Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In olden times everything was made out of mud, even the people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MockingQuantum posted:

Has anyone played SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked? I really want to play the first Devil Survivor, and I have a 3DS, so I feel like I should take advantage of the extra content, but I'm pretty sure there were 12 copies of the game ever made. New ones are going on Amazon for $58 minimum, and the nearest copy I can find in any chains is 60 miles away.

Should I even worry about it that much, or just try to find a regular DS copy of the game?

The 3DS version is in stock here https://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=18413&osCsid=82743d26f02f2c4bc30ad97974ab3ba7 they're pretty reliable, I get all my US imports from them and have never had a problem.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

HondaCivet posted:

Maybe people are just confused about what "grindy" means? I always think of "grindy" as referring to games that require you to stop and repetitively defeat lots of monsters to gather enough XP/levels to get you through the next piece of content. Am I wrong? Maybe some people think that "grindy" is just having to fight a lot?

That's the classic definition but it often gets used to describe anything that requires a repetitive series of tasks for advancement.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ornamented Death posted:

It's really going to depress you guys when you realize he isn't talking about running a SNES emulator on a C64, but rather that he wasn't born until 1995 or something.

I was trying to work out when someone would have to be born for there to be a PC older than them that would be likely capable of running SNES emulators and that was what I came up with too. :smith:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Levantine posted:

Kartia and Metal Saga are both a lot of fun. However, Hoshigami struck me as the absolute grindiest SRPG ever of all time. Everything you do leaves you less powerful than your enemies and it always feels like a slog. Also characters can permanently die I think and the coins that grant resurrection magic are rare. Of all those games I think that's the one I like least.

The DS port of Hoshigami makes it a bit less painful but it's not what most people would call 'fun'.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Levantine posted:

I actually gave Hoshigami a second shot with the DS port and for the life of me I can't figure out how they "fixed" anything. It's just as dull and tedious and frustrating as the PSX version. Maybe they just reached such a critical mass of awfulness there's no improving on it.

To be honest I think all they did was make getting the resurrection spell a lot quicker.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Levantine posted:

This a thousand times. PSIV is probably among my five favorite RPGs of all time. It's just so good for the period and is just the best distillation of old school Phantasy Star that exists. The music is awesome, the graphics are amazing for the time and the game is really long and has some cool story hooks.

How is it if you've tried playing earlier games and they're just too archaic to enjoy?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

I would say, more than anything, the big bar to enjoyment for PS is the spell names and the fact that they're not explained in-game. PS2 came with a big ol' foldout sheet of what everything did if I recall, but without that you're stuck trying to puzzle out or remember a lot of obscure spell names.

Honestly I think this is what did it for me, plus the lack of direction. I'm usually happy with most 16-bit era RPG's (the earliest game I can think of I enjoyed is FF 4, but that could be my familiarity with the series glossing over the rough edges), PS 2 felt more like something that belonged to the generation before.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looks like the translation of Grand Knights History got canned. :(

http://kotaku.com/5906953/yet-another-gorgeous-jrpg-might-not-make-it-to-america
(Apologies for Kotaku link.)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MockingQuantum posted:

Can anyone recommend a horror/paranormal themed RPG that is NOT SMT/Persona or overtly anime-styled? Something with a good atmosphere to it would be great. Something with awesome music would be even better.

There's the Shadow Hearts games on PS2, but they're pretty anime (nowhere near Persona levels though). The first is okay but a bit primitive, the second one is awesome and I never got very far in the third. The first two manage to be both pretty dark and serious and have some of the genuinely funniest bits in any RPG, especially the second.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

Man, uh, the Shadow Hearts games are way way more anime than Persona ever could be.

Persona 3+4 are literally harem anime dating-sim games with combat, the Shadow Hearts games contain wacky anime high-jinks, which is the lesser of the two in my opinion.

Okay, maybe they contain a lot of wacky anime high-jinks....

