Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Im running stable cm6 on my g1 and for some reason I cannot boot into recovery mode (gets stuck at t mobile g1 screen and I end up having to take out the battery). Any ideas? I am trying to install a nightly build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Anyone happen to have this one? Pretty excited to give 6.1 a try. gapps-mdpi-tiny-20101020-signed.zip

edit: nvm found it here if anyone else needs it

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=691366

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 28, 2010

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Suggestions for the best pdf reader for my g1? Preferably with search function. Does adobe reader work even with all the fuss about flash?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Screwed up my G1 trying to install CM7 so I tried to get it back to normal by doing this

1.) go back to rc29 by flashing DREAIMG
2.) install the adb sdk to use the exploit to activate through wifi since I am using an att simcard

this is where I am stuck. I cannot flash the Amon RA recovery image because when I use the terminal app it says permission denied and I cannot find the superuser app in marketplace.

I also tried telnet but it just says cannot connect to local host port 23.

Any suggestions?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Alright so I got my G1 back to CM 6.1 stable. It turns out I just needed to get to 1.6 then use androot, then use clockwork recovery instead of amon ra.

Does anyone have experience bringing their CM 6.1 G1 to CM7? Last time I tired to follow the XDA post it was a huge mess....

edit: nvm got it to work by just flashing the COS-DS rom through recovery, painless.

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 11, 2011

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I have the COS-DS rom installed on my G1 (this one) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=11293013

Its a little slow in general getting around it also crashes sometimes when I try to get to the phone dialer, Anyone else have these difficulties? Any other gingerbread rom reccomendations? Anyone try Yoshi?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

Mine GO BOOM posted:

It is a bit slow, but I have not had any crashes. When you first flashed, did you not log in, wait 5-10 minutes, restart then start to modify/log in?

I didn't do that but I just flashed yoshi with the new hboot and the radio and everything is working out pretty well. I wasn't using the new hboot/radio with other rom.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Yea I realized that one a little late, however I am using dark tremor's app2sd script and I have a 8gb card so storage is not an issue. Has any G1 users experienced any GPS problems with the yoshi rom? I have gps/location services enabled but it cannot find my location with GPS. (google maps (app and browser) and skymap)

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I am having trouble making a goldcard to root my att inspire. I get stuck at the last part where I am actually flashing the goldcard.img the website emails me. It gives me a "cannot access MMC" error. I tired 2 different cards and double checked that my reversed CID, etc, are correct.

Any advice or any better ways to root?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Does anyone know of an app that lets you mark your current gps location then bring it up later on google maps for you to navigate back to? For example marking where you parked in a huge parking lot.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

quadratic posted:

Just star your location in Maps.

Wow very simple good idea... Thanks

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Is there an app out there that shows how much energy is going into your phone through the charger? I followed an instructables and made a solar powered usb charger and I am curious to see how much energy is actually going into my phone. I realize its not much and may not be a practical solution but it was more for fun.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

nimper posted:

Battery Monitor Widget will do this. It even keeps track of power over time.

Wow lots of information from this widget. What exactly should I be looking at to know how much energy is going into my phone when it is charging?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I bought a 32gb micro sd card and I would like to make an exact copy of my current micro sd card and move it over to my new 32gb one. What is the easiest way to do this? I am on ubuntu but can use windows on virtualbox if there is an easier solution there. I would like to maintain file systems/ any other dependencies since I have a lot of titanium backup/ app2sd stuff on there. Thanks

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Flawless, thank you.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

As long as the size (as reported by fdisk) of the new card is the same or larger than your old one, then this will work:
code:
dd if=/dev/sdb of=/tmp/sd.img bs=256k
# Switch cards.
dd if=/tmp/sd.img of=/dev/sdb bs=256k
Replace "/dev/sdb" with the block device that corresponds with your card reader or card slot.

Edit: Make sure the card is not mounted at the time you run those commands, particularly if Ubuntu auto-mounts it for you or something.

The data copied over successfully but it appears the phone still recognizes it as an 8gb card instead of a 32gb card. Any way to fix this?

