Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

This thread is my favorite thread. I love me a good RPG.

Dr_Amazing posted:

What are some more games that are in the style of the first two fallouts and Arcanum?

Planescape: Torment is the king of the old-school isometric point-and-click RPGs. It starts off simple enough: The Nameless One-- that's you-- wakes up in the morgue with amnesia and is trying to figure out how the gently caress he got there, who he is, and what exactly is going on in this bizarre city full of portals to other dimensions.

Oh, and there's a wise-cracking floating skull who taunts the enemy so hard it gives them penalties.

Wacky hijinks, dungeon-crawling, and perpetually burning wizards make it fun for the whole family.

Beyond that, Baldur's Gate and its sequel are both very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Crono/Ayla/Frog party all night.

Building on what others have said, not only can you re-fight all the bosses, if you work your way backwards through the time periods you can scoop up multiple copies of the gear. Quite useful for some of it. I'm not sure why I'm spoiling a 17 year old game.

The sidequest rewards also help immensely. The Prism helms (or dresses for the ladies) and Rainbow sword for Crono at the very least are very valuable things to bring along, and getting Frog his ultimate weapon makes it all the sweeter (and gives some closure to his otherwise unfulfilled plot arc).

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

If I remember correctly (and it's been close to a decade so I very well could not be) he should just migrate to the town on his own, and you get the item to point you in the right direction from there.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

All sidequests and you're level 45?

I didn't know that was possible. That's super-low.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ouroboros posted:

Can anyone recommend an RPG along similar lines as Dark Souls or Dragons Dogma? I enjoyed both, particularly Dark Souls with its excellent slow paced combat and high difficulty; I find combat in other skill based action games like Devil May Cry 4 too fast paced and flashy to wrap my head around. The combat in Dragons Dogma didn't feel quite as tactical but I loved the sense of danger when exploring the world, particularly at the start of the game.

To counter some obvious suggestions, I'd love to play Demons Souls but I don't own a PS3 and I have played The Witcher 2 but I found the combat a bit too floaty and imprecise; it's definitely a good game but I ultimately had to stop playing it because it just made me want to play more Dark Souls.

The Monster Hunter series has similar slow-paced combat that punishes you if you go in swinging wildly and rewards planning, although it's not precisely what you're looking for if you want the somewhat open world and sense of exploration that Dark Souls provides. Unfortunately Dark Souls is somewhat of an anomaly in the RPG world.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I picked up Tales of Graces f in preparation for Xillia come August, and the dualize system coupled with the inn requests is triggering my hoarding instinct hardcore. It's an interesting idea, but 80% of it seems to be another step in acquiring gald by dualizing monster drops into things that sell for a decent amount (not that I sell anything because I need this rotten tooth don't you understand someone might want it later), with a splash of gear crafting and item making. I do enjoy the equipment upgrading portion of it though, it's just painless enough and the shards drop often enough that I don't feel like I need to save them for the inevitable next tier of loot that's always around the corner and can pump my current stuff up to +2 or whatever I happen to get to before I hit the next shop, and get some useful crystals to equip out of it to boot.

I hadn't realized how much I missed the Tales battle system. I hadn't played one since Symphonia, and it scratches an itch.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Escha & Logy without a doubt.

None of the games are like Ar Tonelico or whatever level. They're all (at least the ones I've played) significantly tamer than Persona, but E&L is basically free of that stuff almost entirely. I think there's like one conversation in the game where one character is talking about height and another character thinks they're talking about boob size and that is it.

As someone who had never played an Atelier game before it, I'm Nthing the recommendation for E&L. The alchemy system didn't take me long to understand and is really in-depth and cool without being super restrictive (though it seems really easy to break it over your knee and make super bombs constantly, though I just now finished the third term so who knows how that holds up), and while there's lots of anime moments they don't get overwhelming. My only big gripe about the game is that certain animations are really crude, namely when NPCs are walking to/from a conversation.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Generally the super-bombs will carry you a long time but if you want to do the late-term optional bosses you really need to sit down and do some serious crafting of equipment and good items or you'll get wrecked. Fortunately crafting good items is both fun and relatively painless!

That's kind of the deal with most of the Atelier games I've played, although crafting god equipment in Ayesha is kind of excessively easy due to certain abilities stacking in a weird way.

I'll keep that in mind then. Is there any big point I should be keeping in mind where time and/or materials will become an issue? So far I've had to go actively searching for a type of material maybe once or twice to get everything finished up, although of course rarer ingredients with better stuff on them are another issue entirely. I don't want to get stuck in a situation where I have no time left to get what I need before my term is up. Which I suppose is what multiple save slots is for. :v:

The fact the game will remember if you've done something in the past for optional objectives is nice too. Being rewarded for being ahead of the curve is nice.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

evilalien posted:

Yeah once you have enough characters, you can kick him out. You will probably want him either in the front lines or reserves for boss fights though because alchemists are really useful in battle.

