Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
That's your answer baby. Gamers love surface level comparisons that don't pan out at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

Merilan posted:

i pretty much have to be on-guard for depressing as hell stories nowadays because i can't be sure when one will finally the one to finish the job mother 3 nearly did but didn't

Time to get got by Mother 3.......2!

Personally I'm rarely in the mood for anything sad so I don't touch them much but Mother 3 is always gonna get me...

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
It's pretty easy to forget or paper over Miko's historical origin and this seems to be a person who likes doing that generally.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Toyosatomimi no Miko is based on the real life Prince Shotoku. Naturally there would be interesting space to explore there, esp because (unless I'm misremembering) Miko alludes that she chose her current form (as a cute girl). Of course a lot of people don't actually explore that to any real degree so I'm not personally surprised a weirdo transphobe would also like that character.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Touhou owns and ZUN is definitely a thoughtful well-meaning dude is the overall point. It's also got the pretty typical overwhelming chud fandom problem which is really unfortunate.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
I might be too cynical about it and a large part of that is that between Touhou being real big compared to most other things in that sphere and me existing in the fandom for a long time as a queer person, it's easy to bump into shitheads. I definitely don't wanna discourage anyone from getting into it, or playing one of the many rpg fangames (like the Labyrinth of Touhou series which is similar to Etrian Odyssey).

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
The good news is there is a ton more non-shmup Touhou content than shmup, so you can definitely pick your poison.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
That's from AnimeMaru, an anime Onion site. it's completely fake

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Pretty Cool to go back to a week ago (and also 7 pages ago) to find a post you can casually a drop a "actually hes homophobic" to and also include the lil iirc so you don't need a real source.

Like if your intent wasn't to just be a piece of poo poo about it you should really step back and think about why you would say something like that in that way.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Granted, I'm also annoyed with a certain subset of fandom being "ALL THE CHARACTERS ARE GAY AND/OR TRANS. ALL OF THEM!" so there's that too.

This is just as bad as the thing you're nominally arguing against.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Who cares? It's not like they're breaking into your house to yell at you about it. It's pretty easy to ignore someone being a turd online, and you definitely just broadened it way beyond that too.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I get where angryrobot is coming from, theres definitely subcommunities who go at peoples throats for not having the right head canon and posture it as being woke or whatever. Idc if someone is just goofing around about asserting it though. But it's weird when people dont have the self awareness to realize their fan theories arent universally accepted.

That's definitely not his intent given the bit about cinnamon rolls so maybe we should save the convo you're aiming at for another time.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
I like the one where Samus acts like a bird cuz she lived with birds

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Also yes plenty of companies try to stifle fanart lol. They just can't chase down every single internet artist in the world. Try selling art or whatever of some popular series at cons and watch those C&D letters roll in.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Hell even that version of U.N. Owen that's half the actual song and half the Cool&Create remix that everyone thinks is the actual song.

It is actually still the top youtube result for U.N. Owen

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
There's official bullet games, official fighting games, official subgenres of shooting games (camera games like pokemon snap, more puzzly ones too), official books and manga, official original music.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
In terms of scale though official Touhou is not even a fraction of a percentage point. In one particular Comiket (Comiket 84 in August 2013) there were over 2500 Touhou fanworks on display. For one Comiket in one year. Comiket rep drops after this but this is because a Touhou specific doujin fair endorsed by ZUN starts to take off big time. The vast majority of Touhou work is fan content and is a big reason for its popularity, but there's also a mountain of official work in several media. It's a big franchise by any metric.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
I don't think the Heartbeat gang are gonna be chased out immediately. Yeah 8chan hates them but theres an entire contingent of chuds who will at least pretend to be nice to minorities so they can be used as a talking point, and they're much bigger than 8chan.

And Resetera is probably more disappointing than being a chud place because they took this huge moral stand for the end result of "I think we should give Atlus the benefit of the doubt for making Catherine again with all the bad poo poo from before and worse new poo poo". Liberals...

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Normal and smart thing to say and think: "The entire cultural output of this country of millions of people is x, and people who enjoy it are y." I'm not saying anyone here is doing that but it's an easy and bad trap to fall into.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
It can also be an attempt to claim space. That was the original intent of MAGA Momiji which has mas morphed into a lot of people not even realizing what she's from. Which I guess is pretty common for Touhou lol

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Wikipedia super owns for trans stuff. It's been their policy for forever that they're not only allowed but have an obligation to deadname every single trans person they write about and also you can't ask them to remove it.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Do you think that's acceptable to trans people?

