Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I saw a topic down a posts down about a screenwriting thread and thought that I saw one topic for one on here a while ago. So I decided to check and see if there was one and to my surprise there wasn't. I know that there are fellow goons on here who have written either short films or full length scripts and can help out fellow goons who are either experienced or are just starting out with the craft. If you have any questions about screenwriting post them in here and I'm sure that someone will be able to help.

If you want to start writing a screenplay, Sporadic offers some very good advice.

Sporadic posted:

The best thing you could do is track down and read some produced screenplays. That should help you realize what's expected out of you.

Do some research, scrap this idea and start anew with another one. Everybody goes through these growing pains when they first start. The key is to learn from your mistakes, grow as a writer and try again. Always try again.

Other notes:
- Try to avoid giant blocks of text. It turns off the reader. That's also applies to dialog.
- Try not to direct the camera so much. There are ways to do that without being so heavy handed.
- If you do, you should use "we" instead of "the viewer".
- You can cut commercial from in front of factory.
- If the character is off screen, there needs to be a (O.S) after the character name.
- Who's Wily? He kind of appears out of nowhere.
- We need more introduction to your characters beyond what you gave us. I'm on page 6 and they are already starting to blur together in my head.
- You really need to focus on improving your formatting.

Also something I learned the hard way, read your dialog outloud and revise it before showing anybody. You should be able to immediately hear what works and what doesn't. Rewrite the clunky stuff and be sure to read it outloud again to see if it works.

screenwritersblues fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Dauher posted:

Count me in as hoping this thread takes off. I'm working on a few short scripts right now that I'd love to have a sounding board for, and I'm kind of hoping to turn NaNoWriMo into a second Script Frenzy month and work on a feature all of November.

I really hope that it takes off too. Scriptfrenzy was always a little tough for me, mainly because of the fact that it was always around finals. I hope this year to get in on it and do it.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Oh Mister B posted:

Desperately trying to breathe live into what could be a very helpful thread. What are some helpful screenwriting sites/blogs you all visit? Right now I've got two. Wordplayer.com has a huge library of themed posts on any and every screenwriting topic. Johnaugust.com, which is a bit more current and branches off topic wise. I know there's more out there.

I used to read John August once and a while, but he just kept repeating himself after a while and it got to the point where I just got annoyed with his cockiness. The one thing that pissed me off is that he said that the best major for a screenwriter to be in is journalism, mainly because of the fact it trains the writer to look at the world with a writer's eye.

But, what about the other writers where were English, Communication (which is where most of them come from) and other majors that have nothing to do with writing get their ideas from? Pretty much shows how closed minded August is.

I have a private board that I go to on a regular basis, that I get my scripts from. I can't share the link, for legal reasons, but it's the best site out there for scripts.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Oh Mister B posted:

P.S. post your scripts and let us read them so we can give you feedback. I am bored.

If anyone wants to read a draft of a screenplay that I completed earlier this year, send me a email: weirdnjfan1@gmail.com. I really don't want to just post it on a hosting site and post the link here, mainly because of all the lurkers who will read this. Also, in the subject line put SAgoon:user name wants to read your script so that I know who you are.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Oh Mister B posted:

As Juanito said, post a synopsis! I'll probably read it if it ain't mystery noir stuff. I'm just past the halfway point of a feature length script so I realllly don't feel like working on it right now. Bummer.

Sorry guys, saw this when I was getting ready to go to work earlier today.

Here's the log line:

When his grandfather dies, a self-doubting writer returns home expecting to find inspiration for his next book and finds inspiration by rekindling the flames of a past romance.

It's kinda of an indie drama in the vein of Garden State/Elizabethtown/and various others. If that's not good enough, I will pitch it right here on the spot.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's probably not a good idea to use either of those movies in a log line (or near a log line, or ever).

The bold part is the log line, not the stuff below it and yes, I know that.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Speaking as someone who has an interest in this stuff but knows nothing about it, what's the best way to start and what are some good introductory resources?

You can start by reading other scripts and finding out how each writer has a different style from each other.