Having both alchemists out is basically trivializing most everything I've run into in the game so far through the fourth term. I love it but I need to swap Escha out so I can trigger more events, which I wasn't aware was somewhat dependent on having the party members in battle. Poor Linca has been sitting in the reserve since I got her, lonely and confused by anything not hitting with a sword.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oh man, I started up Rorona Plus after beating Escha & Logy, and I already miss E&L's alchemy system. It was much more intuitive and easy to use, not to mention a lot better explained. Amazing what a few iterations of a game can do.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, E&L's alchemy system was so fun even if it was easy to break. The older alchemy system gets better once you have a bit of practice with it but it just isn't as fun.

I'm really not liking how dependent on getting high quality ingredients I am without any way to really influence it like you could with alchemy skills. It's especially annoying because I'm trying to break a boulder in these stupid mines and I can't get the ingredients I need to make the proper quality bomb high enough. :argh:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

EDGE MAVERICK deserved a much better game.

EDGE MAVERICK deserves a franchise and ridiculous retro-80s theme song.

SO4 remains the only game I rented from GameFly only to immediately return without even putting it in my machine because someone linked that god drat nappy time cutscene. It saved me the shame of having it forever on my trophy list.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Sunning posted:

If it makes you feel better, the game lack voice-overs from the English localization, doesn't feature the orchestrated soundtrack, and forces you to play in the portrait perspective.

Wait, that shouldn't make anyone feel better about the mobile port.

No English voices? If I can't be soothed by Yangus and his dulcet tones then what is even the point.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Elminage is fun but confusing as poo poo. Is there any rhyme or reason to when stats will raise/lower on level up, or is it just a chance for either based on the age of the character? I've had my older caster characters gain strength and lose int while my younger physical attackers did the opposite. It's baffling.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

It's completely random, and I think there might be caps based on your level or maybe race (I read somewhere that Elminage Original was "racial base +10") but I strongly doubt the latter one is the case because it looks like they max out at somewhere in the 36-40 range and nobody has base stats that would let them reach those maximums.

Yeah, on further playing/reloading the gains and losses seem totally random. Going to be a lot of resting individually and reloading if I lose the wrong stats.

And man, Brawlers are kind of nuts if they manage to get their whole combo off. They hit pretty hard already, then occasionally some crazy kung fu poo poo happens and they carve off a huge chunk of HP or take out several enemies at once. It's pretty sweet.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

More Elminage questions: Are there any items or spells that let me teleport back to town? It's getting old trekking back through the dungeon every time I need to leave, which is kind of frequent.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

oblomov posted:

Support Sega PC, who knows what we get next! Yakuza 1 - 4 on PC would be amazing, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia...

Don't do this to yourself.

Don't do this to me.

That being said I will gladly sacrifice some dollars in the vain hope that some of these series will get more western support. Maybe one day we'll get another Yakuza localization! Ha, ha haaaa :smithicide:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

All this NV DLC chat is missing the most important part: get out of Dead Money as soon as possible so you can play the best DLC ever made, Old World Blues.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

So I bought Risen during the GoG sale and messed around with it a bit. Having fun so far, at least anytime I'm not fighting a human(oid). When that happens it turns into a frustrating mess of them blocking everything I try to do, or me completely whiffing my attack when I dodge through theirs and try to counterattack-- after which they block everything I try to do because I'm outside the small window of opportunity. Is there something I'm missing with that, or is that... just a thing that happens?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Man, Trails of Cold Steel is scratching just the right itch. I never knew I needed this lovechild of Persona and Legend of Heroes in my life, but I do. I so do.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Getsuya posted:

The biggest tragedy of Berseria is Laphicet’s outfit.

I found that immediately sticking the ten gallon hat and cool sunglasses on his head solves a lot of problems with his design.

But the same could be said of any modern day Tales character.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Its less that I think modern Tales designs are worse and more that I love the customizable locations for costume pieces.

Like if I want to go through five hours of Xillia with a plushie on Alvin's face and a mustache that I've fashioned out of the "messy hair" hair sprig then god dammit I'm going to.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

normal now has enemies with like half the stats they did at launch, it's pretty funny but also much less bullshit

That fight at the trade post still wiped the floor with me a few times until I could AoE then down with my grenadier PC. It just turns into a clusterfuck of flailing attack animations and the sheer number of bandits is bullshit.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

I know the Charmer pact has the most significant spot reversed (says 50% of your charm deducted from all stats, when it actually increases your stats by 50% of your charm, which coincidentally makes it one of the strongest pacts in the game), but is there any others I should be aware of?