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BadAstronaut posted:

What's the general attitude around here to Final Fantasy XIII? I just got it on PS3 for next to nothing, fired it up for an idea of what it's about (I'm deducted to finishing Dragon Quest VI before I dive in to anything else) and I was kinda wtf at the first 5 minutes of the gameplay, thrown into some weird sci fi setting with a too cool afro sporting guy with a bird living in his hair and a powered up super hero woman fighting a massive machine. What happened to RPGs where I'm a 15 year old boy waking up in our cottage to the sound of my mother/father/guardian calling me for breakfast?

Is this game all hard sci fi action stuff?

Most people hate it, a few people like the combat and a couple of the characters but still hate everything else.

It, like most FF games since, oh, VI I guess, is a mixture SF and fantasy stuff, XIII is just a lot more on the SF side. Also it starts in the middle of the plot and slowly explains itself, which is probably the only thing I liked about it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Papercut posted:

Everything about the paradigms was so offensively over-the-top that I immediately lost all interest in the game. "Double Trouble-X" and "War and Peace", no thanks.

This might actually be the stupidest reason I've ever heard for not liking something.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nickoten posted:

They're not literally harem anime dating-sim games with combat.

Okay, they're literally harem anime dating-sim games with combat and you get to walk around and talk to people, instead of just selecting 'move' from a menu. Apart from Persona 3 Portable, anyway.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Adam Bowen posted:

That description is still incredibly stupid, you're just embarrassing yourself here.

I can make it even more stupid if you need any more help working out how serious I'm being about the whole thing.

Persona 4 is probably my second favourite RPG from the last few years, if it bothers you that much.

ImpAtom posted:

It's like saying Alpha Protocol is a dating sim/RPG.

Meh, depends on the dialogue choices I guess.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Can we agree to the term 'friend-making sim'?

I would play Mass Persona Effect in a second.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

swoollacott posted:

Just finished looking through my RPG collection and it seems like 99.9% of them are either fantasy or sci-fi. The only one's I've played that are set in modern times are Alpha Protocol and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Can anyone recommend a good RPG that has a modern setting?

Persona 4, if you can stand anime. Also, whilst it is in a modern setting it also has a lot occult/fantasy stuff in it, so.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

Gun Hazard is awesome but for completely different reasons than most FM games. That doesn't mean it isn't awesome though.

Being the spiritual sequel to Cybernator/Assault Suits Valken is an instant pass to being awesome.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Francois Kofko posted:

It requires an amazon payments account to either run a kickstarter or donate. Amazon payments accounts are american-only.

I've donated fine from the UK so, no?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hey, at least it's not Star Ocean 4. ....:smith:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

flyboi posted:

I decided to start playing Secret of Mana today because I found out this used Wii I purchased had it on there in the store...

.. Jesus christ I forgot how stupid the AI is and how impossible this game is unless you play with friends. Oh well, guess I'll play something else. I remember why I quit playing this in the past now.

Where are you having trouble? It's not impossible at all and one of the easier RPG's on the SNES (once you're past Spikey Tiger anyway) even if you're playing on your own. Like most RPG's of the time, it expects you to be a certain level at a certain time and you won't always get there without a bit of grinding. Yup, the AI is terrible but just remember to set them to be more aggressive and that if you want them to use magic you have to tell specifically to every time (though if you talking about them constantly getting stuck on bits of the scenery, can't help you there, ugh).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What order should the Kingdom Hearts games be played in? Seems like half of them are either remakes of earlier games or prequels or set between the main games and don't follow any obvious naming convention.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not sure why I'd scream at you, mostly I've tried the xenosagas and final fantasies and dragon quests and such, and was looking for maybe something not nearly as popular but still enjoyable. I'll give these a look.

If you haven't played any Shin Megami Tensei games then SMT: Nocturne, the two Digital Devil Saga games and Persona 3 & 4 are all worth a look. Be warned though, they're all varying degrees of really hard.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Philip Rivers posted:

You know what I think would be cool? A JRPG designed for speed running. Instead of mechanical memorization like most games, speedrunning an RPG would be more about doing on the fly analysis. Should you stop by a secret dungeon for a powerful weapon? Is it worth it to risk fighting a boss underleveled to shave time, or should you safely grind and not risk wiping? I can imagine that it would have a lot of branched paths, optional content, and no set-in-stone dungeon orders.