Also does anything know if the HTC Inspire 4g is capable of HDMI out to a tv? Ive looked around and it appears the phone is not MHL compliant but is there a work around?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Are there any ICS roms for the HTC Desire HD?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
CM9 is ALMOST out for the HTC inspire 4g :D. Builds are already complete for many other devices.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Whats the most dependable ICS rom for the htc inspire 4g right now? I wonder if there will be cyanogen support for it? They have released it for a ton of other devices already.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I am using the latest CM7 with my HTC inspire 4g and I am getting very low wifi speeds to my home wireless N router, it shows that I am connected at 54mbps. I am broadcasting the signal as mixed b/g/n, my other devices do not have this issue. Any advice?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Is there any other preferred ICS rom for the HTC inspire 4g? MUIU was ok but did not work as well as I expected. I am still running CM7, any idea why CM9 is not being made for this phone?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Is it possible to change the UDID on a rooted android device? I've seen this done with xcode/ ios SDK before but I've never seen it on an android.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Im having some issues rooting my Tmobile Galaxy Tab. I followed the intructions here but after flashing zImage and rebooting, the screen is stuck at the tmobile screen. Any tips?

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_%28GSM%29:_Full_Update_Guide

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Are there any useable releases of 4.1 for the galaxy s3?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I am having issues with using heimdall 64bit ubuntu build with my galaxy s3. Has anyone has success with rooting the s3 this way?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

ssjonizuka posted:

what are you seeing?

May be similar to osx in which you have to trash some of the kies drivers.

Very weird error. Im pretty sure its not kies as I am on linux. Some quick googling revealed that it might be something with the Galaxy S3's PIT camera?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Im using the newest one 1.3.2.

edit: Just tried 1.3.1 and got the same error.
edit 2: Im trying to do this from odin now and flashing the CWM.tar was fine but I cannot boot into recovery. I tried holding home/power/vol+ and it does not work. I was able to get into download mode fine by holding home/power/vol- though.

edit: nvm had to release power button but hold home+ vol up after restart.

Whats a good rom for the ATT version of this phone?

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 3, 2012

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I think I may have killed my Tmobile galaxy tab SGH-T849. I can see it via ./adb devices in terminal but I cannot boot into recovery or download mode. What can I do from here?

^^^^^^ I am using the diet rom with launcherpro with my ATT SG3 and its been smooth sailing so far.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I am trying to get google now to work on my galaxy s3 which is using the ics diet rom. However the voice search is not working. Any idea why?

Diet rom:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1732195

google now:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1749045

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 6, 2012

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I am having the play store error processing purchase on free apps issue, I am using store version 3.7.13/

I tried this solution but it still did does not work, what else can I do?

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1708655

Edit: nvm, re-installed gapps.zip through CWM and it is fine now.

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 9, 2012

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
My SG3 runs really hot and has pretty short battery life. I am running the Diet ICS rom on XDA and using the cpu sleep apk that is supposed to sleep one of the cpu's when the screen is off. Anyone else experiencing battery life issues? Maybe its the rom?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

rotaryfun posted:

Oh that's terrible.

Saddest part is the "developer" has no idea what happened and basically asking for help. And he asks for credit for anyone using it in their ROM hah!

Im running lookout the antivirus/ security app, is that known to cause issues?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

Slopehead posted:

MADKAPITALIST: first of all of all realistically if you're on a rooted phone it doesn't matter what security precautions you're using. They can be bypassed by anyone with tech know how who steals your phone. That being said, I swear by LBE to manage permissions.

Second, in general if you're not an idiot and don't use 'alternative' app markets or pirate your apps then more than likely you'll never run into issues. At just a cursory glance at Lookout Mobile Security's website they're not offering services that can't be done already with a good recovery and any number of remote tracking and lockout apps on the market. Which, if you were paying attention wouldn't do dick with a rooted phone save forcing a remote wipe. Which wouldn't matter because you saved your backups to the SD card.

Third, what on earth does Lookout Security have to do with that moron on XDA?

