Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm looking forward to playing this Star Ocean 2 remake (after I finish up Cyberpunk). Never played a Star Ocean before and this sounds really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What party members are good to aim for in SO2 if I don't care as much about gameplay (since it sounds like you can become strong regardless of who's in your party) and mainly just want to get "the ones who are the most interesting"? I'll be playing with Claude.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rascyc posted:

I would seriously consider skipping the game if you don't care about gameplay. If it's more that you're not concerned about gameplay just pick on aesthetics and don't set your aim too high, yeah.

I do care about gameplay, but not to the extent of wanting to choose party members on the basis of who is Optimal.

I'm also fine with characters being tropes, as long as they're entertaining tropes. Melodrama is also good and welcome. The more melodrama the better.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jeez, the visual style of this game (SO2R) is great. Just really pretty to look at.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just unlocked the IC/speciality stuff. Apparently my Claude has only one Talent (Rhythm Sense lol - clearly he was a nepotism hire in the Space Military). But this seems to maybe be good because you get 100 SP for unlocking a new Talent (which doesn't seem that hard to do - I put SP into everything that only cost a small amount, got Crafting (plus a bunch of other stuff), and after only making a few things that gave me Originality and Nimble Fingers).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm guessing I should always use that ability that increases BP/SP at the cost of Fol? I don't seem to be having any problems getting Fol.

Also - should I just sell the assortment of random accessories I've been crafting that don't seem very good? And are there any item "traits" that are particularly desirable?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What exactly causes you to get broken in SO2R? It seems like sometimes I get hit a lot from all sides without it happening, while others it just happens instantly in one hit.

Feels bad losing all my orbs when that happens. It's also often hard to see when guys are attacking when there's a lot going on due to the effects.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

If you mistime a dodge you get broke.

Ah, thanks. So I should probably not dodge when there are lots of enemies near me, since that's usually how I end up eating poo poo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The dodge is good against single enemies, yeah. Dodges are the way I beat the first boss on Universe (I'll probably be forced to lower the difficulty at some point, but I'm sticking with it as long as I can - the infinite retries when you die helps a lot, and I like feeling some pressure to use the various systems a lot), since it 1-shots you on Universe and the dodges give you guaranteed "safe" damage.

BTW, what are some good combat abilities to upgrade? Those are hard to decide, since you aren't given any specifics and I don't know what skills I'll learn in the future on each character. Plus the cost is "non-trivial" (at least for now).

Also, is it a good idea to do something like remove Rena's starting heal from her spell list once she gets the second one? Not sure how her AI will use them and I *think* the second is more MP efficient? That's another thing - I have no idea how efficient each skill is, since I can't find any concrete damage numbers/multipliers.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ardryn posted:

All your melee fighters will want Godspeed maxed and your casters will want Hasten Speech maxed, past that is more personal preference, though throwing a few points of Godspeed on the casters will help them run away if they survive a hit. I like Guardbreak to zero out high def assholes and Power Burst for the character I control, while the AIs get the defense abilities first to help them not die as much (they will still die). Breaker will probably depend on whether you set your assault to have more break abilities vs things like healing. On Universe, spellcasters are basically always in a state of mortal peril so it's probably best to relegate Rena and co. to the backline once you get enough mans and just have her best group heal on assault.

I haven't noticed Rena use the baseline heal once everyone's HP got high enough and she knew the better heals, the AI isn't stellar but it also isn't quite a bag of rocks. Though on Universe I wouldn't leave anything to chance and I would just disable anything that would distract Rena from her healbot duty.

Ah, I think I used the wrong term, because I was referring to the combat skills like Air Slash, etc. Are any of the early game ones worth investing in?

I've been putting my points into Godspeed and Hasten Speech otherwise. The only downside is that Godspeed sometimes teleports me in front of enemies who happen to be near the enemy I was teleported behind.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ah, nice - I just got Helmet Break.