The best site right now is https://www.mypdfscripts.com. The guy who runs it has a pretty good connection, considering that he has had legal action threatened against him and also has had his original site shut down. To find what you want, just wander around for a few minutes and you'll find something that you want to read.

Also,for books I suggest Syd Field's Screenplay, it's the best book out there for screenwriting tips and basic formatting.

The script frenzy website has some of the best information formatting a script for word, if you can't find a cracked version of final draft. http://www.scriptfrenzy.org/howtoformatascreenplay

screenwritersblues fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 26, 2010

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

NeuroticErotica posted:

Pitch me.

Eventually.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I got through the first 50 pages. I sent 2 pages of notes, but really you need to pick up the pace. Something needs to hook the reader, and I was never hooked. There was way too much exposition about the past. There's also something really weird where every conversation the main character has references something from 7-14 years ago. It's like he didn't exist in the time between or he was frozen in a block of ice.

Oh Mister B posted:

I'll be sending some notes some time this week, as well. My biggest issues are:

1. Jack is a super boring main character. Not much personality so far, though to be fair I'm only 35 pages in.
2. This script has an identity crisis. Well. Kind of. It's TOO similar to Garden State/Elizabethtown. Playing Bruce Springsteen, while fine with me, does nothing to set this apart from the former title.
3. The sibling dialogue is really forced in some situations. On the nose.

Thanks to the both of you for doing this. I tried once on Zoetrope to get some kind of feedback a few months ago, but failed horribly. Only one person read it and it pissed me off, I had major plans to rewrite it this summer, but with no feedback or notes, I couldn't do that.

At least there's some people out there who are willing to get me notes that will help me rewrite it and make it better. Thank you both.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Argyle posted:

TV writer checking in. Well... aspiring TV writer. I hate the word "aspiring" but what else can I call myself if I'm not getting paid to write?

I've been working in television for 3 years, and I'm still trying to break into writing. I was lucky enough to get a PA job on a sitcom soon after moving out here, and I've been trying to work up the traditional ladder. It's not working so well. After 3 sitcoms and 4 pilots, I'm still a PA. I haven't been able to make it to the writers' side of the office yet.

It's a little soul crushing, but everyone I ever talked to about writing has told me to give it 5 years before anything significant happens in your career. So, chin up. Besides, I'm working in the industry, I'm employed on a sitcom, and to paraphrase Woody Allen, 80% of the game is just being here.

It's especially rough for comedy writers (me), because they're just not making as many comedies as they used to. Many of the entry-level writing jobs (writers' assistant, script coordinator) are being taken by out-of-work writers. On the sitcom I worked on last summer, our writers' assistant was over 30 and the script coordinator was over 40. Disheartening.

The show I'm on now has a halfway decent chance of getting a second season. We haven't aired yet, but the network is really into us. I could become a writers' assistant if they promote the current one, but that's no guarantee. I'm not sure what else to do besides keep writing and keep meeting people.

Hey Argyle, got a question for you.

I'm kinda starting to work out the beginning of an idea for a TV show, still working it out in my mind, and was wondering if you have an opinion of series bible. I have a two series bibles, Freaks and Geeks and The Wire, and like them both, but I'm not too sure which is a better one, mainly because of the fact that they are both so different. What you take on them, if you have seen one that is.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Argyle posted:

I haven't seen either of those bibles, but yeah I imagine they're very different. I can't tell you which is a better model for you because it depends what kind of show you're writing. Is it a drama? Procedural? Dramedy? Serial drama? Single-camera comedy? Multicam comedy? All of those shows have very different bibles.

But honestly, writing a whole bible might be getting ahead of yourself. Keep notes for yourself, with character history and bios, and maybe a loose outline for the series, but the most important thing is for the pilot itself to be as good as possible. Have something ready if you get to the point where you're shopping around, but if you're "still working it out in your mind," just write the pilot itself. And rewrite. And rewrite.

Thanks for the input. I was thinking about doing character notes and loose ideas over the next couple of months, just so I can get to the point where I can just sit down and write the pilot. I was thinking of writing the bible just to keep my ideas organized and the character descriptions together.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Oh Mister B posted:

Screenwritersblues: I promise I am going to send you an email this week. Now that I have no motivation to keep trucking through the third act of a feature length and there's been a lull in work I actually have time to write something up!

