had to return it to Blockbuster.

If memory serves, you have to switch to Surround sound in the game's options, which eliminates the echo for some reason :eng101:

It's definitely a worthwhile title but being on the Gamecube and having terrible voice acting hurt its appeal. The game is absolutely gorgeous (maybe the best looking Gamecube title), has a really great soundtrack (as a brass player I find it almost :fap:-worthy) and the combat system is one of the most fun I can think of.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Making my way through a bunch of random 3DS demos ahead of its eShop closing down, and I'm currently playing something called 7th Dragon III Code: VFD, which seems fun enough but is something I've never heard of. What's the cool stuff in this game that would separate it from the several other jRPGs/turn-based RPGs that I own but not played?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Leraika posted:

there's a class that's basically Yu-gi-oh protagonist and another that straight up hacks enemies.
you can date anyone, including your randomly generated party members, as a character of either gender.
it's a teenagers with super powers v. the world story that didn't bore me to tears?????

If you've played Etrian Odyssey it shares a lot of the same DNA.

EO4 is one of the aforementioned jRPGs that I need to play, which of these is better?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah I played the EO4 demo and liked it quite a bit, but that was almost four years ago and I forgot everything :v: Probably just gonna roll with that regardless.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Does anyone here know if your Streetpass data in Bravely Default (the first one) is saved on a system level, or if it's saved on a per-file basis? Would be pretty happy to have all of my little Streetpass village dorks available in the event that I want to replay this game which I haven't actually beaten yet

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

RareAcumen posted:

https://twitter.com/FenixPJ/status/1502086690139086849

Can't believe they meet because their bro crystals resonate with each other

Final Fantasy: JO Crystal Chronicles

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Missed Bravely Default chat on the last page, I've been (very) slowly playing through the first game and wishing that I didn't have such bad class ADD in these types of games. But it takes so loooooong to level these dang things up!

Also, does anyone know if Streetpass information is saved on a system level or a file level for this game? If I ever decide to start a new file in this game it'd be nice to have all of my little dorky villagers.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ace Transmuter posted:

I think I remember the StreetPass stuff carrying over.

Once you hit mid-late game grinding out class levels is both quick and easy

Oh for sure, but there's some formula by which each character's combat stats are calculated that really favors you going deep into one or two classes rather than having a few levels in a bunch, so I'm getting beat up a bit because my part is underleveled in terms of class. Yes I know it's my own dang fault!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Big Atlus/Sega sale on the 3DS eShop for the next couple of weeks. Etrian Odyssey, Shin Megami Tensei etc.

What's the best SMT game on the eShop for someone who's never played the series before?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Junpei posted:

I'm trying to recall games in which you had characters who could equip multiple weapon types that didn't have some sort of skill tree system that made using multiple weapon types unfeasible until the endgame when you had enough points to max everything (Dragon Quest 11, EO, etc).

Most games are either that, or "Everyone has only 1 (one) weapon type they can use-some characters might share types and can use the same weapons as each other, but you can't have Rean use Jusis' fencing swords".

Golden Sun is the first one that comes to mind.

Edgar in Final Fantasy VI can use both swords and polearms, but most players will never discover that because why wouldn't you just use the Tools command all the time?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What RPGs go simple with the stats, and which go overboard?

Something simple like Ys only has the three (HP, STR, DEF) while something tactical and nerdy like Jagged Alliance 2 has 11, not including skills, on a 100 point scale.

I think this is a little different from how other posters have interpreted "simple", but I've always appreciated how the various Mario RPGs have kept their star numbers relatively low, especially HP and MP which don't seem to go above 100 until the endgame.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I remember reading a Nintendo Power article for something for Aiden (Aidyn?) Chronicles: the First Mage, which IIRC was supposed to be an adaptation of a pen-and-paper RPG system on the N64? It looked ugly even by N64 standards and overly complicated, and I don't think I've heard anyone ever talk about it.

That being said I remember liking Quest 64 at the time, or at least finding it engaging enough. But by I was getting my RPG fix on other Nintendo platforms at the time :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

This one is goon-made and there was an LP of it a decade-ish ago, I remember it looking pretty neat even if you can trace a lot of it back to Suikoden II-
https://lparchive.org/Exit-Fate/ (character spoilers if you scroll too far down)

I had meant to play it myself after enough time had passed that I forgot the specifics of the LP. Do you think 11 years is long enough? :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Been scooping up RPGs on my 3DS as that digital store is getting sunsetted, help me prioritize what to play-

Bravely Default 1 (been chipping away at this for a while)
Etrian Odyssey IV
Crimson Shroud
Fire Emblem Awakening
Kingdom Hearts DDD
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
Dragon Quest VIII if I can figure out how to put a larger SD card in this thing?

E: Also something called a "Culdcept Revolt" which is $5 until tomorrow and not a huge download, so I might just grab it for funsies. I think it's an RPG?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 7, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't know anything about any of those but did you get all the SMT games for it? Since you have EO on there I'd assume so but the 3DS SMT games are the best in the franchise, IMO.

I never got a consensus from the goon hivemind on which 3DS title was The One To Get, so I didn't get any of them :( Also SMTIV would have eaten up all of the remaining space on my memory card, when I finally get off my butt and buy a larger card I will take another look at the series on there.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi I'm still playing Stella Glow and just got through chapter 3 and wow Nonoka is just terrible and I hate that she is definitely going to be very useful in battles.