What about magic? Does it follow typical JRPG rules where I'll later learn magic that straight-up outclasses earlier magic?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There are 32 Skills that you put points into for each character. There are 18 IC abilities that are derived from these skills. In addition to crafting items, you can lower you stats in exchange for a greater EXP gain, or summon an animal to buy items from a shop while in a dungeon.

I tried doing this but it didn't come back soon after (so I went ahead and fought the cave's boss, which is why I was was using the pigeon thing in the first place). Does it maybe take like 10 minutes or something?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SO2R - Is there anything stopping you from buying a bunch of iron, transmuting it into (insert higher quality gem), turning that into accessories, and selling said accessories for infinite money? I feel like I must be missing something in this process.

It's also silly that you can make all these books that are seemingly able to get a bunch of skills to level 7 on people. There's so much goofy stuff you can do with all these systems. Even pick-pocketing seems to have. O downside, since you can simply craft ththis food that let's you do it for "free" twice, and you can just buy the ingredients at any general store.

Edit: Also, how do you use "fishy fragrance"? It's not in the bait menu and I can't use it from the item menu.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 7, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I got the rabbit thing. Now I can seemingly run Literally Everywhere. Getting all these chests on mountains and stuff.

Runa posted:

play it whenever something hinky's going down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENL0nPskSao

I knew exactly what that link was going to be

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Books On Tape posted:

Persona 5 is a game I want to play, but I have this hangup in RPGs about being able to grind out levels if I want to, even if you dont really need to. I know I can use Mementos or whatever its called in P5 to do this, but that takes up valuable time to make social connections right? Is it true that there's no real way to grind out XP or personas without costing time? Even regular dungeons dont allow this because of how expensive it is to replenish SP. Unless I'm missing something.

It'd be nice to just be able to go to a dungeon at the end of the day when you've done everything else and work on your party/personas.

P5R is a truly easy game outside of its optional superboss(es). I'm a person who is bad at games, and I found P5R on both Hard and Merciless* trivially easy beyond the second dungeon or so. It just gives you too many ways to become strong.

Also, Mementos will overlevel you whether you want it to or not, unless you deliberately ignore the XP upgrades.

* People will say Hard is harder than Merciless, and this is sorta true for normal play. Merciless makes it easier to do more damage to enemies, but also creates a real risk of enemies hitting character weaknesses or critting. In the end it doesn't really matter much either way, since you'll still end up overpowered unless you deliberately handicap yourself.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

I finally got ahold of SO2R. I went with Claude and picked Galaxy difficulty, which I was a bit worried about going in, because I wasn't sure what traits I'd get (the game doesn't let you check until you reach Arlia), but it looks like I got 'Nimble Fingers' which I'm guessing is the remake's equivalent of the Dexterity trait, so I'm set if I want to do the stealing exploits. :toot:

It's not actually necessary in this. You can teach yourself Nimble Fingers pretty easily by crafting with the character in question (and same for most other talents and their respective IC specialties I believe).

Also, you should be able to check as soon as you leave the starting forest via the Status menu (but as mentioned it doesn't really matter much).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

I'm glad to hear you can learn it easily in the remake. I feel like I should just play the game normally, but getting OP early on is very tempting. Then again, I got lost trying to figure out everything you needed to do, and it sounds like there's a lot of RNG save-scumming involved.

That's the great thing - you can still get OP early on. I got a Goodie Box from (I think) one of the many challenges, and I think that can be turned into overpowered weapons if I wanted. And the challenges themselves give you tons of money/points/items.

I'm actually playing on Universe despite being new to the series, at least until I hit a wall where I no longer can.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

So I've finally made it through all the opening bits in SO2R, putting me roughly where I was when I tried playing the PS1 version (i.e. being able to explore on the world map). I tried some of the same strats I did previously, such as going to the Lasgus Mountains to try and fight some of the balloons (?) that only drain XP, and I had one encounter where I fought two of them, which netted Rena three quick levels. However, all the other encounters were against other enemies, meaning I had no chance to survive.

I then headed out east to Harley (the port town) because I remember that's where the Thief's Gloves being. However, I don't have enough for them yet. I've got maybe around 2,000 FOL, but you need 40,000 FOL to buy them, so I don't know if there's a way of getting money for them quickly.

