Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Dark One posted:

... but this new thing is sleek and scary looking and only has one antenna. :ohdear:

:eng101: Most modern routers have no external antennae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
That's true, you're right. I was so busy playing with Legos that I wasn't concentrating on my spelling.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Whoosh.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

slidebite posted:

Oh god :gizz:

Telus and Bell would absolutely poo poo themselves

Word.

I like how quickly Wind has gone from joke company to every single person I know getting on it because gently caress the big boys.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Kazinsal posted:

It's confusing as all hell to me that neither Canadian nor US Netflix have the Battlestar Galactica reboot but UK Netflix does. poo poo, it was *filmed* here.

Goes along with the licensing issues people are talking about. UK Netflix gets stuff US Netflix doesn't, even if it was made in the US and generally targeted at a US audience. On the other had, US Netflix gets a lot of stuff that UK Netflix doesn't, even if it was filmed in and aimed at UK audiences. There's money to be made from people in North America for shows filmed here, but comparitively little money to be made on imported UK shows, so Netflix can get them cheaply. Conversely, there's less money to be made in the UK for some US content, so they get it cheaply, but they may be behind on new seasons of UK shows because there's still a lot of money to be made there by selling them on DVD.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Quick question. The stock Shaw modems have a bunch of features either locked down or completely excised from their interfaces. If I get the modem changed over to bridge mode and get a third party router, will the equivalent features on the third party router work fine? What I mean to say is, there won't be some poo poo still lurking on the Shaw modem going "We're going to block/intercept X feature on the router from working because we don't allow it to work on our modems."

I'm assuming that doesn't happen and the router would work perfectly fine, I'm just super paranoid about Shaws terrible business practices and wouldn't put anything past them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Media Conlgomerate - "You wouldn't steal a car would you?"
Everyone - "Of course not!"
Media Conglomerate - "You see, people know it's wrong. Even if it was like digital media, and you could steal a car instantly, with no effort on your part, and there was almost zero chance you'd get caught, and even if you did you'd basically just get a letter saying you've been a naughty boy..."
Everyone - "Wait, no, if it was like that we'd definitely steal a car. Definitely."
Media Conglomerate - "Ohhh...... uhhhhh..... EVERYONE LOOK AWAY! WE'VE UPPED YOUR BANDWITH BY 5mbs! STAY PLACATED FOR ANOTHER 5 YEARS!"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I was a bit old at the time for the YTV PJ's, but anyone remember Sugar? That girl with the ultra-high voice who was all sugar and spice and girly and forever young?

I worked with a guy who was dating her at the time, and he always regaled us with endless stories of his sloppy, dirty bone-down sessions with her, and she did the voice during it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm right at the edge of cutting my cable, and I can just imagine the bullshit that is going to flow from the retention reps mouth.

It's gonna be great!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
No too worried about harassing phone calls. My phone doesn't even ring if the number isn't in my contact list. And poo poo mail goes in the recycling box right next to mailbox.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

37th Chamber posted:

I've not personally done this, but I've read that the latest firmwares have different passwords that have yet to been discovered, thus making it impossible.

Wait... does Telus not just do this for you if you ask for it? Shaw will set your modem to bridged mode without batting an eye.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Shumagorath posted:

It looks like DD-WRT's PPPoE numbers for the R7000's current firmware were correct. When I plug my desktop into the HomeHub I get the advertised speed of 950/100. Even Astraweb is hitting a solid 50MB/sec.

I really don't want to give Bell visibility of my home LAN so I might just live with the slower speed until there's a firmware fix. Here's hoping the speed improves when I reconnect it :(

Will there be a fix though? The R7000 has native hardware acceleration for many of its functions, but when you switch to DD-WRT, everything is only done in software, which is one of the reasons for slowdown.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just pricematch. DirectCanada, along with about five other large computer retailers in Canada, are all owned by NCIX. You can certainly orderly directly from DirectCanada, but NCIX will accept the pricematch with them without fail, and NCIX has the more robust shipping and processing system, so you'll get the item faster from them.

Edit: I think it's DirectCanada, BestDirect, MemoryExpress, and one other I can't remember that are all owned by NCIX. NCIX really has the market cornered in Canada, they even provide their own "competition".

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 19, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Shumagorath posted:

Not really; Canada Computers have a much better retail presence (aside from the one they closed near me :argh: ) and there's always NewEgg Canada.

