Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
I really enjoyed the hell out of Fuga, another one of those games that just floated into my Steam recommendations and I decided to give it a try. I need to go back and finish snagging the achievements, I have almost all of them at this point. I've been keeping an eye on Fuga 2 for any potential sales since I'm little broke at this point.

I saw Izuna the Unemployed Ninja was getting rebooted a couple weeks ago and remembered I owned those games, so I've been chipping away at the first one. It's not the most original or well realized game I've ever played, but it has been nice to play a no-frills Mystery Dungeon style game with at least a few interesting mechanics. Now if I can just consistently remember to dump off money and items in the storage before I enter dungeons, I can have a much better time going forward with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

The main thing I dislike about Disgaea 2 PC is they retained the jumbo sized UI from the PSP version which makes inventory and unit management a chore. I never noticed any actual issues with playing the game though.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Disgaea 1 has always been my personal favorite due to a mixture of nostalgia and having the sensibilities of an old man. Mechanically, I’d say 2 and 5 are the best of the series, while 1, 3, and 4 had my favorite stories. If you’re just looking for a mindless powerscaling game though, 4 is probably the best in that regard.

Emizel was my personal favorite character from 4. Broadly his arc isn’t all that different from Laharl or especially Rozalin, but I’ve always had a soft spot for little shits legitimately growing as people and I think his interactions with Valvatorez are great.

CullenDaGaDee fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 11, 2023

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

If nothing else, you have to pay respect to Axel's skills as a flutist.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Disgaea 2 was a game that grew on me the more I played it, as I began to respect the greatly expanded secondary and post game content compared to the first game while still retaining interesting mechanics that kept a degree of strategic gameplay. The PS3 era of the franchise skewed heavily towards rocket tag style combat with most of the tactical challenges revolving around really irritating geo block puzzles.

I think Disgaea 3 is the funniest game in the franchise in terms of writing (I realize this is highly subjective) and I enjoy that it has a relatively breezy pace compared to other games in the series, but it does have to contend with the fact that 4 is pretty much just a straight upgrade in almost every regard. I think the only thing people feel 3 did better is that it is way less irritating getting into the Land of Carnage in 3 compared to 4.

CullenDaGaDee fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 12, 2023

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I've not yet had the pleasure to play 6 so who knows, maybe that one is the dog turd everyone says it is.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

5 has the protagonist with an eating disorder that can only be satiated by the cold dish of vengeance.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Most of the praise I've seen for Disgaea 6 go to its story and characters, which I'm told were a step up from the fairly uninspired writing of Disgaea 5. I honestly would at least like to try it to see why exactly it failed to shake up the series formula (I mean I could watch a longplay or something but that's not the same feeling), but I'd have to get it a recycle bin price since I've long since grown past dropping money on bad games just to experience them.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Finally cleared a game out of my backlog, the SFC version of Trials of Mana on the Collection of Mana. (The furthest I had gotten in the game previously was the Darkshine Knight on Duran's path on emulator, before I knew that Level 2 and 3 techs turned the B button into a suicide button.) Time has definitely not been kind to this game, though it was still a fun romp. I cleared out Riesz's path using Hawkeye and Kevin as my back up, and started another file using Kevin, Duran and Charlotte so I can have another physical focused party that approaches magic support a bit differently. I'll probably go for a magic focused team with Angela at some point, but not looking too forward to that since fighting via magic in this game is about as fun and interesting as watching paint dry. Probably the most mundane but roughest thing about the SFC version of Trials is how unbelievably laggy the menus are. Every time I have to update my equipment or sort my inventory, I just deflate because the whole process takes 30 seconds to a minute longer than it needs to.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I honestly have to wonder if the Remakes dubbing is bad on purpose, cause it really feels like they're shooting for that era of PS1 voice acting where they'd literally just get randos off the street who happened to speak English for their English language track. Not gonna lie, I find it kind of charming, but I definitely am someone with a "So bad it's good" mindset for a lot of things so I get why others would be put off by it.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Finally got to the class change in my second run of Trials of Mana SFC, so now the game is starting to get a bit more interesting with what I can do beyond pressing the A button and occasionally the B button. One thing I really appreciate about the remake is the retooled level curve making the class change happen much earlier, as well as the characters having abilities independent of class changing to give them more variety and use prior to the change.

I gotta say, even though having Charlotte is a serious dip in damage ability for any physically oriented party, it is so nice to just be able to pop open the ring menu and fully heal the whole team in between every battle once she class changes. And for what it's worth, throw a Saber on her and her class strike still does pretty solid damage so it's not like she doesn't contribute at all. I'm also on the Kevin/Charlotte story path so I know she becomes an instant win button for the story specific dungeon if you have her go Light-Light.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Rascyc posted:

I didn't even know the Secret of Mana 3 game in the Collection was a remake. I thought they just slapped a translation on it and released it as is. Even after the remake it still has all the horrible slowdown?

