Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Cryptic Edge posted:

Still wondering how you people can accept anything less than unlimited when it comes to data. Saturday my new house gets it's FiOS install, giving me 25/25 mbit with no data cap. No static unfortunately without paying another $60+/mo but thats what automatic updaters for DNS records are for. Granted I won't be hosting peoples poo poo on that line, but its good enough for personal services (including email with a mail relay service)

What choice do they have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rawrbomb posted:

Lone Rogue,

Any chance of higher cable speeds soon?

I wish Shaw would come to KW. :(

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

StealthArcher posted:

Welcome to Canada, would you like some Duopolic Rape? Just kidding, you don't get to choose.

This is hardly unique to Canada; most places in the US have a similar setup.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Brace posted:

Adding on to what I posted earlier, it only feels like my internet is even slower on my PC(which is plugged directly into the router) than my laptop which is a floor up from the router. Is that even possible???

Yes, especially since it sounds increasingly like a problem with your computer and less with your connection. You may wish to post in HoTS.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Drakkus posted:

Yep. Take the ethernet cable that is running from the modem to the router, remove it from the modem, and replace it with the cable that is running from your computer. (That had been, prior, running to the router).

Literally every single device between the cable outlet and your computer is a possible factor. Removing them one at a time until the problem stops is usually the quickest and easiest way to find the problem.

Sorry - I thought you'd already done this, Brace, and got a better result (unsure where my brain invented it) - that's why I said it seemed like a computer issue.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Canada, you are awfully strange.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Vergeh posted:

Well, right now I can't access 50% of the world's domain names (like the subdomain for somethingawful that hosts all the buttons, for instance), and putting my own DNS on the router doesn't seem to help that...but I think this is as much an issue with my router as with teksavvy.

Yeah, I'm not having this problem, though I'm not using TS's DNS servers, either.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

michawle geist posted:

Michael Geist statement.
•work with CANARIE, Canada's research and education high speed network, to link local communities and provide alternatives to the dominant providers (I am a Canarie board member)

UNF UNF UNF

Yes, please, but I really don't see that happening (coommme on, just let Waterloo sign up; I'm happy with that).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

We've had essentially nothing but good things to say about Teksavvy here in Waterloo. I get the rated+ speeds for probably 29/30 days in the month. Super pleased.

I would like to complain about this snow removal I hear about, though. I think it's a fable.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I'm actually pretty surprised that KW doesn't have better connections available, considering how Canada keeps trying to brand this place as the Silicon Valley of the North.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Roadwarrior posted:

Does she have it locked down or is she operating a wireless hotspot for the community?

Also, what OS is she running? Did a bunch of updates download quickly now that she has something approximating broadband Internet access?

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 28, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dudebro posted:

What do I have to do to be able to watch UK-based internet streaming videos, either from youtube or a site like BBC or Channel 4?

http://www.unblock-us.com

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Speaking of Rogers.

I just moved into a condo building with its own postal code that is apparently missing from the Rogers database. Despite the fact that Rogers cabling and a Rogers inspection sticker is in MY FRONT CLOSET, dated from November, the company is insisting that they don't offer service at this location and never have.

Putting the code into their website generates an error, and I can't tell if they're broken or if that's just what they show people who can't get their service. Naturally Teksavvy is a bit useless at figuring this out, so while I'd love to just move our service over, the whole thing is problematic.

I'm getting pretty damned annoyed.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 21, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

After all this time, we finally got Rogers / Teksavvy to admit this building exists, and now we have Internet access. I'm convinced that we must be the only people on the premises that actually have a Rogers/TS connection; everyone else must use Bell or something.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

Why is it so difficult to find more options for business internet that just cable/dsl resellers?

If anybody knows any ISPs in the Toronto/North York area that do business connectivity with symmetric speeds in the 20 to 50mbit range, please do tell me. They don't seem to be as easy to find as I would have thought.

I think your options are limited to paying through the nose for some insane business fiber connection, or paying less but still a premium for doing MLPPP from someone, and even then it wouldn't be symmetrical.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I also use unblock-us. It's great, since I can access Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime Instant Videos. Additionally, it gives you access to things like the BBC' iPlayer and Channel4's 4od.com service.

I haven't tried it yet, but I found it interesting that you can now use the service to switch between various Netflix-accessible countries to see their catalogs.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I can't give you a rundown of exactly what is missing from the Canadian Netflix, but in my experience whenever I get an off-the-cuff urge to watch a show I find it missing from Canadian Netflix. This has been the case more often than not. The latest one was Doctor Who, but it certainly doesn't begin or end there. Discovery just pulled Mythbusters from the Canadian Netflix too. It used to be there but they removed it.