No big deal. I kinda forgot about that I sent a script to you. Hey, if it's good feed back I might start rewriting at the end of December.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Hey Oh Mister B, did you ever send that feed back on my script? There's no rush, but I was just wondering if you sent it or not.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

modern villian posted:

I just recently finished a screenplay I've been working on for the past year, and would love to hear what a few goons have to say about it. I'll e-mail it to anyone who is interested.

Title: 'Modern Villain'
Three men journey through life and death.

It's about ghosts.

I'll give it a go. weirdnjfan1@gmail.com I'll give you some feedback also.

Also, just started writing a new treatment, mainly because of he fact that I had this idea and decided to run with it. Will be doing updates, mainly because of the fact that I write long detailed treatments that plan out everything in the scenes and also in the movie.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

nocal posted:

Resurrecting this dead thread to link https://www.johnaugust.com.

Hugely valuable -- and free -- advice from a working screenwriter.

I've said it once and I've said it before, John August is not the best place to go to for advice. He suggested in one of his articles that you have to be a Journalism major in order to be a screenwriter. Ummm.... what about the all the people who were at one time accounting, English, communication, or even business majors? I strongly suggest that you avoid John August and start reading scripts instead.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Quick question for everyone. It is just me or does everyone write long, planned out treatments? I've noticed lately that I've write long treatments that plane out everything that happens in the scene, including the songs that I want to use. Does anyone else do this or is it just me?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Longbaugh01 posted:

Any other good sources out there for scripts other than http://www.mypdfscripts.com?

In short, no there isn't and PDF isn't as good as it as it used to be. Up until last year, the so called script trading black market was good and everyone would get what they wanted eventually. However it seems now that it's starting to dry up.

For those of you who don't know, there's this thing out there called the Hollywood Blacklist. Every year, it would come out with the most talked about scripts by studio heads. I managed to get two years worth and it was good. Fast forward to this year's black list release and to what happened. It seems that it was just about to leak out on to the internet and a few people had gotten them already. Well it appears that Fox wasn't too happy with this and managed to launch a lawsuit against a few websites, including a high ranking screenwriter who had posted all the scripts that she had gained access to over the years. After this happen, site My PDF Screenplays and it's small private community, PDF Screenplays, which I was a member of at one time, got hit with legal threats. So it seems that they had to either shut down or take down certain scripts.

PDF Screenplays shut down, while MY PDFs remains opened. These where once great giants who I got the materials from to learn my craft and better myself as a writer. Without PDF Screenplays, I've been having a hard time finding new scripts and seeing what other writers are doing. Granted there's always Daily Script and Simply scripts (which I can't figure out why they are still opened and haven't been hit with a lawsuit yet), but they are terrible and never really get anything new.

God, if I knew where to find scripts, I'd be happy again.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Longbaugh01 posted:

Mypdfscripts is actually not bad, I found at least 10 produced screenplays I wanted to read right off the bat. Mostly I was asking because of the legal threats you mentioned, because of them Mypdfscripts had to remove every single Warner Brothers screenplay, and that's unfortunate since I really wanted to get my hands on both The Dark Knight and Inception.

Though, I can see where not being able to get your hands on this year's Black List entries would be a pain. Useful for a writer to see what is currently hot I assume.

There was a time when the guy who ran the site would post stuff that was both in the process of being released or unreleased. Now, he mostly posts interviews that are insightful and interesting, but are really of no help with me. Yes, Mypdfscripts isn't bad, but it was better a year ago. Also, go out and purchase the books for the scripts on amazon. They're well worth it.

Juanito posted:

Do you have some specific titles that are on the blacklist and you can't find? I'm curious if they are actually completely unavailable.

All of them. I have the lists from 2008 and 2009, but would kill to get the complete 2010 list. If I could find a way to get them, then I would be happy. I think I have a couple of titles, but I forget which ones I have.

screenwritersblues fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 18, 2011

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Sporadic posted:

I'm in the beginning stages of writing a screenplay.