I like CC when I was living in Toronto, but "retail presence" is hardly a factor in the computer parts business these days, when the vast majority of sales are online. And NewEgg Canada is big, but they're still small fry compared to NCIX right now. NCIX is pretty much the entire computer parts business in Canada at the current time, everyone else is just orbiting them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, but their whole business model has seemed quasi-sketchy since they started. It's been a while since I've been in one, but the last time I visited one of their stores about 10 years ago, the whole place had a "No officer, all these products just fell off the back of a truck." vibe.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

priznat posted:

Anyone ever go to ATIC in Vancouver? They had quite the scammy rep.

I told a guy specifically to NOT take his laptop there for repairs but he misheard me and thought I meant he should take it there. They held on to it for weeks without doing any work and when he went to go get it another disgruntled customer came in for some other reason and got into a fistfight with a sales guy.

So many of those shady places in Vancouver even still, surprising that NCIX's dominance hasn't killed them all off. Part of me wonder if these places are just hobbies or tax shelters or even some kind of immigration loophole (open a small business for easy citizenship).

Ohhhh man, Atic, what a poo poo-heap. They fully and totally embraced the computer store ethos of "There are eight sales-people sitting around doing nothing while one person helps a lineup of 40 people."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

priznat posted:

Their newer stores are much nicer and quicker, going to the Coquitlam one it is always weird to me to have salespeople at an ncix who are actually engaged and friendly. The metrotown one still sucks though.

I go to the Coquitlam one as well when I'm buying stuff in person. They're not perfect, but yeah, it's like heaven compared to their Metrotown dump.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
They'll probably need to access each room, just too see that they're getting the proper signal levels at each outlet.

Are you one of those weirdos trying to keep people out of certain room of your house?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm on a full VPN with Private Internet Access, and I haven't seen any major issues with Netflix so far. This is using the Windows 10 Netflix app as well. Occasionally it throws up an error code, and if a quick restart doesn't fix it, uninstalling the app and reinstalling (which takes all of ten seconds total) clears it up.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Siochain posted:

The wife had one of these show up. She started sharpening the knives and smiling at him.
He left.
I love my wife :)

STDH.txt

Who the hell would fall for some meat scam. Newsflash, people LOVE meat. No farmer or butcher ever had to go door to door because not enough people were buying their meat. They were probably selling carved up chinese prisoners, the leftovers they didn't sell to those Bodyworks exhibits.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I use PIA, and it's generally been good, but they're officially blocked by Netflix as of last week. They will occasionally get new endpoint IP's, but they said it's not going to be a priority to do it just to make Netflix work again.

So congrats Netflix! Another customer lost.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Is it a gay-rear end media landscape, or a gay rear end-media landscape?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

sbaldrick posted:

Shomi is shutting down in case you are one of the 5 people that use it.

I had an issue with my Shaw router a few months ago, and after they cleared it up the tech offered me 3 free months of Shomi. Even though it was free I declined, and the techs response was basically "Yeah.... Yeah, make sense....."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

8ender posted:

I'm not going to complain about the self destruction of Rogers Cable TV empire but I wonder what possessed Rogers management to invite the fox into the hen house.

Inevitability.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
C'mon guys, it's 2016. We're well on our way into the dystopian future movies predicted for us.

This ruling will somehow make it worse for us, in the end.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Welcome to first-gen Shaw Internet! Here is your new cable modem. Please don't touch it when it's plugged in. The entire shell is a giant heatsink and it will probably burn you if you do.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Pipeline and David is an older area, but it's surrounded by newer construction as the area went through a large expansion over the last decade. I don't have any experience with the speeds in the area, but I'd bet all the feeder lines into the area are quite new.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Kind of saw that NCIX thing coming for a while now. They order processing times have completely gone down the drain, and their customer service is pretty much non-existent at this point. Their stock levels on items have been bottoming out lately as well, and it really looked like they were not bothering to restock items as they sold out.

BUT, Memory Express and NCIX are the same company, so they probably just transitioning all assets and infrastructure to the ME name. If you've ever been in the ME store in Richmond as well, the place is loving massive inside, but they were only using about a third of the floorspace with the rest empty and roped off. Definitely had that vibe that they were waiting for "something" to happen to fill the space. I got the feeling it might have something to do with NCIX shuttering a while back, since as I said they're sister companies and NCIX has been loving up for a while now.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Coxswain Balls posted:

Where are you seeing this? I'm trying to look it up, but I can't find anything to indicate they're the same company.

