Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm still debating whether to get an action or turn based rpg for a trip. But from the former group I was considering one of the Ys PSP games. Which one would make a better introduction: Oath in Felghana or 7?

(turnbased game would be Trails)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks for the advice.

Something I should've asked initially: would the Ys games individually keep me occupied for 20-30 hours or would that be a stretch? I'm going to be in transit for quite a while.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

In the end I opted to give XSEED ten extra dollars, and went with Trails in the Sky.

I'm anxious to get started but I've only got rather lovely hotel wireless access and no computer. So far I've been downloading the 1GB+ file for over four hours, and it's timed out twice already so I'm back to 5% now and 207 minutes left. Hopefully it actually loads before morning when I'll be leaving. MediaGo is so much less painful to use.

Thanks for the help and advice (I ultimately ignored) again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I take it Trails didn't garner sufficient interest for it's own thread?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

Nah, not quite. A little too obscure, still, I think. I'm kind of wondering if SC will do so, however, since it's even better and the plot is a fair bit more engaging still than the first game.

Well hopefully XSEED doesn't go bankrupt before they have the chance to release it. I hope the Falcom deal worked out for them, however risky it may have seemed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm a few hours into chapter 2, and it's mostly been a pleasant experience so far. A slow burn that I pick up and play at few hour intervals - whereas I usually marathon RPGs.
The writing is charming, and I appreciate how just about every NPC has something new to say (in a given area) after just about every bit of plot progression. There are a number of jRPG tropes, both in the mechanics and storytelling, I would have preferred them to have avoided, but little things like infinite retries and no random encounters go a long way. I'm actually quite surprised at how much fun the battle system is. The videos I saw of it beforehand discouraged me almost to the point of not buying the game but it's really quite good (though I think there's a missed opportunity in the battle order manipulation, which could've been more involved - though maybe it does later on). In one or two fights the key to victory involved almost puzzle-like strategizing (one of the monsters up for extermination in particular) which is what I get the most enjoyment out of in jRPGs (out of the few non-SMT ones I've played).

One small gripe I've had is how many side quests seem to arbitrarily expire as the plot progresses. This has moved me to finishing up quests the second they're on offer (if possible), which has also led to some exhilarating optional boss battles where I'm clearly underleveled (that said the game seems on the easy side in general) so perhaps something of that sort was the motivation.

SpaceDrake, you mentioned before that the first chapter translation was somewhat botched on XSEED's part. The beginning of the chapter may have seemed a bit halfhearted but I think that might mostly be confirmation bias. Could you elaborate on what you meant? That said, the prologue for me has noticeably been the best written so far.

Lastly, I wonder if XSEED would be willing to consider distribution through Steam, ala SpaceDrake's efforts. Although I suspect much of the traditional jRPG customer base (in America) is PC gaming averse. But that might be confusing cause with effect.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Probably my biggest gripe about the Trails mechanics is that magic is probably just too good.

Yeah I was just thinking that especially with the amount of EP some characters have. I've been careful with spending EP but with the abundance of rest spots, ease of evading battle and disproportionate (it seems) growth of EP bars with levels (cheap arts remain effective) there isn't really a need to.

And about the side quest thing, too late for me since I let a single mission expire back in the prologue and realized only an hour or so later.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

A great game you might not want to overlook is Valkyria Chronicles for the PS3 (with a PSP sequel). It bends genres and their battle mechanics to surprisingly great results. You choose what unit you want to use from a map of the battlefield, from which you're given third person control. You move in real time, and have a gauge for how far you can go. As you pass enemies they can shoot at you, but when you choose to attack, you're free to take as long as you want. It's a brilliant fusion of strategy, RPG and action that it's almost odd it took so long to invent. I also wouldn't mind if other developers "borrowed" some of the ideas.

The story's linear and nothing to write home about, but it's fairly charming and still probably better than most Japanese RPGs (sadly it's a staple of the genre, and if you don't like the storytelling and tropes, there are very few exceptions. I'd recommend the new Persona games - in particular 4 - which though unarguably of the same mold, have some of the better and believable character interactions and reasonably interesting story to go with it).

