Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

LastInLine posted:

Tried this out on the fiancee's Nexus S. Is there any camera replacement that allows for zoom on a Nexus S? Even the stock camera on the stock ROM won't let you zoom and that's just ridiculous.

This one does: https://market.android.com/details?id=slide.cameraZoom

Results are pretty poor though (although that could just be how digital zoom is)

Edit: Uh just took a few pics and its even worse than I remember (to the point of being useless). Don't buy the app just for the zoom capability

dissss fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

Figured out my problem. USB driver was missing the PID for the European version. What a loving headache.

Is it sorted now?

I had exactly the same issue (with an Indian version i9023) but somehow it fixed itself while I was Googling what the problem could be. I didn't change anything but somehow the driver installed when I tried it a second time.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

yamdankee posted:

Tell me about it. Crap, no: My radio is 2.22.28.25 and SPL is 1.33.0013. I need to flash the SPL ENG-1.33.2005 and a new HBOOT? It's not S-OFF, either.

Edit: I found instructions and downloads here for that SPL. So what about Radio and getting S-OFF?

For what its worth I'm running this ROM fine: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=811620

Radio: 2.22.27.08
SPL: 1.33.0013d (doesn't have S-OFF)
Both of these should be near enough to the same to what you're running

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

yamdankee posted:

EDIT: I got S-OFF! I flashed the .2005 SPL again and immediately booted to hboot and it says S-OFF now. But I'm at work and don't have ADB. Is there any way to use fastboot and/or flash AmonRA recovery without ADB installed on the computer?

What radio do you have now?

I *think* you need to match the radio and SPL, you don't want to use the older SPL with the newer radio

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

Apps have gotten a lot bigger since then. The latest G+ update is 24 megs (!)

Out of interest how do you see how much space is allocated to apps? I never ran into any issues with my old HTC Magic even with a few biggies like G+, Docs to go etc. Perhaps it had a bigger app partition.

Penguissimo posted:

As a former OG Droid owner, this just blows my mind. It's not like flash storage was super-expensive in late 2009. What the hell harm would it have done for OEMs to throw a full gig of app storage on there? Did they just assume that the Froyo A2SD would solve the problem forever?

At least some of it was how the space was partitioned.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Santa is strapped posted:

I'm interested in this. What do you mean 'you ask it unlock itself to root it'? I recently got a Nexus S and have been looking around on how to get access to the superser in a terminal emulator.

You need to unlock the boot loader. The trouble is its a pain in the arse to get the PC software to talk to the phone (at least on the international i9023), and the unlock process wipes the device.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Treytor posted:

Just picked up the t-mobile version of the galaxy S2. Without an actual home button I am finding the instructions to get the phone into download mode / recovery mode aren't working. Am I missing something obvious?

Usually its hold down the power key and either the up or down volume button (one will probably o to the bootloader, the other recovery but I forget which is which).

Tread carefully though, there are far more differences than just button layout.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Weaponized Cum posted:

I installed CM7.1 and I was not asked to log into my google account/have no market access and am pretty much stuck with a useless phone!

I am restoring right now... thank god I did it, otherwise I think something pretty lovely would have happened.

Did you flash the Gapps zip?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Quantumfate posted:

My phone contacts are not synched, as it turns out. I also don't want like, all my three hundred email contacts in my phone :stare:

You can tell the dialer to only display certain Gmail contact groups.

At least you can on standard Android, don't know what SE did with their early skins.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

If thats the case is it really worth it?

I've never had any kind of issue on standard and the only CM things I miss are the notification shade power toggle and swipe-away notifications

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

IRQ posted:

Sounds like the oficial Nexus S release is having problems too anyway, and even then Google only started with the GSM version.

The international GSM version is 100% fine in the OS itself - my phone has never run better.

The OTA seems to have killed video output in the stock recovery though on the LCD model though which is a bit worrying.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Just convinced my father to click buy now on a second hand Nexus S (he was about to bid on a second hand LG 2X so its lucky I stopped him)

Its currently running CM9 which I have no experience of - any thoughts on whether its stable enough for parental use or should I flash back to the 4.0 OTA? Would rather sort it out before he starts messing with it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I don't think you can manually flash through the stock ICS recovery - on my Nexus S the option is there but it just fails when you select the zip.

I unlocked the phone and used Clockwork recovery to flash the 4.0.4 OTA - actually turned out really painless.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Healbot posted:

Sure wish my SGS got the kind of support the Nexus S did. Android support is loving horrible.

Support for the original SGS is pretty good though, much better than most other phones.

One of my friends is still using an SGS - not sure what rom he's using but its pretty much indistinguishable from my stock Nexus S and everything works fine.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Isn't the G2 roughly equivalent spec wise to the SGS/Nexus S?

It does have less internal storage but its still a good deal more than a Desire/N1

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

You only really need root for wifi tethering, titanium backup, and sort of for rom hacking.

And only for wifi tethering if you carrier is being a dick about it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

Or are you basically stuck having to wipe/restore everything and do it by hand every time you want to get the latest and greatest?

If you're just installing a new minor version of Cyanogenmod (or whatever) you should be able to flash without wiping anything.

