Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
It's a shame most jRPGs lately are just character portraits bantering on and on in 15 minute conversations. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

If I recall my first play through of Xenosaga 1 was like 9 hours without rushing. So yeah they were gonna stretch that garbage out for 6 games. At least the .hack games were fun for their 7 or so hours of game.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Sorry if already posted, but one of the better RPGs of last gen, Lost Odyssey for the 360 is free until the 31st. It's also playable on the BONE if you have one with a better frame rate here and there.

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Lost-Odyssey/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307fa

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Yay Phantasy Star chat!

I played each one when they first came out and loved every single one of them. Even PS3 which was rough around the edges. I dunno it had good graphics for it's time, decent music here and there, and multiple endings in a RPG which was a lot of replay value. I would love a remake of PS3 where they fix it's issues because underneath it's not that bad. Plus it explained that crazy batshit PS2 ending!

My dad rented PS2 from a store that got it early and paid $15 which was a 3 day rental because around this time the Genesis came out and was still hot poo poo. We were so happy when the retail copy arrived with that hint book because holy poo poo we needed it for those dungeons on Dezoris.

I haven't played the Playstation 2 remakes past the first 30 minutes just to try them out and the PS1 seems decent. The PS2 one has some really bad mspaint going on for cutscenes.

I started Cosmic Star Heroine on PS4 last night and so far it's Phantasy Star/Chrono Trigger on SegaCD. Game is still buggy as poo poo so I recommend saving often. If they added a scan-line filter option that would be a great option.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I know no one gives a poo poo. But because of the quality of life improvements, people can almost speed run FFXI. This guy is about 12 hrs in and is a couple of hrs from killing the Shadowlord.

https://www.twitch.tv/elfonzyo

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

Did they say if it was a completely fresh character or a just a level 1 job?

Fresh character, no AH or any other player assistance. They made a final attempt at lv 55 and would have had it, but the Physical Immunity phase of the ShadowLord was unwinnable at this point.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Pretty cool, the guy started up again got to 60 and was able to beat the Shadowlord in 17 hrs

The big problem is the magic immune phase, it took a couple of attempts to get the trusts to cast offensive magic at the right time. So now the streamer is going to optimize and try RDM next time.

I think this could be doable in 12 hours since someone can already poopsock to 60 in 8 hrs.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

PHANTASY STAR

gently caress yes, and with all the points I got from Smash Bros and Pokemon this game is nearly free.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Ofecks posted:

Oh cool, I don't keep up with modern consoles so I didn't know there was a Switch port. And that's good that it has the audio option.

SMS has some cool stuff on it. There's a couple other RPGs on it, Miracle Warriors (a bit clunky compared to PS, though) and Golden Axe Warrior (more like Zelda). Compile's games are pretty good - Govellius (a very good zelda clone), the Power Strikes, etc. Astro Warrior is a very simple, straightforward shmup that was a pack-in on some systems. Also definitely check out Wonderboy in Monster Land and Wonderboy 3, although if you have a way to play TurboGrafx 16/PC-Engine games, the versions on that console (Bikkuriman World, Dragon's Curse, respectively) are technically superior.

There's also an Alf game. Yes, ALF. It is just as horrendous as you'd imagine.

SMS has a lot of fun games, and one of my favorites was Rescue Mission where you had these 3 medics(which had different stats) riding on a mine cart and you had to protect them with a lightgun while they drove around a battlefield healing wounded soldiers. The flashes are from the lightgun shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS4894A6xl4

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Man this Phantasy Star release on the Switch is now my favorite. These quality of life improvements now make this game recommend for all my friends who would otherwise hate it.

Faster walking speed.
Fast Forward (have to bind this to a button)
4x Money
Less Encounters
Dungeon Map
Item, Armor, Weapons Lists

It makes that opening grind for $$$ a fuckload quicker.

If you want to play it back in the day like I did as a kid with the original mode you can as well.

My only quirk is that the Pro Controller is causing me to bump into houses and people when I don't want to :smith:

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Just finished Phantasy Star on the Switch, that was fun and the QoL improvements like that fast forward made the game pretty fun to replay. The $$$ and xp changes did a great job of reducing grind time. It probably would have nice to have the proper translation but oh well.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Well I feel dumb, earlier in the week I bought the new Ys game that went up on PS4 a couple of weeks ago. I was about 10 hrs in and got to a boss and got stuck. My options were title screen, load, and retry. At that point I realized I never saved the game and thought the checkpoint monoliths were handing that.

I wasn't really enjoying it as much as the other Ys games so the will to redo all that again sucks :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I feel bad, I requested an actual refund on a console game and I usually don't do this even if the game is terrible. But that Star Ocean 6 font is so loving small and I'm not moving furniture to sit closer to my TV.