Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I will never stop plugging tales games. So here, have a recommendation for Tales of the Abyss: Good plot Better plot than Tales of Symphonia! If there's something annoying all the Tales games fall for, it's the terminology. Just count the things that work with Fonons in this game, or Mana in Symphonia, or Blastia in Vesperia. Otherwise it's pretty cliched but enjoyable. Interesting characters Less idiotic characters than Tales of Symphonia! Some say the main character is annoying, but I find him pretty good. Although at least two of the big reveals would be avoided if some party members didn't keep their mouths shut. Legimately good battle system! It's basically a combination of fighter and RPG, though really light on the fighter part, as you don't really need skills to pull the moves off. The battles are mostly 2D, and you assign skills to a button + different directions.

Once again I find it difficult to explain why I love these games, because they're really quite mediocre. Maybe it's the battle system. Maybe it's nostalgia, as Symphonia was my first RPG. I still say everyone should try this out given the possibility. Also, heavy-handed suspension of disbelief is required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The sure-fire method is to play the game four times :downs:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Bats posted:

I'm kinda in the mood for heavy story/light grinding style RPGs.

Pick a PS1 JRPG, any PS1 JRPG. FFIX for example, I don't ever recall having to grind.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh man, I've been playing DQV (I'm at the third act now) and I gotta say, it has the best story. It really makes you care for these characters. Also, everything is done "in-engine" which raises immersion through the roof - the scene at the end of act 1 where your father gets brutally beaten down, in the battle system itself, is a highlight.

The only thing I can't stand is the traditional DQ grinding before every boss. Thankfully I can cheat my way past that with an exp multiplier. I figure if I'm just gonna do the same thing over and over, why not speed it up?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Huh, I guess I didn't miss out on anything good when I got bored with DQVII. It was my first experience with DQ, too. I played through the intro (goddamn 2-hour intro where NOTHING happens :argh:), got to the first battle, and it was a bunch of stupid-looking slimes and nothing was even animated (I was conditioned by modern FFs by this point). I never looked at it again. Luckily IX came out on the DS and was sufficiently FF-ized so I could play it. You could even see your dudes!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I tried Radiant Historia and got maybe three hours in. I don't know what it is, but it didn't grab me, at all. I couldn't even have been bored with JRPGs, since soon after I picked up DQV and Chrono Trigger and am well over 30 hours combined into them. I just... the premise was interesting, but they didn't seem to do anything really interesting with it right at the start, and the battle system felt like busywork rather than strategy. I just don't know.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You are a person! You go into a dungeon! You fight battles and sometimes leve up!

Yeah, not really as far as I know.

E: I guess I didn't play far enough.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ragequit posted:

Xenoblade, Last Story, and something else.

(Just joking don't worry.)

Joking? It really does mean Xenoblade, Last Story, and Pandora's Tower.

Is there really any reason for america not getting Xenoblade if it's already localized anyway?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I can somewhat understand US-to-EU, since most big european countries want the game in their own language, which would take lots of time and money. But EU to US? There's absolutely no reason at all beyond "well i don't think it's gonna sell"

Well okay there's also the things Doc Hawkins just explained above

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Naky posted:

If they release a Zelda tomorrow and then you ask them when or what the next Zelda game will be, they'll say the same thing that it's not planned or in the works... when you know goddamned well that there's another Zelda planned.

I'm pretty sure Miyamoto has gone on record saying they're always thinking about what to do with the next Zelda and Mario. Otherwise fair point, though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^^ I don't like doing this since there's usually tons of dialogue that's not subbed (like contextual shouts in battle) and you'll miss out on it. Of course if it's unbearable anyway...

Rasamune posted:

Have you played the first Kingdom Hearts? As silly and incomprehensible as the plot is, the action and combat are pretty solid.

Also Kingdom Hearts 2, though that should be obvious. For me, ever since I played 2, 1 has felt very clunky. The combat in 1 is much less flashy and you have very little attacks, mainly relying on more stats, magic and passive skills for damage. In 2 you get tons of contextual attack abilities like "use this if the enemy is in front of you in the air" or "far away from you on the ground" etc. The animations are also lots better. There is also the fair complaint that this, combined with reaction commands (like QTEs but really easy to execute), steal all strategy away from the combat and make you just mash X and triangle since you'll just do all the right moves anyway. Didn't bother me.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I wanted to like Baten Kaitos, but the game didn't like me. At some point in the story, you get sent to a dungeon with no way back and only a red save point, which means you can't level up (you level at blue savepoints). The game doesn't give you any warning of this. Guess what happened when I went in underleveled? The boss was completely impossible to beat. Haven't had much drive to play it ever since.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

3D Budgie posted:

Ni no Kuni confirmed for America!

Here's hoping that we'll be getting more console JRPGs next year.

