Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Are you sure you are not now under a contract for a year+ by virtue of accepting their 3 month promotional offer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'd say no matter what they are going to have to start to do something. Everyone's aunt and uncle knows how to block google dns/buy unlimited vpn/use a browser extension to flip to any country they want. Its impossible to have a discussion about netflix on a Canadian site without the discussion being choked with it. The point was made elsewhere that hollywood is the one creating the market for the media VPN industry, and pushing customers towards handing over a snowballing amount of money each month to an unrelated 3rd party, to protect increasingly senseless geographic distribution deals.

I read a while ago that Netflix only wants to negotiate global deals from here on out, this is probably some scaremongering and drum banging for either side of that negotiation table. Geo-IP cannot last forever now that there are a large number of people trained and happy to pay extra to defeat it.

Its just another round of Hollywood repeating the same segment of history that was spent claiming that the VCR will be the death of them. They are so dead set against taking anything but the specific money they want to get at the exact time and from the exact place.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I hear Chile is the hottest netflix right now. Maybe netflix content follows a seasonal migratory pattern.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

infernal machines posted:

Content providers still don't understand the internet, news at 11.

I look forward to a future of content network exclusivity in news reporting. Crave will have the train and boat disasters, Shomi will have passenger air crashes and aborted takeoffs. Telus' fake netflix will have air cargo and cable car mishaps while Videotron has exclusive rights to broadcast all stories involving car on slow moving farm equipment traffic mishaps.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Oxyclean posted:

I thought products and services were supposed to improve with technology and time, not get worse.
I kind of wish I worked in a cable co's "scare and threaten customers from canceling their cable tv service but keeping their highspeed internet" department. Some real bright minds must be working there.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Fiber has been coming to the house since 1996. Its clearly in no rush to get here.

I had a well to do friend in the 90's tell me that his family was not getting a computer until 'fiber optics' were a thing.

I still wonder if he ever got one and how he has managed since.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Cable TV service is hosed but residential internet service is in a position to gently caress whoever it wants. If it were not for national ownership rules I have no doubt that Goldman Sachs would right now own 2 out of the Rogers Bell Telus 3 and be cranking hard on the price increase wheel every quarter. Sort of like they do with municipal water companies in the US. The regulator is captured so who cares, its limitless revenue with no possible competitor on the horizon. In fact i'm surprised they don't have a shell corp going on to own and hold them until they can get the law changed.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, but their whole business model has seemed quasi-sketchy since they started. It's been a while since I've been in one, but the last time I visited one of their stores about 10 years ago, the whole place had a "No officer, all these products just fell off the back of a truck." vibe.
Canada Computers had more problems than that. in the early 2000's they had a big rep for two things, one was offering different pricing if you spoke Cantonese and the second was re-bagging returned products for sale as new, especially if the customer return was due to defective goods. Which in fairness was also the old Tigerdirect.ca playbook too.

My only two experiences with them have been bad, but they've never got a dollar out of me so I wish them well as they expand out to everywhere.

In the end, I wish Canada's citizenry could just be declared one big wholesale operation and we could all just buy direct from Ingram Micro rather than having to gently caress around with increasingly disappointing middlemen portal site for drop-shipped Ingram packages. It still breaks my heart that Amazon.ca punted their PC parts business and that I didn't get in on their insane closeout firesale last year.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Isn't NCIX itself an umbrella of 6-7 different physical store brands and websites? Maybe they keep a 'fighter' brand like the phone companies and equally misheard their true intent.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Col.Kiwi posted:

Yo does anyone have any actual proof of any retailer doing this? It seems completely pointless, the retailer has essentially nothing to gain. If an item is defective and within the distributors defective exchange timeframe, the retailer sends it back to the distributor. If it is outside that timeframe the retailer refuses the return and the customer RMAs to the manufacturer, or the retailer does that on the customers behalf. It's not like the retailer has to just eat the cost of defective items, every computer & electronics store in north america would be out of business if the industry worked like that as margins are WAY too low for that to work.