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
"Hmm one of the biggest websites in the world deadnames me but its cool it's only sometimes"

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
That is not the context most of the time. Most of these people have never been noteworthy under their birth name but haha whoops there it is on Wikipedia! Also you cannot claim they are doing anything good faith when the people the article is about request their deadname not be used and get denied. Come on.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
As mentioned they are not even good or consistent about names for people who aren't trans. So how can the assumption be they are for people who are? And then the people directly affected by Wikipedia being bad have no say in how Wikipedia treats them. It's bad and people should not be crawling out of the woodwork to defend it.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

babypolis posted:

Yeah that one is all over the place. Someone pointed out the page for Jennel Jaquays and that one seems fine, with one brief mention at the start and then mostly referring to her as Jaquays for the rest of the article. Seems like they need some sort of naming policy

Their current policy is "gently caress you we're wikipedia you can't tell us what to do" which is incredibly harmful. Also Wikipedia is not like, the All Seeing Eye. It's a collection of public knowledge. If it's not really public knowledge (or useful public knowledge, like for someone who changed their name way before doing anything notable) what someone's birth name is then it probably shouldn't be on Wikipedia. But it's impossible to make that argument to them or even get them to rewrite an article without a loving stink about it. Everyone acts like it's just them following a policy that's been well thought out and argued instead of literally making an arbitrary decision and then sticking with it cuz they don't care about the people they're writing about.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
But they do change people's pages at their request if they're defamatory or can cause harassment. Which is exactly what a deadname can do. But oh, oh, it's somehow different now. Suddenly our policy is really inflexible about this and weirdly it's only in this case that we can't do anything about it. Not bigots tho!

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Is This Japanese Game TOO Horny??? is always a thought to take with a grain of salt

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Legality = Morality, a popular lib position, has some interesting corollaries such as the incredible power of playing by the book which binds you and must be satisfied with your documentation or else you are not allowed to stop a bad thing. This is of course not actually true cuz cops and judges and on and on due bad rule breaking (and immoral) poo poo all the time but I'm not surprised it would pop up in media like that, even if very goofily and tonally inconsistent with the rest of the game.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

Motto posted:

himukai's art is good.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Weird that all these long running winners were all simultaneously defeated, and by a mobile game no less!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5rCOECdgCQ

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
e: different game with crafting, oops

Kagaya Homoraisan fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 14, 2019

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Otherworld is pretty whatever to me. Uematsu didn't even manage to get a band mad at him unlike another Final Fantasy (and composer, Soken) and Powerman 5000. Like I think it's really hard to do anything in that vein and not have it sound like total rear end so you better do it so well the actual people who make it get mad at you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdV_bzJgRxE

Kagaya Homoraisan fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 14, 2019

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Powerman 5000 screamed at Square-Enix about Fiend on Twitter because "it sounds just like When Worlds Collide!" and S-E said "cool, we didn't rip your song off and we have lawyers" so they backed down. You can find stuff about it online. Like so: https://kotaku.com/band-says-new-final-fantasy-xiv-boss-battle-music-is-ri-1761120297

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
I mean a lot of the same people are also asking if DQ is like that in general so maybe the answer is they're unfamiliar with the series and didn't know they signed up for a more proactive Legend of Zelda. Is it really difficult to understand that DQXI may not be a cool fun game for everyone?

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

an actual dog posted:

No but the story comments were weird, like what the gently caress does cowardly mean?

I mean given the context of the post in question, cowardly probably means "unwilling to take even the smallest most calculated risk" but I'm not that poster so I can only assume. And that's a valid complaint that you seem to have issue with. Like you answered no to my question but I'm not sure that's actually the case. Any story can miss notes for people and the response being "that's just DQ" is not gonna make anyone rethink or re-examine.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
:xcom:

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
I mean the thing with stuff like vaginal bones and #WarForTifasBoobs is they're funny....for like a day. 5 posts of "not a lot of effort" isn't like a reaction to the 10 vagina bone posts necessarily, but all of it for like a year now. It's probably pretty restrained.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
doing it in the actual fight also gets you #clout because you can do it the moment the fights out instead of trying to a role, or as mentioned spend the time editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
i mean the thing about the poor beleaguered spoiler dislikers is the vast majority of them are not actually that and are in fact the people who walk into public convos and scream at everyone for saying kain in ff4 gets mind controlled a bunch. im not super interested in hashing out whether every single individual person can be reasonable about it, just know that if that doesnt sound like you its not aimed at you