It could be that I'm jumping the gun a bit on some of this, and I'm not ready to do a lot of this stuff. I've arrived in Krosse, and I still don't have access to learning skills (some menu items are still locked out with '???'). I want to know, though, if there's anything I should focus on, or keep in mind not to forget in case I can't access it later (I know that one of the early towns get destroyed after you progress a couple of story beats).

Easiest way to get money is probably to level up the Purity specialty, since it directly gives you money when you level it up. Very easy to get 40k that way.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ornamented Death posted:

Are you guys just stealing everything from every NPC? The actual hit to affection is very minor and if you're chasing endings, you're going to be using books to set affection levels anyhow, thus making the whole thing kind of pointless. I just stole things that looked rare/unique and never really noticed the times affection dropped.

I just made a bunch of the food that prevent losing affection for two steals. Though most NPCs don't have anything I want.

One thing that confuses me is that this one NPC had Thief's Gloves on it to pickpocket. But I thought Thief's Gloves were a prerequisite to be able to pickpocket. So what's the point? I actually did steal it in the hopes that I could sell it for a bunch, but I don't think I can (since it appears to be some sort of key item).

TurnipFritter posted:

You can put points into the skill that boosts how much Blackberries and Blueberries restore and you can turn off specific spells if you don't want, for example, Rena to constantly spam Press or Deep Mist against enemies that Claude can one-shot.

Writing is good, it lets you raise certain skills up to level 7 without using skill points. Claude has a pretty good chance of getting the Writing-related talent too. There are a few characters who are technically guaranteed to have the talent for it but you can have Claude's Writing skill maxed out before you meet them so.

I was concerned about MP use at first, until I realized that you can just end up with a zillion foods, many of which will restore MP.

SirSamVimes posted:

Imo it really sucks that if you play the definitive version of persona 5 the game dumps a massive pile of currency and consumables in your inventory. I want to play the game as it was tuned, I don't want a boost!

That's nothing compared to all the DLC personas. I'm normally unwilling to handicap myself in games, but I still set a personal rule that I wasn't willing to use any DLC personas that I didn't fuse myself.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BabyRyoga posted:

Random hate for VGM composers is one of the most internet things i've ever witnessed. This is the first time i've ever heard of anyone hatin' on Sakuraba, so I assume it's just some weird attempt to shift the meta of some sub-sect of trolling, but I always cringe a bit when a new Ys or Trails game comes around and the Singa haters burrow out of the soil and resurface.

If you look at Trails OSTs on Youtube, there are a bunch of people that absolutely despise one of the composers (Singa) for some reason. It's very weird.

For example the comment by this @DasMondesBlut fellow on this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF46P1IFtYw

quote:

Sounds like a coalescence of boredom and mediocrity without any clear vision or destination. At least it's surprisingly inoffensive for being a Singa track, albeit completely forgettable.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clarste posted:

I... like video game music.

Speaking for myself -- I hate it. You don't even want to be near me when video game music starts playing, because I just start seeing red.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Colonel posted:

zero and azure are pretty good you can play them if you want. but, stopping after cs2 to go back and play them, is not actually required for anyone but a superfan who was just playing the games as they came out in english. falcom did not write 13 jrpgs split into four arcs expecting people would buy the two newest games and then go back down to play the psp ones

One thing I'll say is that the ending of CS2 is extremely cool if you've played Zero/Azure and don't know what to expect. Probably one of the coolest moments in the entire franchise at the time I played it, even if it's probably not quite at that level in hindsight.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Runa posted:

I like some modern jrpgs more than most of the games on baby ryoga's personal S-tier list.

Yeah, a number of those games don't hold up very well IMO. I got into RPGs as a teenager in the early '00s and went back to play a lot of the SNES and PS1 ones I had missed, and a lot are just too dated in story and/or gameplay to enjoy if you play them in later eras (and this wasn't even that much later). I wasn't even able to finish most of them. Chrono Trigger, FF5, and...I think Bahamut Lagoon* are the only SNES ones I was able to finish. Maybe also Terranigma or something? I distinctly remember repeatedly trying to play Lunar Silver Star Story and just not being able to get into it.

