Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I played an old SNES rom that I'd like to try again. It had a really generic name like ninja quest. It was interesting in that you didn't have a preset party, but instead had this giant list of NPC characters you could randomly run into that you could fight, bribe or talk into joining you. There was also some sort of espionage side thing where you could sneak into palaces to find information, but I don't really remember how that worked.

Anyone know what I;m talking about?

Inindo: Way of the Ninja

I loving loved that game. It can be brutally tough in some areas, but there's honestly never been another game even a little like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Rorona (this game's direct prequel, taking place in the same world and with most of the same characters) comes out in the US soon, right?

It just came out, yeah. It's #1 in my gamefly queue. It's getting a lot of bad ratings. Only at a 6.4 :(

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Cool Cool Cool posted:

Speaking of charm, what are some other delightfully charming rpg's? The only one's I've ever liked enough to complete were Skies of Arcadia and Final Fantasy IX, if that gives any indication. I can play pretty much anything that isn't on PS3 or 360 or too new on PC.

Super Mario RPG!

Paper Mario games as well.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I saw someone mention that new Altier game a few pages back so it reminded me of something, how are the Altier Iris games? The game shop near me has all 3 and I could pick them up for about :10bux: each so just wondering if they're any good.

My sister was totally in love with whatever the last one to come out on ps2 was. Basically, if you like RPG's and have a completionist fetish where you want tons and tons of items...it's your series. If you want a strong story and deep characters...not so much.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

I would really like to know if any RPG fans love the obscure SNES game Paladin's Quest. This game was one of the first "one-handed" rpg's. All the battle commands could be done with the D-pad. I loved the game so much because it was in a completely unique world, the entire game was in pastel colors, and magic spells take HP to cast, so HP takes on a whole new meaning. You also have mercs as partners and they never gain exp. You switch partners when they are not useful to you anymore. Such a good game!

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

monkeyboydc posted:

I've never played Warsong, but this sounds really interesting. I'll start looking into it asap. Thanks!

You should play Warsong! It had some of the best music on the Genesis and it's hard as heck...like a prototype of Fire Emblem.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Centipeed posted:

This is a bit of a specific request, but can anyone recommend an RPG with decent summons (FFVII or Disgaea 2 style summons - big dragons and poo poo that look awesome) that can be gained solely through player progression and not story progression? For example, you use one summon enough and get the next one?

Also, I mentioned Disgaea, but SRPGs have never grabbed me, even though I've tried playing them, so turn based or real-time JRPGs only, if possible.

Tough request. Have you played any of the SMT games like the Persona series? You start out summoning pixies and angels but by the end you are summoning Gods like Odin, Lucifer, Beelzebub, etc.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Incidentally, since April 1st is coming up and I'm probably gonna dig into it, any good awful RPG suggestions? Current list is over here, always keeping an ear out for some other terrible title I've missed. Really need to update it with current-gen stuff/see if some of the suggestions are even RPGs...

I really liked the game Vay. It's under Sega, but it's a Sega CD game if I recall correctly. Be sure to collect all the armor pieces in the final dungeon and your main character's model will change into the robot suit.

If you want to add a new title to your list, add Thousand Arms for PS1. Date girls to get stronger! Weeee!

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

TehGherkin posted:

Still haven't found a solution to this so if anyone knows what I can do about it, that'd be great, is there a savegame editor that'd allow me to reset my levels and class to jedi, then give myself the appropriate amount of experience? Even that'd be a boon at this point.

I know by the end of the game I'll be more than powerful enough anyway but there's something about those lost Jedi levels that really bothers me deep down, maybe that's why I replayed the sequel but never this one before; you start off as a Jedi (Although Peragus is an arguably shittier "intro area" than Talos or whatever you start on in KotOR)

Nothing forces you to level up. Just start the game over. You will have one level as your starting class (maybe 2 if the tutorial forces you to level I can't remember). Then, when you hit the jedi part, level like crazy.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Bleusilences posted:

For awhile I was in your same situation because there is actually almost no title that fits. So the series that fit the mold is shin megami tensei, they are usually set in the present day. You also have the shadow heart series that is set in modern time, albeit it's in the early 1900s. There is definitively a void there to fill.

Also, the Yakuza games are great action/RPG's if you don't mind the Japan setting.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

If you don't mind strategy, the Front Mission games have a fairly modern setting. FM3 is one of my all time favs and has a great soundtrack!

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

Anyone have any tips on how to keep Battle Rating down in Last Remnant? Fights are certainly getting harder, and with my compulsion to explore every little nook and cranny, the situation's not getting any better :smithicide:

If you are playing the PC version, it's not such a big deal. Console...I think you are supposed to rush the game and play again in new game+.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

All this OB talk is making me want to play it again. One thing to keep in mind in MotBQ is that item finds are very random. This can vastly change your gameplay. Let me tell you about the time I found a crown on the (first or second can't remember) map. See crowns make princesses and that leads to fun times...

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Endorph posted:

Lost Odyssey was cool but the problem was that the story told through the '1000 years of dreams' segments was, well, a thousand times more interesting than the actual main plot.

This is true. Also, you need to level the annoying kid characters or you can get stuck on a boss fight at one point.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

I thought that was Kyle? Isn't Nash the rear end in a top hat wizard?

Nash is indeed the wizzzzard with the flashy hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

If you like Brigandine: the Legend of Forsena, you should check out Vanguard Bandits. It's another turn based strategy game made around the same time. It's basically medieval Gundam Wars.