Is it kosher to mention a specific song for a scene? The script I'm writing is a high school one with a certain type of music being an important part of the character (leading up to a battle of the bands for the finale). I know rights are a big issue but I have also seen Charlie Kaufman call for Bang On A Can performing Brian Eno's Music For Airports in the Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind screenplay and Aaron Sorkin call for Paul Young's Love Of The Common People in the beginning sequence of The Social Network screenplay.

Pretty much the standard rule is that you do not put music in your screenplay, mainly because of the fact that you might not be able to get the rights to the song that you want to use. However most writers, like Rob Siegal, who wrote The Wrestler, put music that they want to use in the film, in the draft that they are writing. I'm doing it with the current draft that I am writing and really don't care what other people think. Do it if you feel that it is needed, then do it.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Longbaugh01 posted:

I once put in an amazing use of "Gimme Shelter" for the first scene of a script I was writing having to do with Hurricane Katrina...

...then The Departed came out.

Never again. :smith:

The song is in almost any Scorsese film, so who cares... use it if you have to.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Longbaugh01 posted:

Oh I know.

Nah. It's passe at this point, and I abandoned that script years ago.

Are there really times any of you feel, outside of it being a plot point, that you HAVE to use a certain piece of music in a screenplay?

Background noise? I don't know I usually put music in to set the mood of the scene.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Sporadic posted:

I decided to scrap my last idea, for now, and start on another one. This time I am actually writing and it feels great.

One of my characters is looking for a job online. Would it be ok to mention Craigslist or Backpage by name? It will be popping up again later in the story with a different use.

For the most part, you can if it's a spec. I've read plenty of drafts that use name brand things, hell I remember an episode of Two and a Half Men that mentioned J-Date by name, so yes go head and use either one, because if it works then it should be used.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Sporadic posted:

I'm curious. What is your typical work schedule?

When I buckle down, I can pull out about two pages a day over the course of a few hours. It feels like I am crawling.

Also do you plot out the entire story before hand?

I have a basic plot outline for the beginning mapped out on a dry erase board.

Thank you for the help. I fixed that line and left the (CONT'D) alone.

Usually I try to writer a least two to three pages a day, if I'm lucky. I normally do a lot of long handed old fashion treatment writing and then put it into a word document afterwards, this way if anything happens I have a "hard copy." Then it dive straight into writing and work on it in final draft.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Anyone using Final Draft 8 know how to stop making the same character speak without Final Draft saying that it is continued after an action? It's starting to to get annoying now and doesn't look right.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I haven't posted in my own thread for a while now and it's great that it's becoming successful.

Anyway, I have a question. I am deep in a treatment for the script that I am working on, 30 handwritten pages, mainly because of the fact that I like having a hard copy of my treatments, and I realize that it's really terrible so far, but I like the way that it's going. When I'm finished with it, I am going to start rewriting it right away, but making major changes to, keeping the same story line, but using different a different idea. However, the more I think about, the more I just want to restart the entire thing from square one and start all over again instead of reworking it.

Is this a good idea or should I stick with it and then restart it. Also, if I change some major elements in the story, like how the course of the story runs, should I label it a first or second draft? I'm a little confused by this.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Sporadic posted:

I'd suggest getting it on paper first before you go back to change things. Keeping forward momentum is key to completing something. Ignoring the little voice in your head that wants to go backwards or move onto a new idea/project. If it is a good idea, it will still be there after you finish.

As I edit this script, I realize I made a big mistake regarding drafts. I have a first draft, cleaned up first draft and now I'm working on the second draft. I think major changes after a once over qualify it being labeled a different draft.

Although, I think, if you are working for somebody, it is only a new draft when you turn it in.

Golden Bee posted:

Finish it. Otherwise you'll get to the ending and not know what to do. Drafts inspire iteratively; you don't know what'll happen til you try to make it happen.

Your first attempt at anything is a first draft. That keeps it easy. I go up edition #s for huge changes, or third minor revisions. So I might go 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1. (This is because of my file naming method; every place has its own standard.)