But does it come with the book?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^^ Dunno bout a thread, but there's always this.

Ashekaban posted:

The SO series itself just has a ton of super great ideas, that have been shown very well, and very bad at different times.

Battle System : Is a hybrid MMO/TurnBased way of doing it. When i saw this in so2 it sold me on it.
Crafting : The crafting in the game is unbelievable, but they went a little to overboard with just how broken they are in 4.
Party Members : Albeit most of the members are just ridiculous, The ability to actually interact and make choices that will affect not only how you are in battle with them, but how you end up.
Storyline : The story's albeit ridiculous, have an excellent catalog of back story, which is what makes them such a good catch. Each one bases parts off the others, and you can find the little things that are all around whether through books, or in the scenery/data-library.

Have you played the Tales series? The peeps who made the first tales game split, and some of them formed tri-ace, which now makes Star Ocean. What I'm saying is the series have a lot in common, especially in the battle system. Although I think they've drifted apart further with time.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Baten Kaitos Origins. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (I heard it was good, never played). Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (What the white dragon is referring to). LotR: The Third Age (A FFX knockoff). Some people like the pokemon games (Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness), but I wouldn't recommend them unless you're a fan. And that's pretty much it. Really, the whole list is shamefully short.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Disregard. Missed a page.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

casual poster posted:

I hope you just mean this generation!

:pcgaming1:

Tales is definitely not a fighting game, but it would be kinda stupid to call it uninvolved. If you're mashing buttons you're doing it wrong (Unless it's the beginning of the game and you only have one attack (and the CC based games like Graces fixed this one))

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

rizuhbull posted:

I have a question for you loveless nerds. Everytime I sit down to play a JRPG, after about five minutes, I'm falling asleep. I don't feel bored. I mean I'm having fun, and I want to continue playing but it gets hard to keep at it when you can't concentrate or focus.

This only happens with JRPGs it seems. Dark Souls (It's japanese, I know), Sacred 2, Avadon, all can be played fine. But as soon as I load my save for Tales of the Abyss or Persona 4, I want to take a nap. Have ADD shooters made me expect instant gratification?

Yes.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Rap Music and Dope posted:

Combat is boring though its just like choose attack and watch numbers so you know when to heal. Cool story though and I figured its one of the classics so why not.

If you're more than two hours into the game, you're doing this wrong. Use techs! Use dual techs! Watch the positioning! All bosses and some enemies have a gimmick that makes beating them easy and/or actually possible, pay some attention to the battles rather than mashing dat a button.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Chrono Trigger is definitely piss easy. This partly why I could not watch the Giant Bomb Endurance Run, because because watching a group of "professional" gamers constantly dying in Chrono Trigger is possibly the most pathetic thing I've ever seen in a video game.

Professional in the sense that they make money off of it, yes. But do you have to be good at Video Games to write/make videos about them? They're entertaining and that's what matters.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^^^^ The best Ys game is actually Zwei II. Too bad it'll never be translated and the fan translation is going nowhere.

TheOriginalEd posted:

P3P also lets you play through as a female version of the Main character who has the huge distinction of having all of the other Sees kids as her social links. It gives you a good reason to get to know your squad mates rather than a bunch of random shmucks around town. I felt more connected to the characters and story in the FemMc run than in the entirety of my run with the Male character.

also the Shinji social link arc as the FemMc is so :sympathy:

Plus she gets new music! At school, in battle, boss battles, etc.

For comparison male and female battle themes. It's up to you which is better but it's refreshing at least.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 16, 2012

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Polite Tim posted:

Strangely enough Just Cause 2 was the last game that made me feel excited about exploring a huge open world, when I found a lonely tower in a field of cherry blossoms with a wubble gun at the top

Have you played Xenoblade? If not do so, because that's the best loving game in years for exploring a beautiful world packed with things to find, (some of) the places you visit are absolutely humongous. For example: every area in the game has a few secret spots (the game designates them as such and gives you a little ding) that are seriously hard to find and the payoff is usually just some exp and maybe a rare item, but by god is it satisfying to stumble upon one and most of them are really impressive spots like a cave behind the waterfall, an outcropping over a sheer cliff, or a quiet little spring hidden among the trees. That doesn't sound impressive but the whole thing somehow comes together to make it so.

