Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Amppelix posted:

I'm about to start playing Breath of Fire IV. I remember the franchise not being the most user-friendly sort, so should I just get a guide ready for obscure poo poo or is this a game I can easily figure out on my own?

Its pretty easy to figure out on your own, but there's a couple of points where the game will drag and you might want to pull out a guide just to speed things along though.

Just remember if an enemy uses an ability and the text is in blue, then you can learn that skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

WA3 is a really good game and I can't wait to re-buy it on PS4 since I can't find my old copy (I lost it alongside Star Ocean 3 but losing that one was a blessing)

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Is it coming out on PS4?

It was recently re-rated by ESRB along with a handful of other PS2 games. No details as for a release date/announcement have been made yet though.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

started up Persona 2 Eternal Punishment. i haven't played any of the personas yet so i figured i'd start with the earliest one i could get on my ps3. it's pretty neat so far i've gotta say, love finding new combo attacks.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Endorph posted:

i really liked the combat but the damage on enemies was scaled a little too high so it was really wasy to just get insta-gibbed by some random gimmick

so that's why my party explodes whenever a group of casters comes around

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i just finished tales of berseria a few days ago

graces still has my favorite combat but otherwise ToB is top of the hill as far as tales games go

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

FF15 should've been about 4 boys on a road trip to a Gackt concert in Niflheim and it would've been perfect

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

locking all of the fun poo poo like judiths aerial control in the last 3rd of the game sucked.

and you can like the game all you want! nobody is telling you different. nobody is also attacking you by not caring for it!

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i feel weird for wanting a graces f remaster considering i just have to dust off and plug in my ps3 to play it... but i have to dust off and plug in my ps3 to play it!

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

In Pillars 2, does Overseeing increase Barbarians Cleave AoE?

i think overseeing does work with the barbarians carnage yeah

e; picked up again working on the first of vesperias post-game dungeons. got a good way though (only getting two fake coins heh) until i got into a fight against karols old guild members. i got unlucky with the aoe of a mystic arte and every one got fatal striked. :shepicide: lol two hours lost.

Joey McChrist fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 18, 2020

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i'm currently playing through it and the fan-translation adds in the run button if you decide to go with that.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

The Colonel posted:

bofiv has masters but i think it tones them down so much that there's basically only one actually worth using? idk i'm only like four hours in and just met the first one

they're still quite useful for the stat increases on level up, they just changed how they give you new skills. instead of leveling up various amounts you have to do things like perform a 10/20/30-hit combo or bring certain items to them. there are also less of them iirc? its been a while since i played.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i'm playing the famicom tales of phantasia for the first time and wow this is pretty hard at some points?? i got brickwalled by the boss just before you get arche and actually had to grind out a couple of levels just to have enough hp to deal with it.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

having a total blast with trials of mana. went with duran/angela/kevin for my first run-through. the text for charlottes dialogue was far more annoying then it actually sounded. i thought it was pretty great especially if you pretend its a thick boston accent. :v:

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i'm wrapping up trophies in tales of graces and hooo boy grinding that eleth mixer to 9999 :shepicide:

game is still a lot of fun though, been playing on evil mostly

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

The Colonel posted:

tfw you see a jrpg guide say "your party members should have 4000hp by now" for a boss fight you beat with everyone capping at 1700

the solution those guidemakers have found for all problems is "grind until you're 10+ levels higher than everything you're facing" and that sounds boring as hell

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

iirc the localization keeps getting worse as the game goes on

I decided a whole ago that Legend of Dragoon was better left in my memories. it blew my mind at the time - those battle animations! the characters call out their attack names so cool - but doesn’t have much to offer today

i hilariously enough bought it on the ps3 about a year ago and did a replay and yeah, definitely holds up better in your memories. at least my wife and i had the fun of yelling VOLCANO and ROSE STORM at each other across the house

i'm forever having the urge to buy and replay a game a little while before a remaster is announced and released. i did it with chrono cross too lol

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i must've definitely beelined straight for the story the first time i played FF13 because i stuck around doing all the hunts i possibly could on chapter 11 before advancing and everything is easy-peasy so far. i've even got a surplus of CP that i'm hanging onto so i can max out my primary roles before starting up the secondary ones. i also didn't mind the whole leadup to this point of the game, with the party splits. i had a lot of fun getting to know the characters and eat up the worlds lore. good game.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i started playing lightning returns for the first time last week, and its been really really good. it might honestly go down as one of my favorite entries in the FF series at this rate. healed up my chocobo buddy and named him halcyon :)

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Wait, is this a gameplay segment, or something you just read about in text / lore?

despite how batshit crazy it sounds it is aggressively mediocre to play

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

looks like a cover for a racing game. i like it tbh

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

god SO4 looked terrible

also don't know if i've ever played a game as aggressively mid

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

my wife got me xenoblade chronicles x for a late xmas/early b-day present and i've been hooked on it. finally got my skell license and bought the cool heavy one (amdusias iirc?) do i need to buy one for every team member or do they get their own eventually? money seems to come by pretty easy in this game so it shouldn't take too long to build up the cash (i've still got over a mill after buying that skell frame)

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

The Colonel posted:

tales of graces... f... remastered... p, please... *cough*

the disc drive motor in my ps3 finally croaked help us out here bamco

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

you missed one VG

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

tropical slowpoke theme ftw

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Nobody Interesting posted:

Don't sleep on the Kingdom Come II announcement. Holy moly they went all out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R48DEEjyS5k

how was the first one?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

thinking about playing some wild arms after wrap up dq11. need a vote gang, 2 or 3? i played 1 last year so those two are the picks

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

magilou is great. sounds like a skill issue to me

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i'd just keep going chronologically so i could appreciate the QoL changes as they come in. you're on abyss now right? so it'd be vesperia next i think?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

colonel and endorph could tell you more about tales of hearts r i'm not sure where that fits in as i never had a vita to play it :smith:

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

playing some FF5. went into the gil cave to fill out my bestiary. lol gently caress fighting the gil turtle more than once. only got through with krile hitting blizzagas while lenna kept up golem to deal with the counters.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i should get around to KH3 at some point. that and BBS are the only two i haven't played yet

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

kingdom hearts is ftw

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Endorph posted:

i liked with wwe video games where for a long while you couldnt show triple h (who if you dont know wrestling is married to vince mcmahons daughter) 'in a position of weakness' in your review footage or screenshots, or promotional material. any other wrestler, fine, show the actual champion getting thrown around. just not triple h.

disney has the hulk hogan creative control clause

"well we could have sora team up with anna to save elsa and-"
"that doesn't work for me brother"

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Endorph posted:

every time they pipe in crowd cheering in olympus in kh1 and 2 even though theres visibly nobody in the stands is incredible

its genuinely funny af. i love that they didn't bother to change it at all for the HD remasters

where were you when the keyblade master bodyslammed the ice titan in front of 10 billion screaming phantom soramaniacs

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Even with the insane restrictions didnt the whole "disney princess' line happen because some big wig saw his daughter playing with two seperate disney princess dolls together and it blew his mind that someone would want to "mix brands". Completely alien brained company.

yeah, i've got a little kid so its basically glued on disney junior all day but they finally relented on that and put out sofia the first back in the 2010s, which is basically disney princess avengers

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i see a nopon im grabbing a brick playtime is over

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

really didnt care for troubleshooter, i think i just hate x-com style gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i played the crap out of awakening but i bounced off of both times i tried birthright and conquest. vibed with absolutely none of the characters or story :(