Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Neurophonic posted:

MIUI is making leaps and bounds weekly it seems, big UI changes more or less every release and definitely moving to a more iPhone alike model with the latest changes to the settings pages for apps but to me it's the most coherent custom UI for Android that I've seen.

Definitely. I've been using it the past couple days and I don't have any complaints. The new settings UI is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Is anyone else's notification power widget completely hosed as of RC1? It was working fine before, but now I've got bluetooth, sound/silent, and GPS no matter what. I can toggle them, turn off the widget completely, turn it back on, and they're still there. The CM Settings app also force closes whenever I try to uncheck an option in there too.

Other than that, it's really good. Huge battery improvement over MIUI. I always forget how sweet CM's kernel is on the N1.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

People are paranoid that the warranties on their phones are voided if they mess with the software.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Casao posted:

Trying MIUI again, really digging it a lot more this time.

It's gotten way way better. Specifically in the past two or three updates it's gotten very polished. New updates every Friday, and a pretty solid team working on English translations at http://forums.miui-dev.com/

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

CM6 RC2 is out for the N1, Evo, and Slide if anyone's not giving MIUI a whirl.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

For people using MIUI: Anyone have MYTheme1.2? I'd love to get it, but I don't know Chinese and it won't just let me download it :qq:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Holy crap! Thanks! Good info too :)

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I had to stop using MIUI the other day. There were too many little things.

Like how the launcher force closed for me all the time because I had the audacity to put Angry Birds and Angry Birds Seasons in the same folder. But what finally did it for me was the phone app itself. I would see my trackball light up but nothing would happen few seconds, or the last time, my trackball lit up--and then my phone soft rebooted. Through the whole thing my trackball was saying "Answer me! Answer me!"

It never actually ended the call either. The person on the other side was totally unaware.

CM6.1 definitely doesn't look as pretty, but it's way more functional, and hopefully a bit more stable, at least.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

N1. I don't know.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

What phone do you have? A lot of recoveries have an option to turn off signature verification, which let me install it on my N1.

I still use swype though...

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Casao posted:

I'm fine with them packaging as many Google apps as possible into /system - I can uninstall them if I hate them, and it's a lot easier than moving from /data to /system, even if they're on the Market.

And yeah, been eyeing that GB rom, but the performance results showed below Froyo so I don't think it's actually accelerated in any way yet.

I've been using it since .06 I believe. Works pretty well except for network location, but I don't think that works on any GB rom so far. At least for the N1. While it's not mind-blowingly fast, I actually notice a lot of stuff is smoother than Froyo. Scrolling through menus/feeds specifically.

The only reason I'm actually using it is so I can think to myself that I've got the latest and greatest poo poo around though. It's not that spectacular.

All the extra bullshit is easily removed too.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

There's a poo poo ton of new nightlies out for CM tonight. I've gotta assume that they're CM7/Gingerbread, and I know that they said the camera issues were fixed. But does anyone know if the network location issues have been worked out?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

There isn't an update.zip floating around anywhere that's just android market is there? Like many others, I installed the CM7 nightly thinking it would have the market, so I could get titanium backup and say gently caress you to to the google apps update.zips.

I'm probably going to have to make my own aren't I?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Skeezy posted:

http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-gb-20110115-signed.zip

They changed the GApps to just have the minimum for the Market. Everything else is on the market now anyways so it's much smaller.

I was unaware of this. That's awesome, thanks!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Solly posted:

Does miui come with a2sd? I't looks amazing but if theres no a2sd I cant use it.

It does, not that it's too hard to add on if a rom doesn't.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Solly posted:

Ok good stuff, but thinking about it this probably wont make a blind bit of difference since I recreated the partition before I changed to oxygen anyway. I'm still going to try it, but I don't hold out much hope.

If this fails can I get back to stock by just doing a recovery from the backup I made before I flashed any roms, or is it more complicated than that?

Here's a thought. Did you try reflashing your recovery image? I've heard that if clockwork get's messed up, all sorts of crazy poo poo can happen.

I know with Rom Manager, you can download an older version of clockwork or something, and then redownload the newest version after.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

My wife gave me a Nexus 7 for Christmas :woop: and I'm finally ready to start screwing around with it. I actually did on day two, didn't see much to gain by putting CM on it, and put it back to stock... But I've got the itch again.

