Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Colour absolutely modifies the physical properties of a plastic, it's unavoidable. That said, you or I would probably never notice the differences, the additives are chosen for minimal interference, along the lines of 0.5% differences in elasticity, modulus etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Is he under the impression he invented the concept?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

CAD: what are people using? I looked into a solidworks license but price :rolleyes:, I use sketchup but it doesn't seem powerful enough for printer cad.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If painting with acrylic hobby paints you'd best prime first.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Not an Anthem posted:

BTW 3D printed gun parts is one of the big 3 "this may bring down 3D printing" things besides copying patented work.

What's the third?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The repman 3.2 is available with a dual head & has been for ages.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Obsurveyor posted:

If you're going to assemble a kit. Get a Hadron ORD Bot kit. For an extruder, all you need is to buy a Wade's extruder from ebay and a J-Head from the maker. For electronics, you can get a RAMPS assembled kit for $185 from Ultimachine. Add a $35 30A power supply and a MK1(don't buy a MK2 they are bad) heated bed. You can even save some more money and get a Chinese Arduino MEGA1280 off ebay and the drivers from pololu and just stick them on an assembled RAMPS board.

The nice thing about Hadrons is there are way fewer parts than assembling a RepRap and a lot less finicky about getting everything square. All aluminum so the thing is rigid as heck.

Serious post, if I get everything in this list, will I have a complete, decent printer? The ORD kit looks really nice, I can believe it's good but I don't know about anything else here.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Obsurveyor posted:

You would have a nice printer and everything but filament. You do need some stuff to complete the J-Head nozzle. Read the page on it but you need: a small 40mm fan for cooling(Digikey, ebay, scavenge video card/computer stuff), some PTFE insulation for the thermistor wires(McMaster), some kapton tape to secure the thermistor(McMaster) and some high-temp wire for the resistor(McMaster). You'll also need a stepper for the extruder. You can get one from Ultimachine. I can get you part numbers from McMaster if you need them. You'll also need some wire for wiring the steppers, limit switches and thermistor to RAMPS.

All the things and links I posted are the same things I bought and I like my printer a lot. Some people swear by the Chinese Arduinos but I just got the Ultimachine complete RAMPS. I got my power supply off ebay, a Sun Power 30A from a shipper in the US so I didn't have to wait weeks. I got my Wade's Hinged Accessible Extruder from someone on ebay. I bought a Mk1 off ebay but I don't use it because you don't need a heated bed for PLA if you are using painter's tape. You can get a 20A power supply if you aren't going to use a heated bed.

Is the stepper the nema 17? What voltage psu is required? Could you link or post an image of the extruder? I'm in the UK & there is quite a range of bits coming up on eBay, some with bolts & bearings, some without. I'll take part numbers of you don't mind.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Locus posted:

Quick question: Does anyone know of a good source for 5x8mm flexible couplers? Like this:

The only ones I'm seeing online are from China, with the associated shipping times.

At work I buy those from RS. Not the cheapest but next day delivery, plus when it's not your credit card you tend not to worry about every penny :haw:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Anyone in the UK after a cheap starter printer might want to check out the https://www.sumpod.com sumpod mdf basic for £280 shipped. Information is pretty thin but the kit looks like a solid little platform. They also do a massive aluminium version for £1600 (600x600x600 build platform). If it's a complete kit for that price I'll get one in January.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

What's the build platform made of? I learnt a good trick this week with a whiteboard pen - scribble on the bed & adjust until the marks come off but there's no force of contact

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

So, solidoodle owners, would you recommend it?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

On the plus side for cnc mills, if you have a strong accurate 3 axis machine an extruder head is just another tool change.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

But for under a hundred bucks you'd add an entirely new function set to your machine.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chubby Checker posted:

but why bother when you could just CNC a real part?

A/ you can
B/ material cost
C/ suitability to process

Hmm, I need a replacement battery cover for this ancient remote, lemme just blast through this $100 aluminium slab (exaggeration)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Could someone take a look at the list of parts in this mendelmax kit and tell me what's missing please?

http://creativemachines.co.uk/store/index.php?id_product=9&controller=product

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

peepsalot posted:

Filament? You'll probably want to print a spool holder as one of your first things too. I prefer one like this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:13329 You'll need some spare bearings and bolts or threaded rod for that though. vxb.com is cheap for bearings.

Besides that, looks to me like everything you need to get printing. Pretty decent price for a kit like that too.

Thanks, it looks complete but they mention it needing some bits "you can easily buy from the hardware store". Depending on this years bonus I might be all over this.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

You can also dry it out gently in the oven before use.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Here in the UK, Maplin has started taking pre-orders of the Velleman K8200, a £700 PLA only printer with a 200mm cube build area, 0.15mmm accuracy

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yes, but this is the first brick and mortar store in the UK selling a 3d printer. It's likely to be the first time most people have seen one. I'd not buy one for the reason you suggest but it's an interesting development.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pretty much. Maplin sell electronic components, some pc poo poo, gadgets, tools, soldering supplies, basic prototyping, that sort of crap

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

RS are now selling a branded version of the reprap ormerod for £500,

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/3d-printers/7933506/

Again, not the best or cheapest but a decent looking bit of kit with a heated bed, upgradeable to triple head.
I also noticed the following in the datasheet:

IR probing for self aligned printing - no bed adjustment required.