This is a bit of a controversial opinion, but even FF6 I don't think holds up that great without a nostalgia factor. The gameplay isn't anything special, and the story/characters aren't that interesting. I made many failed attempts at completing it in high school and college, only to always lose interest after like 10-15 hours. In contrast, Chrono Trigger felt like it's plot was a lot "tighter" in comparison, and FF5 holds up better because the gameplay is still pretty compelling.

* I remember nothing about this game other than the fact that I finished it and apparently enjoyed it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It is late and I'm just vaguely confused at why people are suddenly posting about furries in this RPG thread. Frowning IRL right now. Time to go to bed.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm kinda wondering how a lot of these Star Ocean 2 scenes play out if you didn't recruit Celine. Seems like there would need to be pretty heavy dialogue changes. Or maybe she just shows up in her home village anyways?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The woman he fell in love with was Throne's mother. They were going to have a child together and the implication is supposed to make you think he is Throne's actual father, until you get to the reveal that he and Throne's mom's child was killed by Throne's mom and she ditched him. So he raised Throne as a weird sort of revenge/genuine fatherhood/dude was loving nuuuuuuts.

I liked this plot point, because I think the game did a good job of selling Throne's "father" being emotionally conflicted and basically driven insane by the life he's lived. Probably one of the better executions of the "trope" where an antagonist sorta does "suicide by fighting the protagonist." Usually it's some goofy "I was testing you and I'm happy you passed the test" thing, but with Father he seems to genuinely desire both conflicting outcomes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Completely subjectively speaking, FF15 left a bigger impact on me than FF16. I felt like it did a better job of "creating vibes," which is an integral part of the "final fantasy experience" IMO

Tired Moritz posted:

I was gonna ask why people dislike FF16 (I don't have a PS5) but it feels... risky

I enjoyed playing FF16, but the main thing that disappointed me is that there's just nothing interesting going on with the characters or plot for the latter half, if not 2/3, of the story. A lot of my enjoyment was based on an expectation that there would be more satisfying resolutions to plot threads than there ended up being. It was kind of similar to Zero Time Dilemma in this regard - another game I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of playing, but which me feeling pretty mixed about it in the end.

I'll probably replay it at some point once it comes out on PC, just to see it in higher framerates and better graphics, but I'm not that excited for any DLCs.

I enjoyed the combat perfectly fine, though. My only gripe about the combat is that there's a very clear "correct" way to play if you want to optimize damage, and I don't consider that way of playing very fun (because it involves omitting the most fun stuff - like Titan counters - in favor of optimal rotations of a specific subset of mostly late-game abilities). You can get through the main plot without playing this way, but it did kind of bug me to realize that the only way for me to become significantly "better" was to toss aside my favorite abilities.

The Colonel posted:

the english dub is very good yes. it's honestly what carries parts of it, and it's the rare instance where it was recorded first over the japanese va. the lack of lip sync in the jp va as a result of that was honestly so distracting i couldn't play with it lol

I mostly played with the Japanese dub (but played parts and watched a bunch of clips with the English), and my feeling about it is that most side/minor characters are better in Japanese, and Japanese Clive is good during the big pivotal scenes, but English Clive is far better during all the "minor" scenes (where Japanese Clive just sounds completely disinterested and aloof). And this has a big impact, given how much time you'll spend doing non-pivotal content with Clive.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 21, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think XBC2 is the Xenoblade game that succeeds the most at Vibes. It has the best soundtrack for zones and story events of the 3 games by a significant margin IMO (its combat music is the worst, but I consider that less important).

Despite thinking that XBC3's main party is unequivocally superior in almost every possible way (the only XBC2 party members I like are Morag and Zeke, and to a somewhat lesser extent Nia), I still remember XBC2 more fondly just because of the general "feel" of the game. Each of its zones/cities and main story beats is just exceptional at setting a mood. XBC3 never pulled that off, despite also being a great game. I don't associate its zones with any specific vibes, outside of maybe the first one.