The only thing the retailer has to gain by trying to resell a defective item they've returned is they save the time and effort of sending it back to their distributor, and a really tiny amount of shipping cost. And I mean truly tiny, cause they don't ship one item by itself they ship them in batches AND retailers all have volume discounts from the shipping companies they use. So overall it just does not make sense. This is all based on my experience working in a canadian computer and electronics retailer. A small one, not any of the retail chains that have been mentioned in this discussion.
Its absolutely not "the only thing a retailer has to gain" There are incentives everywhere along the transaction pathway to not want to be moving stock back up to your distributor rather than trying to move it out the door again in a customer transaction. I have no direct experience like you do, but I'm willing to bet that one of the first items up for negotiation when determining a pricing contract with the distributor is a pre-agreed upon allowable percentage of returns to keep their prices fixed at the negotiated rate. Which CC, and others, competing on price, would stamp down to the lowest levels possible as that no/low-returns discount would be a significant component of their thin margins.

This was also taking place in the middle of the era of bulk pallet-scale harddrive theft going on at Pearson airport, where one cargo handler guy sold most of the city's harddrives to stores Many parts likely did not come from traditional channels in the early 2000's.

Also, people have a lot of funky hardware and oddball ram, garbage internal cables, no actual troubleshooting knowledge, the PC parts interchangabilty we take for granted is actually a remarkable house of cards. A single PCI card with a poor driver can take down a system if its simply in the wrong slot. So re-shelving goods is a reasonable admission that not every defective part is actually defective, and CC, among others, lots of others had that reputation for being willing to gamble on it. Its not unreasonable. 50% of the stuff I ever ordered from TigerDirect between 2003-2007 came with obviously opened packaging, I viewed it as a consequence of paying the lowest price.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Nitr0 posted:

Bow down peasants.
They really do have a high opinion of themselves.

Uh, thanks for doing me the favour of putting your TV ads in a place where I can sit quietly and watch them all.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Its sad that a genuine sign of progress is announcing gigabit download speeds without a monthly bandwidth cap.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Nationalized Rogers stores would be like the LCBO pre-beautification. Plain rack shelving, exposed light bulbs and carton roller track everywhere. Cash only. You go in each month and pay upfront for your monthly service and any long distance calls you plan to make that month. A 56 digit code comes down the roller track in a re-used Piat D'or case. There is a guy whose sole job it is to take the code out of the box and read it back to you, all at once in a bored monotone from behind glass and through a speaker, as you are not allowed to handle your own code while in-store.

They close at 4:30pm. Open weekdays only.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The Gunslinger posted:

You guys are way too polite, I just close my door on anyone who isn't a neighbor. There's literally nothing to be gained from wasting my time listening to some scripted robot or vulture energy reseller.

Look at Miss Manners here who opens his door to anyone wearing a lanyard or holding a clipboard.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Mister Macys posted:

This, but my phone too.

I cannot wait to get my 437 area code number. I'll never have to answer it ever since I won't give it to anyone and there will be no history collection agency delinquency that plagues every recycled 647 number I've ever been assigned.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I bet AOL Canada DSL Broadband still issues US IP addresses for all users, the whole thing is routed through Virginia. Unlimited service too. Ideal for anyone that is a hardcore US Netflix/Hulu/AmazonPrimeVideo/ComedyCentral viewer.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Make that plan the new CRTC skinny basic.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

sbaldrick posted:

Shomi is shutting down in case you are one of the 5 people that use it.
Inevitable given the size of the "12 months free Netflix!" stickers that adorn the windows of every Rogers store out there.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The Iron Rose posted:

Not sure how NYC internet works,
Its Time Warner cable doing business as "Spectrum" now and they will screw with you good and hard because they lack a mobile division to wring most of their profit out of.

Or you can try DSL and get laughed out of everywhere you try to get service from.

You'll feel right at home really.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Good thread title suggestions, the old one was getting a little stale.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Gigabit? Today I've begun the process up upgrading from 28/1 to 60/10 for $60 with Distributel and am pretty excited to be able to use online backup services at an achingly slow rate rather than an agonizingly slow rate.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I support this government initiative to make camgirling the newest natural resource and someday see full employment for the populations of Dryden, Manitouwadge and Geraldton.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Zigmidge posted:

Whoa let's not go crazy here

Canadian Internet Access: Finally, better than what you get on a cruise ship

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I saw a note that work has begun on wring Bell Fibe up along the exterior of my apartment building.