What's more, back to VC, you should be able to find a new copy for $20 without much trouble.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Foxhound posted:

If you're up for a game in the vein of older cRPGs, you could try the Spiderweb software games. I personally have no experience with them, but apart from their antiquated graphics (which have been improved upon in the most recent releases) I have heard only good things about them, both in terms of story (well written and nonlinear) and battle systems.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

the temple takes like five minutes, unless you can't outrun the scorpions (and if you can't outrun the scorpions your character sucks)

As I remember the temple
"tutorial" was mandated by someone outside of BIS, some genius Interplay producer.

For me Fallout 2 was too big and long for it's own good, and I found the pop culture reference and occasional wackiness excessive. Fallout is a far tighter package, better balanced, better paced, with a better story. But Fallout 2 is still perhaps the better game. Interesting followers, grander and more varied quests, huge(r) world to explore with lots of fantastic locations. With some extra development time and a tighter direction, it could have been the objectively better one.

I love this series and I'm really thankful to Bethesda that the FO universe has been allowed to be revisited and that we got New Vegas (I got in the recent steam sale, haven't been able to play as much as I've wanted (travel), but this is very much a continuation of that same original spirit. Super excited to getting back into it).
I'd love if Obsidian were given the reigns for all future installments (or at least some...)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If you find the game overwhelming or just too convoluted I'd recommend FF Tactics Advance. Mechanically simpler, with less on screen characters, but containing all the fundamentals of sRPGs. It isn't too hard and breakable in a number of ways but its dangerously addicting (since you're rewarded for additional grinding). The story's also, surprisingly, subtly poignant. Absolutely worth a look whether or not you deicide to continue with FFT. You'll need a GBA or a backwards compatible DS (i.e., phat or lite).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

A PS3? Really? Maybe a DS or PSP, but JRPGs don't exist on console.

Valkyria Chronicles is reason enough is you like strategy RPGs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

This is by far the cheapest the game has been. A great JRPG without many of the genres trappings (good writing, no random encounters, you can retry every battle if you die, linear but with plenty of side quests). Recommended.

I'm considering this, but I'd rather have the digital version. Atlus has had 50% off Christmas sales two years in a row now, I think, so I'll probably hold off.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

Some suspicions are that the other G game is Gloria Union and that Atlus is just trolling the gently caress out of Growlanser fans for "publicity", fyi. If they are it's the dumbest move they could ever make, but...

Announcing two Sting games back to back doesn't seem like a good idea, and it'd be a pretty dick move with the way they've strung everyone along.

What interests me in the Growlancer games from what I've read up is combining world exploration with SRPG combat, and how player choice can radically alter how the story progress and ends. The art style is hideous but oddly faux-nostalgic to all that 90s anime I never watched.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Stow posted:

Heh, is the game going to be silent? That part about the script bothers me.

The compromise they (as well as Atlus Japan) made with Personas 3 and 4 in having only a select few plot central scenes voiced worked great. After hearing the characters once you naturally read their lines in their voice. Pity they couldn't work something out but it's really rather incredible we're getting a text heavy PSP game in 2012 at all. Atlus didn't want to lose too much on this.

Mithaldu posted:

Oh man, i don't mind having no english voices, but no japanese either? Meaning the cutscenes themselves will be full of amateur english voice talents pretending to speak in voice frequencies they're physically incapable of? This game's going to be amazingly annoying.

What? The cutscenes can't make up much of the game, and why would the cutscene dub be worse than their other work?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Only a select few plot scenes were voiced? What?

I meant only the big plot related scenes were voiced. Even the main character social links were mostly left mute.

Or are you responding to the Growlanser news?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Right but that's no small percentage of the game and those same social links are mute in the Japanese version as well.

I know I even said as much. It's a decent solution for games in general not just localizations, even if there's less audio than in the Personas.

quote:

Don't get me wrong I am happy to be getting the game, I am just surprised they ran into licensing issues getting the Japanese voicetrack. I dream of a day when obscure (in the west) games come over without the overhead costs of an English dub but not a day when the Japanese voicetracks get abandoned too. At least officially.

This might be the reason behind Atlus always being entirely dismissive of dual language releases. Either Atlus Japan doesn't care to include a provision for multi-region releases in their VA contracts, or it would come at too significant a cost.