Thanks guys. I'm going to keep at it and finish the first draft. After that, I will take Golden Bee's advice and probably do a 1.5 of the script with the new idea and then keep going.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

phuckpolitics posted:

I've been lurking this forum for a while now and I just want to thank all of you for the tips I've tips and tricks I've gotten from this thread.

I was just wondering how long does everyone write each day? Do you sent a time limit or a page limit?

Usually when I feel like. I try to write everyday, but sometimes I just don't have the creative urge. When I do write, I try do do 5-6 pages a day.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Started a new script recently and I'm happy with the way that it's working so far. I'm using the "Edward Burns" approach, where he writes a script with no outline and just writes it. He also goes back to the beginning of the script every day and fixes things as he goes along. So far this approach has worked very well for me and I think it could be the way that I write my scripts from now on.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
In case anyone was wondering or maybe not, my script that I am working on without any outline is coming along well. I have a few scenes that I'm still working on/need to fix because they aren't working out or are too long. But other than that, it's working very well.

Also, I stumbled on to this article debating about the two methods. It seems that a lot of screen writers do this method more often than we think.

http://www.bluecatscreenplay.com/articles/how-to-start-a-screenplay-treatment-or-free-fall/

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I decided that it was in my best interest that I went back and restarted my script from square one. The idea had changed a lot since I started to write it, but luckily I wasn't too deep into the story, thankfully, but it had to be done and I like this story a lot better than the one I was working on.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Sporadic posted:

I'm begging you, just try plotting out your story once. It makes the writing process so much easier.

Otcho posted:

You'll run into that problem a lot if you don't plan in advance. Just open a second word document, name it "GOOD IDEAS" and put everything not remotely interesting for your story's structure in there. That way you won't run into trouble halfway.

I have been planning it out in advanced for a while now, but something with the current draft isn't working. My original idea has changed so much from when I first though of it, that I have to restart it. Like I said, I wasn't too deep into it, just about 21 pages in the actual script and sixteen scenes planned out in long hand, so it's not too late to go back and restart it. I just can't see this current script working out the way it is now.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Treatment writing: What should I be doing for it? I'm so confused about it. Should it be detailed as all hell or should it just be short descriptions of what happens in each scene? What is the correct way to do it.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Depends what it's for, but let's say you get asked for a one-page treatment for a feature length screenplay. You should write it so that the reader gets an idea about your whole movie within that one page (and one page only, if that's what you were asked for).

Focus on what the story is really about and try to crystallize that onto paper. If you haven't developed it enough, it will show. Don't write "he says, she says" descriptions of single scenes – if you have room for that, the story is not there yet. A treatment is not a step outline. Skip detail in favor of the big picture.

In school we had to start our degree project screenplay by writing out a one-page treatment that was then expanded to 2, 4, and finally 8 pages. It's a great way to see what you've really got and spot the weak areas.

Thanks for this. I went out and found an example of it and it works much better than the way I was doing it. However, I have a feeling that it's going to be over 8 pages.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Question about introducing characters. If I have already introduced a character earlier in the script, do I have to reintroduce the character when I start to use her more or can I just have her start talking?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Just to clear up a wee bit of terminology:

SYNOPSIS - This creature is 1-3 pages long. It is more-or-less a pitch in text form.

OUTLINE - Average length is about 10 pages. This is a run-through, in paragraph form, of your plot.

TREATMENT - 30-60 pages. You may have heard the TV production term "bible". It's a big reference document that includes story outline, aesthetic references, character sketches, artwork, location stuff, etc.

In film, this is called the treatment. Back in the old studio days, treatments ran about 300 pages. You could say the old films were so great because they were all basically novel adaptations. These days, 30-60 is acceptable. I think I have a treatment for E.T. sitting on an external. I can email it to you, if you like.

When first introducing, put character's name in caps, and give a brief description. After that, just hav her start talking.

Thanks, I never really understood what everyone was talking about in the books that I read. It makes sense now.

For the character stuff, I've been doing this basically, but never understood what happened if I introduced the character, say on the first page, and did use him or her until the like the 8th or ninth page.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I'd like to thank this thread for all the help that they provided over the past few weeks. I'm finally getting back into writing and I find myself writing for at least four hours a day now. This should be one of the bigger threads on SA, but because of the fact that it's such a challenge to write a decent script, it isn't.