I don't know if I managed to sell you on this since it's really hard to convey feelings over words but you could also watch this for an example of the environments (the good part is about six minutes in): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOLyqhQDqwc
Almost everything you see, you can get to.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just saw this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lWPIbLWWKyY Short summary: It's a trailer for an RPG about north american history, there's a kickstarter going: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seltaire/americana-dawn

It seems very Zybourne Clock-ish, i.e. way too ambitious for its own good, but at least there's quite a bit already done and what's there seems pretty nice! I have worries about how the story turns out since the creator doesn't seem to be the best of writers judging by the trailer and they're going for a very ambitious character arc. There's also this "we're in way over our heads" red flag from the description:

quote:

Large-Scale War System: In progress

But nevertheless it's something I'd like to see done. Like just cut the war system those are never good anyway and just finish what you've got right now, it looks good.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Definitely don't get P3. However, do get P3FES, the enhanced rerelease. P3P is not unquestionably better; it as a new twist on the story with a female protagonist (but how would you appreciate that without playing the original) and some combat improvements from P4 but at the loss of the 3D environments in favor of a visual novel style which is at least to me a huge bummer.

E: Oh, you already had these? Is your version isn't Persona 3 FES you're kinda missing out, they added a whole playable epilogue an poo poo.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It would. They just don't want to distribute a ROM. This is an experience only for the Sega Genesis :byodood:

I kind of understand, but it seems so stupid to spend huge amounts of effort on a game and then let only the most limited of crowds play it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DQ5 also has like, the best JRPG story ever. You will be extremely invested in it. Short version: you play through a character's life from childhood. Doesn't that sound awesome? It's really well written, too. Long version: You get married. And you get a choice in the matter. Is there a better way to get you invested in the characters? loving YES there is: You have kids later. You get to name them. They grow up. You fight the final boss with your family together. Isn't that just the best thing?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

I just got Golden Sun: Dark Dawn as a gift. I've played through GS 1, but not GS: The Lost Age. Am I going to miss anything if I don't play Lost Age before Dark Dawn?

You definitely don't. There's an ingame encyclopedia on all the things you may not understand, and the characters recap everything to the point of tedium anyway. But don't let this turn you off on the game, it's pretty fun if you can stand lengthy dialogue sequences (which you frankly should if you're playing JRPGs).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Lead the elite grif'fin squad through many dangerous mis'sions in this thrilling action role'playing game.

Also don't for-get to def-êat some Bran-Ô-Kor ôrcs ôn your-way.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ragequit posted:

I would say play Xenoblade. However, it might be hard to acquire now if you are in the US. If you are interested head to your nearest Gamestop immediately to see if they have any copies left. Any JRPG fan needs to give this game a shot. It's easily one of the best RPGs I have played in the past decade. You can find all the information you need here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476727

Xenoblade, however, starts the very opposite of "quickly". There's an action prologue, but then you run around for anywhere between 1 to 10 hours depending on how many sidequests you want to do before the main plot starts.

It's fun even in the beginning but it does not start quickly at all.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Levantine posted:

They are pretty excellent games! They are firmly steeped in the old traditions but are really polished and a lot of fun to play. Lots of hidden stuff to find and things to do.

You do know that official goonpinion is that GS fucken sucks, right? I never got into the originals but having read the recent LP I'm inclined to agree. I did have a lot of fun with DD though. You just have to remember that this is not a very modern game you're playing and it might not be for you.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

Is this because the English voices are good, or because the Japanese voices are just that bad/insufferable? I'll be getting the game soon and I wasn't aware you could chose which language to listen to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4ixyzmUSiE&feature=relmfu

Basically her voice is really, really, insufferably high and ~delicate~

And so is Pamela's seemingly too.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I finished up DQV and, drat, what a good game. I don't even remember the last time I was this invested in the story of a game (it was probably when I was around ten years old). Anyway, I'm kind of in a Dragon Quest mood and was thinking of proceeding to the other DS games. Which one would you recommend to play next? I actually got like ten hours into IX before stopping for some reason or another, but I haven't touched the others at all.

iastudent posted:

That said, there's some issues with it that still nag me. The instruction manual in the game isn't the clearest on how some of your stats work. Also on the inventory/status screens for each character, you can see some kind of meters corresponding to each of their stats and some "Atk/Spell progress" percentiles, but the manual doesn't mention them at all or how they're influenced.

It really is just like reliving the 16-bit era, when gamefaqs didn't exist and you had no idea what all those numbers on your stat screen meant. This is kind of an exciting prospect to me, to have a game in this day and age that you can't actually check guides for.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I wouldn't really say Ni no Kuni is anything like that. Neither is Persona 4 from a mechanical standpoint, when you get down to it, but it's still a phenomenal game that you owe it to yourself to play, some day.

Mechanically speaking, the combination of ATB-style real-time/turn based hybrid along with a weird technical style of play that emphasizes canceling or countering enemy moves, and in G3 the addition of air juggling, is really unique among RPGs. The end result of making you carefully plan out your moves and dynamically react to the enemies' action is really satisfying. There are some other RPGs like that. The Shadow Hearts games come to mind. It's pure turn based and there's no move canceling, but there is a pretty cool combo and air juggle system. Rearranging your party's turns in-battle in a way that allows you to get good combos and juggles is pretty cool. Nippon Ichi's SRPGs are pretty much the SRPG versions of that, especially the Disgaea games, with a big emphasis on combos, turn orders, etc. It's like each encounter is a puzzle that you have to work out to make the most out of. If you have a DS, Radiant Historia kinda reminds me of that play style, as well, and is a really well regarded game in these forums.