I played the demo of that as part of my ongoing 3DS exploration, and I kind of enjoyed the gameplay despite being a big baby when it comes to tactics games like Fire Emblem. However, the point at which the demo ends (when your village is wrecked and you're conscripted into the royal army) might as well have involved a giant banner reading "it's about to go Full Waifu up in here". How waifu-y does it get beyond that point?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
During the intro/demo chapter, I told the childhood friend to believe in herself and the game told me that was the wrong dialogue option. And as we all know, there's nothing more attractive than self-confidence :colbert: Maybe think about that if you want me to buy into your relationship mechanics!

If the relationship stuff is secondary and not too awkward then maybe I'll give it another look, but like I said I've got a lot of other stuff to get through on this thing so I'm being pretty choosy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Going through my 3DS backlog and trying to figure out how to spend the last few dollars in my eShop account, is any of the DLC for the 3DS Radiant Historia worth picking up? Worth noting that I have not actually played the game yet :v:

Also I ain't touching any of this '00s XPlay stuff because it's gross as hell, but since a Baten Kaitos Origins review was the first thing I saw on this topic I feel obliged to say that the BK games kick rear end and it's probably worth picking up the remaster bundle on Switch if you haven't played them before, and also like deck battlers with really wild art direction. Too bad they couldn't get the rights to the English VO (or were too cowardly to remind people of the VO from the first game)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Anyone here play any of the Mercenaries Saga games on 3DS? They're on sale until tomorrow and at a quick glance look like competent-enough tactics RPGs, was thinking about taking a flier on one before the shop shuts down.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
"Serviceable enough" works for me, thanks. Now to see how much money I'll have left over from FE Awakening DLC...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Finally putting some meaningful time into Bravely Default 1 after staring at it for years. I'm in chapter 3, and are the random encounters supposed to feel more mindful than JRPGs past or am I just not abusing the Job and/or Brave System hard enough?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bongo Bill posted:

If I remember correctly, chapter 3 is when it starts paying off to play very aggressively, but you don't yet have access to the ingredients that can make the ability combos really start popping off. You should always be on the lookout for ways to abuse the system, however.

Yeah, I can start to see the sicko stuff materializing. My problem with these Final Fantasy V-likes is that I just never know if expects me to go deep on one or two classes per character or really spread them out, so I always seem to end up grinding a bunch of class levels that end up mostly worthless. Plus in BD your character's stats rely heavily on their current class level, so if I want to grind up new classes on everyone I have to do it kind of piecemeal; switching them all up at once is a great way to get my rear end beat.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Still chipping away at Bravely Default the First One, and lol how does Red Mage just automatically get Revenge? This skill has bailed me out of multiple boss battles, like sure I'll take an extra round of healing just because you hit me once, fair's fair.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Schwarzwald posted:

Bravely Default is maybe the strongest Red Mage has ever been. I love it; it's so bullshit.

Yeah it rules, I've been loosely sticking to 2 physical + 1 magic + 1 flex/support character but I'll probably run the physical gang up the Red Mage tree when I get a chance.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Overlord K posted:

That and it was time of being a kid where I'd rename everyone in RPGs that let you after people I knew and inevitably some girls were named after ones I had real life crushes on.

OK good that wasn't just me lol. Though when characters had default names I always stuck to those (and still do)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Someday I will go back and finish Xenoblade 1, it's only been.............probably close to a decade since I put regular time into it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Finally at a point in Bravely Default 1 where I feel strong relative to random encounters, only took [checks clock] 35 hours?

Also I just spent half of my gold because I finally found a merchant with level 4 magic, who also happened to have a bunch of equipment upgrades :feelsgood:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
"It's been a long day, I think I'll do this fight in Bravely Default 1 to unlock Salve-Maker and then call it a night"
[30 minutes later]
"Boy I hope this job is worth a poo poo"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Last Celebration posted:

Salve-Maker is pretty great, also it’s basically the key to quickly leveling up or getting lots of JP/gold.

Oh good, because that fight suuuuucked. I took a break in the middle to shower it was such a slog lol

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Endorph posted:

lmao what the hell is with sony

This game is like a decade old, is this a new port?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I wish the random encounters in Bravely Default 1 were, like, 10% easier. The default encounter rate is fine but the enemies are just strong enough to make them feel like a hassle, I'm in Underflow right now and the group Fira + Silence ability that the Flare Lanterns have is the strongest trash mob move I've seen in quite a while.

Wondering if it's too much menu fiddling to set the game difficulty to Easy when I'm wandering around and then dialing it back up to Normal for bosses, I'm coming up on 40 hours of playtime and it feels like I still have so far to go. Kind of just want to speed things along at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Clarste posted:

After a point I just turned off random encounters entirely and got by on boss experience only. It was fun.

Yeah, maybe I'll just cut the encounter rate in half and see how that feels. If nothing else I feel pretty OK on the Jobs front and I've had to do very little JP grinding.

It wouldn't be so bad if there was some sort of Tent/Cottage item, for a game that's very purposefully apeing the era of Final Fantasy being discussed right now that feels like an oversight to omit those.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 24, 2023