What the heck rom is everyone using? The OP is way out of date, and I'm not really sure where to begin with it. I see all sorts of stuff like "Hybrid Tablet Mode" for the N7's low DPI, and Linaro builds which seem to be some sort of black magic to make things go faster...

My main question: What is there to gain on 4.2.1 by going to a custom rom? Is there some sweet rom that combines all the bullshit into one package?

I know it's a broad question, but I've been slumming it on a N1 since it was released for ATT, so I haven't really followed any of this stuff for other devices for a long time.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Is there a way to increase the text size of the status bar/notifications dropdown for someone who upped the DPI in their build.prop? Settings -> Display -> Text Size is great, but it doesn't seem to affect the status bar.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I just got myself a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III (SCH-I535 or d2vzw) and I'm having a bitch of a time getting Odin and download mode to work for me. Every time I try to flash an "insecure boot image" or a custom recovery image my phone's download mode says "SECURE CHECK FAILED: <type of image I was trying to flash>". I've been trying to use this toolkit to help in my struggle, but I just can't get anything to work.

My google skills are failing me because the only stuff I can find where people are having this issue have super helpful replies like "make sure ur phone's in download mode" and "you have to unzip the image before you flash it."

I've had two other Nexus devices in the past which had fastboot, and were obviously really easy to unlock using this guy:
code:
fastboot oem unlock
Is there something like that I'm missing for my phone?

Thanks!

e: if it matters, my phone OTA updated itself to 4.1.2, but I was having this issue on 4.1.1 too.

e2: I didn't realize how far the CM wiki has come since I got my Nexus One! Looks really helpful!

e3: after fighting with drivers for loving hours, I was able to flash some CWM goodness. All is right in my universe.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 11, 2013

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Is there a way to get my SGS3 (running cm10.1) to mount as USB Mass Storage instead of a media device? The popups asking if I'm sure I want to put this super dangerous MP3 on my phone are super annoying, and I'm pretty sure that it copies files more slowly connected this way as well.

From what I've read, this was done away with because it's far too dangerous to let people use their phones as mass storage drives. According to people like Verizon/TMo/Sprint/AT&T.

Whether or not it was actually removed due to pressure from big telephone companies, I don't know, but I can't believe that the Android devs that be would willingly replace such a nice WORKING feature for something as troublesome as this MTP nonsense. It flat out never works for me ever.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

DemonMage posted:

Best thing to do is just use AirDroid.

This is awesome, thanks for the tip! My phone came preloaded with some Kies Air thing that was essentially the same, but required you to use some nasty Java applet. It looks like this does things the right way.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

big mean giraffe posted:

MTP works flawlessly on Vista and up, even on my neighbor's barely functioning ancient laptop. It allows you to use all the storage space as one unified storage on internal storage devices like the Galaxy Nexus and means you don't have to lose access to apps that are 'on the sd card' when you try to move files between your phone and computer.

You're one of the few. I'm on Windows 7, and somehow Windows always attempts to install MTP drivers and fails. I've never gotten it to work once for my N7 or my GS3.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

That's really interesting. I always assumed that CM and Samsung phones would start to be more of a thing since Steve Kondik is/was working for Samsung.

Dev Dude posted:

There are two variants which will be a pain to maintain, [and] the bugs we have on the S3 will probably be there on S4, too (camera)...
Aren't there like 12 versions of the S3? And I haven't had any issue with the camera on my S3 so far.

Oh well, if there are no stable-ish CM roms for the phone, what is the point of getting it? :v:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Are there any super awesome kernels I should use with my VZW GS3, or should I stick with what comes with CM these days? I'm mostly looking for better battery life without sacrificing stability.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Bobert51 posted:

Anyone happen to know if the home button falsely registering a long press on CM10.1 d2vzw has been resolved yet? I've been trying to keep up with release notes but haven't seen anything go by that looks like it would do the trick, but I may have missed it. I'd just flash and find out but every time I update I have to muck around with my build.prop to get Wallet working again and I'd rather wait to be sure it's actually worth updating. Thanks.

E: looks like someone submitted a commit for a fix, but I guess I'm not smart enough to read GitHub because I can't tell if it's been merged yet or not.

I've only had mine running CM for a few weeks, but I've never experienced that. I'm thinking it must have been fixed.

Speaking of the d2vzw, are there any roms out there that let me turn on software action buttons and disable the hardware ones?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Thanks for the link, that's really helpful. I've always wondered what's going into these nightlies but I can't/I'm too stupid to be able to keep up with their gerrit.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

WebDO posted:

I fortunately didn't brick my VZW GNex, but I'll be damned if pie controls can be enabled under any circumstances.

Ignore me, I read SG3 instead of GNex.

As a side-note, I'm using CleanROM 6 on my d2vzw, and from using it for a couple days, the battery life is great! I can barely deal with TouchWiz though... I'll probably be dealing with it till Android 5/4.3/whatever hits the scene though.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 11, 2013

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

mikeycp posted:

I'm looking to root my Verizon Galaxy S 3. Is there a preferred way to do this? And what should I look out for to make sure I don't gently caress my phone up?

I used this guide to install CM on my VZW GS3: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_d2vzw

It's the only guide I could find that was at all useful for me. I know it doesn't strictly go through just rooting, but if you only follow the first section, "Flash alternate bootloader and custom recovery," you should be able to get yourself a superuser apk running fairly easily.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I saw that last night on G+, but why did they leave out the d2vzw?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

What core app's aren't in the play store these days? The only thing I can think of is the basic email app, the browser (but we get chrome), and the camera app.

Why bother going to stock Android? :shepface:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I'm one of the losers who updated his d2vzw to CM 10.1.0.1 without checking to make sure the "stable" update wouldn't render his phone useless... Has anyone successfully fixed the no mobile data, no phone calls issue without having to flash all the way back to stock? Will flashing 10.1.0.2 be a waste of my time?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Mogomra posted:

Will flashing 10.1.0.2 be a waste of my time?
It certainly was a waste of time! Surprisingly, flashing back to stock wasn't necessary. I flashed plain old 10.1, no .0.1 or .0.2, and mobile data works. What a mess.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Alarbus posted:

CM's G+ post explains the problems, and 10.1.0.3 should have it all sorted out: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+CyanogenMod/posts/3WRFRuWgPWd

This may also address USC issues? I'm not sure.

Yep, I'm on .0.3 now too. I just noticed my phone will only output the right channel of any audio through the headphone jack now. :( I know it's not my headphones, I hope it's a software issue, and my phone isn't mysteriously falling apart like my Nexus 7...

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's a known issue, 10.1.0.3 is borked, just install a nightly. But not last night's nightly, as that's the one that crashes on boot or something.

Maybe wait until tomorrow.

Thanks for the info. Cyanogen mod is good at tricking me with that "stable" label...

E: I'm not actually complaining. At least my phone works this time. I just think it's hilarious. I guess unit tests must not work well for Android/Mobile OS development.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 5, 2013

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, I feel bad for the people (or one guy?) who maintains d2vzw. Someone posted some stuff on G+ about it, and he genuinely seemed sorry for the inconvenience. I didn't know all the background though. I knew the RCs had been going for a while, but I don't follow CM development close enough to know what's normal.

As for the QA/unit test stuff; Yeah, it would suck to do any kind of bug testing for any Android. Especially with the rate of new poo poo being added by them, and Google. I feel like every time they get CM to a good mix of stable and extra features, the have to drop everything and start from scratch for the next version of Android.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Apparently it's a device.

https://twitter.com/koush/status/359826639489728512

E: still probably a fake out :(

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I remember seeing a Google+ post by Koushik Dutta talking about how new CWM recoveries were coming out around the same time as the CM 10.2 nightly releases were starting up. He said generally you shouldn't update your recovery unless you're having issues with what you already have. v:shobon:v

Of course I can't actually find that post, so believe whatever you want.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

big mean giraffe posted:

Or schedule a nightly Titanium Backup of user apps, then it's not too painful to wipe and start over.

I used to do that, but I don't even bother anymore. Google's backup does a pretty decent job with absolutely zero effort. I'm pretty sure it even backs up some of the app data too so you don't lose progress on your games or have to log into the awful app again. I could be wrong about that last part though.

The only time I've had any issue with it is that I'll sometimes get an app that I only want on my phone restored to my tablet or vice versa.

If you need a rock solid backup because you definitely can't afford to lose any data, TB is still the way to go though.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Does anyone have experience with Voice+ with these new CM builds? It seems to work well for the default messaging app, but if I want to use Hangouts for texts, it only sends from my phone's number, and not my Google Voice number.

Is there documentation for the changes in CM 10.2 other than the git commit messages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Is there a mostly AOSP rom for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3? More AOSP than Cyanogenmod.