If all you want to do is watch the latest movies then honestly Canadian Netflix is probably okay. If you want to dig a little deeper, you might be disappointed.
I will say that Canadian Netflix has the Stargates. I'm pretty sure it's because Amazon paid for exclusive U.S. streaming rights.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Parachute Underwear posted:

I think Stargate is considered to be Canadian content, which you won't find lacking on Netflix Canada. It's usually when you want to watch either American or foreign content that you run into issues.
Probably. But in this case it's all down to licensing.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Oh My Science posted:

The trick is to goto the unblock us website using the ps3 web browser and check service. If you do that after setting the DNS & restarting it will work, at least in my experience. The annoying part is that you must check service every time you try to load netflix.

It's easiest to set the DNS on the router itself, but then you can't access canadian content on the fly.
Actually, they introduced a feature where you can go to their website and switch up what country your Netflix requests go to.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Oh My Science posted:

Could you try this out and report back? I have a few shows that I watch which are canadian only, and I would like to know if the new interface interferes with that at all.
Yes. You get access to the content for the country you are physically in at the time, regardless of origin, unless you are hiding you geo information.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

My experience with Netflix is almost as convoluted. I have an account registered while using unblock-us that was flagged as American, paid for with a Canadian CC. When my CC expired I couldn't update my info for the new card because it wouldn't take a postal code. I had to cancel the account, wait for the cancellation to happen, re-open the account with my new CC and now Netflix support tells me it's flagged as a Canadian account. After all of this I found there was a way to get it to work without having to jump through as many hoops too. I still have access to the American style interface and content while using unblock-us. I'm not a big fan of the new interface's look and feel, but the instant queue is great.

Does anyone have experience with using something like a mini pci-e modem in a laptop with a sim card out of one of those usb modems that Bell/Telus/Rogers offer for mobile internet connectivity? I called Bell to ask if I could use the sim card out of one in one of these internal modems and the tech I talked to didn't seem to understand what I was asking.

If your cell radio is unlocked, then you shouldn't have any trouble doing it. I'd activate it on the USB stick then transfer it over, though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

I'd rather not get the stick if I can avoid it though because it's $200. You get a better rate on the data if you buy the hardware up front, I really just want the data package and the sim card.

Then you wouldn't be taking the sim card out of a stick at all, so this question doesn't make any sense.

So go to Bell and ask for a sim, and get it activated.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

That reminds me, I need to call Rogers and find out why my Extreme account is still capped at 95 gigs, and not 120.

Everything about this sentence is painful.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Don't some very select downtown TO locations have fiber?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

A c E posted:

I read about it, but I'd be interested in know what kind of money they are trying to extort.
So glad these "lawsuits" have come to Canada...

On the plus, TekSavvy seems to be trying to do the right thing and prevent them but it doesn't look overly promising.

It's only the right thing in that companies should need to receive court-mandated turnover for the addresses. If the people infringed, well, they did.

At least in Canada it seems like judges have a whole lot of leeway in determining actual damages - they can charge as little as $100, and it's capped at $5k.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Wax On posted:

I tried to see if my IP is on their magical list but the list is not showing up when I follow the link in the Teksavvy e-mail. Does anyone have access or does this mean I have nothing to worry about?

This article made me feel a bit better but I'm not as knowledgeable as I'd like to be on the subject: Vice - Are Canadians About to be Prosecuted for File Sharing?

Welp, for the moment, did bittorrent the hurt locker or one of those other crappy movies? If not, then you're fine.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

My biggest mistake was upgrading to Telus @Cityplace's 100/5/$100 connection because when I move out of this Dredd-esque block it's going to SUCK going back to 28/5 or whatever they're allowed to re-sell from Rogers' upper limit of 150/10.

28/1. Functionally, it's usually worse upload speeds than that.

Haha I just ran a few speedtests though and I'm getting 41Mbps in K-W on Teksavvy. That's after speedboost wears off, kinda weird.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kachunkachunk posted:

Cogeco territory, as in cable?
Edit: Probably a stupid, obvious question, but I am just a bit surprised.

Yeah. Their prices, as regulated by the buffoons at the CRTC, are comically high.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

MeestarK posted:

Anyone have much experience with Velcom in Brampton?

http://www.velcom.ca

25/10 DSL w/ dry loop and 400GB for $46 seems pretty tempting...

Dat website

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

They mean as a direct result of this downtime. So far as i know, they're still planning increases further down the line. This is probably just part of that process.