I’ve been passing on so many pacts because they just looked like garbage, time to check stats and poo poo closer with literally everything!

Thanks NISA.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Libluini posted:

By the way, when do I get to put more than one character into a coven? Is Gnome Town close, or do I have to do some more dungeon crawling afterwards? It's kid of annoying me that I accidentally made a puppet extra and now every time I go into the dungeon I have to leave on of my muppets behind.

You get your starter multi-puppet pacts very shortly into Attack on Titan But With Gnomes.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

How is Labyrinth of Refrain?

Once a troll hit my tank so hard her head exploded so I had to make a door out of dirt to go home and nail a new one on the stump.

Game good.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

Have you played Dragon's Dogma?

Play Dragon’s Dogma and you can romance almost anyone, but there’s one pretty obvious choice.

Feste. It’s Feste.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah Berseria but I think dragon quest is kind of just bland. Especially 11

Dragon Quest as a whole is like sipping Spritewhen you’re sick. It’s inoffensive and makes you feel good without upsetting anything.

E: Super late to the party but I got Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling and oh my god I love it :3: It’s definitely a huge love letter to old Paper Marios and the writing is super charming.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I was interested in Genshin Impact but all this scuttlebutt of how intrusive and potentially compromising its anti-cheat is steered me away.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah I think I’ll just wait until I get my PS4 back from the plaguelands that is my bud I lent it to before lockdown or the Switch port comes out, whichever comes first. “The kernel-level anticheat now only gives carte blanche access some of the time instead of all the time, even after you uninstall the game” is incredible horseshit.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Colonel posted:

tbf the game does have a coding error that makes it possible for it to permanently screw you into a bad gacha pool for the entire game because they accidentally set the part of the pool that's supposed to give you higher rarity characters to be the pool above whatever pool you were given at the start which means it's possible to get a pool that does not exist and gives you nothing extra

some weird-rear end errors in that game's programming

Talk like this takes me back to Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate and cursed charm tables so thanks for that. :v:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Picturing the MC of SMTIV squaring off against Lucifer/Merkabah with his stalwart companion, a level 99 Pixie.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

A real-estate management game with a brawler minigame attached.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

This but also more jRPG Yakuza please. I want the best of both worlds.

I guess we kind of have that with Judgment but maybe stop tying the protagonists likeness to people whose publicity is handled by a crazy over-protective talent agency so I can get it on PC god dammit.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Honestly playing as Kasane just annoyed me since being on the other side of the "I'm acting antagonistic to you for a reason, its a good reason but i won't explain or say why" trope actually is MORE frustrating since you KNOW what's going on.

On the other hand going down Kasane’s route and having her go “god that was stupid why am I like this” after basically every instance of that was both comical and weirdly true to life.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Barudak posted:

Theres so much the covenant system could have been that when you slam into what it actually is Im left super disappointed, mages get really really pigeonholed by it as you've seen.

I also, like, don't want a direct sequel because the writing feels fetishistically grim so I'd like this concept fleshed out in another setting.

There’s definitely a writer somewhere at NIS that’s really bitter about the company being known for mostly cutesy if weirdly horny games, and occasionally it rears its head with something like Labyrinth of Refrain or Witch and the Hundred Knight. Just… relentlessly grim and needlessly hosed up in really uncomfortable ways.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah the bitterness thing was a joke. :v: They’re just… inclined to that sort of thing.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

That bar is fifty feet underground, that’s how low it is.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm sure this would make more sense in context bit wtf

Not... especially, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Are there a lot of JR Gs like Strange Journey? Just like in that weird sort of grid style?

I picked up Mary Skelter 2 for my Switch per recommendations and it instantly made me think of SJ but maybe it's just a whole subgenre or style unto itself and I just haven't played any other games like it.

SMT1 was like this too now I think on it, for the thirty minutes I tried that game.

The Ertrian Odyssey series for the DS/3DS immediately jump to mind, of course. Some of the best dungeon-crawling you’ll find imo. Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk was talked about upthread but has a lot if problems mechanically and a terminally bleak writing style and I can’t personally recommend it, even as someone who normally likes a bleak/dark humor sort of game. I don’t have a lot if experience with the series but Elminage is another Wizardry-like and I know at least one is available on Steam.

And if you want to get aggressively 80s/90s there’s always Might & Magic and Wizardry. :v: