Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I just upgraded my HTC Desire (UK T-Mobile) to version 2.3.3 on the HTC dev website, is it still possible to root the phone in its current state?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I dunno if anyone can help here but I thought id ask anyway. I got given one of those cheap android on a stick MK802 things, they come pre-rooted (root checker and typing su in terminal emulator confirms this) however the /system partition is still read only.

Is there a way to change it to read/write?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

G-Prime posted:

mount -o remount,rw /system

For a permanent rw, assuming it works the same way as most standard Linux distros, edit /etc/fstab, find the line for /system, and change ro to rw.

Edit: Be aware that I haven't tested this. These are just standard Linux ways of handling things. YMMV on Android.

tried that but i just get the message 'mount: read-only file system'

LastInLine posted:

Also a root browser such as ES File Manager has an option in settings to mount /system as rw as needed so you don't need to run around with /system always writeable.

I tried es file manager gives a failed to mount error and total commander does the same thing as the mount command.

There isnt an adb command that would do this?

Edit: adb remount has the same error, this thing is a pos :v:

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 18, 2012

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

deong posted:

Try this, from : http://android-tricks.blogspot.com/2009/01/mount-filesystem-read-write.html

$ adb shell
$ su
$ mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

(Replace /dev/block/mtdblock3 & /system with appropriate device path and mount point, as obtained from cat /proc/mounts)

Ok well I did cat /proc/mounts but I cant tell which one is meant to be system? sysfs?

code:
cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
/dev/block/nandd /system ext4 ro,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=ordered
 0 0
/dev/block/nande /data ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,journal
_checksum,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/nandh /cache ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,journa
l_checksum,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/nandi /mnt/private vfat rw,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime
=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro 0 0

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

deong posted:

Someone else may be able to tell you for sure, but I think its :
/dev/block/nandd

based on this :
/dev/block/nandd /system ext4 ro,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=ordered 0 0

So I think your line will be something like :
mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/nandd /system

But I don't KNOW what I'm doing, I just have ideas.. so proceed with caution ;).

Yeah I noticed that bit after I made the post :cripes: still didnt work tho. However flashing the recovery image seemed to sort the problem out as now root works as it should!

Apparently theres a version of CM10 that works for this thing as apparently its just a generic allwinner chipset thats found in several different cheapie tablets. I wonder if its worth it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, so somebody gave me an old samsung galaxy i9000 which I found out is able to take cm9.

Followed the guide here upto the point where I flashed the the kernel with heimdall so I could get into recovery. Only thing is it never goes into recovery it would just constantly flash up the initial boot screen and then boot up normaly. Then it would get stuck in a bootloop.

After googling around I found this which I attempted to follow. Which involved flashing another std rom onto the phone, I did this and its some korean rom I think? But now none of the hardware buttons work apart from the power one and i cant get back into download mode because the buttons dont work.

So have I completely hosed this phone up?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

nimper posted:

You have not, and you can spend a few bucks to buy a USB jig that will force download mode. This will come in handy if you want to try other roms too.

Any of these will do (and you can find them in other locales if need be)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_i_0?rh=k%3Adownload+mode+jig%2Ci%3Aelectronics&keywords=download+mode+jig&ie=UTF8&qid=1352479832

Ah thats a big help, i'll order one of those now. :thumbsup:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Ok so after managing to un-korea my i9000 with the download jig I managed to get a european 2.3.6 standard rom back onto the thing from here.

Then I flashed speedmod kernel via odin, but it doesnt appear to have given me root or recovery?

It appears to have worked as the kernel version now comes up saying speedmod, am I missing something? The instructions for this phone seem to be very vauge, I never had any problems doing this stuff on the htc devices.

edit: never mind sorted it, just playing around with cm9 now!

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 16, 2012

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Anyone using the CM10.1 nightlies on a nexus s or i9000? Just wondering if I should see if its any better than CM10 stable.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Mister Snips posted:

I'm able to restore stuff so i guess it works but i'll update clockwork anyways.

I have this exact same problem on my nexus 7, I upgraded to the latest version of cwm but I still can't see the backup. All I get is an empty clockwork mod folder in es file manager but cwm can see the backup.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Anyone using the milestone cm10.1 milestone build that came out? I've got cm10 stable on my i9000 atm and its pretty rad, but I do like the fancy keyboard thing on my nexus 7.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is there anything I need to do if I want to flash back to CM10 from 10.1 apart from the usual?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Remember that the filesystems are different between the two.

I'm going to do a complete wipe anyway, so there shouldnt be a problem?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
In CM10.1 is there any way to get rid of the stupid audio nagging thing when you turn the volume up more than halfway with a headphones? I ended up going back to CM10 stable because it happens every time you plug them in and I use the volume control on the headphones anyway.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

All of those, as I mentioned above, have broken GPS and wouldn't work for her running apps. Besides if you're going to get a SGS settle for nothing less than a Nexus S.

Yeah im impressed how well my ancient SGS copes with CM10.1 but its abseloutely useless when it comes to GPS. I usualy end up using my nexus 7 instead.

Thinking about it in cm10 wasnt there a way of connecting a bluetooth gps unit in the settings? I cant seem to find that in 10.1

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

UncleGuito posted:

Does anyone know how yo remove Apollo from CM 10.1? Thing always crashes on me so it's time to get rid of it.

Just disable it in the apps list if you arent going to use it, I had problems on CM10 with it constantly crashing but I prefer poweramp anyway.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

That's strange, I use Apollo exclusively as my music player and I've never had it crash. Getting it to recognize new music, however, took me a day of fiddling with it on and off.

It would work for a while but sometimes all the album art would go funny and then it would constantly come up with fc's until you cleared the cache. That was on cm10, im on 10.1 now but I disabled apollo anyway because I use poweramp.

I did quite like apollo tho, but poweramp lets me play by folder which is easier with my lovely untagged collection of music.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I've been using the nightlies for cm10.1 for a while, is it worth flashing RC4 instead?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is there a good guide on putting a nexus 4 back to stock? I managed to root and install a custom recovery using the method in this thread via fastboot, is it just a matter of flashing the stock image in fastboot then relocking the bootloader again?

Theres a guide on xda but it says something about unzipping the factory image and flashing bits seperately?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Tunga posted:

Extract the contents of the main zip and copy the two img and one zip file to your fastboot folder (or add the paths to the commands below or whatever).

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-mako-makoz10o.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash radio radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1700.48.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot -w update image-occam-jdq39.zip

In order, that flashes the bootloader, flashes the radio, and flashes the main ROM with a factory reset (-w flag), with reboots between each step.

Do I realy need to reflash the radio? But thanks, i'll give that a go when I get a chance.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
How are the CM10.2 nightlies coming along? Stable enough to use every day, or still pretty buggy?
My N4 is still on CM10.1 stable mainly due to the standard rom having that stupid volume level warning which makes you have to click ok if you want to put the volume all the way up when using headphones. Then after an hours use the drat thing goes back to 50% volume making you reconfirm it. Which is incredibly annoying if you plug your phone into say your cars aux in or external speakers.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Brilliant so CM10.2 doesnt have the one feature I want which is to disable the bloody volume nag. Or has it been hidden away somwhere else?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Konjuro posted:

Assuming you're talking about the same nag I am:
Settings > Sound > Volumes > Untick "Safe Headset Volume"

I didnt see it on yesterdays nightly on the N4?

I guess ill try flashing it again as I just reverted to my old nandroid.

Edit: im a retard and didnt realise that they moved the option to volumes like Konjuro pointed out

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 4, 2013

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is there a reason that my 2012 nexus 7 keeps trying to install the latest system update after every reboot even though it already should be installed?

This is on stock 4.3 with TWRP, I mean it looked like twrp installed the update?

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Sep 9, 2013

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

What build is reported in Settings > About Phone under Build Number? JSS15Q?

JWR66Y

Ok wierdly I rebooted to the bootloader, selected recovery and somehow its killed twrp as I just have the android with a red triangle. So I reflashed with the newest version of twrp, downloaded the ota and installed it. That seems to have worked.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to get the photosphere camera/gallery back on CM10.2 nightlies? I seem to have lost the ability do do both.

This is on a N4.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Anyone tried CM10.2 stable yet? If so is it possible to have the photosphere camera on the nexus 4 with it?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I have a friend who has a rooted nexus 10, he ran the kitkat ota and it installed via twrp but its now stuck in a bootloop. After a bit of googling apparently you arent meant to use custom recovery? Which is wierd because i've never had a problem doing that on my old nexus 7, it just usualy rolls back to the standard recovery.

Is the only option to flash stock? I've already tried clearing cache and davlik.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

fastboot flash the stock image. You could try removing the -w flag from the batch file to retain user data.

I tried doing the stock flash without the -w flag, still didnt boot. Ended up flashing the factory image, which is still 4.4 and adb sideloading 4.4.2

Still I thought that installing an ota with root and custom recovery wasnt a problem with nexuses, although I just realised i'd removed supersu on my nexus7 because the sky go app doesnt work on rooted devices. So that might be why my otas have worked.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Ok so my friend managed to pretty much semi brick his note ii by trying to put a custom rom on it. Also apparently when he did have a custom rom he flashed one for the 3g note and not the 4g version and now doesnt have any signal. :ughh:

From there he managed to semi brick it, it does still go into download mode and I can see it in odin. Main question is there anywhere apart from here that has the factory image. Currently i'm downloading the 4.3 one and its taking about 7 hours of some lovely file hosting website.

Also will flashing the factory image in odin also include the radio? I dont know much about samsungs because i'm only used to nexuses simple process of doing things. Phone is an N7105

Also this is why when people ask me what phone they should get I instantly say get an iphone.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is there ever going to be a version of gravitybox for L? I'm glad I have to root my device and use extra software to get rid of the 'potential hearing damage' message every time I plug in my headphones. Also the fact that it sets the volume back to half way every loving time :thumbsup:

Or does this not happen on L? Anyone in the uk can confirm this?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh really now? Tell me more. I was always under the impression that there's going to be a chance, however minor, that you could brick your phone, even while following instructions to the letter.

Well maybe if you try hard enough, you might be able to brick it. Maybe throw it in the toilet whilst unlocking the bootloader?

But seriously its like

fastboot oem unlock
fastboot flash recovery <recovery image name>

Then flash root file from recovery.

If it fucks up just download the factory image and run the batch file in the same place as the fastboot files. The hardest part is loving around getting the fastboot drivers to work.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Didnt somebody say that it was easier to install fastboot on a mac because you dont need to gently caress around with the drivers? I feel like on mac that has been replaced by installing 200 different versions of java to get android studio to work. Or am I doing it wrong, probably.

edit: never mind found this http://forum.xda-developers.com/general/general/tool-nexus-tools-2-8-featured-xda-t3258661 which just installs fastboot and adb

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 22, 2016

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Tunga posted:

At the bottom of the download page there is an installer that only includes the SDK, that is the one you want, pick the correct OS obviously.

:doh: didnt see that at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Thanks I hate it.