My last memory of that game was playing it on emulator and using frameskip hotkeys every time I went into the menus

When I say the Remake, I mean specifically the HD game made in 2020 which is essentially a completely new game. (And as a novel concept, is actually an action RPG) The Collection of Mana version is indeed just the original with a translation, with only half the mechanics actually working and all.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

My favorite story about the Square Enix corporate end was the CEO determining where to set up their headquarters by determining the ideal location via fortune telling.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Plus there's not really anything stopping you from doing cold runs to hoard Max Elixirs in storage and then pull out however many you need for the next proper dungeon, save for the bonus dungeons that prevent you from carrying in any items.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

For the benefit of those who don’t know, the game being discussed is Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

The biggest game changer for me with Nocturne was realizing I could endlessly farm chakra drops from Yoyogi Park for all my exploration needs.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I've always found Digital Devil Saga to be pretty forgiving if you cover your bases in terms of support magic and have good offensive coverage. One thing that definitely helps once you get more than 3 party members is keeping someone on reserve kitted out with every type of Void skill to sub in if needed, a lot of people miss you can change your party line up mid battle and it's a very under rated defensive option.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I actually lost to the final boss of DDS1 on my first attempt in my first playthrough because I was kitted out with only Almighty skills for the bonus bosses and the final boss is the one thing in the game that resists Almighty skills. Theoretically I could have won but it would have taken over an hour so I just threw and came back with a more balanced loadout.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

It’s also nice that you have full customization over your skill lists with no chance to lose anything. I do kind of wish characters actually had skill preferences or proficiencies independent of their stats though. It’s a little boring that everyone can learn everything and use it to similar effect for the same cost.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I played Atelier Meruru recently and that game was fantastic. I think I liked Totori a little more on a personal level, but Meruru is definitely the more polished game so I’d recommend that one highly.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I really need to play Escha and Logy at some point, I’ve heard a lot of good things about that game. I still need to commit to finishing Ayesha, it’s one of those games I enjoy but I always try to revisit and finish it when something new comes out shortly after to snatch my attention away.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Yeah, Atelier games are pretty generous and it’s usually a no brainer to get a decent ending with the time you’re allotted. Getting the best or more unique endings are a bit of a trickier process, but usually for reasons unrelated to the time limit.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I really needed to immerse myself in Xenoblade 2 to get into it, but I really started to enjoy it once I began to get a grasp on its mechanics. I think the game rewards investment if you're willing to make it.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

It was a fun experience not understanding chain attacks at all in Xenoblade 2 until the literal last chapter where it finally clicked on me how you're supposed to use them, and then I proceeded to annihilate every mildly threatening enemy with element bursts.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I'd like chain attacks in 3 a lot better if there was a fast forward button. At the very least they're more intuitive to use.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Live A Live is such a gem. I'll admit it's not the most mechanically sound game, but I really love the unique little vignette's they come up with for each story, and I think the stories all come together in a really interesting way. Currently working on the remake myself, played the fan translated version years ago so it's nice to re-experience the game after all this time.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I'm up to chapter 6 in Xenoblade 3, and I feel like the actually important villains in the context of the whole story are handled well enough. The Hero Quest Moebius have the depth of a kiddie pool, but I think they work as the road bumps they are intended to be and the occasional bit of ham 'n cheese never hurt anyone.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Personally I find it amusing they're responding to a week old post that probably even the OP forgot they made.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

The Colonel posted:

i'm not sure either of these statements are true

I think they're making a crack about the "Humans are the real monsters" themes present in those games.

It is actually hard to think of a game without multiple endings where you have villain protagonists, though if you do factor in those then Soul Nomad and Drakengard are probably the most iconic examples.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Countblanc posted:

in some of the disgaea games you're playing characters who are unambiguously evil who either accidentally stumble into doing something for the greater good or are in some way changed in the latter half of the game. laharl isn't a good person, let alone a hero, until maybe the last 3-4 chapters of the game and even then you gotta really squint.

I'd argue that Laharl mostly keeps up the appearance of villainy because it's what he thinks an Overlord is supposed to do, though he is definitely a brat for a lot of the game. Notably most of the bad endings in that game require the player to go exceptionally out of their way in being a bad team leader, and even then two of them involve Laharl abandoning the role of Overlord in some capacity. Laharl's proposed "evil plans" are also comedically basic. Mao definitely has a case for being a villain protagonist though, even by the end of the game he's pretty devoid of redeeming qualities beyond the fact that it's pretty funny to watch just how depraved he can be.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

NIS cameo appearances always boil characters down to the absolute basics of their personality at the beginning of their respective games. In some extreme cases like for Etna, memorable one-off jokes become central aspects of their character in future installments.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Tales of Graces is always worth a recommendation. While the narrative is pretty weak, the character interactions are a lot of fun and the gameplay is phenomenal.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Fingers crossed for a OoT Brawl Demo clear type run for Unicorn Overlord.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

It’s nice to see Dept. Heaven games making it to more modern hardware. They may not be the most polished or mechanically sound RPG’s out there, but I can’t say I’ve ever played anything else that were just like them.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I found Disgaea 3 to be a pretty funny game in terms of story, though the actual character arcs and plotting recycle quite a bit of Hour of Darkness but in a subverted school setting.

I do find the actual mechanics to be flatly improved in Disgaea 4, but I do appreciate that 3 gives you more freedom to screw around and ignore the story from the jump compared to Disgaea 4.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Pairing RE: Chain of Memories in a collection with the first game seems sensible on paper, until you play it and realize it's almost entirely recycled assets with a way worse combat system. The GBA version isn't high art, but it at least plays distinctly and has some pretty solid pixel graphics. I've never been able to get further than Wonderland in RE CoM because I just get bored with it way too quickly.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Big fan of how half the cast in Final Fantasy X end sentences with "Y'know?"

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

O'Doyle rules

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Tifa and Aerith’s cbt anthem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

And KH2 FM was Japan only for about a decade.