Any idea what this entails?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cakefool posted:

RS are now selling a branded version of the reprap ormerod for £500,

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/3d-printers/7933506/

Again, not the best or cheapest but a decent looking bit of kit with a heated bed, upgradeable to triple head.
I also noticed the following in the datasheet:

IR probing for self aligned printing - no bed adjustment required.

Any idea what this entails?

Someone talk me out of buying this. RS has great customer support and it should ship in a couple of days at most.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

What's unproven? The half-gantry design has been in use in small laboratory robots for decades, it's using fairly beefy extrusion so it'd be rigid enough.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Obsurveyor posted:

I meant that specific printer, not in general. This is hobby level stuff we're talking here. RepRapPro first blogged about it 6 days ago I believe.

You're going to have to do a better job of talking me out of it here :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If it happens at the same height every print I'd look at your z-axis with a fine toothed comb, something binds or jumps at that point.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maplin have the 3Doodler in stock here in the uk with 50 sticks of ABS for £99, I texted my wife asking her to talk me out of it.

Her reply was "no"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

UberVexer posted:

If you've got a hot glue gun around you can save yourself some money.

My glue gun doesn't take 3mm filament and electrically extrude :v:

neongrey posted:

It's a fun craft toy, but not useful for much.

I know that, but I bought it anyway. Took a bit of playing with but I think i got it now. Scribbling in midair is fun and I can delude myself I'll one day strap it to my mindstorms kit.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

You can get draft excluding tape from most hardware stores, apply this to the lip of the box and it seals pretty well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

MickRaider posted:

Ball screws would be fantastic for a 3d printer if someone could make a set for below $100 at a length beyond 8"

That and I still don't know how I feel about 8mm thread pitch.

Try https://www.igus.co.uk/wpck/3810/DryLin_Trapezgewindespindel for 10x2mm shaft max length 1m, @ £9ish per metre. They also do matching nuts, blocks and bearings out of their magic plastics, not to mention a thousand other sizes, and they're very generous with samples.

Windespindel :3:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

MickRaider posted:

Lead screw :\

So hard to find actual ball screws

:doh:

They'd still be good for a CNC router though right?

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 3, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pipes screensaver exported to cad?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/826799607/ibox-nano-worlds-smallest-least-expensive-3d-print

Opinions please, UV SLA printer for jewellery/board game figurine sized models, available under $300. I know someone was asking about this use-case recently.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

notadoctor posted:

Just wanted to pop into this thread and say hello. With as big as this thread is I don't see why a 3d printing subforum for DIY isn't justified.

Running on a Solidoodle 4 which I've modified pretty extensively to use linear bearings, e3d v6 hotend, RUMBA motherboard and the ever so awesome SUPERNIGHT PSU. Any other mod happy Solidoodle owners out there? About to beef up my carriage system further with flanged bearings and fishing line. Looking for dimensional precision because I'm anal and fishing line rocks because of that near-zero backlash!

1 88 page thread, running around a page a week isn't very high traffic. There are some very good machine-specific forums out there too. This place is however great for getting an opinion from a wide variety of people at once.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sono posted:

Anyone built an enclosure for a Printrbot Simple? Getting the bed up to 90 degrees is taking 20 minutes, which is a pain if I have a small job I want to do in ABS. Go buy a couple of sheets of acrylic? (~$100, eyeballing it.)

Can you check the voltage and current going to the bed to see if the supply is the issue?

A basic square acrylic enclosure is easy if it doesn't need to look perfect, are you thinking 5-sided box that simply lifts off?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sono posted:

What would I need to check voltage?

A volt-meter or multimeter, put the probes across the two leads going to the bed, see what the voltage starts as and drops to. If the supply is crappy it'll drop sharply, less voltage broadly speaking is less power.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That mod would also be a boon to people printing things like full size car bucks/molds, less issues aligning dozens of blocks vs a handful of longer blocks. It's a neat way to prove a concept.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Also of note: they lambast proprietary tech, then go on to proudly tell you about :

quote:

Tiko has almost no parts in common with any other 3D printer in the world. Period. With a few exceptions, every component inside Tiko is a bespoke part designed for rapid and inexpensive manufacture.

And

quote:

Instead, we developed a proprietary direct-drive system in which the motors are mounted onto carriages that drive themselves directly along the rails.

And finally

quote:

Once we had perfected Tiko’s mechanics, the electronics became the most expensive part of the printer. Most 3D printers use hobbyist electronics, which are great for tinkering but overpriced and underpowered for a consumer-grade product. So, we developed our own

So everything is custom made for us only, but still magically comes out cheaper than mass-produced-in-the-hundreds-of-thousands components.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Now I kinda want one to see how bad it is, but future me will just call me a cock when it turns up in 18 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Aurium posted:

You can bake out water, but can't do anything about air.

I'll have you know printing in a vacuum is the next big thing, just see my kickstar- :downsgun: