Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
new lulua screens

e:

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man, like. I thought I liked Firis reasonably enough but you post this and I'm just like "wait who even is that guy was he a party member???", so I try and list the party members in Firis mentally and it's actually really hard? It's like, Firis, her sister, early game shonen guy, rival alchemy girl, old mercenary dude, ruins researcher person and... That's the limit of my memory. And I think early game shonen guy was DLC but I swear I don't remember getting the DLC for Firis...

he's one of the first characters you meet in the game lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37q653ODL9g

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A determination to fist

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i started rorona and it's interesting playing this at the same time as persona where there's a similar pleasure to how thoroughly Designed the ui and presentation and everything is. i didn't get that feel from L&S as much.

also the battle music is incredible

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
why does the males art look so different from the females? it's some atelier iris one quality, right there.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Tales of Woe posted:

i started rorona and it's interesting playing this at the same time as persona where there's a similar pleasure to how thoroughly Designed the ui and presentation and everything is. i didn't get that feel from L&S as much.

also the battle music is incredible

If it's Rorona Plus/DX, it has the benefit of being a remake where they could focus on that stuff. Totori isn't as tightly designed, though Meruru totally is and is definitely the best of that series

e:
also it has a pretty good battle theme itself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg-nX--d3fU

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 13, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I feel like I maybe should have used a guide in Rorona since there's a ton of stuff I obviously missed. The guide probably could have just said "rotate party members instead of just using your two favorites, idiot" over and over and accomplished the same thing though

I assume that the Pie tab of recipes is supposed to have more than one entry in it by where I am, the middle of the third year

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Try making a pie of quality 80 or more

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 13, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Couldron pie...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Escha has the best explanation for cooking with alchemy

"The government will pay to duplicate any items I make with alchemy. So, I synthesized dessert"

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I feel like I maybe should have used a guide in Rorona since there's a ton of stuff I obviously missed. The guide probably could have just said "rotate party members instead of just using your two favorites, idiot" over and over and accomplished the same thing though

I assume that the Pie tab of recipes is supposed to have more than one entry in it by where I am, the middle of the third year

I vaguely recall the expression "pie ending"...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm gonna pick the Esty ending

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
PHANTASY STAR

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

PHANTASY STAR

A U T O M A P

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

Couldron pie...

couldron pie is cold

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

CYBEReris posted:

A U T O M A P

god fuckin' bless

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

kirbysuperstar posted:

PHANTASY STAR

I'm playing it for the first time, bit rocky at the start but now I have a dude and some hosed up cat thing.

Fell down a hole and still almost died in the first proper dungeon though, must remember teleport items.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

CYBEReris posted:

A U T O M A P

Hell yeah.

Plus every enemy seems to drop a treasure chest now and I don't remember that happening before.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

U-DO Burger posted:

Despite all of it's flaws I love XCX to death. I just wish the endgame grind for parts consisted of more than just doing boss time trials for hours. It competely killed my drive to keep going

I found it funny how World Tyrants were basically zero risk fights if you had 2, maybe 3 people who knew how to use skells because the boss just spent 99% of the fight locked down so even a low level player could and would be able to survive the fight because the boss rarely had the chance to take any action at all.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm playing it for the first time, bit rocky at the start but now I have a dude and some hosed up cat thing.

Fell down a hole and still almost died in the first proper dungeon though, must remember teleport items.

There's at least one pit trap much later in the game that you actually can't get out of without magic or items, although the game kinda telegraphs it.

Delsaber posted:

Hell yeah.

Plus every enemy seems to drop a treasure chest now and I don't remember that happening before.

They always did, although treasure drops aren't necessarily proportionate to monster difficulty; some enemies give crap XP and money for how much of a pain they are to fight, while others are loot pinatas. I dunno if anything got rebalanced for this release or not.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

My Xenoblade X story is that I've been reading SA for 9 years from when I first used Photoshop Phriday as a reference for my beginner graphic design class and only decided to register in order to post in Kuvo's Xenoblade X LP thread, only for him to delete all the videos two days later as part of an April Fools joke and replace the entire thread with Spelunky

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

kirbysuperstar posted:

PHANTASY STAR

gently caress yes, and with all the points I got from Smash Bros and Pokemon this game is nearly free.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Finished Rorona. Esty ending was very good (though it isn't in any of the guides I've been able to find so I guess it's a ghost ending). I heard the bonus content is set much later, during the events of Meruru? Should I come back to it after finishing the other two games or am I good to just head right in?