I dunno where you are, but if you're on TSI/Rogers, speeds will not be going up until they completely switch over to the aggregated POIs.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

I don't think this is true. From an early DSLReports post on the subject:

Some will be this month, the rest are supposed to transition over before the end of the year, assuming things go smoothly. But, I don't think any of it goes live at least until they announce their new pricing plans and such based on the CRTC's latest decision.

Yes, but those areas aren't serviced by TSI at the moment. So if you're a TekSavvy customer already, it's clearly not on those areas.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ahahah hoooooly poo poo, what a crap ISP they are. $150 a month for 120/20, but only if you bundle it with cable and they still only give you 170GB of transfer.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Armor-Piercing posted:

Teksavvy's website insists on using the same postal code for billing, shipping, and service addresses even if I say they're different addresses. Has anyone been able to get around this? I'd rather not have to sit through wait times and have to spell out two addresses and my billing info over the phone, if possible.

Go to the DSLReports.com forums and post a ticket in the TekSavvy Direct forum; it's their official support forum.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

StealthArcher posted:

So I'm in a house with roommates, none f whom are particularly technologically capable beyond using their own stuff. We have MTS 20 (her de har, but gently caress if I'm going to sit under limits, I pull 1-2 TB a month with this 20mbps, and I'm not asking everyone else to pay up for 200 bucks for something that should be standard in 20 loving 13), and unfortunately, a lovely 2wire modem-router. Now sure, under any other circumstance, I'd grab a speedstream, burn that 2wire-pos with a propane torch in protest and set my little Asus RTN16 behind the SS in bridge. Unfortunately they also get tv from MTS. I don't believe phone service though. Only really wondering here if I shove the thing into bridge forcefully, it isn't going to cop out on our cable right?

Shouldn't. Worst case scenario is that you just put it back to default.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Huh. Somehow, I didn't expect this to actually happen on Teksavvy:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, um, Teksavvy Has released a new video for Teksavvy 7

Now, based off that video, I feel like they're going to start hunting down and murdering N64 gamers or something...

What the crap does that even mean

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rand McNally posted:

gently caress Bell. I'm paying for "Bell Internet 6", the best DSL I can get. I'm in between two towns but on the main road.

I want to switch to the cable offering but all of the TekSavvy stories I've been hearing lately have been putting me off. That, and my postal code covers both rural and slightly less rural areas, and whenever I call, they're not exactly sure I can get it.

It's terrible trying to freelance from home with this poo poo, though. Those numbers are 10% better than my usual, and that is sad.

Yeah, if you can get Rogers, you can get Start or TekSavvy at this point. It's all anecdotal of course, but I've had few issues with TS (K-W here) - but they do have pretty terrible customer service; when we moved into our condo they were convinced we couldn't get service in this building. As it turns out, their postal code db wasn't updated since this is a new building and it has it's own postal code.

We're the only people in the building with TS or even Rogers, now, I think. Rogers was also confused by the code.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DarkJC posted:

I don't really see how that qualifies as terrible customer service. Pretty much anyone you tried to get service from would encounter the same issue. It's the downside of moving into a brand new building.

I didn't get into it, but they were super rude about it and basically said there's no possible way we could be right. It took over a month to get it straightened out.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

8ender posted:

I think they're consolidating some locations. London had two in lovely places and they merged them into one in a much better spot.

Mister Macys posted:

Do you know where ( yes, I could look it up, but :effort: )?

Bieeardo posted:

Living within scowling distance of Labatt Park and being at the mercy of the LTC, losing the ones on Richmond and on Wharncliffe was definitely frustrating, though I'll admit that the new place is a hell of a lot bigger, nicer and better stocked than either of the others.

At least there's still Megacomputer for minor parts emergencies.

I think one of my friends is still mourning the sudden closure of that big-box Tiger Direct store in town. I'm still baffled that someone even greenlit its opening.

Holy poo poo, other people who live in London. Moved here a few months ago.

As for relevancy we switched to Rogers because TekSavvy was being barred from provisioning new hookups over 60Mbps at the time, and so even though we had a 150Mbps package in Waterloo, we couldn't get it here. The Rogers service, to the credit of their black souls, has been solid; we're paying ~ $100 for 250/20, though I usually get more like 350/10.

My favorite part about having TekSavvy was they let me hook up my nice Motorola cable modem I'd brought with me from Time Warner in the States. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

8ender posted:

I'm so sorry.

Oh good someone else said it first so I don't have to worry about pissing someone off. Yeah, I know. SO got a fancy UWO job, though, so here we are! I found some pretty good coffee, so I guess things could be worse.

But gently caress do the LCBOs have lovely selections.