I would have much preferred the voiced version - and from what I've read there is a lot of it - but I doubt Atlus doesn't have good reason to cut it. The PSP has carved it's own little JRPG niche in the west, and it's seems its sustainable since we're still getting a steady stream of new localizations, but my guess is these require keeping costs to an absolute minimum.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheIllestVillain posted:

I'm thinking of picking up Tactics Ogre seeing as it has so many glowing reviews, is it worth my hard earned $19.99?

The only SRPG-ish type of game i've played is Devil Survivor so i'm not very familiar with tactic based RPGs.

Just FYI Gamestop has new copies for $10. I grabbed a copy last week thinking it had to be a system error, but the listing on gamestop.com shows the same price.

I'm still a bit burned out by the FFT style of strategy RPGs, but you have to admire how faithful it is to its SNES underpinnings whilst having all the amenities of a modern game. It looks like it's constructed to be a perfect remake.

It's a very different game to Devil Survivor, there's much more unit micromanagement outside of battle, and battles are more strategic and dependent on coordination of multiples more units than what you had in DS. You might very well still enjoy it, it is a good game, but be prepared for something different and I'd say more demanding than Devil Survivor.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Joramun posted:

:swoon:

It's pretty rare to see a straight up romanized title for localizations.

Primoman posted:

So apparently XSEED is going to make an announcement tomorrow that may coincide with Steam.

Assuming this means more RPGs on Steam, I figured I'd ask in advance which PC versions from their library will be worth looking into. I asked about Ys on PSP, but I'm unfamiliar on what the PC versions are like, and if they're superior in any way.

Yes! Trails in the Sky SC, please.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Primoman posted:

Is this the same as the PSP game, or is it a sequel/spin-off?

I asked before why TiTS is so popular (don't say it, it's too easy), even though I've settled on Tactics Ogre when I get my Vita.

It's a trilogy released both on PC and PSP (the following trilogy is out only on PSP, and is getting ported to the PSV). SC is the second game in the Trails trilogy.

It's a pretty decent traditional JRPG with above average writing (nothing spectacular, though, as far as the translation goes). The protagonists aren't mopey social invalids. And the story never turns towards the melodramatic. It's a charming little adventure. The battle system is fine, though there's a lot of room for expanding on the established mechanics - which I'm hopeful SC provides. The game also avoids much of the frustrating design elements of many JRPGS - no random battles, and failed engagements can be retried ad infinitum (there's even an option to gradually reduce the difficulty the more you fail a given battle).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

I'll also disagree with Rinkles and say the translation was pretty good (as I recall), not amazing but it had a lot of life to it.

I didn't mean to suggest it was bad. It's better than most of the stuff we get, but it doesn't really rise above it's mold. Which is a shame because parts of it *are* really well written. SpaceDrake's more in the know, and I remember him saying there was a change of translators early on in the project. And it shows. Although I suspect some of the dips in quality are attributable to the fatigue resulting from translating the game's monstrosity of a script. It's huge. Almost every little NPC (in a given area, you can't completely back track) has something new to say after a bit of plot progression.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Am I crazy or was there a way to see all combat rolls in a dialog box in Arcanum? Or are floating numbers all we could get? (Also, has the Arcanum thread fallen into archives? I couldn't find it.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

Er, is it Tactics Ogre where they are super overpowered?

Yes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TehGherkin posted:

Hey goons,

I'm about to play me some Arcanum, having never actually completed it, and I wondered what mods/patches/etc were good/required, I've got one unofficial patch by Drog Black-Tooth or something, but I'm sure there were others last time I checked, anyone know?

In case this is still relevant: you definitely do not need any mods, but certain character types can be made easier. If you're going with melee or magic, or any combination involving one of the two, all combat will be trivial once you hit levels 15-20, and there's little challenge before that. A gunslinger will face a steeper up hill battle, but provided you build your character fairly wisely and understand the system rules it isn't that difficult - and companions go a long way in helping. Magic and melee unquestionably trump firearms - in part because their damage modifiers increase with your stats (Strength and Willpower), whilst guns are tied to Perception which only improves your to-hit chance - but each route is viable.