NCIX, Memory Express, Direct Canada, Best Direct, and NXSource are all the same company.

Although just doing a bit of research, I think Memory Express may have been spun off into its own entity at this point. They were related several years ago when last I checked, but they seem separate now. That may have been a move to sever ties after ME started to get successful, and NCIX started to poo poo the bed.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Finally! Pay $2000 and they'll fly you in a gig of internet once a month.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hard to say, but I had ordered a 1080 TI from them near launch and they were never able to fulfill the order. Even by the point where all other stores had a regular amount of stock on hand at all times, NCIX was still all "We're backordered, with no projected date of delivery." And then even beyond that, they would be "Okay, your slated to get one from our next delivery", and then I didn't, and they told me again "Oh, sorry, yeah its' the next delivery!", and I still didn't get it. Some of us on the NCIX forums were trying to puzzle it out, and we had figured that they were allotting what stock they did get randomly, as people who had ordered well after had gotten their shipments first.

Eventually I just gave up and walked into a Memory Express and walked out with the card 10 minutes later with no fuss.

I guess for you it depends on how much they've pissed off Intel and whether Intel wants to bother sending them anything.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

teethgrinder posted:

Canada Computers is opening in Burnaby soon...

I haven't touched NCIX since CC became a thing in Ontario.

Wasn't CC already a "thing" before NCIX ever was?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, I remember CC always being very competitive with prices. When I lived in Toronto they were my go to place, and I only switched to NCIX after I moved back to the west coast.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I wonder if that's some sort of power move, cause really, it's kind of a lovely location. Bad access, bad parking, cramped inside.

It's definitely a high traffic area, but also a pain the rear end to get to when there's any amount of traffic.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Zigmidge posted:

You've evidently never been to Pacific Mall

I have.

But everything's a pain the rear end around Toronto.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I always loved those little hole in the wall hardware and software stores. You could always find weird poo poo in them. Software Etc, Babbages, etc etc.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

priznat posted:

I’m thinking of switching over to teksavvy now that they have 150Mb/s in my area (Lower Mainland Bc) once my Shaw contract is up in June. Any other competitors worth a look in the area? I saw Uniserve as well.

If you want less hassle than a switchover, I just got off the phone with Shaw and they matched Teksavvy's price of $70 for 150 down for 2 years. Plus they're upgrading all my other poo poo with them and it'll still end up being cheaper than just switching to Teksavvy.

Could be worth it to, because Shaw certainly has a history of being "bitchy" about getting their resold service switched over to the other company. "Oh, you want a new service from us? We can be there tomorrow!", "Oh, you want to cancel? That'll take a month, and we'll still keep 'accidentally' billing you for three months after that."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I swear Shaw is doing poo poo with torrents now. Despite their constant swearing up and down that they're not throttling or shaping traffic, torrents have gone to poo poo lately. Now I think they're just blocking/throttling when it detects certain trackers. I can torrent anything legit, linux distros, etc, just fine, almost as fast as my connection will allow. As soon as it's something a little more "fun", speeds are poo poo. Tested this on dozens of torrents at this point. Boring, everyday poo poo = fast as gently caress. Fun stuff = slow as poo poo.

Tried multiple VPN's, OpenVPN, different configs in the torrent client, ports, port forwarding, different mixes of TCP/UDP, nothing makes a difference. The only thing that seems to make a difference is which trackers are associated with which torrent.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hungry Computer posted:

Assuming the VPNs you tried were working properly, theres no way Shaw would have been able to detect which trackers you were connecting to.

Yeah, I don't know what it is really. Prior to about a month ago, even the slowest torrents I tried were at about 6mbs. Now I haven't seen one break 3, and usually they're at 1.5 or less. Except boring poo poo like the aforementioned distros and the like which will come down the pipe at 27mbs.

I typically use magnet links though, so maybe I'll try a non magnet tonight and see what turns up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
loving christ, turns out it was my VPN (PIA). Never had an issue with them before, and just assumed it was Shaw because the problems started when I got switched to their new billing and got a new modem from them. Which is weird, since PIA would deliver me some torrents, the boring poo poo, at good speeds, but suddenly the good stuff was slow.

Tried NordVPN, got slightly better, but not much. Now tried ExpressVPN, and everything I try chugs along nicely at 10+ megs a second.