I would like to update the OP a little bit, maybe throw in a few good resources or sites that offer help and the like. If anyone has any or knows of any good sites, please post them and I will happily put them in the OP.

EDIT:

Also, I'm 43 pages deep and roughly have 55 scenes planned out. This thing got big really fast and I'm happy thus far with it.

screenwritersblues fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 23, 2012

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Sporadic posted:

Good for you, man! I'm glad to hear you've finally given plotting a chance and that it's working out for you :)

Lately, I've been taking my sweet time plotting out my third feature. The first one was too bloated, meandering, overwritten cold, the second one was too lean, on the nose, rushed hot and I'm hoping this one will be juuust right. I'm going way out of my wheelhouse on this one. Kind of fantasy/adventure. A movie kids can enjoy.

I was actually going to contact you about making a new thread with a new OP. Beyond a list of good recommended books/resources/sites/programs, which is a great idea, I thought it would be awesome if most of the people in the thread could write a summary of where they are at and what they have learned from screenwriting so far.

Some people are amateurs, some have indie credits, some are working on original features, some are working on original tv shows, some are working are spec tv shows, some are working on shorts, some are working on comedy skits. It's probably the most interesting aspect of screenwriting. The freedom. The lack of set-in-stone rules beyond a few formatting requirements. It's a tough thing to wrap your head around at first.

Plotting makes everything seem much realistic. If I need to put a scene in some where, I just adjust the plot in the word doc and then keep going. I have a system worked out too. Sunday and Monday are plotting days, while Tues-Sat are strictly writing days.

My dialog still needs a lot of work. I can't seem to get it to be short at times, but others it seems like its too short. Live and learn I guess.

Sprodic: shoot me an email at jarrett.brown@live.com. I think that we can some how start working on a new thread and have it ready in a couple of weeks. It would be great to see if we can convince some of the people who have worked in the industry to share what they have to say about it. I will create a new thread if people want me to and I will make it good.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I have a very small question:

When writing a teleplay in Final Draft, what option do you select when writing the "1ST ACT" or "END OF COLD OPEN"? I usually use "general" or "action" and just center the alignment for that one line so it looks like a professional script.

I don't even know if there's one correct answer, but I remember editing a screenplay once and because I used one of those, it kept undoing the centering of that line once I went back and started cutting and pasting chunks of the script.

If you're using Final Draft 8, in the drop box that is above the document, you can choose that stuff in there. It also says stuff like scene heading and dialogue in it.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

That's not my question. I'm asking which is the correct option/element, if there even is one, when writing the one line of text starting and ending each act in a teleplay, such as "END OF ACT I"

It will autoformat it for you if you use the drop box at the top. If not then I would just use the general, center it, capitalize the entire thing, and underline it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Sporadic posted:

Beyond the formatting issues, your page count is not right at all. You're currently too big to be a short and way too small for a feature.

I made it about thirteen pages before I gave up.

The best thing you could do is track down and read some produced screenplays. That should help you realize what's expected out of you.

Do some research, scrap this idea and start anew with another one. Everybody goes through these growing pains when they first start. The key is to learn from your mistakes, grow as a writer and try again. Always try again.

Other notes:
- Try to avoid giant blocks of text. It turns off the reader. That's also applies to dialog.
- Try not to direct the camera so much. There are ways to do that without being so heavy handed.
- If you do, you should use "we" instead of "the viewer".
- You can cut commercial from in front of factory.
- If the character is off screen, there needs to be a (O.S) after the character name.
- Who's Wily? He kind of appears out of nowhere.
- We need more introduction to your characters beyond what you gave us. I'm on page 6 and they are already starting to blur together in my head.
- You really need to focus on improving your formatting.

Also something I learned the hard way, read your dialog outloud and revise it before showing anybody. You should be able to immediately hear what works and what doesn't. Rewrite the clunky stuff and be sure to read it outloud again to see if it works.

Thanks Sporadic. I'm going to throw this in the OP as a start. If you think I should start a new thread, let me know.

• Locked thread