Problems arise when you poorly distribute your character points. A jack of all trades in Arcanum (and there are so many pools to put your points into) is a useless character. And this applies doubly so for gun slingers. I had a miserable time with one of the first characters I made because I was spreading myself too thin. As the manual helpfully says, don't put points into things just because they sound cool - loosely plan out the progression you'll take. Even if at the end (max level 50) you can be an adept at several disciplines/skills and what not, towards the beginning you really should choose only a couple to specialize in before trying different things. In particular choose a single combat skill and pump it up with at least two points within the first few levels (unless you're building a pacifist, but I'd recommend against that as a first playthrough). With zero points invested into melee, you will literally do more damage to yourself than to an enemy by swinging a sword at it.

Oh, and if you are going to try a gunslinger, put some points into explosives. Dumping molotov cocktails evens any odds the game might otherwise have against you.

Also, as a finally tip, if you're going for a aptitude-neutral character (leaning neither towards the technical or magickal), specialize in neutral abilities rather than mixing and matching from both sides - otherwise abilities from neither side of the divide will work very well.

Going back to the subject of mods. Most of the one's that try to rebalance the weapons, nerf some of the spells (the "Harm" spell is pretty insane) and boost certain guns. It's your choice, but I believe it'd probably be better to play just with Drog's patch and only if it becomes insufferable after a few hours restart with one of the mods. But again, as long as you plan ahead and specialize you should have no problems. Mages get a cakewalk, but to me that's what makes that character type boring. With a techy you'll be constantly searching for schematics, juggling resources (how many bullets can I afford, how much should I take so as to not be over encumbered, and will that be enough?), and in general the stuff you can build gives you much more options in how to deal with the world. But there's also a lot of fun stuff you can do with mages (invisibility, teleportation, disintegration), so ultimately just follow your heart (but remember: SPECIALIZE!)

Hope you are/will be having fun. I'm hesitant to call it a truly great game - though it has the makings of one - but it is one of the few Fallout-likes out there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Could I solicit goon opinions on Front Mission 3?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Just what I wanted to hear, thanks. There's supposed to be a story selection early on, any reason to go with one character (e:or rather side) instead of the other?

e2: VVVVV Okay, hopefully I have the time.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 19, 2013

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anybody have a hypothesis why I remember being disappointed by FFTA2 despite really enjoying FFTA a few years earlier? Story was total crap for sure, but I think there was more to it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Stelas posted:

FFTA2 dropped some of the incredibly blatantly powerful moves and forced you to be slightly less broken (but still very broken)?

I don't know. Maybe I felt there weren't enough changes to justify the $40 (I remember feeling it wasn't worth the money after finishing it, having bought it new).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

First punch ejection successful! Sorry mister policeman but you shouldn't have gotten in the way of mister "MY LITTLE ADOPTED SISTER IS POSSIBLY INCONVENIENCED ATM!" (bludgeoning him into the ground with a giant robotic fist felt a tad bit evil, considering he was just doing his duty). But thanks for the totally sweet Patlabor mech!

Because I got two responses about which arch to follow, I went with the response which seemed most natural to me; I ended up with Emma. I get the impression Kazuki's an idiot. The JDF is clearly evil because they were trying to kill us! (You know, after you infiltrated their military base in three fully armed combat mechs :downs:) Seriously, even if they weren't trying to hide anything, there would have been nothing suspicious about the way the army responded to what by all external appearances was a terrorist attack. I mean really, what were you thinking following a foreign national into a Japanese military base?

Also, I really like the Network system. Not that it's not a very cumbersome method of exposition, but I love when games have their own internal virtual OSs. The 90s web page design (in 2112!) is great as well. The mechanical and technological design as well as attention to detail in general is certainly appreciated.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kild posted:

FF9 should have a HD Remake. Its original art was stunning but a lot of its detail was lost downscaling it for PSX.

Just how little of IX was actually done in Japan? Apparently even the character designs were western. (or rather body designs. Some of the faces in the concepts were drawn by a Japanese dude according to the notes).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Where did Revan get these "rad" pajamas?

(Kotor 1, Dark side aligned, no clothes or armors equipped). They look like they came straight out of a poorly made retex mod.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Well yeah it looks that way, but this was from a totally vanilla play through.