XBC2 also has much better antagonists. Jin and Malos are both really good.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah losing out on the party banter is a big shame but I'm not gonna listen to the terrible XB2 dub just for party banter

Some people really like the XBC2 dub and it's very confusing to me.

I admittedly have a pretty universal preference for the Japanese VA in JRPGs, but I can still acknowledge when the English dub is good. XBC1 and XBC3 have good English dubs. So do FF15 and FF16 (even if I think the FF15 dub fucks up Ignis's characterization). Persona 3-5 have exceptional dubs/localizations where the VAs often sound like "the Japanese VA if they were suddenly fluent in English."

But XBC2 is just too distracting with how frequently lines are poorly delivered.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lol, you can literally just print money once you get Replication in SO2R.

The best item I think I have for it is this Chicken Filet food that sells for like 15000+. Quickly built up like 700k.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean even with Malos that isn't really the case. One of the big revelations in the endgame is that his whole motivation and ideals at this point have nothing really to do with Amalthus at all, its entirely about his relationship with Jin. Perhaps the way Blades work isn't that their minds are forced to be in line with the guy who awoke but that just like any other human the way they are is shaped by the people they spend time around.

Anyway, I feel like Rex's relationship with the gals in the party is super weak and kinda drags the game down at points. Hard to care that much about the pic from XB3 though. It kinda doesn't matter much at all?

The game (and the Torna expansion in particular) is pretty clear that Malos's desire to destroy everything came from Amalthus. And Malos spends most of his time away from Amathus, so it's not just a matter of him being "nornally influenced" through interaction. He seems pretty aware that a lot of the strong emotions driving him aren't really "his." His actions in XBC2 (as opposed to Torna) are due to his relationship with Jin, but they also take the form they do largely because of the way he was warped through his connection to Amalthus. Malos wants to help Jin, and that help inevitably takes the form of destroying things because those feelings were instilled in him via his link with Amalthus. Otherwise he may have found some other way to connect with Jin.

The situation with Pyra/Mythra is less clear to me. My read on it is that Addam went out of his way to encourage Mythra to think for herself, so there was less of an influence. And it's also possible that Amathus's feelings had a greater influence just due to how obsessed he was, while Addam was just "a guy who is good." I'm not sure what Pyra's deal is, since she was created by Mythra (unless I'm forgetting some reveal about that). And as others mentioned, she had already been around a long time before Rex.

Either way, the Blade resonance stuff doesn't "mold the Blade to the Driver's liking," as someone originally implied. At most, it just sort of makes them become more like the Driver, and I think even that's usually subtle if your Driver isn't an obsessed sicko like Amalthus. And it might only be at a generational level for normal non-Aegis Blades.

Endorph posted:

were you playing the game with you arms folded or something? thats not at all how the game presents the situation and basically every time they have to kill those people it makes sure to linger on rex regretting having to do it.

and... yeah?

Yeah, the problems between Blades and Drivers can be almost entirely laid at the feet of Amalthus and his church. We see in Torna how they aggressively stamp out societies that attempt different things. With Malos and Amalthus out of the picture, "Blade society" would have turned out completely differently from what we see in XBC2.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 24, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's because they're convinced yoshiP is racist and also that depiction of any native people is inherently bad (woke segregationism) and also all these people are stupid and think the expac is racist because "north america isn't like that" (the expac is...more based on south america lol)

It's basically a bunch of resetera and twitter dipshits mad about nothing like always.

Like there was a screenshot of a railroad and people flipped out thinking we're going to enact the Trail of Tears in QTE form.

Dawntrail will end with the Scions smiling, having driven the Mamool Ja out of the New World. With the New World's boundless riches within their grasp, Eorzea will become a power that makes Garlemald at its height pale in comparison.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

pixel bitches posted:

Video Games are not just a story telling medium. They're multimedia experiences and the writting/narrative are only a small part of that. It seems insane to me to get so hung up on a slightly unconventional narrative structure in a game like octopath 2 when everything else about the game is so strong. The writing isn't even bad lol

I feel like the people who want more party interaction in the plot aren't actually clearly imagining what that would be like in practice.