If you haven't played 'Half-Minute Hero' it's kind of like this, only more a puzzle game where you have to work out the optimal way to level up to beat the boss within the time limit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Was Wild Arms 3 the game where there was no way of actually buying healing items? I seem to remember screwing myself over because of that somehow.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

Haha you literally got the worst Xenosaga game.

You should also pick up Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and Tales of the Abyss.

Only Episode 2 was ever released in EU territories, it came with a DVD of the cut-scenes for the first game. No-one bought it because we didn't get the first game, so they never bothered with the third game.

We didn't get Tales of the Abyss, either. :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Just picked up Risen and I'm about an hour in. I'm enjoying it so far. Can anyone recommend similar games aside from the Gothic series? Perhaps with a bit more character customization? I'm not particularly fond of being forced to play a male, but it's not that big of a deal. I have played both Witcher games as well.

You could try Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga, it's kind of a halfway point between Gothic/Risen and a Diablo style action RPG.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It did look really good for a PS1 game, but played horribly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GulagDolls posted:

I hate you more than anyone in the entire world

Hamlet died for our sins.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WhiteHowler posted:

Is there anything out there even remotely similar to the old Grandia games? I really enjoyed the battle system from Grandia 2/X/3, and I haven't found anything since that even comes close.

I just picked up Final Fantasy XIII because I saw it for $10 used at a local game store, and it's okay, but not being able to control all of the characters in my party is bumming me out. The beginning is also REALLY slow -- dozens of one-dimensional battles where you have no skills to choose from or character progression.

I think Persona 4/Golden might be somewhat close to what I'm looking for, but my PS2 is packed away in storage and I'm just not interested in buying a Vita.

Right now I just have an Xbox 360, a PS3, and a decent gaming PC. I've already played all of the non-online Final Fantasy games (I think XII was my favorite; yeah, I'm strange), and played through Nier when it came out. Is there anything from the current console generation that might live up to my memories of Grandia?

If you have access to a PSP, the combat in Trails in the Sky is somewhat similar to Grandia and has the same sort of 'young boy setting out on and adventure' feel to the story.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Turns out a game called Time and Eternity is out in Europe on Friday. I like to think I'm up on obscure JRPG's but I've never heard of it before, anyone know anything about it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In addition to the other Vagrant Story stuff, when you eventually get the elemental buff/debuff spells they are incredibly useful and the only way I managed to cheese through the game the first time because I didn't understand how everything (or anything) worked.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

juicecube posted:

Has anybody here played Theresia? I'm eyeing a copy locally and wonder if it's worth the pickup. Thanks

It's a game that's deliberately made miserable and painful to play to put you in the shoes of the main character. Whatever your feelings on that are should give you an answer.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Coughing Hobo posted:

I still hum the boss theme from time to time.

Every RPG should have at least one boss theme by Hitoshi Sakimoto. Uh, even if his stuff does kinda start to sound the same after a while.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

a cat youtube posted:

I was trying to think of jrpgs that are "two player" so to say. The only example I could come up with on the top of my head was Lord of the Rings the third age (I know, US developer but it had the same battle system as FFX) that let the second player control half the party, are there any other jrpgs like that?

As far as I know all 'Tales of' games let a second person play during the battle segments, certainly the recent PS3 games do. Struggling to think of anything else to be honest, unless you want to play a 20 year old SNES game, in which case Secret of Mana.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dross posted:

Is White Knight Chronicles worth owning now that the servers are gone?

It wasn't worth owning when the severs were up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The worst thing about Vanguard Bandits is that it's possible to lock yourself in to a lovely ending with no way of reversing it. I'm not sure how terrible at the game you have to be to have that happen, but I managed it on my first go.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That used to be true but Atlus US just announced they were publishing Conception 2 in the EU, digital only though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think the only time JRPG's haven't been a niche market was during that PS1 era when FF7 made them vaguely popular.

The whole thing with SMT IV would be moot if the 3DS were region free, thanks Nintendo for making the only region locked handheld in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No idea how it differs from the original release, but it's pretty much the best JRPG since Xenoblade, though it's mostly a SNES RPG with better graphics and a ton of quality of life stuff. Being able to turn random encounters up, down or off completely is probably S-E's best contribution to the genre in years.