But on the 360/PS3/PC? Nope, there's not much of anything like that. That's mostly because there's not many JRPGs at all on consoles. The genre mostly moved over to portables aside for a few exceptions. The SH series is PS2 only. Disgaea 3 is on the PS3, but I haven't played that one so I can't say if it holds up.

Now I don't pretend to know anything about Grandia, but that sounds kinda like Valkyrie Profile 2. So that might be worth a try.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm working my way through two Tales games (The Abyss on 3DS and Xillia), Valkyrie Profile 2, and the Legendary Edition of Skyrim :shepicide:. Probably should look at getting a copy of Mario and Luigi: Dream Team as well, just because I know that game's gonna become rare as hell if I don't snap up a copy (JRPG's always do in PAL territories).

It is and will always be available digitally, so there's no danger of you not being able to play it. Of course, if you want a physical copy nothing's changed.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

MechaX posted:

This describes why I'm having so many problems getting through Ni no Kuni as it is so perfectly.

Like, the Studio Gibli aura runs out really quickly when the story starts to "kick" in for a lack of a better word (and then it becomes apparent that this is just another Level 5 game through and through). And I ended up buying it at launch for full price after the massive acclaim some of the gaming press like Kotaku gushed about it. But it is just not that fun to play and it shows no sign of getting better.

Man, Level 5 is such a depressing developer. They can achieve greatness, just look at DQ9. But so often they just pump out Another Level 5 Game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Million Ghosts posted:

I'd love more RPGs that were more setting creative in general. Resonance of Fate had that down, too bad about the rest of it. Final Fantasy sorta tries but it's bogged down by needing to have FF stuff in it. Seems like most things follow the kind of medieval with some technology, slap magic in there but call it something else route. Or the future but everyone uses swords still and there's magic too direction.

Something straight up modern day without spells and mystic forces would be a nice change.

FF isn't really "bogged down" by needing to have legacy elements in it. Nothing's stopping Square from making awesomely creative interpretations of all the good ol' Firagas and Bahamuts that fit whatever setting's chosen. They just don't feel the need to :effort:

Like how about a FF game set in something of a fascimile of WW2? Then just make all the enemies code names for actual soldiers (but preserve the game mechanics, e.g. the guys named Cactuar still do 1000 damage). And so on. Bam, interesting setting and all your favorites are still there. FF is only bogged down by its creators.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

What are the best indie RPGs out there?

A bit late, but I was just reminded of the fantastic (and nowadays, free!) Spirit Engine 2. The main draw is the unique combat system and great writing. You can pick from nine characters for your three-man party. There's "only" 27 combinations allowed but there's unique dialogue for every single one!

Meanwhile, the combat is sort of a spin on the ATB system, but there are no menus: you configure your attack patterns before battle. And because the world is 2D you can hide your characters behind others and you have to worry about things like attacks with an arc.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

What I think is Xenoblade's true triumph that is often understated is how explorable it is. The environments are huge. See that place over there? You can probably go there (in fact, I was convinced of the game's awesomeness when I could jump off the bridge in the starting town, into the lake below, and swim over to an island in the distance). You don't have to, but you'll want to, because you get XP for it. And a nice view, and maybe a warp spot and some treasure. My favorite is the slippedy slide in the snowy area, leading onto the mountaintop with lvl 90 enemies. And then you jump off the mountain into a pool 2km below. Just amazing.

The sidequests on the other hand are typical inane JRPG bullshit. Read a guide, you aren't figuring these out by yourself. Or actually, they're worse than typical JRPG bullshit since every town has A Million NPCs, who shuffle in and out by the hour. Good luck finding Popiko in the nopon tree.

But luckily all of this can and should be ignored in favor of accepting all quests you see on your way and then doing the ones that are convenient.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Say you want Shulk's extra skill tree quest in Colony 9. How do you get the quest? Why, raise Colony 9's affinity! How do you do that? Do all of the sidequests. For doing sidequests, you are rewarded with more sidequests, and only reason you are doing any of this is for the ulti-sidequest, Colony 6, which I'm pretty sure requires something approaching 100% completion to itself complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

fronz posted:

It is a very good game. It starts slow and boring but gets good. It is also a very different game than Radiant Historia so don't get them confused.
It's actively loving goofy pretty much the whole way through so if that's a turn-off it's not gonna be for you.

I have played an hour of Radiata Stories (I don't own it). I went from the beginning to the dwarf town, died in the mines, and started at the loving beginning again, because that was the only save point I encountered thus far. Did I miss something incredibly obvious...?