Now to address your earlier issue with overheating:

According to documentation on the SetCPU website there is a kernel governor called "hotplug" does what this apk claims to do. I would suggest that you pick up a copy of that and see if you can enable it. As someone with a single cpu device I find it absolutely hysterically baffling that someone would want to intentionally limit their device in this fashion but hey, whatever floats your boat dude.

\/\/ This is going to be somewhat muddled since I'm not exactly savvy on the technical aspects of how this works but I'll try anyway.

So SetCPU has historically handled profiles in a very X and Y fashion without any scaling when swapping between profiles. So when you have a screen off profile at 200-500mhz then your screen on profile is at 1.2ghz there is always a lag. Because this was such a persistent issue the Virtuous Team wrote VirtuousOC Daemon. From what I understand this provides for a temporary boost in clock speed to ease the transition between profiles.

Now I swapped over to OC/UV Beater 2 a while back due to this problem, but last night switched back to SetCPU since I saw that the developer had done a complete overhaul of profile scheduling and switching. Anecdotally over the past day he seems to have fixed things but only time will tell.

Thanks. Ill check this out.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I am trying to install CM9 on my galaxy s3 ATT. I flashed the AOSP kernal from here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1756776

deleted data+cache from clockwork and tried to flash

cm-9-20120713-NIGHTLY-d2att.zip from get.cm

However I am getting a status 7 installation aborted error, it is saying I have the wrong build?

edit: how can I tell what is sucking my battery when battery monitor says the top consumer is "android os"

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 13, 2012

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

TheRevolution1 posted:

You don't need to flash that kernel, factory reset->wipe cache->wipe dalvik->flash cm9->flash gapps. Make sure your cm9 download isn't corrupted.

I would just run AOKP anyways. It seems to have less bugs right now. Install procedure is the same.

I have also tried (on SAMMY) kernel http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1756776 does this matter? the error is

assert failed : getprop("ro.product.device")=="d2att || getprop(""ro.build.product") == "d2att" E: Error in /sdcard/download/cm-9-20120713-NIGHTLY-d2att.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Im pretty sure it is not corrupted as I have downloaded it twice and used different sd cards and also tried it straight from the phone.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

TheRevolution1 posted:

Go back to stock rooted and this time don't flash any kernels before you flash CM9/AOKP.

Thanks buddy, worked flawlessly. Must have been that weird kernel...

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I got the menotek MHL adapter and the converter tip for my samsung galaxy s3 the regular cable does not work with most current gen phones. However I plugged this into my samsung tv which detected the device but displayed a blank screen. I plugged it into my LG tv and it detected nothing. Anyone have success with the non samsung MHL adapter with the galaxy s3?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-EPL-FU10BEBSTA-HDTV-Adapter-Converter/dp/B0089VO86Y
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F9W6DU/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2T1_SC_dp_1

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

ProjektorBoy posted:

I felt really stupid the first time that I used an MHL Adapter with my buddy's Galaxy Nexus. Then after stared at the drat thing long enough and found my solution. Make sure you have a MicroUSB cable on hand to use as a power supply for the adapter.

;) yes that was my first mistake as well. I have the adapter plugged into the wall but still just a blank screen even though it does detect a device!

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Yeah, Skyrocket = SGS2, he mentioned that like 4 posts up :cheeky:

Hope Samsung/T-Mobile get around to porting Jelly Bean over to the SGS3 soon. I can swap over to CM10 I suppose, but I'm fairly happy with stock I'd just love to have a fully working Google Now/Voice Search. Couldn't resist rooting though, did it the way that doesn't trip the root counter anyways so easy to go back to completely stock if need be. Just missed AdFree Android and Samba Filesharing way too much. That and not being able to restore all my saved game data with Titanium Backup without root =-(

Im using cm10 on my ATT s3 and it is definitely stable enough as a daily. Very few bugs and they are being fixed daily. Do an nandroid and hop on the train!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I think that is something you can do through your custom launcher app. I perfer launcherpro but I have not looked into it much.