I went to check:

Is this a joke? Is it not installed yet? Or is that the real Fiber To The Dreary 60's Highrise (FTTD6H) service offering?

edit: Ah wait, "to the neighborhood" so it must not be installed yet. Hopefully.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 4, 2017

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Ah thank you. My apartment's unit number is not in the bell system, so I used a neighbor's thinking they had the gone through the technician final install.

I''m the sort of weirdo that has no use for tv, pvr or home phone service. So sadly I doubt there is any chance of haggling them down to ~$50/mo for just the gigabit without bundling in those heaps of extra services.

But on the other hand, the standalone gigabit fibe that is right now listed as $149 is never coming down in price until the day when Bell is sold to a Chinese agribusiness holding fund to combat Rogers getting sold to a murky US infrastructure hedgefund and a proper price war breaks out in the lead up to a shooting war.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Fibe just smashed the exterior window to my highrise apartment and are now screaming at each other from 20 stories up. I guess halting work in 42kph winds wasn't part of the rollout plan.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Toronto, Yonge and Davisville. They really zip up and down getting the cables in. My whole building looks to have been completed in a day and a half. I'm surprised Bell would even attempt an interior install when they can blast a drill through the walls as recklessly and as quickly as I got to witness today..

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Chris Knight posted:

If you are eligible for Bell's gigabit service in Toronto, get ye to the Home Show.
Better TV+PVR/Gigabit/Phone lite, free modem+install, for $99.90 for a 2 year term. Beats having to dick around with Rententions :)

Thank you, even better news from the Home Show:

quote:

I was informed that if we wanted the Good TV package instead of the Better TV package, we could *probably* get it for $73 + tax, which in my opinion is a very good price, but I wanted some of the channels in the Better package.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

You know what I like most about Chatr? Carrier messages spelled like "Ur payment was successful, ur new balance is..." What I like more is that because Rogers are fuckups they can't stay consistent and will also use 'your' and 'ur' in the same text message.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

There isn't a real economy of wording and spacing to suggest they need the savings.

What self respecting youth o today would use such a garbage carrier with its 100 text teir and low teir data?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

But its the tier of service best suited to let a family of 5 enjoy all their photos and music and movies. plus online games all with no slowdowns!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

cowofwar posted:

I am on Novus now too but just went with their bundle promotion because phone + tv + internet all for like $70 or whatever it was is a pretty good deal.

Please Chairman Scott, punish this goon for their hubris in thinking that they can enjoy good things at reasonable prices.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Half a year after getting a Fibe jack bolted to my wall, Bell has sent me their initial offer tailored for my building:

$99/mo for 1 year for download speeds of up to 300Mbps with unlimited traffic, no mention of upload speed
free install with a 2 year contract
$155/mo during year 2
tri-band wifi router
TV service with a whole home PVR
Home Phone

No specifics on what the TV service is because for my convenience there are no details in print or online and I have the convenience of taking my flyer and personal promo code to a The Source store to find out more.

Since I spent the last six months uploading all my media to the cloud at 10mpbs I'll probably pass on the higher speeds, but this appears to be the new install offer for anyone else who got wired up recently.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

It sounds like rogers contractors working together to gently caress over rogers corporate by creating make-work easy calls for each other without consequences.

You are just caught in the middle of a company that loathes itself.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Yeah, goons, be the sort of spineless rear end-kiss that cozies up to people you know to be loving you over.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I got that once from a Rogers guy without the expense of a rootbeer.

I think if you just don't scream at them or ask for it, they do that for you.

He made some weird comment about the signal coming in really strong. I figured out a few year later that I had cable TV.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The only country on earth that would run willingly into the arms of Carlos Slim and and/or At&T

:canada:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Volguus posted:

Jesus, holy poo poo. This sounds ... too good. Really, unlimited calls in Canada for $30/month? And I can just buy it from here? There's gotta be a catch...

It only works along the few coastal miles of Newfoundland close to St Pierre and Miquelon, but really its worth moving just for the cell service.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Does anyone know how I'd find the IP address of my cable modem so I can log into it and be disppointed that its a useless piece of poo poo that is firmware-incompatible with any other TPIA I'd consider moving to now that its paid off?

Its a Huawei MT130U if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

That's it, thank you.

Looks like I'm going with start.ca's $60 60/10 come December simply out of a desire not to pay any more modem rental fees until bottom-teir docsis 3.0 is declared illegal.