Basically, there's no good way to have a more "traditional" party in Octopath 2 without sacrificing something. The stories it wants to tell about each of the characters are personal stories, often with their own supporting casts. You would have to completely change the stories in order for "the entire party being involved" to make any sense. Like seriously, just imagine the whole group of 8 (or a selected 4) being there for most of the story beats - it'd suck rear end! I can understand people who want to play a game with a single party-centered story, but that would be a completely different game and would by necessity remove most of what I like about Octopath 2.

The way I think of it is that the party are essentially just friends who travel with each other and discuss the events that happen with one another (and in 2 they also pair up for some separate quests). The only real issue with this interpretation is the presence of the party in story battles, but that's just one of countless gameplay abstractions and being super bothered by it is like being confused at how a character like Agnea can fight on a similar level with Throne or Hikari.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

credburn posted:

I think it wouldn't be hard to just add dialogue triggers where like, if you already have X in your party, then during this really touching scene X might have something to say. And if Y is also in your party, maybe they both could talk about it. There's tons of dynamic dialogue stuff you could do that wouldn't affect the actual plot in any way but add a ton of the party interaction that feels missing.

It would be strange for them to even be physically present in many/most of those scenes. And the game does have dialogue before/after events. More of that might be nice, but that's not what most people are talking about when they want the game to have a more "coherent party."

Most of the character stories involve the characters doing things independently or with other characters important to the stories in question. It'd be strange to have the other party members along during this stuff, and it'd suck rear end if Octopath tried to do the Trails thing of having everyone standing around commenting as things happen (this isn't a criticism of Trails, but it makes more sense for those games since everyone is actually involved in the plot and supposed to be there).

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Perhaps people are looking for different things in video games and while one person may like a specific video game, others may dislike them.

Anyway the parties are my fav parts of jrpgs and Octopath1 not really having any party dynamics soured me on the game and I never finished it. Still kinda want to try Octopath 2 though, people seem high on it.

I didn't enjoy Octopath 1 at all mainly because I just didn't find it's various plots interesting. The Octopath 2 plots are radically better.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ But they don't do the same thing? They usually have a single main plot. Octopath instead chooses to have 8 separate (but sometimes loosely related) plots. The closest thing to it I can think of is Live a Live than Endorph mentions below, and that has the key difference of not taking place across the same world map and setting/time period.

Endorph posted:

then why not just make them actually separate stories like live a live or something

I mean, you could do that, but I guess I just don't see what the problem is with the way Octopath did it. The party interaction we do get is still enjoyable, and I like the freedom of being able to travel around and pick and choose whose story to focus on. And, probably more importantly, the stories still take place in the same world and setting. Characters have different things happen in some of the same towns and cities.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 25, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

you not being able to grasp that other people have different priorities and wants when they play an RPG

like personally i play video games in general largely for the story. theres a few games i mostly care about the gameplay in but if the game is putting any emphasis on story at all then that becomes extremely important to me. i have played games that were very bad because i liked the story. heck some of my favorite games of all time have terrible gameplay and thrive on story. some of my favorite games of all time, are visual novels.

if you dont care about story much thats fair but theres no reason to act like the idea of other people caring a lot about it is incomprehensible.

and octopath 2 clearly wants you to care about the story and characters a lot considering there's so much of it.

I like the Octopath 2 stories, though (as opposed to Octopath 1, where I was rapidly bored by the stories). I like having 8 more concise stories vs one big sprawling one. The sprawling ones can also be just as good, but it's nice to have something different. I like that I can go to do an Octopath 2 chapter and know that I'll make meaningful progress in the narrative in question. It allows most filler to be cut from each individual story.