Unless Gamefly/D2D is hosting weird versions of the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

God I've forgotten how big an improvement The Sith Lords is just interface- and mechanics-wise. Scripts in Kotor 1 were a bad joke (Bindo would you loving stay put!)- an inexcusable one if the game weren't so easy once you got a grasp of the rules. And those pigeon-hole menu screens...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

oblomov posted:

Sith Lords plus the new fixed mod version is certainly better. However, it's kind of awesome to play Kotor on the iPad :P.

Unless additional work's been done, I can't imagine combat controls not being very frustrating.

Any tips on raising influence for LS compaions (Bao Dur, disciple etc.) with a mostly DS (female) character? Last playthrough I think I only managed to jedify handmaiden and Mira.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Nobody here would be versed well enough in the save editor to help me out with a Nar Shadaa bug? I keep on getting crashes right before the Duros bounty hunters fight (going back to previous saves, the game starts crashing at earlier points, after/before the Twin Suns fight).

I am using the latest version of the restoration mod (1.8.2) and this was a fresh save.

Game was also randomly crashing on every forth or so load screen for some time now (it wasn't so bad initially).

e:actually it seems all my previous saves now crash after any cutscene, wtf?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 10, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Turning off fullscreen seems to have helped. I know windowed is commonly recommended but I haven't had issues with straight up progressing so far.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I am disappointed and frustrated that as a DSer you're funneled into dialog choices in the Jedi Enclave Kreia confrontation. Despite the deaths of jedi council members being mostly the result of them giving me no alternatives - I was mostly dark side, but was not a raving lunatic psychopath (unless an opportunity to make thugs jump off sky scrappers presented itself) - there's no way to express regret, or even suggest dissatisfaction at how things ended up, thus failing Kreia's expectations.

It's an important moment and sets up the finale; essential to the plot. But why bother providing the player with a series of choices if they all say the same thing? I have no problem with fatalism and am all for limiting the placer character's ability to impart change. Here, however, you lose control over your character because you are given one choice and you must take it. Obsidian usually manages to avoid giving the player false choices (different looking choices that are actually treated the same), so it's especially disappointing that for such a pivotal moment they simply only provide you with one (well 5 that say the same murderous thing).

I much prefer how the LS version pans out, because it doesn't pretend you have any agency (by incapacitating you). It's a more elegant solution to attaching a linear story to a vehicle with the audience's input, because it's sincere about not listening.

I'm not even going to entertain the possibility that it's the dark side consuming the PC (though that's kind of how Treia interprets it; if only she knew the exile had no choice!) because at almost all other significant plot points after and before you have some determination (even if the outcome is always the same). Plus, you can have this conversation with any alignment if you play your cards right.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Microcline posted:

I admire all of his work and think YazMat is one of the most talented people ever to work in the JRPG genre, but I still don't think I can get behind this. It looks like he's just hitching his name to an unknown iPhone dev he has no prior association with, although I'd love to be proven wrong though.

In the sphere of RPG-related iOS devs, Playdek is hardly an unknown. They announced their collaboration a while ago, and they plan to extend it to future projects. That said, they should be much clearer on the extent of Matsuno's involvement when it's obvious they're setting him up as the selling point.

e:The stretch goals sums seem a tad bit ambitious.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'd love to play some of the PS2 WAs on the Vita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I replayed (second time on pc, two and a half times on xbox) that somewhat recently and never got any crashes nor had to force windowed mode.

Actually no I think I got some crashes but I dont even remember what they were related to.

I hope you're not using the droid planet. Even with it being restored content there is a valid reason why it's not in the main game, it's just loving boring padding and fetch quests that has you running back and forth over the linear path over and over again. It's almost as bad as dragon age 2 if dragon age 2 was fun at all times except for that level.

As for Kreia, you always fail her expectations because she's an old hag who thinks everyone who isn't her is useless.

No that was without the droid planet mod. Game's just buggy as hell, even with the mod work. Playing on a modern OS doesn't help either.

I'm all for Kreia ultimately not accepting you, but she should do so because she disproves of your choices (for whatever reasons), not because you're blatantly forced to act in a way she won't like.