Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Krakkles posted:

Of course :) read the rest of the books, then read the bad thread.

I totally disagree re: GRRM. He has some questionable stuff but for the most part it's pulpy and lascivious, rather than disturbing/misogynistic/reductive. There are lots of female characters with agency, rape is always treated as a bad thing, etc. Denna is 3000% more disturbing than anything in ASOIAF, and it's all about the narrative/Rothfuss's attitude toward her (through Kothe).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

vintagepurple posted:

I haven't finished this thread, but I'm into 2015- is the These Books Suck and Patrick Rothfuss is the Spergiest Loser That Ever was Fat, and isn't even a Writer Platoon still posting?

These books have a lot of flaws, Kvothe at least, if not the whole series has misogynistic ideas, and Pat Rothfuss seems like a weirdo, he looks like the bastard child of GRRM and Tormund Giantsbane but jesus gently caress... Rothfuss is a self-made rich doting father and does charity work, you spergs have been spewing the same vitriole on the internet for four or five years. What the christ keeps bringing you presumable fat goonlords back to this thread other than hateful autism and jealousy? I was 18 when some of you jumped on the Rothfuss Sucks train, the Harry Potter films weren't finished and the Iraq War was ongoing. And you lot are still posting?

I'm richer than Rothfuss and he sucks.

Edit: Thought of a better one--Good father? Go home and play with your kids!

porfiria fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 7, 2016

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Solice Kirsk posted:

He's never gonna finish it because he's unable to finish any story. Even his stories in the story don't have endings.

Hard to finish a story that has no beginning or middle.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It always amuses me that there are people who sincerely want more of George R.R. Martin's books. It's not going to be worth it.

Gurm can actually write though, is the difference. I'm going to say something crazy: the latter GOT books may actually be better on a prose level. They're just edited like poo poo and they've lost all narrative momentum.

This is me going off 7+ year old memories though so take with grain of salt.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Rowling has a good idea of how to structure a narrative and a grasp of theme and character, which puts her leagues ahead of Rothfuss.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
He said somewhere upthread he really loves the Shannara series.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Gene Wolfe is a Good Writer.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I really think The Magicians is pedantic trash and not especially well-written but it's been a while.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The bad writing in fantasy is a feature, not a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Weirdly I know some genuinely musically talented people (not Lin Manuel) who really like Name of the Wind.

• Locked thread