Edit: To be clear, I have zero problem with people not liking the game. I only disagree with the idea that the game's structure was some kind of mistake or that it's a "wrong way to make a JRPG."

pixel bitches posted:

Did ppl who struggled with Octopath 2 also struggle with FF6 cuz it seems to me they both suffer from this same complaint

Tbf I got bored with FF6 but enjoyed Octopath 2. I don't think FF6's writing and gameplay hold up very well together without the nostalgia factor (and I first tried playing FF6 when I was either in late high school or college, so the early to mid aughts). They're certainly not bad by any extent of the imagination, but I kept losing interest.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 25, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is "Fight or Flight" a good factor in Star Ocean 2 (up to 30% increase to ATK/INT/DEF as HP decreases)? I got it when crafting this fancy sword (Aeterna) and it sounds pretty good on paper since I'm usually at least somewhat hurt. I imagine I'd have at least +10% from it at most times.

Edit: lmao I'm at this shop and, with my various appraisal bonuses, I can buy Luxury Grape Juices for less than I can sell them for. Grape juice arbitrage

Edit2: I just created this item "Bloody Armor" by using Blacksmith on a Damascus. Doesn't this make you unkillable if combined with some sort of HP drain? I guess you'd be vulnerable to status effects still

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 25, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Colonel posted:

theres some neat stuff in fgo's story but i just dont enjoy how mobage play at all so by the time i started getting to it i was already too worn out

The issue I ran into is that there were just so many trash fights interspersed through all the later chapters, and they take so loving long to do. I even had a really strong party, but I'd still dread dealing with all the fights against mobs with like 100k HP.

I wish they would make another game with FGO's general story structure but more fun gameplay. Or at least faster gameplay.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kanos posted:

Hell, if you make enough decent % group healing items you can keep everyone alive solely through item usage.

I ended up making that sword a few more times and got 20% (or 10%? Forget) HP Drain on it.

It's very silly that I've done this without even directly getting advice from a guide other than how to make that sword. I've been throwing IC speciality points at stuff mostly randomly and just messing the skills a bunch. I'm playing on Universe difficulty at least, which seems like it'd be super useful pleasant if I *didn't* do this - it still takes some time to kill things even with my OP weapons.

I just recruited Bowman and I'm a little sad I decided not to recruit Precis (I've decided on at least Celine/Opera/Bowman/Ernest, not sure about the rest yet). Her introduction sequence was very silly.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

buddychrist10 posted:

Its hard to say. I loved OT2 but bounced off of OT1 and there were quite a few people who had a similar experience. I think the deciding factor may be how you felt about overworld travel. I tolerated it in OT2 because the rest of the game was so good. In OT1 the setting and plots weren't interesting enough to overcome wandering through underleveled overworld areas with too frequent encounters. If you didn't mind going between the towns too much it might be worth checking out. Also keep in mind that each character only has one path action so you'll have to do a lot more party shuffling to get access to certain actions.

Yeah, my issue in OT1 is that I just didn't care about its plots. But I wanted to find out what happened next in the OT2 ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Xalidur posted:

Heavensward is a great expansion, its problem is context because Shadowbringers and Endwalker are goddamn legendary, so it loses a lot of sheen by comparison.

On the other hand, Endwalker was such a good ending that I haven't played much of the game since and have actually been unsubscribed for awhile now. It just feels complete. I dabbled with the post-game content at first but wasn't feeling it.

So I loved it, but its effect on me is contrary to their live service goals~

I've been the same, though I fully plan on playing the next expansion. If nothing else, I'm always curious to see what sort of settings the game creates. Even Stormblood, where the main narrative was at its comparative worst, had a ton of great side content related to its various zones and beast tribes, etc. When I do play the next expansion, I'll probably also finally get around to doing all the DoL/H quests I've missed from the last couple expansions + the 6.X content.

The core issue is that I just don't like MMOs as a game type anymore, but that's also why FF14 succeeds in the modern era to a degree other MMOs don't. I enjoy its setting and narrative enough that I still play it despite not giving a poo poo about gear and leveling up. I think all the people constantly looking for "the next Big MMO" are simply deluded - there just aren't enough people who want to play MMOs to create a WoW-like situation again. FF14 only managed to achieve great popularity through also appealing to people like me who aren't into MMOs.