I think ultimately the strict time limit of Rorona works against the modern Atelier game, and it's no surprise they first loosened the time pressure and then eliminated it entirely. There kept being times where I went "well, I could make a kickass item with alchemy...but that would take like 10 days after accounting for all the intermediate synthesis, better not" was frustratingly large and that's not a good feeling. The time pressure also meant that I really didn't want to mess around keeping all my party members up to date (though in the end I think the game is easy enough I could have just soloed most content with Rorona as I dragged useless bodies around with her). It's a very comfy, relaxed game and easily earns its spot as the fifth Atelier game on my top ten list for the year. Maybe if I'm fast I can finish Totori and have six Atelier games in my top ten

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Finished Rorona. Esty ending was very good (though it isn't in any of the guides I've been able to find so I guess it's a ghost ending). I heard the bonus content is set much later, during the events of Meruru? Should I come back to it after finishing the other two games or am I good to just head right in?

It's fine to do the postgame now if you want to. It's not full of spoilers or anything, just some character cameos.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Couple of Phantasy Star 1 questions, is there any way of selling old equipment or should I just drop everything I don't need? And what does chatting to monsters do and should I be doing it a lot?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Couple of Phantasy Star 1 questions, is there any way of selling old equipment or should I just drop everything I don't need? And what does chatting to monsters do and should I be doing it a lot?

There's a second hand store in Camineet (can't remember if there's any others) that will hock your trash for you. As for talking, sometimes you can get info or avoid a battle with it. I don't think you ever get items or anything.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's a second hand store in Camineet (can't remember if there's any others) that will hock your trash for you. As for talking, sometimes you can get info or avoid a battle with it. I don't think you ever get items or anything.

Also, if you try to talk and get a message that you can't understand each other, there's no point trying again with the same monster type: a particular species can either be talked to or it can't, there's no random factor involved. The regular Talk command doesn't work on many things, but you get magic later on that can let you talk to a wider range of creatures.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh right, I'd been in all the 'second-hand' shops I've seen but didn't see any sell option so I just thought it was late 80's translation for a general items store (considering its next to a 'First Food' burger shop). Thanks!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Well, there's no-one else in line so uh..you're getting your food...first? Oops.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I did not realize until tonight that Rorona increasingly aggressively tells you to go to bed on the title screen the later you play

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

I think ultimately the strict time limit of Rorona works against the modern Atelier game, and it's no surprise they first loosened the time pressure and then eliminated it entirely. There kept being times where I went "well, I could make a kickass item with alchemy...but that would take like 10 days after accounting for all the intermediate synthesis, better not" was frustratingly large and that's not a good feeling. The time pressure also meant that I really didn't want to mess around keeping all my party members up to date (though in the end I think the game is easy enough I could have just soloed most content with Rorona as I dragged useless bodies around with her). It's a very comfy, relaxed game and easily earns its spot as the fifth Atelier game on my top ten list for the year. Maybe if I'm fast I can finish Totori and have six Atelier games in my top ten

I think the time constraint is good because it kept them from obnoxious things like expecting you to make 999 quality items by doing a quality loop for hours, as seen in the Mysterious games

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I uh

dunno that that's expected

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I did not realize until tonight that Rorona increasingly aggressively tells you to go to bed on the title screen the later you play
the earlier atelier games had tons of stuff like that, i kind of miss it

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

cheetah7071 posted:

That's like Ness' father in EarthBound calling periodically to remind you that you've been playing too long. In the Virtual Console version, unless you reset periodically you're bound to get those a lot, because the VC emulators save state where you leave off.

Fire Emblem Warriors also does something very similar, where the character you choose as your system voice will remind you that it's late if you're playing at night. I work graveyard shift, game! Just because I'm playing at 3:30 AM doesn't mean I'm not getting enough sleep! :argh:

TalkingBasically
Aug 19, 2018
Which NEP game should I play if I want to finish it in a day?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If that's the only stipulation Producing Perfection I guess since there only about an hour of content in it. It's awful though.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of which, Brave Neptune is out on the 20th in Japan. That's the Valkyrie Profile style game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dehry posted:

Speaking of which, Brave Neptune is out on the 20th in Japan. That's the Valkyrie Profile style game.

It's not actually by IF, right? Maybe it'll be good.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Infinity Gaia posted:

It's not actually by IF, right? Maybe it'll be good.

The trailers look aggressively bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The biggest thing it has going is that the game might actually be canon to the mainline series (or the Rebirth 1 universe) as some kind of prequel. Two of the "new" characters are blatantly younger versions of antagonists previously seen in the series and share the same voice actor.