Major versions are a different story generally though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Honestly with the problems my wife's having on Jelly Bean I think you made the right decision. Glad to hear it worked out for you! :)

I'm not having any of those problems :smug:

Seriously though this is (one of the) the annoying thing about Android, people get vastly different experiences on the same hardware eve with similar usage patterns.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

To some extent its a general Android issue.

Just page through the post your homescreen thread and look for out of sync clocks - you'll see it across a variety of different launchers and versions of Android.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Since when has Clockwork recovery had the Apple linen textured background?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Yes you can delete the .zip after its been flashed

Did you overclock at all? I've only been running CM10 since this morning so I don't know what it'll do to stability or battery life but it seems bumping the clock up to 1200MHz does make a noticeable difference to performance.

e. drat BLN is nice, forgot how great screen off notifications are. Also the screen off animation works correctly now (unlike stock 4.1.1)

dissss fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 14, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Question for those less confused than I am: I've just flashed CM10 M2 on my Nexus S. Is there any point in looking for an alternative kernel or should I stick with the one that came with the ROM?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

madkapitolist posted:

I think I'm having some strange issues with wifi on my SGS3. I would be 100 feet away from the router and the signal gets down to 1 bar and cuts in and out. My laptop in the same location has full signal and works like a champ. I've been using CM10 nightly releases but this has been happening to me since CM9. Anyone else have a similar experience? Is there a wifi driver you guys recommend?

Sounds normal to me. Phones in general have weak wifi reception to begin with, and in my experience Samsung phones are worse than average.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Kiranamos posted:

SGS2 Hercules T989 running CM9, the best I get is the occasional "H" instead of 3G. As far as I know Jellybean isn't officially out for my phone, so I can't get CM10 yet unless I want to use an unofficial build?

That isn't a 4G phone unless you count HSPA+ for which it should be showing the 'H' anyway.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Did you wipe before flashing?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Sounds obvious but did you try rebooting the phone?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Just for reference, the option should be in Google Now > Settings > Voice > Hotword Detection

I think that only works if you have the language under Voice set to English (US)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

nigga crab pollock posted:

Is there an actual solution to the terrible battery life of the n4? Because even with franco kernel and cm10 i still can't get my phone to last more than 24 hours on a single charge. It just drains all of my battery doing nothing, BBS just says MSM HSIC HOST and POWER MANAGER and RADIO INTERFACE which is just great because thats what franco is supposed to fix

How is your cell signal? I don't see anything similar to that on my N4 but I have decent signal for most of the day.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Anyone still using a Nexus S? If so what ROM are you using and how are you finding it?

I ask because after the best part of two years running an early nightly of CM9 (on the phone when purchased second hand) my dad has finally asked about updating because MMS was broken. He's currently running whatever version of CM the Windows installer updated him to, but I'd like to know if there are better options.

With how bad I remember 4.1 being on that phone I'm not even sure that would be the better way to go, even for my dad.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Can't you get work to give you a new phone? Sounds like its old enough to be due an upgrade anyway

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

There was no CM8

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Just rooted my G Pad 8.3 pretty much solely to get the 'correct' navigation key layout (why LG doesn't allow this as one of their options I don't know).

It was actually surprisingly easy and the G2 Xposed module has some other fairly nice tweaks so I'm now much happier.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Kaizoku posted:

I'm using a Evo 4g rooted running MazWoz. I've got it set to install all apps to SD

That seems like a really bad idea - what are you hoping to achieve by doing that?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

jonathan posted:

If its against the rules to discuss this I'll remove the post, however I'm not in America and those laws likely don't apply here.

No, but I bet an equivalent will.

You could potentially get yourself into a lot of trouble trying to get a cheap-ish phone working.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

If you don't want to see notifications then why not just switch them off for that app?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Just mute the phone when you want to take dodgy pictures - that stops the sounds just fine.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I'll save your post into a text file in case I get frustrated with how slow the phone is after a month and decide to have another crack at rooting it so I can strip out all the goddamn Google bloatware. Thanks.

Won't help - the problem is the hardware is just too slow and I'm pretty sure it suffered from the same nand degradation as the first N7

Also even if you flash it back to 4.0.4 it's barely better these days (I still occasionally use mine as a backup and have tried both).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Mooktastical posted:

Motorola and Sony aren't stock, but are close enough.

Motorola sure, but I current Sony is a real disappointment coming from a stock device. Maybe 5 will be better.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Tunga posted:

Also, for reference, this isn't actually "weird". Root detection comes in various forms and often relies on techniques other than just "can I get a root shell". The game is probably detecting that you have a SU flavour installed (checked by package name) or that your ROM is signed with debug keys.

Some banking industry goon was saying their root detection only worked half the time anyway so that definitely wouldn't surprise me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Guillermus posted:

I think from Xiaomi is the Mi Note and Mi Note Pro (dat specs) and Huawei has the Mate 7 (a 6" phablet) and Honor 6 and Honor 6 plus (5" and 5.5"). Right now and looking how well the P6 and P7 are running (from coworker experiences), I'd buy an Honor 6 plus.

Comparison between the Honor 6 and plus: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6461&idPhone2=6777

Build quality on those is appalling - the back looks like glass but is actually really lovely plastic.